Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,002 members, 7,838,515 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 01:28 AM

Africa Richest People 2011 - Most Are White (pics) - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Africa Richest People 2011 - Most Are White (pics) (12562 Views)

Exclusive: See Where Nigeria, Africa’s Richest Men Were Spotted (photos) / Who Are The Top Ten Richest People In Nigeria Now? / Nigeria's Top 10 Richest People (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Africa Richest People 2011 - Most Are White (pics) by Nobody: 6:59pm On Oct 10, 2011
^^^ dont mind them! this ones are fake!
look at their english and check that of the main guy! a lot in difference
Re: Africa Richest People 2011 - Most Are White (pics) by Yeske2(m): 7:12pm On Oct 10, 2011
Why are we celebrating them when there is famine in Somalia here in Africa? No be bad belle sha but it's a fact.
Re: Africa Richest People 2011 - Most Are White (pics) by isalegan2: 7:36pm On Oct 10, 2011
Maybe because we've learnt to accept that not everyone will spend their money the way we would.  That others are not similarly motivated.  That, probably due to age and repetition, we've moved beyond the point of working ourselves into a fit over it.

I know what I would do if I had that kind of wealth, ney, 1/10th that kind of wealth. 

You also know what you would do if you had that kind of wealth  Fate has deemed it that we are not in that position.  YET!  lol. 

When you are able I trust you will do what pleases you.  "Reversal of fortune," brother.  It happens.  smiley  Believe it.

So. . . we are not necessarily celebrating them.  It's a list.  We are commenting in it.

Plus, we don't know all the charities they sponsor. Not everyone wants attention everytime they help others, you know.
Re: Africa Richest People 2011 - Most Are White (pics) by nolongTing: 9:07pm On Oct 10, 2011
So we have 3 countries which happen to be the three Economic powerhouses of Africa:

South Africa
All the WHITE Billionaires are South African, this is obviously due to their LOOTING under Apartheid.  So the title should be [size=18pt]“All South Africa's Billionaires are WHITE”[/size].  Motsepe is only there due to the “Black Empowerment Programme”.  In 2011 the White south Africans still own 90% of the South African farming land so why not?

Egypt
There are 4 members of the Sawiris family and 2 members of the Mansour family, hence [size=18pt]2 families account for 6 out of 14 people on the list[/size].  The Sawiris family is an Egyptian Dynasty, Onsi Sawiris simply split his empire amongst his sons. Its no secret that the 2 Egyptian Dynasties had a close relationship with Mubarak.
Fayed on the other hand made his money in London, through Saudi Arms deals.

Nigeria
The $2 billion for Adenuga is based on his shareholdings in Glo ONLY.  What about his bank and oil blocks? Forbes base these values on stock market shares and cannot fathom how an African can own a Bank and oil block's 100%.  Adenuga is probably worth 3 times the amount listed, but they chose to list the “stock value” of ONE of his companies.

Dangote was listed as being worth around $3 billion in 2010 has he suddenly made $10 billion? No again after Forbes carried out further investigations they realised he was worth more!

Where is Dantata? He sold oil blocks worth billions a few years ago.

Where is Otedola? Has he lost half a billion in one year?  If so, where did he get the funds to bid for oil blocks and bankroll GEJ's election campaign?

Wale Tinubu? His company made hundreds of millions of dollars in profits; if he's not on that list he will be on it very soon.

Jimoh Ibrahim? Main shareholder in Nigeria Eagle Airline (formerly Virgin Airways Nigeria) who bought out Richard Branson with a personal stake of $250 million, Nicon, to name a few.

Kasse Lawal? The Texan (via Ibadan) oil man.

Its clear that Forbes magazine lacks adequate information about Nigeria's richest; I remember when Dangote said it himself  “I know at least 20 Nigerians who should be on that list”.
Re: Africa Richest People 2011 - Most Are White (pics) by phreakabit(m): 9:08pm On Oct 10, 2011
[size=14pt]With people like Olusegun Agangan In government, I am sorry to say that Arabians and Foreigners will continue to dominate the African circle of wealth.[/size]
Re: Africa Richest People 2011 - Most Are White (pics) by ektbear: 10:43pm On Oct 10, 2011
isale_gan2:

Are the Arabs pictured Caucasoid or Negroid?  Maybe they're Mongoloid?!  wink

Tinubu is not a billionaire. 

And they wouldn't be able to get an accounting of Obj or IBB's wallets.  Those two are scary.

Then if you call Arabs who look like this "white", then pretty much most of the middle east, Afghanistan, big chunks of Pakistan and some of India is also white.
Re: Africa Richest People 2011 - Most Are White (pics) by mulumele(m): 10:52pm On Oct 10, 2011
My White classmates are well known all over the world. People like Steve Jobs, Bill Gates, Clinton, Bush, David Beckham, Justin Beiber, Einstein, Churchill were my class mates in primary school. Musiwa, stop phocking lying. You didnt go to school with White people, you were local.

If Justin Beiber, Steve Jobs, Einstein and Churchill are/were your classmates something must be seriously wrong with you.lol
Re: Africa Richest People 2011 - Most Are White (pics) by isalegan2: 10:58pm On Oct 10, 2011
ekt_bear:

Then if you call Arabs who look like this "white", then pretty much most of the middle east, Afghanistan, big chunks of Pakistan and some of India is also white.

Did we disagree? Those guys pictured are caucasoid, not negroid.
Re: Africa Richest People 2011 - Most Are White (pics) by Sike(m): 11:08pm On Oct 10, 2011
Abegi! Na turn by turn jor. . My own time go surely come, i believe!
Re: Africa Richest People 2011 - Most Are White (pics) by ogbonoeba: 12:07am On Oct 11, 2011
In America and Europe I doubt that Arabs are considered white.  They may be considered white in Africa, but not in the west.  If you start calling Arabs white, how do you think that will make the Jews feel?
Re: Africa Richest People 2011 - Most Are White (pics) by Afam4eva(m): 1:40am On Oct 11, 2011
Those of you that are saying Arabs are not white, can you pls tell us the characteristics of a white person and why Arabs don't fall into that category.

Btw, I think this forbes list is a sham. They just come up with figures especially when it concerns African billonaires. How come Dangote is on the list and Dantata is not. Where's Jim Ovia(Zenith bnak), Tony Elumeli(UBA), Anny Okonkwo(Reltel), Pascal Dozie(MTN), Femi Otedola and Jimoh Ibrahim.
Re: Africa Richest People 2011 - Most Are White (pics) by ghm: 8:18am On Oct 11, 2011
FYI, Forbes reports only verifiable wealth. If you have been following, you would have noticed that dangote came into the list when some of his companies were listed on the NSE. Until then he wasn't included as some of his investments and indirect and not public. You will also notice that Otedola made it when the share price of AP where he had major stock was very high. His wealth fell as the AP share price fell.

Certainly, there are so many more billionares in Africa and some of the men like Dangote also worth much more that what was quoted for them. Forbes is a reputed company and will like to defend whatever they quoted and unfortunately they won't if they cannot.

My 2 cents.
Re: Africa Richest People 2011 - Most Are White (pics) by ghm: 8:25am On Oct 11, 2011
@ nolongTing

If you are sure of more billionaires from Nigeria as you said and you can do your research and present you data to Forbe's, they will certainly adopt it once they can verify it.
Another issue you may have to deal with is whether the people you mentioned really wanted such publicity or not.

Cheers!
Re: Africa Richest People 2011 - Most Are White (pics) by Nobody: 10:12am On Oct 11, 2011
musiwa.,.:

you dont make sense. There are white african. In their millions. Why do people assume only black people live in africa. You have white and black in the USA. So africa. There are white family who have lived in africa during the days of slavery, the same period micheal Jordan generation came to the USA.

So if you define Micheal Jordan an american , what do you define this white people whose generation have live in african.

i went to a private elementary school where every grade my classmate were white and black.

dont believe you. angry a few maps would help though. grin
Re: Africa Richest People 2011 - Most Are White (pics) by nolongTing: 10:35am On Oct 11, 2011
afam4eva:

Those of you that are saying Arabs are not white, can you pls tell us the characteristics of a white person and why Arabs don't fall into that category.

Btw, I think this forbes list is a sham.  They just come up with figures especially when it concerns African billonaires. How come Dangote is on the list and Dantata is not. Where's Jim Ovia(Zenith bnak), Tony Elumeli(UBA), Anny Okonkwo(Reltel), Pascal Dozie(MTN), Femi Otedola and Jimoh Ibrahim.

Forbes like to use Public Holdings (primary source), Private Companies, Cash and Property to verify the wealth of individuals, but financial information in Nigeria is a luxury so they will tend to rely on estimates.

Net Worth of top 5 stockholders on the NSE (compiled by Mfonobong Nsehe for Forbes)

Dangote Cement $11.5 billion

Jim Ovia:  $220.5 million

Sayyu Dantata: $67 million

Oba Otudeko: $63.3 million

Eddy Martins Egwuenu: $54.2 million

source: http://www.forbes.com/sites/mfonobongnsehe/2011/08/12/the-five-richest-nigerian-stockholders/2/
Re: Africa Richest People 2011 - Most Are White (pics) by nolongTing: 10:36am On Oct 11, 2011
ghm:

@ nolongTing

If you are sure of more billionaires from Nigeria as you said and you can do your research and present you data to Forbe's, they will certainly adopt it once they can verify it.
Another issue you may have to deal with is whether the people you mentioned really wanted such publicity or not.

Cheers!

Well, most politicians would not want the publicity for obvious reasons, but the businessmen love the publicity because it gives them global reach and credibility. For example Dangote was invited to Davos when he was first listed and his wealth has rocketed since then. Why? Leveraging and networking.
Re: Africa Richest People 2011 - Most Are White (pics) by Barrywhite8620: 12:36pm On Oct 11, 2011
y is aki and pawpaw not on d list? grin grin grin
Re: Africa Richest People 2011 - Most Are White (pics) by MMM2(m): 3:23pm On Oct 11, 2011
what i did see my name in dat list angry
Re: Africa Richest People 2011 - Most Are White (pics) by BOMANY: 6:05pm On Oct 11, 2011
All World and Africa richest Egyptians are from only two families, Sawiris (brothers) and Mansour (Brothers). That tells how much was the corruption in Egypt under Mubarak’s regime, where the wealth is concentrated in few families hands while the majority is crying for jobs, food to keep alive.
The revolution was inevitable
Re: Africa Richest People 2011 - Most Are White (pics) by Nobody: 10:07pm On Oct 11, 2011
Studying Business Admin as a major, can make you all get a shot at becoming Billionaires in the future lol.

Ps Arabs are not white lol, they've Paki!!, Brown skinned.
Re: Africa Richest People 2011 - Most Are White (pics) by Freesia(f): 10:17pm On Oct 11, 2011
How accurate is the Forbes list??

(1) (2) (Reply)

7 Ways You Can Make Money With A Drone / Make money on Uber & Taxify; Buy the Guide to Rideshare 3 by Taxi App Guy / CBN Injects Another $100 Million Into Forex Market

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.