Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,984 members, 7,828,485 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 10:23 AM

Naira Devaluation: Nigerian Students Face Tough Times In UK,Tuition Soars By 60% - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Naira Devaluation: Nigerian Students Face Tough Times In UK,Tuition Soars By 60% (31989 Views)

How Do I Pay UK Tuition Fee From Nigeria? Here's Your Guide / Getting Form A For Paying UK Tuition Fees / Over Unpaid Scholarships: Hundreds Of Nigerian Students Face Deportation In UK (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Naira Devaluation: Nigerian Students Face Tough Times In UK,Tuition Soars By 60% by Almightyprosper: 5:35pm On Jul 12, 2023
Most of them schooling abroad are rich
Re: Naira Devaluation: Nigerian Students Face Tough Times In UK,Tuition Soars By 60% by Blaze14k: 5:37pm On Jul 12, 2023
Paulyaweh:
This part i support.
Why should government subsidize your schools fees.
If you can't pay the fee at open market rate then you shouldn't be schooling where you cant afford.

Form A, PTA, Subsidy on trips to mecca and Israel should all be stopped.
If you can't afford dont pass the cost to Nigeria

You dey talk because ur parents no dey sponsor u abroad. I don't blame u cos u have nothing doing na bitterness go kill u

2 Likes

Re: Naira Devaluation: Nigerian Students Face Tough Times In UK,Tuition Soars By 60% by Dijita: 5:50pm On Jul 12, 2023
Once a while, I come across sensible post on this forum. You are right. The previous rate was a subsidy for the rich. How many ordinary Nigerians can afford to buy plane ticket to Abuja talk less of sending their children abroad? Instead of subsidizing foreign travels and the importation of what we can manufacture at home, let the money be use for infrastructures development.
My only concern is that they will still loot the money that accrue from these policies and the country may not benefit.

RedpillAnalyst:
This is good move from Asiwaju.

This benefits the majority --> The real suffering Nigerians who can not afford a plane ticket even to Ghana.

Students in UK give no care about the average Nigerians seeing shege on daily basis.

All they do is start silly tiktoks and unfunny Instagram posts when they step out of Nigerian shores.

The spread between 415 and 750 for dollars is too much and the abusers are benefitting from it than 200 Million helpless Nigerians.

If these benefit the populace then so be it.

1 Like

Re: Naira Devaluation: Nigerian Students Face Tough Times In UK,Tuition Soars By 60% by RedpillAnalyst: 5:51pm On Jul 12, 2023
Angelfrost:

How exactly is the average Nigerian benefiting?!!

Maybe you don't know the direct impact of currency devaluation on the economic life and cost of living of a nation that largely depends on imports... A nation that can't even point at a tangible export trade commodity!

Don't be too quick to rejoice over things affecting those more privileged than you are as though you are exempt from the same strain!

Take healthcare and essential drugs for instance, a sachet of top antibiotics sold for 1000 prior to this administration, now goes for over 3500!

This means basic healthcare has ceased to be basic!

Where do importers who are not big dogs or government cronies get dollars or pounds for importation?

Let's forget average hustling aliexpress dropshipper. Getting official dollars or pounds at official rate has not always been accessible to common folks since forever.

Subsidy removal and Naira devaluation have stopped the oligarchs and abusers from milking Nigeria dry. If followed through and done right. It will be beneficial to the masses in a long run.

The world is currently in a mess and not only Nigerians are experiencing economic turmoil.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naira Devaluation: Nigerian Students Face Tough Times In UK,Tuition Soars By 60% by ojonugba2014(m): 5:54pm On Jul 12, 2023
This is just the beginning.

Una never see anything

1 Like

Re: Naira Devaluation: Nigerian Students Face Tough Times In UK,Tuition Soars By 60% by millionboi2: 5:54pm On Jul 12, 2023
My own be say E go still favor me and my family

2 Likes

Re: Naira Devaluation: Nigerian Students Face Tough Times In UK,Tuition Soars By 60% by Tekahashi: 5:55pm On Jul 12, 2023
this is just the beginning

1 Like

Re: Naira Devaluation: Nigerian Students Face Tough Times In UK,Tuition Soars By 60% by FROGMAN101(m): 5:55pm On Jul 12, 2023
Larry1960:

My brother that is the case my initial budget for Canada and uk was 10m and 14M
As it stands now I need 17m for Canada and 28M for UK . I just had to abandon my travel plans. I would be removing my money in the bank now I kept for 1month in HiDA account this Friday imagine the stupid bank gave me 30k interest on Millions wey I put I wan Carry money make I go buy land . Tinibu na idiot

Honestly saving in Naira is rapidly becoming a fruitless endeavor.

Just have money for bills and emergency funds. Saving in Naira is worthless.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naira Devaluation: Nigerian Students Face Tough Times In UK,Tuition Soars By 60% by bionixs: 5:56pm On Jul 12, 2023
TemplarLandry:
Dayumnn. Times are hard.

I dedicate โ€œLife Goes Onโ€ by MJG and 8 Ball to Nigerian students in the struggle. Solemn jam!
I hope say you know who e go favor
Re: Naira Devaluation: Nigerian Students Face Tough Times In UK,Tuition Soars By 60% by bionixs: 5:57pm On Jul 12, 2023
I hope say by now una know who e go favor

1 Like

Re: Naira Devaluation: Nigerian Students Face Tough Times In UK,Tuition Soars By 60% by bionixs: 5:58pm On Jul 12, 2023
ogododo:
Many no go fit finish school be dat. BAT go show una shege, na bansa remain small.
Nlfpmod
DEM GO SEE SHEGE , WALAHI !

1 Like

Re: Naira Devaluation: Nigerian Students Face Tough Times In UK,Tuition Soars By 60% by RedpillAnalyst: 5:59pm On Jul 12, 2023
Dijita:

Once a while, I come across sensible post on this forum. You are right. The previous rate was a subsidy for the rich. How many ordinary Nigerians can afford to buy plane ticket to Abuja talk less of sending their children abroad? Instead of subsidizing foreign travels and the importation of what we can manufacture at home, let the money be use for infrastructures development.
My only concern is that they will still loot the money that accrue from these policies and the country may not benefit.

If the political will is followed through it will get better.

The current administration is not 100% clean or saint,but they have shown interest in fighting the elites from further making Nigerians suffer.

People outside Nigeria are somewhat happy to escape Nigeria and do not care much about others and new policies should be aimed at benefitting the real Nigerians and not the "Thank God I don Japa"

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naira Devaluation: Nigerian Students Face Tough Times In UK,Tuition Soars By 60% by Inosky: 6:03pm On Jul 12, 2023
Wahala promax for all those that voted for agbado. Gazelle gagaragaa ๐Ÿ˜‚ una never see something, na pepper ๐ŸŒถ๏ธ una go see. God is not foolish to help you when you consciously make foolish mistake...you see a criminal you said he's better than a good man/leader.
Re: Naira Devaluation: Nigerian Students Face Tough Times In UK,Tuition Soars By 60% by badoh(m): 6:03pm On Jul 12, 2023
Mayfeld:

Times are hard but it's okay as long as its your brother that is making it hard.

The mentality of an average agbado supporter.

This is how Nigeria entered one chance for 8 years under Buhari. Because the people who were supposed to reprimand him were shielding him because he's their brother. Now see us today, another 8 years is about to go down the drain. A child that was born in 2015 when APC took over will be 16 when Tinubu leaves office, what will his future look like when bad policies must have hindered his parents from bringing him up properly? Countless lives wasted just so you can brag on the internet about your tribe being in power, when in reality you can't afford basic necessities due to nail-biting hardship brought upon you by that your so-called brother!
I want to ask you, what advise do you have for the government to ameliorate the sufferings of the masses. If you were to be the president, will you sustain the fuel subsidy and allow CBN official and parallel market to co-exist side by side instead of collapsing them? What would you have done differently to put Nigeria on the path of recovery?

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Naira Devaluation: Nigerian Students Face Tough Times In UK,Tuition Soars By 60% by MT: 6:04pm On Jul 12, 2023
Angelfrost:

How exactly is the average Nigerian benefiting?!!

Maybe you don't know the direct impact of currency devaluation on the economic life and cost of living of a nation that largely depends on imports... A nation that can't even point at a tangible export trade commodity!

Don't be too quick to rejoice over things affecting those more privileged than you are as though you are exempt from the same strain!

Take healthcare and essential drugs for instance, a sachet of top antibiotics sold for 1000 prior to this administration, now goes for over 3500!

This means basic healthcare has ceased to be basic!

Permit me to join issue with you, in as much we can air our opinion in civil manner.

There are only 2 ways for this administration to go:

1. Retain the old way as it was.

2. This new way

The First way will bankrupt the country as we keep on borrowing to drive our budget. The current budget that Tinubu inherited is to be implemented by 40% crude oil sales and 60% borrowing. It is not sustainable. We are heading the way of Sri Lanka.

The Second way will be tough at the start. Our budget wont be driven by 60% borrowing any longer. We will save money that can be used to build infrastructure. When people realise that the item you use to import has become so expensive, people will think out of the box to create similar thing that will work locally. That was how the new China was birthed.

There are no easy way for this current administration. I buy fuel for 508 naira as well but it is a price we have to pay for years of badly managed economy.

If you know of the 3rd way you feel this current administration should have gone or you want to pick holes in what I have stated, I will be willing to read from you and learn.

Thank you!

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Naira Devaluation: Nigerian Students Face Tough Times In UK,Tuition Soars By 60% by Larry1960: 6:08pm On Jul 12, 2023
FROGMAN101:

Honestly saving in Naira is rapidly becoming a fruitless endeavor.

Just have money for bills and emergency funds. Saving in Naira is worthless.

And those banks are very wicked imagine Access bank wey I go put money for their HiDA account #15M for one month when I check the balance for the account I see say na 30k interest for one month and the marketer just sweet talk me telling me 6percent for HIDA
If I carry that money do business for 1month I no how much e go generate in profit for me

These banks Dem be rip off ooooo
But if you wan go borrow money from them I know how much Dem go charge person for interest

Make I go comot the money this Friday from the useless bank

2 Likes

Re: Naira Devaluation: Nigerian Students Face Tough Times In UK,Tuition Soars By 60% by Ashez: 6:13pm On Jul 12, 2023
Mayfeld:

Times are hard but it's okay as long as its your brother that is making it hard.

This is how Nigeria entered one chance for 8 years under Buhari. Because the people who were supposed to reprimand him were shielding him because he's their brother. Now see us today, another 8 years is about to go down the drain. A child that was born in 2015 when APC took over will be 16 when Tinubu leaves office, what will his future look like when bad policies must have hindered his parents from bringing him up properly? Countless lives wasted just so you can brag on the internet about your tribe being in power, when in reality you can't afford basic necessities due to nail-biting hardship brought upon you by that your so-called brother!
Midnight is almost coming to an over Brother... The Day is breaking
The wicked will not rest, The Light is coming and Nigeria will be liberated.
Re: Naira Devaluation: Nigerian Students Face Tough Times In UK,Tuition Soars By 60% by Araujo: 6:38pm On Jul 12, 2023
Re: Naira Devaluation: Nigerian Students Face Tough Times In UK,Tuition Soars By 60% by spencekat(m): 6:45pm On Jul 12, 2023
youngreezy:
make una come back
Come do wetin?
Re: Naira Devaluation: Nigerian Students Face Tough Times In UK,Tuition Soars By 60% by georgeakins: 6:46pm On Jul 12, 2023
Mayfeld:

Obi has lost, try to move on.
He is not fit to be president of Nigeria.
But one day, he will be Biaflan president

2 Likes

Re: Naira Devaluation: Nigerian Students Face Tough Times In UK,Tuition Soars By 60% by IbnB: 6:48pm On Jul 12, 2023
Akanbi olodo ide! grin
Re: Naira Devaluation: Nigerian Students Face Tough Times In UK,Tuition Soars By 60% by Khafsun: 6:49pm On Jul 12, 2023
tatatar:
Why screaming... Isn't "Nigeria a useless country that does nothing for them"
So 60% of your school fees even after japa is still subsidized by your country sad
You have low comprehension skills

1 Like

Re: Naira Devaluation: Nigerian Students Face Tough Times In UK,Tuition Soars By 60% by OvertheTop(m): 6:49pm On Jul 12, 2023
Re: Naira Devaluation: Nigerian Students Face Tough Times In UK,Tuition Soars By 60% by georgeakins: 6:50pm On Jul 12, 2023
Ashez:

Midnight is almost coming to an over Brother... The Day is breaking
The wicked will not rest, The Light is coming and Nigeria will be liberated.

You go tire!
Jagaban will be here for 8 years
Re: Naira Devaluation: Nigerian Students Face Tough Times In UK,Tuition Soars By 60% by Paulyaweh(m): 6:56pm On Jul 12, 2023
tatatar:
Why screaming... Isn't "Nigeria a useless country that does nothing for them"
So 60% of your school fees even after japa is still subsidized by your country sad

I don't understand such people

Some that have relocated to US and other countries were still using their Nigerian account to do PTA and school fees, madness.
Yet they lambast the country over there.
Wicked

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naira Devaluation: Nigerian Students Face Tough Times In UK,Tuition Soars By 60% by Bovis(m): 6:56pm On Jul 12, 2023
priceactionx:
Next year might be more also..
Also summer travellers put more pressure on the exchange rates. As long as Nigeria keep depending on foreign goods and businesses, nothing can stop the free fall. Instead of them travelling out, why can't we make Nigeria a hub of summer travellers attention? Direct foreign investment? But our leaders are so clueless and all they know how to do is looting, looting, looting. Where is tinapa today?
Hopefully this new administration will change the narratives and proactive to bring in strong companies to establish their base here It will favour me and my family wink

Youโ€™re literally the only person that made a reasonable comment on the issue. Making money requires creativity, like art - people should think of ways to exploit the current market situation. Iโ€™m not going to give the solutions away because they are obvious and I want any young person reading this to utilise their brains ๐Ÿ˜‰

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Naira Devaluation: Nigerian Students Face Tough Times In UK,Tuition Soars By 60% by Paulyaweh(m): 7:01pm On Jul 12, 2023
Blaze14k:

You dey talk because ur parents no dey sponsor u abroad. I don't blame u cos u have nothing doing na bitterness go kill u
You are funny.
Please reason correctly.
You go and school abroad with the plan of relocating some even relocate completely.
Yet you are applying for PTA and form A in Nigeria.
Government will subsidize school fees in government schools in Nigeria and still subsidize school fees for those schooling outside, subsidize PTA for you to travel abroad and shop, subside trips for religious trips for both Christians and Muslims
All tthis against USD with a spread of like 300naira per dollar.
Haba
Come on!!
Should such fund not be used instead to develop our education sector..
Of course under a government with correct head

Does it make sense

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naira Devaluation: Nigerian Students Face Tough Times In UK,Tuition Soars By 60% by easytig(m): 7:03pm On Jul 12, 2023
Giving tinubu federal power is like keeping a goat in a yam barn,or dangling banana in front of monkey.tinubu will finish the country patapata.he is way too corrupt to lead Nigeria.
Re: Naira Devaluation: Nigerian Students Face Tough Times In UK,Tuition Soars By 60% by Checkwell: 7:07pm On Jul 12, 2023
Hmmm.
Re: Naira Devaluation: Nigerian Students Face Tough Times In UK,Tuition Soars By 60% by Blaze14k: 7:11pm On Jul 12, 2023
Paulyaweh:

You are funny.
Please reason correctly.
You go and school abroad with the plan of relocating some even relocate completely.
Yet you are applying for PTA and form A in Nigeria.
Government will subsidize school fees in government schools in Nigeria and still subsidize school fees for those schooling outside, subsidize PTA for you to travel abroad and shop, subside trips for religious trips for both Christians and Muslims.
Come on!!
Should such fund not be used instead to develop our education sector..

Does it make sense

Bros u no get sense go to united kingdom and learn what is called subsidy. The UK subsidize health insurance, technology, housing, education, electric vehicles and sustainable solutions by providing financial help through loans, grants and tax returns. Likewise United States and so many other countries.

Nigeria cant afford to subsidize anything due to mismanagement and weak implementation of policies. Stop allowing those guys up there to deceive you the country is in a very big mess. The only time this country will work is when tinubu gets his ass of Aso rock and go to the streets. That's why we want a vibrant and younger person to rule us.

You guys are so stupid cos the mass will only eat crumbs of tinubu's administration while the rich gets richer

2 Likes

Re: Naira Devaluation: Nigerian Students Face Tough Times In UK,Tuition Soars By 60% by Osilama1: 7:12pm On Jul 12, 2023
Buddha3:
We've been trying to point out these things, but Yoruba Nigerians have persistently attacked us and painted Tinubu as the best thing after Spanish margaritas.

It is just beginning. Two months from today, over half the population of Nigeria is going to be out in the streets begging to feed.
those guys are elites private skool de come over and study here Why should govt subsidize what ll benefit UK economy

2 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Types Of People At A Secondary School Reunion / UNN Zoology Students Afraid To Carry Snakes During Practical Class (Video) / I Feel Like I Wasted My Time On Education

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.