Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,231 members, 7,818,781 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:00 AM

What Is This Red Glow I Saw In The Sky Around 3:00 AM? (Pictures, Video) - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / What Is This Red Glow I Saw In The Sky Around 3:00 AM? (Pictures, Video) (766 Views)

What I Saw In The Sky In Ikoyi Today / Rain Of Worms Falls Down The Sky In China, Residents Panic (Photos) / Hundreds Of Birds Drop From The Sky In Mexico & Die (Pictures, Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is This Red Glow I Saw In The Sky Around 3:00 AM? (Pictures, Video) by MidnightRedGlow: 3:39am On Jul 15, 2023
I came out around 3 am in the midnight to get something in my car when I saw this red glow in the night sky.
I live in Osogbo, Osun state.

Funny, I had a nightmare about the planet destruction and world coming to an end just yesterday.

It was cloudy and I couldn't see what is behind the cloud. Maybe a comet or some chemical reactions.

Can anybody explain this phenomenom?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mf4bGhtz93Q

Re: What Is This Red Glow I Saw In The Sky Around 3:00 AM? (Pictures, Video) by revived2: 7:52am On Jul 15, 2023
This one get as e be
Re: What Is This Red Glow I Saw In The Sky Around 3:00 AM? (Pictures, Video) by TheFacelessMan: 7:59am On Jul 15, 2023
A meteorite / asteroid might soon hit the place.

Happened in a village I once lived...

I ended up fighting legions of aliens bent on destroying the planet..

Do you want to hear the story? angry

5 Likes

Re: What Is This Red Glow I Saw In The Sky Around 3:00 AM? (Pictures, Video) by haffaze777(m): 9:48am On Jul 15, 2023
TheFacelessMan:
A meteorite / asteroid might soon hit the place.

Happened in a village I once lived...

I ended up fighting legions of aliens bent on destroying the planet..

Do you want to hear the story? angry

Yes
Re: What Is This Red Glow I Saw In The Sky Around 3:00 AM? (Pictures, Video) by Houseofglam7(f): 10:37am On Jul 15, 2023
😳😳😳😳😳😳😳
Re: What Is This Red Glow I Saw In The Sky Around 3:00 AM? (Pictures, Video) by ghettochild(m): 3:33pm On Jul 15, 2023
Saw it here too in South Africa...
It's not a big deal.
It's the sun setting..
Re: What Is This Red Glow I Saw In The Sky Around 3:00 AM? (Pictures, Video) by MidnightRedGlow: 6:22pm On Jul 15, 2023
ghettochild:
Saw it here too in South Africa...
It's not a big deal.
It's the sun setting..

The sun sets in the west. I saw the glow a little bit eastward the middle of the sky around 3:00 AM in the midnight and I observed it periodically for about 2 hours. I wasn't watching when it disappeared but It was no longer there when I checked in the morning.

Definitely not a sunset.
Re: What Is This Red Glow I Saw In The Sky Around 3:00 AM? (Pictures, Video) by MidnightRedGlow: 8:09pm On Jul 15, 2023
I would have concluded it is lunar eclipse behind the clouds but the last lunar eclipse that occured was November 8, 2022 and the next one is March 13/14, 2025.
Re: What Is This Red Glow I Saw In The Sky Around 3:00 AM? (Pictures, Video) by ghettochild(m): 10:01pm On Jul 15, 2023
MidnightRedGlow:

The sun sets in the west. I saw the glow a little bit eastward the middle of the sky around 3:00 AM in the midnight and I observed it periodically for about 2 hours. I wasn't watching when it disappeared but It was no longer there when I checked in the morning.

Definitely not a sunset.
Well it's a natural phenomenon...and I have forgotten the name for it sha...
Re: What Is This Red Glow I Saw In The Sky Around 3:00 AM? (Pictures, Video) by MidnightRedGlow: 11:42pm On Jul 15, 2023
ghettochild:

Well it's a natural phenomenon...and I have forgotten the name for it sha...
Of course.
It's the name/explanation I seek.
Re: What Is This Red Glow I Saw In The Sky Around 3:00 AM? (Pictures, Video) by ghettochild(m): 11:03am On Jul 16, 2023
MidnightRedGlow:

Of course.
Ok I'll research n get back to u
Re: What Is This Red Glow I Saw In The Sky Around 3:00 AM? (Pictures, Video) by Ikukuudo: 8:52pm On Jul 16, 2023
Would have said it's gas flaring but considering the location I doubt so.
Re: What Is This Red Glow I Saw In The Sky Around 3:00 AM? (Pictures, Video) by ghettochild(m): 8:26am On Jul 17, 2023
MidnightRedGlow:

Of course.
Omo I don try taya...to post it with pictures...e no go ooo..
I don't know why.
It's called a Raleigh scaterring n still has to do with sunset like I said earlier
Re: What Is This Red Glow I Saw In The Sky Around 3:00 AM? (Pictures, Video) by MidnightRedGlow: 10:44am On Jul 17, 2023
ghettochild:

Omo I don try taya...to post it with pictures...e no go ooo..
I don't know why.
It's called a Raleigh scaterring n still has to do with sunset like I said earlier

No, Raleigh and Mie scaterring are used to explain why the sky is blue during the day or sometimes red-ish during sunset.
Raleigh scaterring in the sky is caused by sunlight.

Mind you this is not a regular occurrence here and I don't know anybody that have seen it before. It occurred 3:00 am in the absence of sunlight and doesn't look like Raleigh scaterring.

Re: What Is This Red Glow I Saw In The Sky Around 3:00 AM? (Pictures, Video) by ghettochild(m): 11:38am On Jul 17, 2023
MidnightRedGlow:

No, Raleigh and Mie scaterring are used to explain why the sky is blue during the day or sometimes red-ish during sunset.

Mind you this is not a regular occurrence here and I don't know anybody that have seen it before. It occurred 3:00 am in the absence of sunlight and doesn't look like Raleigh scaterring.
If the sun isn't setting on ur side of the world
It's setting on the other side of the world..
I don't know any other explanations to give..
I tried sending pics but I don't know why....it's not loading up on here.
Re: What Is This Red Glow I Saw In The Sky Around 3:00 AM? (Pictures, Video) by MidnightRedGlow: 3:36pm On Jul 17, 2023
ghettochild:

If the sun isn't setting on ur side of the world
It's setting on the other side of the world..
I don't know any other explanations to give..
I tried sending pics but I don't know why....it's not loading up on here.

The Raleigh scattering will be observed where the sun is setting, not the other side of the world. I can assure you that is not a direct effect of the sunlight.

I just checked the lunar calendar for 2023 and it looks like we are in the period of the full moon. It's hard to tell because the sky is cloudy at night.

There is a good chance it is the moon behind the cloud since there is no other light source elsewhere in the sky.

Why the moonlight is red instead of white is what I don't know. Apparently, it's not a lunar eclipse.

It could be light scattering by air pollution but the source of such pollutions are usually dust particles from volcanic eruptions or large-scale fires but such things are far from this area.
Re: What Is This Red Glow I Saw In The Sky Around 3:00 AM? (Pictures, Video) by ghettochild(m): 9:32pm On Jul 17, 2023
MidnightRedGlow:

You are just been stubborn.....
Did u know as early as 5am we experience sunlight here in South Africa at certain periods of the year esp around December....
So if we are experiencing that..
Do u know other parts of the world that would have seen the sun rise before us..
Do u remember how Australia n other islands around it experience new year before every other country..
This us stubbornness na academic stubborness..
And I think u shd talk to a professor to help tell what exactly it was in the sky as at that very time.
Re: What Is This Red Glow I Saw In The Sky Around 3:00 AM? (Pictures, Video) by ghettochild(m): 9:33pm On Jul 17, 2023
MidnightRedGlow:

The Raleigh scattering will be observed where the sun is setting, not the other side of the world. I can assure you that is not a direct effect of the sunlight.

I just checked the lunar calendar for 2023 and it looks like we are in the period of the full moon. It's hard to tell because the sky is cloudy at night.

There is a good chance it is the moon behind the cloud since there is no other light source elsewhere in the sky.

Why the moonlight is red instead of white is what I don't know. Apparently, it's not a lunar eclipse.

It could be light scattering by air pollution but the source of such pollutions are usually dust particles from volcanic eruptions or large-scale fires but such things are far from this area.
Pls refer to where I replied this msg in ur previous quoute
Re: What Is This Red Glow I Saw In The Sky Around 3:00 AM? (Pictures, Video) by MidnightRedGlow: 11:20pm On Jul 17, 2023
ghettochild:

You are just been stubborn.....
Did u know as early as 5am we experience sunlight here in South Africa at certain periods of the year esp around December....
So if we are experiencing that..
Do u know other parts of the world that would have seen the sun rise before us..
Do u remember how Australia n other islands around it experience new year before every other country..
This us stubbornness na academic stubborness..
And I think u shd talk to a professor to help tell what exactly it was in the sky as at that very time.

Well, the sun doesn’t show up here until around 8:00am. Can you see why you cannot use SA climate to explain Nigeria’s climate?
I am well aware of midnight sun that occur in the far northern and southern pole and I understand the phenomenon. We are on the equator while you’re close to the south pole. Everybody knows what a sunset looks like. This is obviously not sunset.
I promise you 99% of Nigerians haven’t observed anything like this.
I am not the stubborn one. LOL.

(1) (Reply)

Phone For Sale! Any Body Wants To Buy N95 Phone? / Bold 2 For Sale- No Scratches And Unbranded 65k Call 08037251700. 1 Month Used / Assistant

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.