Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,852 members, 7,813,907 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 09:11 PM

Rethinking My Stay In Nigeria - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Rethinking My Stay In Nigeria (978 Views)

My Girl Said She Can't Marry Me Yet While I Stay In Selfcon, Anything Wrong With / Pics Of The Uncompleted Building I Stay In / Should A Husband And Wife Stay In Separate Rooms? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rethinking My Stay In Nigeria by Mille: 6:56pm On Jul 13, 2023
To be clear, I love living in Nigeria. I have had the best social standing and quality of life here. Coupled with the social support readily available to me, I am not in any hurry to leave Nigeria. I have tasted life on the other side and I know what to expect.

But the issue is I am very prone to Malaria. Growing up, I used to treat malaria like 6-7 times a year to the point that I know almost the nurses and doctors in any area I move to. As an adult making bread, I have been able to reduce that to like 2 times a year with very proactive actions that doesn't come cheap. I am very rarely down with anything other than malaria.

A few days ago, my 2-year old daughter got malaria for the first time while I was also down with it. I had to forget about my own and ensure she got the best treatment. I was restless and worried for the 2-3 days she was down. Now I can't even bear the thought of seeing her down with it again not to even talk about having it constantly.

I have been looking at options abroad (Germany job seeker visa, Netherlands orientation visa, Sweden job seeker visa), all of which I qualify for easily. Is there a way to know if she is prone to Malaria or it's just a one time thing? I am the only one prone to Malaria amongst my siblings. The others rarely get sick at all.

Btw; I am AA and my daughter is AA too. I am already feeling I would be doing her a huge favor moving to a country without any chance of malaria occurrence.

3 Likes

Re: Rethinking My Stay In Nigeria by Blackestjunior(m): 6:57pm On Jul 13, 2023
Bros no reason am japka NOW!

LIKE to stay
SHARE for japa

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rethinking My Stay In Nigeria by SamuelLoch: 7:11pm On Jul 13, 2023
Mille:
To be clear, I love living in Nigeria. I have had the best social standing and quality of life here. Coupled with the social support readily available to me, I am not in any hurry to leave Nigeria. I have tasted life on the other side and I know what to expect.

But the issue is I am very prone to Malaria. Growing up, I used to treat malaria like 6-7 times a year to the point that I know almost the nurses and doctors in any area I move to. As an adult making bread, I have been able to reduce that to like 2 times a year with very proactive actions that doesn't come cheap. I am very rarely down with anything other than malaria.

A few days ago, my 2-year old daughter got malaria for the first time while I was also down with it. I had to forget about my own and ensure she got the best treatment. I was restless and worried for the 2-3 days she was down. Now I can't even bear the thought of seeing her down with it again not to even talk about having it constantly.

I have been looking at options abroad (Germany job seeker visa, Netherlands orientation visa, Sweden job seeker visa), all of which I qualify for easily. Is there a way to know if she is prone to Malaria or it's just a one time thing? I am the only one prone to Malaria amongst my siblings. The others rarely get sick at all.

Btw; I am AA and my daughter is AA too. I am already feeling I would be doing her a huge favor moving to a country without any chance of malaria occurrence.

So, in summary, malaria is the reason why you want to leave Nigeria?
As in treating malaria for yourself and your daughter.

You should be treating malaria every 3 months. An advice I got from a nurse last year to avoid back-to-back injection.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rethinking My Stay In Nigeria by Purvan(m): 7:40pm On Jul 13, 2023
This is super story!!!
Re: Rethinking My Stay In Nigeria by Mille: 7:48pm On Jul 13, 2023
SamuelLoch:

So, in summary, malaria is the reason why you want to leave Nigeria?
As in treating malaria for yourself and your daughter.

You should be treating malaria every 3 months. An advice I got from a nurse last year to avoid back-to-back injection.

My brother, if only you saw how scared I was when my daughter was sick. I can't imagine that happening consistently.
Re: Rethinking My Stay In Nigeria by Klass99(f): 7:52pm On Jul 13, 2023

1 Like

Re: Rethinking My Stay In Nigeria by Mille: 8:02pm On Jul 13, 2023
Klass99:

Lol 🤣, you make it sound like his reasons are not good enough and he should sit his butt down in Naija.

Some Nigerians have japa-ed because people they know personally did so and they didn't want to feel left out or left behind.

Malaria is a very good reason to japa too.......or you don't think so?

Funny.

Because I have actually studied in both France and Germany and visited many other countries including the UK. I only returned a few years ago before having my daughter.

If I want to japa, I don't need to make any excuse.

2 Likes

Re: Rethinking My Stay In Nigeria by Klass99(f): 8:08pm On Jul 13, 2023

2 Likes

Re: Rethinking My Stay In Nigeria by JeffreyJunior: 8:09pm On Jul 13, 2023
I can do anything for my daughter so if malaria becomes an issue for her, I'm leaving the country the next day if I can. I can't joke with my daughter's concerns, that is me.

But if na son I have, he go need stick his ass down and enjoy the kwantiri his father has endured all his life, including malaria. grin

It's your call to make though.
Re: Rethinking My Stay In Nigeria by garriAndsugar: 8:09pm On Jul 13, 2023
Are you a man or woman, where is your wife or husband
Re: Rethinking My Stay In Nigeria by SamuelLoch: 7:50am On Jul 14, 2023
Mille:

My brother, if only you saw how scared I was when my daughter was sick. I can't imagine that happening consistently.

I understand, for real. Strong man body go just calm down.
If you eventually settle to leave, please do your research thoroughly. God be with you.

Till then, you can meet the nurse for recommendations. Mine recommended that I treat malaria every 3 months. I started to count last year December, so far, na only stress from work don hit me this year. I plan to go for midyear checkup this month though
Re: Rethinking My Stay In Nigeria by SamuelLoch: 7:56am On Jul 14, 2023
Klass99:

Lol 🤣, you make it sound like his reasons are not good enough and he should sit his butt down in Naija.

Some Nigerians have japa-ed because people they know personally did so and they didn't want to feel left out or left behind.

Malaria is a very good reason to japa too.......or you don't think so?

Abi na
I was reading and trying to see the reasons but na only malaria I see there. I dont think I've heard malaria as a reason to japa before 🤣 but then, it's a valid reason because malaria no dey for some countries abroad.

1 Like

Re: Rethinking My Stay In Nigeria by managingpartner(f): 10:40am On Jul 14, 2023
Olodo, since when share become shear, japa- japka.

Blackestjunior:
Bros no reason am japka NOW!

LIKE to stay
SHEAR for japka
Re: Rethinking My Stay In Nigeria by Blackestjunior(m): 12:09pm On Jul 14, 2023
managingpartner:

Olodo, since when share become shear, japa- japka.

Dearest, Nobody Is perfect besides have modified It.
Re: Rethinking My Stay In Nigeria by Houseofglam7(f): 2:14pm On Jul 14, 2023
Do what’s best for your daughter and yourself.
Good luck 😊
Re: Rethinking My Stay In Nigeria by meobizy(f): 4:23pm On Jul 14, 2023
Japa and stop asking JAMB questions.

1 Like

Re: Rethinking My Stay In Nigeria by cococandy(f): 4:38pm On Jul 14, 2023
Since malaria didn’t kill me in this life I don’t think anything else can. That thing is a very serious something. It’s just that we are now used to it and carry on as usual. But man I’ve never been as sick as I used to be whenever I’d have malaria as a kid. Moving because of it is totally valid
Re: Rethinking My Stay In Nigeria by Mille: 5:32pm On Jul 14, 2023
cococandy:
Since malaria didn’t kill me in this life I don’t think anything else can. That thing is a very serious something. It’s just that we are now used to it and carry on as usual. But man I’ve never been as sick as I used to be whenever I’d have malaria as a kid. Moving because of it is totally valid

That's my belief too. The things malaria have showed me in this life. Has yours stopped now? How did you do it?
Re: Rethinking My Stay In Nigeria by cococandy(f): 6:10pm On Jul 14, 2023
Mille:

That's my belief too. The things malaria have showed me in this life. Has yours stopped now? How did you do it?

It happened mostly when I was a kid. Used to be sick as dog all the frigging time. ugh 😑
But as I got older the frequency decreased and then my mom always made sure I got prophylaxis every 3 months whether I was sick or not.

Now I don’t get sick anymore. Also I’m not in the country so I can’t say what would happen if I were permanently back home. I might start getting sick again who knows

2 Likes

Re: Rethinking My Stay In Nigeria by zed7: 7:40pm On Jul 14, 2023
You must be a British living in naija. A typical Nigerian knows malaria is not a problem, except you're very poor and can't afford treatment. Even them, poor people manage to treat it with herbs.

My kids have had malaria a lot when they were young but their body has acclimatised.

Travel if you want, but don't blame it on malaria. Treating malaria twice a year is child's play, they was a time in my life that malaria was coming every month like a period. That time has passed, thankfully, we nor die.
Re: Rethinking My Stay In Nigeria by fineboynl(m): 8:11pm On Jul 14, 2023
Currently if I have the means to live in cleaner clim than Nigeria without needing to sweat or work too hard. I will not even look back.

I'm AA and sick malaria very week. Despite the money I keep spending to keep them away.

The only thing now is that malaria hardly broke me down this days. It only give me the symptoms. As I am typing this I took malaria drugs 3 hours ago.

To reduce your chance of getting malaria inside you house. You know those big colored camphor. Scatter them all tight corners the house where mosquito will likely hide and in particularly the widows that's their main entrance. Although it doesn't come cheap that camphor this day is so expensive. But mosquito will stay away from your house. But you can still get malaria outside the house.

So in all. I will advise you leave this country. Because I will do the same if I have my way.
Re: Rethinking My Stay In Nigeria by Kemadealadire(f): 2:20pm On Jul 15, 2023
Lol, your choice. I think you should work on building stronger immune system though.
Re: Rethinking My Stay In Nigeria by dettolgel: 7:50am On Sep 15, 2023
Oga I didn't see Russia on that your list what happened?

(1) (Reply)

Change You Mine / To Forgive Is Divine: Men Talk Is Cheap! / My Dad Does Not Trust Me

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.