Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,206 members, 7,818,705 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:13 PM

Jesus Never Asked Us To Build Churches And Be Having Worship Service - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Jesus Never Asked Us To Build Churches And Be Having Worship Service (1531 Views)

Worship Service || May 5, 2024 / Social Distancing In Delta: My Church Worship Service Today (Photos) / Jesus Never Wore Robe: A Preaching Against Men Who Wear Women's Clothing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jesus Never Asked Us To Build Churches And Be Having Worship Service by Hiswordxray(m): 10:37am On Jul 16, 2023
"Jesus declared, “Believe me, woman, a time is coming when you will worship the Father neither on this mountain nor in Jerusalem... Yet a time is coming and has now come when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth, for they are the kind of worshipers the Father seeks. God is spirit, and his worshipers must worship in spirit and in truth.”" (John 4:21,23,24).

Jesus did not say, "It no longer matters whether you worship God on this mountain nor in Jerusalem, you can worship God anywhere". He didn't say we can worship God in any place. Rather he said worship should be done in spirit and in truth. Yes, he was saying worship has shifted from something you do in a physical place, to something you do in the Spirit within you. Now you wonder, after this statement of Jesus, why are believers still going to a building to worship God?

From that statement of Jesus, we get an idea of how God expect us to live the Kingdom life. And it's definitely not by building worship centers. There is no indication anywhere in the New Testament that God desires that believers today should build houses of worship unto him. Rather we see the opposite of that.

“However, the Most High does not dwell in temples made with hands, as the prophet says: ‘Heaven is My throne, And earth is My footstool. What house will you build for Me? says the Lord, Or what is the place of My rest? Has My hand not made all these things?" (Acts 7:48).

After the Scripture has clearly stated that God does not live in any physical building. Then why do we build churches and call them the house of God? Are we not contradicting the Scripture? If Jesus said worship should be done in spirit, and God wants it that way, then why do we go to a building to worship God? Is that building spirit, is it made of spirit bricks? Why have we chosen to be children of disobedience?

We discover that for the first 300 years after the ascension of Jesus believers refused to build any church. It wasn't because they were not opportune to, it wasn't because they don't have the money, or they were constantly on a run. Come on, people who are on a run will not go to public places to preach. Read the Bible, the apostles were not preaching underground, they preached in public places. It is false to assume that the 1st-century believers fellowship in their homes rather than building churches because they were hiding. They were not hiding, they understood the instructions of Jesus as such refused to have a building for worship services.

During Paul's first missionary Journey, one of the first places that Paul went to minister was the island of Cyprus. There a governor accept the gospel and became a believer (read Acts 13:4-12). Paul continued his ministry for over 10 years and the Bible made no mention of the church-building that this governor built. In fact, we discovered that the believers on the island of Cyprus continue to gather in their homes.

Why would a man of great resource like Governor Sergius Paulus refuse to build a church for him and the believers in Cyprus to worship God? Why didn't Paul write a letter to Sergius Paulus warning him against greed and asking him to use his money and resources to fund the house of God so that the believers in Cyprus can have a place to worship?

The Philippines were the wealthiest believers out of all the communities Paul ministered. They consist of people with high status in the Roman Empire. They had more than enough money to fund a church-building project. But why didn't they? If your heart is sincere towards God you will ask these questions. Why is it that for 300 years believers refused to build a church despite the available opportunities?

Paul ministered in Ephesus for 3 years, and that was enough time to build a church in Ephesus. Yet he refused to. Instead, believers continued to fellowship in their homes. The homes were too small for Paul to minister. Instead of organising the believers to make contributions and build a church, Paul decided to rent a school. No, they were not gathering in that school for worship services.

Many of the people who came there were unbelievers, curious minds from all over the province of Asia, gathering to listen to Paul's teachings. The believers continued to fellowship at their homes. From the 1st century down to the 3rd century Christians strongly believed that God doesn't want them to build churches. They believe it was against the Christian faith to build churches. Here are quotes from the letters of Christian leaders in the 2nd and 3rd centuries.

"The Word, prohibiting all sacrifices and the building of temples, indicates that the Almighty is not contained in anything." Clement of Alexandria (year 195).

"We refuse to build lifeless temples to the Giver of all life... Our bodies are the temple of God... When they reproach us for not deeming it necessary to worship the divine Being by raising lifeless temples, we set before them our temples [bodies]." Origen (year 248).

From Jesus' discussion with the Samaritan woman, we see that the way he envisioned that the Christian life will be lived is not one where believers like the Jews and Samaritans keep going to some physical place to worship God.

From Stephen's speech, we see that God has no intention of us building a house for him.

In Paul's ministry, we see that he refused to have a building dedicated to Christian worship.

From the behaviours of the 1st-century believers, especially the wealthy ones, we understood that using your money to build churches was never considered a service unto God.

And in the letters of the 2nd and 3rd century Christian leaders, we see that they were fully convinced that we are not to build churches or hold worship services.

Now after seeing all this, and you still say to yourself, "It doesn't matter, there is nothing wrong with having church buildings and doing worship services", then your salvation should be questioned. Did you give your life to Christ or you gave your life to man's tradition? Are you truly saved at all? Is your heart pure and sincere towards God or are you doing Christianity simply because you were born into it?

https://thevineapostolicmin.com/

2 Likes

Re: Jesus Never Asked Us To Build Churches And Be Having Worship Service by SHIVA001: 10:48am On Jul 16, 2023
Jesús is a myth it never existed, Now weather Jesus existed or not, live Joyfully and peacefully. That is all that matters. At least as a human being live sensibly.
Re: Jesus Never Asked Us To Build Churches And Be Having Worship Service by Jerryhare: 11:05am On Jul 16, 2023
Jesus told Peter that upon this rock I'll build my church, OP go Sunday School and Bible class you won't go

1 Like

Re: Jesus Never Asked Us To Build Churches And Be Having Worship Service by advanceDNA: 11:22am On Jul 16, 2023
Hiswordxray:

Now after seeing all this, and you still say to yourself, "It doesn't matter, there is nothing wrong with having church buildings and doing worship services", then your salvation should be questioned. Did you give your life to Christ or you gave your life to man's tradition? Are you truly saved at all? Is your heart pure and sincere towards God or are you doing Christianity simply because you were born into it?

https://thevineapostolicmin.com/

Nice.....but Jesus did not tell u to use the internet platform to say these things either......

my question is why are u using the internet platform to teach pple these words..instead of going from place to place on foot...walking around the world, like u said the disciples did

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jesus Never Asked Us To Build Churches And Be Having Worship Service by Sangoamadioha1: 12:02pm On Jul 16, 2023
Jerryhare:
Jesus told Peter that upon this rock I'll build my church, OP go Sunday School and Bible class you won't go

Was he siting a building on Peter? Jesus was speaking figuratively.
Re: Jesus Never Asked Us To Build Churches And Be Having Worship Service by Kobojunkie: 12:07pm On Jul 16, 2023
Jerryhare:
The Rock in question is God's Law, not Peter, as your many mogs and pastors have tried to lead you to believing. Jesus Christ never built His foundation --- the Kingdom of God --- on sinful men. Rather it is built atop of the everlasting truth of God, the Rock. undecided

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jesus Never Asked Us To Build Churches And Be Having Worship Service by Kobojunkie: 12:11pm On Jul 16, 2023
advanceDNA:
■ Nice.....but Jesus did not tell u to use the internet platform to say these things either......
my question is why are u using the internet platform to teach pple these words..instead of going from place to place on foot...walking around the world, like u said the disciples did
Where in scripture did Jesus Christ in fact specify that "go into the world" meant only going places on foot? undecided

Since you insist that going into the world wide web is out of the question, does that equally mean that going by plane, train, or by car or even donkey is also out? undecided

2 Likes

Re: Jesus Never Asked Us To Build Churches And Be Having Worship Service by Hiswordxray(m): 12:22pm On Jul 16, 2023
Jerryhare:
So when you read your bible you saw Jesus building a church-building on Peter's head undecided
Re: Jesus Never Asked Us To Build Churches And Be Having Worship Service by Hiswordxray(m): 12:30pm On Jul 16, 2023
advanceDNA:

Nice.....but Jesus did not tell u to use the internet platform to say these things either......

Okay your point is that we should disregard the Bible and do whatever we like because the Bible wasn't written in our time.

Hmmm, you are such a good Christian, keep on teaching that grin

advanceDNA:

This part doesn't even corelate because in the first century there was no internet, but there were buildings. Why didn't Jesus ask us to build churches? Is church-building a recent invention?
Re: Jesus Never Asked Us To Build Churches And Be Having Worship Service by advanceDNA: 12:47pm On Jul 16, 2023
Hiswordxray:

Okay your point is that we should disregard the Bible and do whatever we like because the Bible wasn't written in our time.

Hmmm, you are such a good Christian, keep on teaching that grin

This part doesn't even corelate because in the first century there was no internet, but there were buildings. Why didn't Jesus ask us to build churches? Is church-building a recent invention?

Lol....u cant dialogue without using guilt tripping tactics....its pathetic..
.The question i asked u i simple...u refused to answer and started saying what i ddnt say........show me where i said u should ignore the bible...

Saying the internet ddnt exist years ago is merely justifying ur actions and invalidating others style of preaching.....

The instructions of jesus is clear...go into the world and make disciples of nation ...Jesus ddnt say build church to gather people....jesus ddnt say use internet either....... weda u build church or not i dont care......im just a devils advocate using ur own tecnicalities against u
Re: Jesus Never Asked Us To Build Churches And Be Having Worship Service by Jerryhare: 3:38pm On Jul 16, 2023
Hiswordxray:

So when you read your bible you saw Jesus building a church-building on Peter's head undecided

When you read your Bible is Peter's head the rock? Or Jesus is bricklayer? Babu sense
Re: Jesus Never Asked Us To Build Churches And Be Having Worship Service by Jerryhare: 3:41pm On Jul 16, 2023
Kobojunkie:
The Rock in question is God's Law, not Peter, as your many mogs and pastors have tried to lead you to believing. Jesus Christ never built His foundation --- the Kingdom of God --- on sinful men. Rather it is built atop of the everlasting truth of God, the Rock. undecided

Next time you face front no dey interfere abeg.. I don't know the religion you belongs to and I don't want to know, but tell your leaders in the religion you belongs to that they teach you sense of courtesy
Re: Jesus Never Asked Us To Build Churches And Be Having Worship Service by Jerryhare: 3:42pm On Jul 16, 2023
Sangoamadioha1:

Was he siting a building on Peter? Jesus was speaking figuratively.

Did Church only means constructed building?
Re: Jesus Never Asked Us To Build Churches And Be Having Worship Service by Kobojunkie: 3:52pm On Jul 16, 2023
Jerryhare:
Did Church only means building?
The church refers to those who are born-again aka citizens of the Kingdom of God. And that has nothing to do with your idea of churches here on earth given that the Kingdom of God is not of this world to begin with. undecided
Re: Jesus Never Asked Us To Build Churches And Be Having Worship Service by Sangoamadioha1: 4:25pm On Jul 16, 2023
Jerryhare:

Did Church only means constructed building?

That is what the OP was trying to say, that your church is in your heart.
Re: Jesus Never Asked Us To Build Churches And Be Having Worship Service by Hiswordxray(m): 4:26pm On Jul 16, 2023
Jerryhare:

When you read your Bible is Peter's head the rock? Or Jesus is bricklayer? Babu sense
That's exactly the question you should have asked yourself before you started connecting Jesus' statement in that scripture to a physical building
Re: Jesus Never Asked Us To Build Churches And Be Having Worship Service by bobestman(m): 4:27pm On Jul 16, 2023
Jerryhare:
You are the ignorant one here. The verse you quoted clearly stated that the Messiah is the builder not Peter. He didn't build anything till he was killed. He taught that worshiping should be in spirit and truth (secret). He maintained the same lifestyle by praying in secret places and bushes. Church is not a physical building. It is those chosen or called out.
Re: Jesus Never Asked Us To Build Churches And Be Having Worship Service by Jerryhare: 4:33pm On Jul 16, 2023
bobestman:
You are the ignorant one here. The verse you quoted clearly stated that the Messiah is the builder not Peter. He didn't build anything till he was killed. He taught that worshiping should be in spirit and truth (secret). He maintained the same lifestyle by praying in secret places and bushes. Church is not a physical building. It is those chosen or called out.

Who is now the Messiah if NOT Jesus? Did I ever said Peter is the builder?

You are too dumbass for calling someone ignorant, next time read thoroughly and gently b4 commenting
Re: Jesus Never Asked Us To Build Churches And Be Having Worship Service by Jerryhare: 4:36pm On Jul 16, 2023
Hiswordxray:

That's exactly the question you should have asked yourself before you started connecting Jesus' statement in that scripture to a physical building

I layed emphasis on building a church that has nothing to do with constructed building or house
Re: Jesus Never Asked Us To Build Churches And Be Having Worship Service by Jerryhare: 4:41pm On Jul 16, 2023
Sangoamadioha1:

That is what the OP was trying to say, that your church is in your heart.

I can still wrong your OP because Jesus Christ himself observed the sabbath day inside the tabernacle, synagogue or temple
Re: Jesus Never Asked Us To Build Churches And Be Having Worship Service by Jerryhare: 4:45pm On Jul 16, 2023
Kobojunkie:
The church refers to those who are born-again aka citizens of the Kingdom of God. And that has nothing to do with your idea of churches here on earth given that the Kingdom of God is not of this world to begin with. undecided

And God gave you the power to recognized the citizens of his kingdom right? Or you know those that are going to hell fire with the idea your leaders in your own religion brought you up with? #smh
Re: Jesus Never Asked Us To Build Churches And Be Having Worship Service by Sangoamadioha1: 4:49pm On Jul 16, 2023
Jerryhare:

I can still wrong your OP because Jesus Christ himself observed the sabbath day inside the tabernacle, synagogue or temple

He was observing a Jewish rite.
Re: Jesus Never Asked Us To Build Churches And Be Having Worship Service by Kobojunkie: 4:51pm On Jul 16, 2023
Jerryhare:
■ And God gave you the power to recognized the citizens of his kingdom right?
■ Or you know those that are going to hell fire with the idea your leaders in your own religion brought you up with? #smh
1. YES

2. This is what Jesus Christ said of all those who embrace the doctrines and traditions of men --- Religion---, all of whom He said are hypocrites.
7 You are hypocrites! Isaiah was right when he spoke for God about you:
8 These people honor me with their words, but I am not really important to them.
9 Their worship of me is worthless. The things they teach are only human rules.’ - Matthew 15 vs 7 - 9
6 Jesus answered, “You are all hypocrites. Isaiah was right when he wrote these words from God about you:‘These people honor me with their words, but I am not really important to them.
7 Their worship of me is worthless. The things they teach are only human rules.’
8 You have stopped following God’s commands, preferring instead the man-made rules you got from others.”
9 Then he said, “You show great skill in avoiding the commands of God so that you can follow your own teachings! - Mark 7 vs 6 - 9
Re: Jesus Never Asked Us To Build Churches And Be Having Worship Service by advanceDNA: 5:00pm On Jul 16, 2023
Kobojunkie:
Where in scripture did Jesus Christ in fact specify that "go into the world" meant only going places on foot? undecided

Since you insist that going into the world wide web is out of the question, does that equally mean that going by plane, train, or by car or even donkey is also out? undecided

because u are always in a rush to invalidate everyone....its always hard for you to see sarcasm
Re: Jesus Never Asked Us To Build Churches And Be Having Worship Service by Kobojunkie: 5:07pm On Jul 16, 2023
advanceDNA:
■ because u are always in a rush to invalidate everyone....its always hard for you to see sarcasm
Or is it instead that you are simply terrible at that ---- sarcasm ---- because I did not sense that at all from any of your previous posts. undecided

1 Like

Re: Jesus Never Asked Us To Build Churches And Be Having Worship Service by Jerryhare: 5:10pm On Jul 16, 2023
Kobojunkie:
1. YES

2. This is what Jesus Christ said of all those who embrace the doctrines and traditions of men --- Religion---, all of whom He said are hypocrites.

God's PA na you go tell him who will enter paradise and hell fire cheesy
Re: Jesus Never Asked Us To Build Churches And Be Having Worship Service by Jerryhare: 5:11pm On Jul 16, 2023
Sangoamadioha1:

Who?
Re: Jesus Never Asked Us To Build Churches And Be Having Worship Service by Sangoamadioha1: 5:13pm On Jul 16, 2023
Jerryhare:

Who?

Who were you talking of. Jesus.
Re: Jesus Never Asked Us To Build Churches And Be Having Worship Service by Kobojunkie: 5:14pm On Jul 16, 2023
Jerryhare:
■ God's PA na you go tell him who will enter paradise and hell fire cheesy
Nope! It is instead Jesus Christ who will decide who among the citizens (the sheep and goats) of the Kingdom of God will end up in the Heaven or Hell at the end - Matthew 25 vs 31 - 46. undecided
Re: Jesus Never Asked Us To Build Churches And Be Having Worship Service by advanceDNA: 5:16pm On Jul 16, 2023
Kobojunkie:
Or is it instead that you are simply terrible at that- sarcasm because I did not sense that at all from any of your previous posts. undecided

Yawn.....!! Yeah Wateva ......are u done..
Re: Jesus Never Asked Us To Build Churches And Be Having Worship Service by Jerryhare: 5:30pm On Jul 16, 2023
Kobojunkie:
Nope! It is instead Jesus Christ who will decide who among the citizens (the sheep and goats) of the Kingdom of God will end up in the Heaven or Hell at the end - Matthew 25 vs 31 - 46. undecided

Are you Jesus Christ then when you said God gave you the power to recognized the citizens of his kingdom?
Re: Jesus Never Asked Us To Build Churches And Be Having Worship Service by Jerryhare: 5:31pm On Jul 16, 2023
Sangoamadioha1:

Who were you talking of. Jesus.

Sangoamadioha1:

What did you mean at the above bolded?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Smoking, Sin Or Not? / Are You Jesus? / Divine Revelation Of Heaven - Its A Must Read For Everyone In This Forum

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.