Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,457 members, 7,816,070 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:16 AM

My Experience In A Public Hospital In FCT - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / My Experience In A Public Hospital In FCT (25281 Views)

60-Year-Old Fake Doctor Treating COVID-19 Patients Arrested In FCT / Policemen Without Face-Masks Try To Arrest Man For Not Wearing Face Mask In FCT / Somuvie Sonia Cleans Up Jabi Lake To Safeguard Water Bodies, Reduce Dumps In FCT (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Experience In A Public Hospital In FCT by Deeprooted: 5:30am On Jul 14, 2023
After the declaration of state of emergency in the agricultural sector, our health sector needs such immediate attention.

I was in a public health center in the federal capital territory and my experience was not good.

First is the attitude of the health workers. These people need to be given orientation on how to relate with people. They insult patients, very rude and lack empathy.

Secondly, my perspective changed when I see the level of work these guys were handling. A single doctor on call attending to 83 patients! The doctors and nurses are obviously worn out, hence their attitude ( not a justification though)

I sheded tears for 3 children brought in but could not get the attention of the doctor because she was clearly tired and completely worn out. She was the only one in the entire Emergency Paediatric Unit (EPU).

I then saw why most of my doctor friends left the country.

If you're healthy, you don't know what God is doing for you.

More health workers are urgently needed but I was informed that no new doctors were employed in the last few years back despite the departure of most consultants from the country.

Pray you don't fall sick!

178 Likes 17 Shares

Re: My Experience In A Public Hospital In FCT by TemplarLandry: 5:33am On Jul 14, 2023
Well…

1 Like

Re: My Experience In A Public Hospital In FCT by libertyfather(m): 5:45am On Jul 14, 2023
The issue is more is needed to be done in health sector, what you are seeing there is as a result of poor economy,treatment in public hospital is far cheaper than private one so expect 100times of visitors that go there compare to private hospitals I got to know this not long ago, owe Almighty GOD big thanks for that.....at times you have to be at the hospital as early as 6.30am booking space so you see the doctor early, when I say early it can be around 11am to 12pm ......only God will help us

54 Likes 5 Shares

Re: My Experience In A Public Hospital In FCT by Deeprooted: 6:14am On Jul 14, 2023
libertyfather:
The issue is more is needed to be done in health sector, what you are seeing there is as a result of poor economy,treatment in public hospital is far cheaper than private one so expect 100times of visitors that go there compare to private hospitals I got to know this not long ago, owe Almighty GOD big thanks for that.....at times you have to be at the hospital as early as 6.30am booking space so you see the doctor early, when I say early it can be around 11am to 12pm ......only God will help us

More workers should be employed

12 Likes

Re: My Experience In A Public Hospital In FCT by tommy589(m): 7:33am On Jul 14, 2023
libertyfather:

I used to have that thought that they provide cheaper treatment until I discovered recently it cost more.

Someone close to me was asked to come back for a surgical operation in six months due to the waiting list of people for the operation. Six months arrived, operation was extended another six months due to waiting list. I advised private hospital. New tests were conducted at cheaper costs and surgical operation at the private hospital was just a little more than half the price of state teaching hospital visited before

Not that government is not subsidising to make it cheaper,but over 90% of the staffs are involved in this racketeering.

81 Likes

Re: My Experience In A Public Hospital In FCT by Deeprooted: 7:35am On Jul 14, 2023
tommy589:

I used to have that thought that they provide cheaper treatment until I discovered recently it cost more.

Someone close to me was asked to come back for a surgical operation in six months due to the waiting list of people for the operation. Six months arrived, operation was extended another six months due to waiting list. I advised private hospital. New tests were conducted at cheaper costs and surgical operation was a little more than half the price of state teaching hospital

Not that government is not subsidising to make it cheaper,but over 90% of the staffs are involved in this racketeering.

Thanks for the clarification. Some people think it's poverty that takes people to public health centers. Some are very very expressive

26 Likes

Re: My Experience In A Public Hospital In FCT by Deeprooted: 7:36am On Jul 14, 2023
Kudman:
Hmm

E reach to be speechless!

4 Likes

Re: My Experience In A Public Hospital In FCT by tommy589(m): 7:40am On Jul 14, 2023
Deeprooted:

Thanks for the clarification. Some people think it's poverty that takes people to public health centers. Some are very very expressive

This last experience made me to remember past experiences I had with health centre close to me. I paid more for blood sugar tests and other blood tests too

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience In A Public Hospital In FCT by Deeprooted: 7:48am On Jul 14, 2023
tommy589:

This last experience made me to remember past experiences I had with health centre close to me. I paid more for blood sugar tests and other blood tests too

Exactly.
Re: My Experience In A Public Hospital In FCT by KellyBestt: 10:20am On Jul 14, 2023

Re: My Experience In A Public Hospital In FCT by Obakoolex(m): 10:20am On Jul 14, 2023
Sincerely speaking the kind of mosquitoes you encounter in government hospitals compared to those at home can be likened to CIA vs amotekun grin

I went to check someone at a government hospital and I was bitten by at least 500 mosquitoes within 45 minutes grin grin

48 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience In A Public Hospital In FCT by Lannyjoe4u: 10:21am On Jul 14, 2023
Big attention

1 Like

Re: My Experience In A Public Hospital In FCT by Beremx(f): 10:21am On Jul 14, 2023
A doctor attending to over 80 patients? With the level of migration of our doctors, patients will be the one treating one another

It is well o!

37 Likes 5 Shares

Re: My Experience In A Public Hospital In FCT by Rich4god(m): 10:21am On Jul 14, 2023
Sometimes the issue with our public hospitals doesn't entirely lie on the ground workers, but on top officers of the hospital. When you have a hospital where patients troop in numbers, it doesn't take rocket science to know that more hands are needed to ensure that patients are attended to as soon as they arrive. The top people in the hospital know but they won't employ. Some times they will employ ghost workers and embezzle salary.

In most of our public hospitals, you will see a patient who is almost dying waiting on a very long cue just to see a doctor and sometimes at the end of the day the patient in that state might likely not see the doctor again.

The top management knows and sees this, but no one's cares because people who get the top jobs got there through connection and are sure no one will sack them or query them.

32 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Experience In A Public Hospital In FCT by Confiture: 10:22am On Jul 14, 2023
I've experienced such before in a popular teaching hospital in Nigeria. Most nurses are rude, and brain drain is really affecting our hospitals. Government needs to do something about it.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience In A Public Hospital In FCT by NaijaCover(m): 10:22am On Jul 14, 2023
What a terrible sad thread, Is Here
Re: My Experience In A Public Hospital In FCT by drlaykay(m): 10:22am On Jul 14, 2023
smiley
Re: My Experience In A Public Hospital In FCT by malali: 10:22am On Jul 14, 2023
Healthcare is one sector that cannot be deregulated and left at the whims of just anyone.

All hospitals should should undergo certification and reviews regularly........Things that can be done in a facility should tally with things they are qualified to do.

Every state should have a networked tertiary referral center.....referral should start prior to transfer to tertiary facility.

All hospitals should be mandated to have a functional ambulance 24/7,

This can only be financed effectively by an insurance system. Healthcare is expensive even for 1st world countries.........

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience In A Public Hospital In FCT by spartachico(m): 10:22am On Jul 14, 2023
All the doctors have jaapa

1 Like

Re: My Experience In A Public Hospital In FCT by sonssyo: 10:22am On Jul 14, 2023
yeye country that won't want to appreciate best brains, that's what they deserve, but it's the poor that suffers it thou!

6 Likes

Re: My Experience In A Public Hospital In FCT by pweeryambre: 10:23am On Jul 14, 2023
They should employ more doctors then

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience In A Public Hospital In FCT by b0rn2fuck(m): 10:23am On Jul 14, 2023
True, na my last fall in hospital reset my brains from smoking cigarettes,weeds and excess alcohol... Na kelekele la ye now, no competition for anything, make small money, sleep and relax better

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Experience In A Public Hospital In FCT by ForestHill: 10:24am On Jul 14, 2023
Sorry about your bitter experience. Psychologically a patient recovery rate increases when his/her environment is clean, calm and ventilated void of external and internal stressors; but in our public hospitals especially Teaching hospitals in Nigeria
I've worked there, the environment is not conducive for healing and recovery, sometimes nurses and doctors contribute money to buy petrol in order to attend to client/patients need. It's so pathetic; we risk our health on hospital acquired infections due to lack of PPE's.

12 Likes

Re: My Experience In A Public Hospital In FCT by StepTwo: 10:24am On Jul 14, 2023
My Older brother almost died last year in General hospital, Maitama. All the consultant doctors that came made us waste so much money on drugs that sometimes I wonder how my brother can recover from those wrong prescriptions he had. A different doctor in the morning with different prescription, same for afternoon and evenings. It got so bad that my brother’s eyes were looking at each other until a Young female doctor on maybe housemanship called me aside and ask that I recommend I be given a referral to general hospital Asokoro for eye scan- we got there and Lo, that was the problem and that was the solution. Make I no talk about those staff for university of Abuja teaching hospital. I no blame those ones, e no easy make you dey use your phone see road for your place of work

19 Likes

Re: My Experience In A Public Hospital In FCT by b3llo(m): 10:24am On Jul 14, 2023
Health is wealth

1 Like

Re: My Experience In A Public Hospital In FCT by BarrElChapo(m): 10:24am On Jul 14, 2023
True
Re: My Experience In A Public Hospital In FCT by Nobody: 10:25am On Jul 14, 2023
Deeprooted:
After the declaration of state of emergency in the agricultural sector, our health sector needs such immediate attention.

I was in a public health center in the federal capital territory and my experience was not good.

First is the attitude of the health workers. These people need to be given orientation on how to relate with people. They insult patients, very rude and lack empathy.

Secondly, my perspective changed when I see the level of work these guys were handling. A single doctor on call attending to 83 patients! The doctors and nurses are obviously worn out, hence their attitude ( not a justification though)

I sheded tears for 3 children brought in but could not get the attention of the doctor because she was clearly tired and completely worn out. She was the only one in the entire Emergency Paediatric Unit (EPU).

I then saw why most of my doctor friends left the country.

If you're healthy, you don't know what God is doing for you.

More health workers are urgently needed but I was informed that no new doctors were employed in the last few years back despite the departure of most consultants from the country.

Pray you don't fall sick!

UATH?
Re: My Experience In A Public Hospital In FCT by Reelmii: 10:25am On Jul 14, 2023
Hmm

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Causes Of Irregular Menstrual Periods / Floods Cause Increase In Snakebite Cases In Nigeria / Dr Quick Herbal Capsules And Freeflow Herbal Are For Male And Female Infertility

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.