Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,073 members, 7,814,709 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 05:58 PM

Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? - Car Talk (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? (25723 Views)

Gazzuzz: How To Drive Your Car In Nigeria Without Using Petrol (Video) / How Far Can You Drive Your Vehicle On Empty? / This Is Why You Should Not Drive Your Automatic Cars With Both Feet (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? by cluewebhost(m): 7:46pm On Jul 20, 2023
It makes no great difference except the car is faulty or tampered with
Re: Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? by casualobserver: 7:46pm On Jul 20, 2023
airsaylongcome:

I used to believe this as well. But this video shows field tests that invalidate the assertion that AC on is more efficient than windows down

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUFwbNbQpck#bottom-sheet

Yeah I remmember watching that episode years ago. Bottom line is any saving is negligible considering the inconvinience and security risks. Best way to save petrol is to develop a less aggressive driving style. You can increase your range (how far your petrol will take you) by more than a factor of 2.

1 Like

Re: Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? by sonssyo: 7:47pm On Jul 20, 2023
I want to fix my Honda ac,they said it's compressor,never get time for one Saturday to fix it
Re: Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? by Nonexisting1: 7:48pm On Jul 20, 2023
airsaylongcome:

As innnnnnnnnnn! I'm always shocked how people believe that AC consumes more fuel. [b]Driving your car with the windows down actually consumes more fuel than with the windows up and AC on. [/b]Poverty na bad thing
You burn less fuel with windows up when you are driving at top speed in express road. Ac does not use fuel but driving inside the city with ac actually consumes more fuel because the car engine works harder. That's why you hear this sigh of relief from the car's engine when you turn off the ac.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? by airsaylongcome: 7:49pm On Jul 20, 2023
casualobserver:

Yeah I remmember watching that episode years ago. Bottom line is any saving is negligible considering the inconvinience and security risks. Best way to save petrol is to develop a less aggressive driving style. You can increase your range (how far your petrol will take you) by more than a factor of 2.

I've heavily adopted that less aggressive driving mehn. Controlled acceleration. Controlled braking. We no dey rush go anywhere again. Road free

2 Likes

Re: Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? by casualobserver: 7:51pm On Jul 20, 2023
airsaylongcome:

I've heavily adopted that less aggressive driving mehn. Controlled acceleration. Controlled braking. We no dey rush go anywhere again. Road free
I laugh when I see Nigeria s speeding up and down and complaining g of high petrol price, especially commercial drivers. I also wonflder why the NOA is not educating Nigerians on how to go further with their petrol.

1 Like

Re: Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? by Blackdisciple(m): 7:53pm On Jul 20, 2023
Many use AC joor
Re: Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? by belcom10(m): 7:56pm On Jul 20, 2023
ITK.

lifezone247:
Yes, yes and yes. AC has nothing to do with fuel consumptions. It’s uses gas when the engine is running. Make una stop that mentality abeg.
Re: Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? by Callmegerald2(m): 7:56pm On Jul 20, 2023
Re: Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? by IslamIsIdiotic: 7:57pm On Jul 20, 2023
I saw this online and it is for motorists like you:

Question: Does a car's air conditioning unit affect its fuel economy?

Answer

Yes, a car's air conditioning unit can affect its fuel economy to some extent. The air conditioning system in a car requires energy to operate, and this energy comes from the engine. Here's how it can impact fuel efficiency:

1.Increased Load on Engine:
Running the air conditioning system puts an additional load on the engine, as it needs to power the compressor that cools and circulates the refrigerant. This extra load can lead to a decrease in fuel efficiency because the engine has to work harder to maintain the same level of performance.

2. Power Consumption:

The air conditioning system draws power from the car's electrical system, which is ultimately generated by the engine. The more energy the A/C system requires, the more fuel the engine needs to burn to produce that energy.

3. Aerodynamic Effects:

When the air conditioning is on, car windows are often closed to maintain the cooling effect. Closed windows can slightly affect the aerodynamics of the vehicle, causing a minor increase in air resistance, which may result in decreased fuel efficiency, particularly at higher speeds.

4. City vs. Highway Driving:

The impact of the A/C on fuel economy can be more noticeable in city driving or stop-and-go traffic, where the engine is frequently starting and stopping. In contrast, on the highway, the continuous speed and airflow may offset some of the energy used by the A/C.

5. **Hybrid and Electric Vehicles:** In hybrid and electric vehicles, using the air conditioning system can have a more significant impact on range and energy consumption compared to conventional internal combustion engine vehicles, as it directly draws power from the battery in these cases.

To mitigate the impact on fuel economy while using the A/C, drivers can take the following measures:

- Use the A/C sparingly, especially when driving at lower speeds or in cooler weather.
- Park in the shade whenever possible to reduce the initial cooling load on the interior.
- Consider using the vehicle's ventilation system or opening windows while driving at lower speeds instead of relying solely on the A/C.
- Service and maintain the A/C system to ensure it operates efficiently and doesn't place unnecessary strain on the engine.

In summary, while using the air conditioning in a car can lead to reduced fuel economy, the actual impact will vary depending on driving conditions, vehicle type, and individual driving habits.

lifezone247:
Yes, yes and yes. AC has nothing to do with fuel consumptions. It’s uses gas when the engine is running. Make una stop that mentality abeg.
Re: Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? by shereef19: 7:58pm On Jul 20, 2023
kay29000:

What car do you drive

I drive benz c230 2005
Very efficient car...
But with rumor people run for that car

1 Like

Re: Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? by vastolord4(m): 7:58pm On Jul 20, 2023
lifezone247:

Who prove it? Please refer me to the link.. in my opinion, I think it does
Re: Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? by MichaelSokoto(m): 7:59pm On Jul 20, 2023
Blackestjunior:
Yes
I can't drive my car without AC grin grin
u be yahoo be dat!

Go to court if u think otherwise!
grin
Re: Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? by Wrackcityoffici: 7:59pm On Jul 20, 2023
I've got a VENZA 2014 for sale going for 6.4m

Whatsapp: 0-9-0-1-1-0-4-9-7-7-8

Re: Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? by Fuadx1(m): 7:59pm On Jul 20, 2023
My thought as well! I don't see any difference
lifezone247:
Re: Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? by PPIA: 8:00pm On Jul 20, 2023
ybady4real:
With what i have heard, AC dont consume fuel, i have people around that still put their ACs on o
It increases fuel consumption by 20%

Causes more load on the engine because more current from the alternator is required, hence the engine needs to generate extra RPM to compensate.

Don't you notice even how the sound of the engine changes when A/C is powered on!!!?
Re: Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? by rogerman: 8:03pm On Jul 20, 2023
mactoni91:
Prices of V8 - V12 Vehicles are crashing...

People are now going for 4 cylinders.
Where please. I am looking for v6 to v16 vehicle to buy but prices are still high
Re: Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? by blowjohn(m): 8:04pm On Jul 20, 2023
Manny21:
It has been proved that using A/C in a car does not consume fuel

Who prove am?
Mention e name.
Re: Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? by alhajiabdulbuha: 8:08pm On Jul 20, 2023
Who cares about AC? Tinubus is one the Beneficiaries of a disfunctional Nigerian state about to collapse. NNPC monopoly for 35 years has being a huge SCAM that has lead to death of many Refineries.
Re: Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? by casualobserver: 8:10pm On Jul 20, 2023
AC consumes petrol that is why your rev counter drops when you switch on your AC. The question is is the extra petrol consumed by the AC more than the extra petrol consumed by the aerodynamic drag of your open windows? At speed you are probably better off with your AC on and at low speed the drag is probably not much but the reality is like I have said the convenience and comfort of AC and security of having your windows up is not worth the fuel savings. If you are eager to save fuel avoid heavy acceleration and keep your rev counter below 3000 in acceleration mode and 1500-2500 in normal driving mode (for most cars). You will save almost half your petrol.

1 Like

Re: Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? by slowice(m): 8:10pm On Jul 20, 2023
lifezone247:

It puts pressure on the engine hence the engine consumes a little more fuel.
Re: Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? by casualobserver: 8:13pm On Jul 20, 2023
slowice:

It puts pressure on the engine hence the engine consumes a little more fuel.

Somebody who says AC uses gas and therefore has nothing to do with petrol clearly does not understand how cars work. No point arguing g with him. He probably does not know the compressor is driven by the engine via a belt. Even hydraulic power steering consumes petrol, full beam consumes petrol that is why cars now come with electric power steering and led headlights.

3 Likes

Re: Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? by MrBachelor: 8:14pm On Jul 20, 2023
Why not?
Re: Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? by ValarinzAutos: 8:16pm On Jul 20, 2023
mactoni91:

Humour me, so because your president in a backward African nation increased fuel prices, the prices of V8 and V12 will not crash from the abroad where you buy it?

Or do you produce any V8 or V12 here?

Or, NCS will charge you a lower duty when the car arrives here, because it's V8 or V12?

Help me understand pls 🙏🏾

2 Likes

Re: Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? by Dmacqh(m): 8:17pm On Jul 20, 2023
Does AC ( follow come ) consume fuel ?
Re: Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? by casualobserver: 8:18pm On Jul 20, 2023
mactoni91:

That’s the way it should be. A country of poor people have no business in V8 engines

3 Likes

Re: Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? by Itsrm(m): 8:20pm On Jul 20, 2023
inoki247:
Lol na doz people wey dey Always brag Abt V6 and mock 4 plug owner I dey use laff like this....

The funny thing is, depending on how you drive, some of those V6s can consume fuel like it's a 4 cylinder.

The power is there to be used and of course, fuel to be burnt. If you decide not to use it, you save fuel
Re: Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? by Muhammadson2020: 8:20pm On Jul 20, 2023
lifezone247:
That's a big Lie

1 Like

Re: Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? by providencia(m): 8:20pm On Jul 20, 2023
ugodson:

Oga AC uses fuel na

Don't mind him.
Re: Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? by visaclick: 8:21pm On Jul 20, 2023
inoki247:
Lol na doz people wey dey Always brag Abt V6 and mock 4 plug owner I dey use laff like this....
forget engine stories if you are broke you are broke. Most men got like 85-130m just sitting in their current account tell me what they will worry about. I still run ac well I just don’t go around much but i ve never used public just to save up. Not just me but my street neighbor who drives a gwagon has came home and gone out more than 3 times today.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Photo: Baby, 5 Others Die In Fatal Multiple Accident In Abeokuta / Lagos Ranked 3rd Worst City In The World For Drivers By Forbes (see List) / Your Opinions: Can Innoson Compete With Giants Like Toyota & KIA In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.