Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,417 members, 7,819,503 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:17 PM

English Teachers Are Desperately Needed In China - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / English Teachers Are Desperately Needed In China (12821 Views)

Male Teachers Vs Female Teachers: Are Women Better Teachers Than Men? / ABU Zaria MBA Entrance Exam Past Questions Desperately Needed / 50% Of Kaduna Teachers Are Unqualified – Yakowa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

English Teachers Are Desperately Needed In China by ektbear: 5:07am On Oct 09, 2011
China's Insatiable Demand For English Teachers

A surging demand for learning the English language in China has turned the export-intensive country into an importer of American teachers, creating thousands of potential jobs for recent graduates.

As many as 300 million Chinese people are learning English, said Katie Wagnon, the recruitment manager at English First, a division of the Lucerne, Switerland-based EF Education First, which has offices and schools in more than 50 countries. The need for educators in the world's most populous country has left schools scrambling to fill positions, and recruiters eager to capitalize on the market.

"Basically if you speak English and have a degree, you can get a job over here because English teachers are in such high demand," said Lindsey Henrikson, a 22-year-old graduate of Northwestern University who teaches at the Pass College of Chongqing Technology and Business University. The downside is "there's pretty much a 50-50 chance that you're either going to have a horrible recruiter or a horrible school, and a lot of people end up breaking contracts early because of that."

Schools in smaller towns will take a chance on teachers like Henrikson, who has no formal teaching experience and plans to work for a year before returning to the U.S. for law school. Her college-level students already know English grammar and how to read and write, so she is responsible for stimulating conversation through games and activities.

In major cities like Beijing and Shanghai, however, the Chinese government is upping its standards, said Carrie Kellenberger, the global director of recruiting for Reach To Teach Recruiting who previously taught in China from 2003 to 2006. Teachers must be at least 24 years old, have one or two years of formal teaching experience after graduation and obtain a certificate to teach English as a foreign language, or TEFL.

"In the past, you could be a college graduate and have no teaching experience and have no problem getting a position in China," Kellenberger said. "The demand for English teachers is rising every day in China, but the Chinese government has made the whole job application process a lot more difficult."

English teachers make between 6,000 and 16,000 yuan a month, or between $938 and $2,500, with the highest salaries going to those with prior teaching experience who work in major cities, Kellenberger said.

Local teachers in China earn about 1,000 yuan a month, said Lea Walker, who worked as a professor at Wuhan University in the 1980s. That means recent college graduates teaching English earn the equivalent of a tenured Chinese professor.

Walker emigrated to the U.S. in 1992 and is now president of the Chinese Culture Center, a nonprofit she founded in 2002. She said the Columbia, S.C.-based center placed about 500 teachers last year out of more than 5,000 applicants, and interest has continued to rise since the Beijing Olympics.

"Before 2008, China was considered a third-world country and not many young people had intentions to go there," Walker said. "It seems like more and more young people realize that China is a big market and also a place to go for jobs."

Still, the new teachers struggle with China's lack of English speakers, making ordering food, taking public transportation and other day-to-day tasks a challenge. Familiarity with Mandarin is not necessary to get a position anywhere in the country, which often leaves teachers unable to communicate.

"The first couple of days after we arrived at the university, I thought 'Oh my God, what the hell did I do to myself?'" said Leslie Eberdt, a 24-year-old from Brussels, Belgium who teaches graduate students at Nanchang University. "I've lived a lot of places, but it's really difficult here. It was like being dropped onto Mars."

Eberdt said she grew frustrated with needing to take a Chinese speaker wherever she went, and would have considering leaving if not for support from fellow teachers. To combat the language barrier, Henrikson goes out with her undergraduate sophomores several times a week, both to improve their English and so they can translate for her. A group of them helped her purchase a new cell phone.

Both Henrikson and Eberdt used the Council on International Educational Exchange, or CIEE, to match them with a Chinese school. The written application took Eberdt a few days to complete. CIEE first chooses to accept or reject the applicant, and then a partnering school must accept the person.

CIEE places the majority of teachers at locations directly without an interview, though in certain situations the applicant will speak with the school based on CIEE's past relationship with the institution, said Steve Amendo, the strategic marketing manager at CIEE. English First also puts teachers in contact with schools only after they assign placements.

"My school has not been super helpful in getting me adjusted," Henrikson said. "There's not much communication, and that's something that, from talking to other people, happens in a lot of Chinese universities between foreign teachers and the rest of the staff," since few other educators speak English.

Reach to Teach requires an interview between the school and teacher, ranging from five minutes to two hours depending on the institution. If the student feels uncomfortable with the school, the recruiting directors, including Kellenberger, work on another placement.

For young job seekers, it's hard to argue with the numbers. A population roughly the size of the entire U.S. is eager to master the English language in China, while 14.8% of Americans between ages 20 and 24 remain unemployed, according data from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics in August. English First expects placements to jump by as much as 45% next year, Wagnon said.

Even as the Chinese government sets the bar higher, the number of people applying may grow as they seek to flee the stagnant Western job market. No one knows exactly how many foreign English teachers are in China, yet everyone agrees the demand is skyrocketing. Walker said her center could place every qualified applicant, even if there are thousands.

"No matter how many teachers we recruit, there will always be more positions available," Walker said.

http://asia-jobs.fins.com/Articles/SBB0001424052970204422404576597033248546262/China-s-Insatiable-Demand-for-English-Teachers
Re: English Teachers Are Desperately Needed In China by ektbear: 5:08am On Oct 09, 2011
You'd think that this an opportunity too for Nigerian graduates who speak good English.

Hrm.

In general, I wonder if we can get more advantage from being an English-speaking country.

1 Like

Re: English Teachers Are Desperately Needed In China by hugooh42(m): 6:05am On Oct 09, 2011
Well they still prefer white native speakers to Africans.And even if they will recruit Blacks they go for Ghananians,Kenyans,Zambians.You are cursed in China if you are a Nigeria passport holder.
Re: English Teachers Are Desperately Needed In China by Jenifa1: 6:10am On Oct 09, 2011
they say the pay is great too.
but the Chinese seem like such proud people. I guess they are also trying to be practical.
Re: English Teachers Are Desperately Needed In China by Relax101(m): 6:35am On Oct 09, 2011
Nigerians should hurry while the offer last.
This one na correct market for them. grin grin grin
Just get certified for teaching English language and you are good to go.
Re: English Teachers Are Desperately Needed In China by semid4lyfe(m): 8:42am On Oct 09, 2011
Hmmm. . .strategic thinking by China
Re: English Teachers Are Desperately Needed In China by semid4lyfe(m): 8:43am On Oct 09, 2011
Hmmm. . .strategic thinking by China
Re: English Teachers Are Desperately Needed In China by hugooh42(m): 6:58am On Oct 10, 2011
And you think Nigerians can compete with Native English speakers for the English teaching job in China?As i said earlier Nigeria passport holder is seen as a criminal in China.All thanks to some naija whom have given us bad name in that country.It will be hard for them to extend your Visa talkless of allowing ambianyou to teach their kids.Moreover no matter how you argue it Kenyan ,Ghana Zambian pronunciation and accent is far better than Nigerian's.
Re: English Teachers Are Desperately Needed In China by Amujale(m): 8:29am On Oct 10, 2011
What we really need from China is an insight into their aerospace & aeronautics technology!
Re: English Teachers Are Desperately Needed In China by MrCork17: 10:48am On Oct 10, 2011
You mean Pigin English teachers? Since when is Nigerians speakin English? (no ofeinse) undecided
Re: English Teachers Are Desperately Needed In China by slap1(m): 10:54am On Oct 10, 2011
Mr. Ola Olabiy, where you at?
Re: English Teachers Are Desperately Needed In China by velo10: 10:58am On Oct 10, 2011
They would put American and British applicants first before considering Nigerian applicants.
Re: English Teachers Are Desperately Needed In China by llbhuds: 11:00am On Oct 10, 2011
Relax101:

Nigerians should hurry while the offer last.
This one na correct market for them. grin grin grin
Just get certified for teaching English language and you are good to go.

lol, so you want Nigerians to go and teach them how to stress every syllables in a sentence?
if you live in a country where English language is the L1, ,you will know how its difficult for most native speakers of English language try very hard to understand our pronunciations.
WHY YOU THINK SAY BLACKS THEY FORM PHONETICS FOR UK AND AMERICA?
Re: English Teachers Are Desperately Needed In China by dagboss(m): 11:25am On Oct 10, 2011
Posted by: hugooh42

Insert Quote

Well they still prefer white native speakers to Africans.And even if they will recruit Blacks they go for Ghananians,Kenyans,Zambians.You are cursed in China if you are a Nigeria passport holder.

Yeah why not? It is the criminal attitude of some our guys in some foreign countries even in ordinary Liberia here. If not because of the role we played in their civil war walahi Liberians would have been stoning Nigerians on their streets. I have seen similar examples in some other European countries i have visited, its a shame.
Re: English Teachers Are Desperately Needed In China by igbo2011(m): 11:41am On Oct 10, 2011
The people without jobs can go to China for a year or two and teach English while they learn Chinese. Then when they come back they can join business and do business with the Chinese. This can be a plus beause there is high unemployment now.
Re: English Teachers Are Desperately Needed In China by otokx(m): 12:31pm On Oct 10, 2011
Story Story
Re: English Teachers Are Desperately Needed In China by sylve11: 12:42pm On Oct 10, 2011
;d cool
Re: English Teachers Are Desperately Needed In China by Nobody: 1:19pm On Oct 10, 2011
Just forget the advert if you are a Nigerian applying from Nigeria

hugooh42:

Well they still prefer white native speakers to Africans.[/b]And even if they will recruit Blacks they go for Ghananians,Kenyans,Zambians.You are cursed in China if you are a Nigeria passport holder.

True

hugooh42:

And you think Nigerians can compete with Native English speakers for the English teaching job in China?As i said earlier Nigeria passport holder is seen as a criminal in China.All thanks to some naija whom have given us bad name in that country.[b]It will be hard for them to extend your Visa
talkless of allowing ambianyou to teach their kids.Moreover no matter how you argue it Kenyan ,Ghana Zambian pronunciation and accent is far better than Nigerian's.

yeah, extending visas for other countries is very easy but I wonder why it's like rock just to extend your permit! Nigerians are painted black - BAD PEOPLE! even some schools won't even accept you as a Nigerian

You might be lucky a get a teaching job but the chances are very slim.
Re: English Teachers Are Desperately Needed In China by shotuns: 1:38pm On Oct 10, 2011
Just like Hugooh said, white are prefered in china, especially from America, Europe,Australia, New zealand, Canada, before asking for your passport, your colour speaks and you can get a job right away with that white face, colour is very important to the chinese It's big business for schools . Most Nigerians working in here in China are either working as part time english teachers in kindergarten, middle schools,high school ,colleges or doing business on F visas, but i won't rule out the fact that there are many Nigerians with  very good accent here in China, others with a business working visa work for companies or got their z visas through agents( very costly ) Nigeria had a bad reputation in China, so your visa wont be extended and if you are lucky you've got to pay higher 10x than other countries.  Ghanians, Zambians, Camerounians, South Africans, Egyptians, Angolians are prefered over Nigerians, even if your country's first language isn't english but once you are a white face, you are a rich man.
Re: English Teachers Are Desperately Needed In China by DeepSoul(f): 1:53pm On Oct 10, 2011

To be able to teach English to Chinese people, you would need to understand the chinese language as well
Re: English Teachers Are Desperately Needed In China by Kx: 2:56pm On Oct 10, 2011
Deep Soul:

To be able to teach English to Chinese people, you would need to understand the chinese language as well

Does this go for the American teachers as well?
Re: English Teachers Are Desperately Needed In China by babeface3: 3:45pm On Oct 10, 2011
Im a Nigerian and I have good accent and really know the rules of the language. I realy need this job, how do i enhance my chances?
Re: English Teachers Are Desperately Needed In China by niviso: 5:43pm On Oct 10, 2011
Not too long I met a chinese guy in France, and he told me of the need for English language teachers in China. Then he told me that, they do not want those who are ascented eg Africans.
What do you think?
Re: English Teachers Are Desperately Needed In China by Relax101(m): 6:12pm On Oct 10, 2011
Not only China, Korea and Japan are in need of English teachers.
Hurry Nigerians while the offer last.
Na correct market for our Nigerian English men o.
Re: English Teachers Are Desperately Needed In China by vee1602: 8:13pm On Oct 10, 2011
they really need it, i took my chinese flatmate to church on sunday and she was like she didnt understand what they were saying
it was funny because the pastor spoke english

i have a japanese classmate who can't speak english, am not sure she even understands what the lecturer is saying. i pray she pass her master's programme
Re: English Teachers Are Desperately Needed In China by muyoto: 8:33pm On Oct 10, 2011
babeface3:

Im a Nigerian and I have good accent and really know the rules of the language. I realy need this job, how do i enhance my chances?

learn Chinese undecided
Re: English Teachers Are Desperately Needed In China by sizzlers(m): 12:14am On Oct 11, 2011
:-x :-x :-x :-x :-x :-x :-x
Re: English Teachers Are Desperately Needed In China by htsm: 2:12pm On Oct 11, 2011
People its not as easy as it sounds ohhhhh, Nigerians don't even try it because your passport is the first disqualification since you cant extend your stay with it while you are there, and if you are lucky and find a place to extend a Nigerian passport, it is extremely expensive.
Re: English Teachers Are Desperately Needed In China by MMM2(m): 4:23pm On Oct 11, 2011
going 2 china 2 teach is a big risk
Re: English Teachers Are Desperately Needed In China by tpia5: 4:24pm On Oct 11, 2011
english teachers are desperately needed in nigeria too.

nl alone is enough evidence of that.
Re: English Teachers Are Desperately Needed In China by atreal: 1:25pm On Oct 18, 2011
hmmmmmm
Re: English Teachers Are Desperately Needed In China by atreal: 2:24pm On Oct 18, 2011
yeah its true that chinese prefer native speakers than africans but the fact is china is a very big country that no1 can know all about or reach especially foreigners even their citizens,so as a foreigner its where you reach you can know,there are so many schools in china some really needed foreign teachers and some don't even care about it so it depends.some schools prefer africans even than white cos they have tried different foreigners and they found it very interesting with blacks more than white,besides blacks can teach good more than white forget the ascent or whtever whites only like playing games with students they gat no skill of teaching like that and so many schools dont even understand whether ur ascent is good or not all they want is making their kids happy.

I have been in china for more than four years now i have taught in different cities in china even till now , there are so many nigerians teaching in china in different cities even those that gat no visa its just that its very risk working without visa but many pple risk it and it really works for them they made their money,the only problem our pple have is greediness,imagine some1 gat no visa,no documents but was able to get a job that pays $500 or more per month with accomodation,free computer with internet,and some other things and you work for more than 1 year instead of you to use the money you get to go back to your country arrange another paper come back and get urself a sch that can pay much money but u refuse to do that you stay there and risk ur life and at the end of the day they arrest you and send you back home after paying FINE this is what many pple suppose to do and have rest of mind anywhere they go but they refuse to do it,you have no problem in china if you have your visa everything will always be ok with you,there is nothing to fear in china except the police because their police is just like their god but if you have ur visa nothing will shake you,chinese are not so corrupt like nigeria cos their security are very good here,im not saying there is no corruption but its not up to 1% compare to nigeria,its even our pple that are commiting more atrosities in china in city like GUANGZHOU that nigerains are so many and they do different shady deals and bad businesses.

Its very good even coming to china to work than staying in nigeria and be wasting away,though its not everybody that can teach because chinese also rejects some pple cos of 1 thing or the other but as long as chinese likes you and their kids also like you,you can work with them as long as they want you to,but the fact is that its very good to have papers and valid visa Z visa preferably at least with ur Z visa you can earn nothing less than 10,000rmb-15,000rmb monthly ($1500-$3000)monthly or more it depends on the sch even if you know your ways you can find urself some other part time classes with it,some schools will do ur visa whenever it expires,atleast 2bedroom appartment well furnished, free internet,1way airticket back to ur country at the end of the contract,some schools offers their teachers feeding fees every month also or you eat in their cafeteria it depends on you,so if you know you are competent of teaching dont pull or allow pple to pull u back try ur luck and im sure it would favour you,though it might look so hard when you just arrive but its very sure for you at the end of it,by the time you try 2 to 5 schools 1 must apply you im very sure about it even if you are not 100% good cos only GOD is 100% in all areas.

To talk of difficulties in extending nigerian passport our pple caused everything cos they make troubles everywhere,kill,thief ,do ilegal businesses and all sort ,even things chinese citizens are not capable of doing and the owner of the country can not get their eyes wide open and allow some foreigners to spoil their country for them,the fact is that chinese even wish there is no nigerian in china but its not just possible for them to wipe all nigerians away from here because we contribute largly to their economy they knows this truth,though they have their own fault too but not as high as our pple's this is the bitter truth.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Top 10 Most Easy Courses In Nigerian Universities / Finnish Universities Are Looking For Foreign Students(free Education) / Ex-ASUU President, Dipo Fasina Is Missing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.