Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,528 members, 7,823,300 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 08:20 AM

The Tech Craze: A Bubble, Not A Solution For Unemployment In Nigeria. - Jobs/Vacancies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / The Tech Craze: A Bubble, Not A Solution For Unemployment In Nigeria. (16720 Views)

Man Fries Garri Wearing Suit To Protest High Level Of Unemployment In Nigeria / Unemployment In Nigeria / 10 Ways To Reduce Unemployment In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Tech Craze: A Bubble, Not A Solution For Unemployment In Nigeria. by dreamxhaser: 3:36pm On Jul 29, 2023
jUeLiZ:
honestly the comments here just demoralize me..... I've started learning online...I plan to register on Aptech before the year ends for web development with python.... I'm just feeling discouraged now... please šŸ™ advice me

Bro if you follow what people say, you will never move forward. When I wanted to start freelancing, na this kind people come dey shout say it is saturated, but I went and did my homework and now it's paying me.

Same with Amazon Kdp, I can recall when people here were saying it was saturated, but somebody like evb2000 started casing out as recent as late 2022, because she did her homework.

In fact nothing cast reach yahoo, but boys still dey cash out.

There are still tech guys running 2 jobs as we speak.

I know of some sapa tech guys, but if you check well they are not that good or are not going about it the way they are supposed too. Some don't even know where to look for jobs.

In this game, you have got to give it your all and do things differently. Connect with people wey sabi game, humble yourself, no to dey do I too know (which is common among tech guys)

Last but not least, pray for grace in anything you do, tech or not.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Tech Craze: A Bubble, Not A Solution For Unemployment In Nigeria. by SafetyPlug(m): 3:40pm On Jul 29, 2023
I think people going into Tech, should change their mindset from "acquiring the skill to work for a firm" to "acquiring the skill to build something new".

1 Like

Re: The Tech Craze: A Bubble, Not A Solution For Unemployment In Nigeria. by fastseo: 3:52pm On Jul 29, 2023
AllenSpencer:

What Indians call cool money is not what you will call cool money.

Indians are cheap labour and why they are dominant in the industry.

You can use the expected wage of an American IT professional to hire 3 Indians, and still get same, or even better value

I don't understand what you are saying....
tech is big and enough room for you to make cool money rather than work for peanuts in the bank or any startup in nigeria except oil companies and big time multinational.

bro tech is the last hope of the common man. am a living witness . that's what i do and I earn 1.5 to 2m monthly

1 Like

Re: The Tech Craze: A Bubble, Not A Solution For Unemployment In Nigeria. by AllenSpencer: 4:06pm On Jul 29, 2023
fastseo:

tech is big and enough room for you to make cool money rather than work for peanuts in the bank or any startup in nigeria except oil companies and big time multinational.

bro tech is the last hope of the common man. am a living witness . that's what i do and I earn 1.5 to 2m monthly

Naira?

You still underpaid, and you buttressing that point. I was receiving far more than that 13 years ago when the game was still banging.

The value is dropping. Thatā€™s my point.

I believe you not on the international stage and dont know what's playing. So if I offered you 3m/month, you still would believe I am doing you well? That's exactly what they doing with Indians, Pakistanis and Lebanese's, and they madly appreciate the pay.
Re: The Tech Craze: A Bubble, Not A Solution For Unemployment In Nigeria. by omoluka: 5:11pm On Jul 29, 2023
o123456789:
I disagree with you op tech is not a pyramid scheme that will crash one day, instead tech is growing stronger. I advice everyone who can read and write to learn cyber security today. Note that tech is self regulatory, meaning as a quark you cannot practice. There is no one sector that can employ every body.
Does it entails writing codes? I need high valued tech skill that does not entails writing codes
Re: The Tech Craze: A Bubble, Not A Solution For Unemployment In Nigeria. by Davidcorny: 5:11pm On Jul 29, 2023
jUeLiZ:
honestly the comments here just demoralize me..... I've started learning online...I plan to register on Aptech before the year ends for web development with python.... I'm just feeling discouraged now... please šŸ™ advice me
They're fear mongers bro, don't mind them. Me that I'm also learning and answering questions on social media got contacted but I refused as I don't want their low offer, I'll soon go into Blockchain development. Keep learning, I learn every day and everytime I drop my phone I go to my system and continue. Don't let these people distract you.

One thing I've observed and you might not know is Nigerians like being gate keepers, I've benefitted from so many foreigners in tech, one even sent me money to try his app. Levels dey oh, but you have to be very good.

4 Likes

Re: The Tech Craze: A Bubble, Not A Solution For Unemployment In Nigeria. by melodyogonna(m): 5:17pm On Jul 29, 2023
People going craze undersestimate how much effort is involved, and how difficult things are. As usual they're falling for the flashy lifestyle of a few
Re: The Tech Craze: A Bubble, Not A Solution For Unemployment In Nigeria. by Draggun(m): 5:18pm On Jul 29, 2023
BS as usual.

1 Like

Re: The Tech Craze: A Bubble, Not A Solution For Unemployment In Nigeria. by fastseo: 5:20pm On Jul 29, 2023
AllenSpencer:

Naira?

You still underpaid, and you buttressing that point. I was receiving far more than that 13 years ago when the game was still banging.

I believe you not on the international stage and dont know what's playing. So if I offered you 3m/month, you still would believe I am doing you well? That's exactly what they doing with Indians, Pakistanis and Lebanese's, and they madly appreciate the pay.

Mr billionair I still don't know what you are talking about.....

what am saying is that tech is the the last hope of the common man.... the youth most especially now that unemployment is a problem in Nigeria.

I will advise those still standing on the fence to take a queue, get a course and learn something and start earning rather than working for 50k naira per month. or working as a contract staff in bank.

tech is not saturated there is still space to fit in..

am a living testimony

6 Likes

Re: The Tech Craze: A Bubble, Not A Solution For Unemployment In Nigeria. by AllenSpencer: 5:40pm On Jul 29, 2023
fastseo:

Mr billionair I still don't know what you are talking about.....

what am saying is that tech is the the last hope of the common man.... the youth most especially now that unemployment is a problem in Nigeria.

I will advise those still standing on the fence to take a queue, get a course and learn something and start earning rather than working for 50k naira per month. or working as a contract staff in bank.

tech is not saturated there is still space to fit in..

am a living testimony

I am telling you reality!

I have worked in 3 different continents with 3 multinationals. I never said IT is saturated, Its the value that comes with it that is going on an all time low!

If you know old players in this game, go ask them! In Nigeria especially, cos Nigeria was holding Africa and Middle-East down in those days. Unlike today, over 500 million have that skill! I travelled intercontinental for a 30 minutes job then. Unlike now, those skills are everywhere and can even be done for free.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Tech Craze: A Bubble, Not A Solution For Unemployment In Nigeria. by masterduba(m): 5:47pm On Jul 29, 2023
This analogy is so factual. I write content for blockchain, IoT and Metaverse blogs and I don't know jack about coding. There are people who make money from the tech aftermarket.
RobinRay:

grin grin grin
"The surest way of making money during a gold rush is to sell shovels and pickaxes to wannabe miners"

Tech has made success stories in Nigeria no doubt, but it's been over-glamourized as a quick and easy career path to financial stability.

1 Like

Re: The Tech Craze: A Bubble, Not A Solution For Unemployment In Nigeria. by Ombudsman1: 5:51pm On Jul 29, 2023
FOOLS CAN USE THOSE REASONS UP THERE AS EXCUSES NOT TO DISTINGUISH THEMSELVES IN THE TECH SPACE WHILE OTHERS WHO KNOW WHAT THEY WANT KEEP SMILING TO THE BANK EVERY FRIDAY.

I SEE MANY WHO JUST SAY IT WITH EASE THAT THEY WANNA GET INTO THE TECH SPACE BUT ARE SO LETHARGIC AND WEAK LIKE A LITTLE WORM. THEY WILL NEVER EARN A DOLLAR.

WHAT MANY DON'T KNOW IS THAT IT IS THE TECHIES IN MANY 3RD WORLD COUNTRIES WHO ARE TAKING ON MOST OF THESE JOBS FROM THE WEST AND ARE MAKING SERIOUS MONEY. WHILE THE CLIENT MAY SPEND LESS, THE CURRENCY CONVERSION RATE FAVOURS THE OTHER. A WIN-WIN

3 Likes

Re: The Tech Craze: A Bubble, Not A Solution For Unemployment In Nigeria. by darexolu16(m): 6:07pm On Jul 29, 2023
jUeLiZ:

You would be the greatest fool of all time if u allow anyone's perception to demoralize you...I don't know any profession u see in the world that's not saturated...u see two food seller shops beside each other and they are both making their sales..better continue doing ur tin and make sure u seek God first.. Matthew 6:33

2 Likes

Re: The Tech Craze: A Bubble, Not A Solution For Unemployment In Nigeria. by RedpillAnalyst: 6:21pm On Jul 29, 2023
dreamxhaser:

Lolz, I smell envy from posts like this.

But una no still get the point. Only the best of the best makes it in tech. Even the plumbers you dey call, how many of them dey live comfortable. No be from hand to mouth dem dey live too. Just like tech, only the best of them makes it.

Not envy sir.

The best of course will make it. Being the best in most situations is an anomaly, I mean hardwork, luck, divine intervention. Yes, even the sperm cell that makes it to the egg is an anomaly.

In economical situation, 60 - 80% should be able to get something decent. That's not what job market should be like.

This is no more matter of best anymore techies have been overpaid in the last 20 years and that has peaked now.

Companies are ready to pay chatgpt and llms $2 an hour. Not some disgruntled, ego driven lazy senior developer who think he deserves $100 an hour.

We are at the point of no return. It's a new world since pandemic ended. Find a side skills most jobs will be archaic in 3 years.
Re: The Tech Craze: A Bubble, Not A Solution For Unemployment In Nigeria. by ibiso1986: 6:44pm On Jul 29, 2023
I've benefited from Tech for the past 10 years... My concentration is in Google business SEO, Google Ads and YouTube Ads... You just need to catch big fishes that can afford you
Re: The Tech Craze: A Bubble, Not A Solution For Unemployment In Nigeria. by lavylilly: 7:26pm On Jul 29, 2023
grin
Unittyy:
It baffles me how unemployed and frustrated graduate think they can hurriedly take some online courses in Coursera, Udemy, Utiva within 3 - 6 months and become programmers, data analyst etc. Tech is still paying big time but the issue is that the street is littered with mediocre self acclaimed tech people who have nothing to offer.
Re: The Tech Craze: A Bubble, Not A Solution For Unemployment In Nigeria. by Simpubozz(m): 8:19pm On Jul 29, 2023
Regardless, your still canā€™t get it wrong with tech skills
Re: The Tech Craze: A Bubble, Not A Solution For Unemployment In Nigeria. by dreamxhaser: 8:44pm On Jul 29, 2023
RedpillAnalyst:

Not envy sir.

The best of course will make it. Being the best in most situations is an anomaly, I mean hardwork, luck, divine intervention. Yes, even the sperm cell that makes it to the egg is an anomaly.

In economical situation, 60 - 80% should be able to get something decent. That's not what job market should be like.

This is no more matter of best anymore techies have been overpaid in the last 20 years and that has peaked now.

Companies are ready to pay chatgpt and llms $2 an hour. Not some disgruntled, ego driven lazy senior developer who think he deserves $100 an hour.

We are at the point of no return. It's a new world since pandemic ended. Find a side skills most jobs will be archaic in 3 years.

U see! I suspect am. Na AI dey make una talk all these things. I have seen your types on Twitter and Reddit happy to see AI do peoples job.

I used to think AI will replace us all a few months back but guess what? AI can't still do the simplest job which is writing.

Which serious companies replaces humans with chatgpt. What can you code with GPT? Snake game? Besides even that snake game needs a programmer behind GPT to get the best results. To me GPT is not different than what grammly is to writers.

Lolz, gpt is more of a tool than a replacement. I don't see gpt replacing humans in the next 10 years. Stop following all this hype by twitter influencers.

From my experience freelancing, I've come to realize companies don't care about cost. It's all about quality to them, you will see people paying hundreds of dollars for the simplest tasks.

so I don't see them trusting their business in the hands of AI.

2 Likes

Re: The Tech Craze: A Bubble, Not A Solution For Unemployment In Nigeria. by Tyktoker: 9:09pm On Jul 29, 2023
Bro you said it all. Just lopsided boom that won't be felt and ineffective. See countries where there is all round inclusivity, you see it reverberate across all strata of their economic lives! Check out real estate in Nigeria, almost all the high-tech and modern shelters being built by friends and allies of those in government are just there atrophying away without inhabitants, because the middle class is hollowed away leaving the richest and the poorest. Bro make we leave matter abeg. Even the blind knows what is happening in these third world African countries with Nigeria as their Goliath!
Vilgax:
In recent years, the world has witnessed an unprecedented surge in technology, with innovative startups and tech giants captivating global markets and imaginations. This tech frenzy has sparked hope for many developing economies, like Nigeria, seeking solutions to their unemployment woes. However, beneath the faƧade of success, it becomes clear that the entire tech boom is more of a bubble than a long-term solution to unemployment in these areas.

Without question, technology has revolutionized sectors and created various job opportunities around the world. Yet, the notion that technology alone can sustainably solve unemployment in developing economies like Nigeria is fundamentally flawed. Several things contribute to this challenging situation

Limited Inclusivity
The tech industry, particularly in Nigeria, favours a chosen few with specialized skills, leaving the majority of the workforce out. The demand for a highly educated and competent workforce creates a huge hurdle for people who lack access to decent education, aggravating inequality and unemployment rates.

Automation Threat
Rapid advances in artificial intelligence and automation technology may streamline business operations while also displacing traditional jobs. In nations like Nigeria, where many people rely on labour-intensive jobs, the automation wave could result in massive job losses due to a lack of alternative employment opportunities.

Infrastructure Gaps
While technology has enormous potential, it is primarily reliant on sturdy infrastructure and a consistent power supply, both of which are frequently missing in many emerging economies. Nigeria's IT sector confronts problems such as inconsistent internet connectivity, frequent power outages, and inadequate digital infrastructure, limiting its ability to have a long-term influence on unemployment.

Vulnerability to Market Fluctuations
The tech industry is no stranger to market fluctuations, and developing economies like Nigeria may find themselves exposed to the volatility of the global tech market. Dependence on this industry as a primary solution to unemployment leaves these countries prone to economic shocks when the tech bubble inevitably bursts.

As a response to these factors, developing economies must adopt a more comprehensive and diverse approach to address unemployment sustainably.
This includes investing in education and vocational training to equip the workforce with a broader set of skills and ensuring that these skills are relevant to the local job market. Additionally, governmental policies that nurture traditional industries and encourage entrepreneurship in non-tech sectors can provide much-needed stability and opportunities for job creation.

In conclusion, while the tech craze has indeed shown its potential to generate employment opportunities, it cannot be the sole solution to the deep-rooted unemployment challenges faced by developing economies like Nigeria. A more nuanced and multi-faceted approach is imperative to build a resilient and diverse economy, ensuring that the benefits of technological advancements are accessible to all and not just a select few. Only then can these nations safeguard themselves against the bursting bubble of the tech craze and build a more sustainable future for their citizens.

But let me know what you think, am I being pessimistic towards the possibilities of tech? Or do you have reasons to believe the tech industry can usher Nigeria into a new chapter of economic prosperity? Kindly drop your opinion in the thread below.
Re: The Tech Craze: A Bubble, Not A Solution For Unemployment In Nigeria. by Sheriman(m): 9:55pm On Jul 29, 2023
Those who are saying tech is saturated are saying absolute nonsense. They rather say tech is now getting much attention from people. Tech is a difficult career which only the gains is for those who are ready to sacrifice for it.

2 Likes

Re: The Tech Craze: A Bubble, Not A Solution For Unemployment In Nigeria. by olaztek(m): 10:09pm On Jul 29, 2023
The only tech niche flourishing in this country is ICT. We also need large investment in real tech like car manufacturing, consumer electronics, green energy, industrial machines etc.

These are what actually create enormous job opportunities as we have seen in the case of China and India.
Re: The Tech Craze: A Bubble, Not A Solution For Unemployment In Nigeria. by Hassanmaye(m): 10:19pm On Jul 29, 2023
Apus:
You are right.

Tech industry is already saturated as we speak, though I believe there is still space for any one who can persevere and distinguish himself.

Secondly, the industry is fast paced so much that a skill you learnt today can become obsolete tomorrow, no, thanks to AI.
Your statement is true, I spend time learning freelancing only for chatgtp to get rid of us!
Re: The Tech Craze: A Bubble, Not A Solution For Unemployment In Nigeria. by Hassanmaye(m): 10:20pm On Jul 29, 2023
Dimaya:

That's the crazy part of the whole thing. Those making money are only selling their tech tutorials. As it is, you're guaranteed to make more money installing glass scaffolding on skyscrapers than as a programmer in Nigeria
Crazy
Re: The Tech Craze: A Bubble, Not A Solution For Unemployment In Nigeria. by RedpillAnalyst: 1:45am On Jul 30, 2023
dreamxhaser:

U see! I suspect am. Na AI dey make una talk all these things. I have seen your types on Twitter and Reddit happy to see AI do peoples job.

I used to think AI will replace us all a few months back but guess what? AI can't still do the simplest job which is writing.

Which serious companies replaces humans with chatgpt. What can you code with GPT? Snake game? Besides even that snake game needs a programmer behind GPT to get the best results. To me GPT is not different than what grammly is to writers.

Lolz, gpt is more of a tool than a replacement. I don't see gpt replacing humans in the next 10 years. Stop following all this hype by twitter influencers.

From my experience freelancing, I've come to realize companies don't care about cost. It's all about quality to them, you will see people paying hundreds of dollars for the simplest tasks.

so I don't see them trusting their business in the hands of AI.

Some people don't like to take hopium more than necessary. Sooner or later it will get there. I still know people who have video cassettes. Typewriter is still being used in some offices.

Of course, if a "tool" can reduce 200 editors and writers to 12. In principle, it has replaced 188 people.

Ask why many Nigerian freelancers are not getting gigs anymore?
Re: The Tech Craze: A Bubble, Not A Solution For Unemployment In Nigeria. by XAUBulls: 2:19am On Jul 30, 2023
Dimaya:
What tech industry?

The best you can do is research skills needed abroad. And train for it.

Don't fall into the hype of local tech industry. Most depend on outsourced solutions from India. Except you want to face the same fate that the 14 Nigerian graduates in this video: the craziest job stories you've never heard are facing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdbg7Xqg1cQ

Thank me later
Re: The Tech Craze: A Bubble, Not A Solution For Unemployment In Nigeria. by Dotman2210(m): 7:04am On Jul 30, 2023
RobinRay:
lol, I'm usually surprised how most people glorify the "gig" economy being created by the tech industry.
And to be very honest how many fintech start-ups do we really need? grin

Also the industry is prone to trends that get hyped up unnecessarily.
From the dot-com bubble
To the era of social media
To Uber type services (Airbnb, DoorDash, Etc)
To Cryptos and NFTs
To Web3
To The Metaverse
Now we're in the era of Generative AI.

The local job market for tech talents cannot absorb all the current candidates talk less of the young ones just getting started with their first
Python tutorial smiley.
This is a valid submission, some young persons just want to join the bandwagon to go into tech, because they think it is very lucrative without looking at the pros and cons especially with the dynamics of our economy and even the global economy at large, yes this is not to stop anyone from going into tech, one of skills is data analytics but I am actually a project management professional.

1 Like

Re: The Tech Craze: A Bubble, Not A Solution For Unemployment In Nigeria. by dreamxhaser: 8:04am On Jul 30, 2023
RedpillAnalyst:

Some people don't like to take Hopium more than necessary. Sooner or later it will get there. I still know people who have video cassettes. The typewriter is still being used in some offices.

Of course, if a "tool" can reduce 200 editors and writers to 12. In principle, it has replaced 188 people.

Ask why many Nigerian freelancers are not getting gigs anymore.

This is not a matter of using video cassettes or typewriters. Typewriters were only replaced by a better typewriter (the computer). Just like how mobile phones replaced telephones (Machine replace machine but human still has to operate the machine)

We are talking about AI replacing humans in the next 10 years. Who would trust his business in the hands of AIs alone? Nobody, so you still need a human behind the wheel. So, the concept of completely replacing humans is out of the picture for now.

Now back to your concept of AI reducing the number of workforces. If we are to go by that analogy, even the business will go out if market someday. Because it will be easier for every tom dick to start similar businesses at lower cost.

Therefore if 188 writes were laid off by the company because AI has made operation less costly. Don't you think more similar competitions will likely pop up and hire 12 writers each from the 188 laid off because it has become cheaper and easier to start a same business?

Or why don't you think the businesses will use AI to increase their workers productivity. Which means more profit even if they have to continue paying writers.

So it's either more businesses pop up because of cheap labour (AI) and end up hiring the same tech guys. Or the businesses will use AI to increase their worker's productivity. Therefore leaving new competitions far behind.

Don't you think the businesses will be better off upscaling their worker's productivity with AI for more profit than just cutting costs?

They day AI will cause any serious disruption will be the day it can completely replace humans. That will happen sooner or later. But this isnt that time.

Freelancers have being complaining for year's about low businesses. While at the same time you will see some people celebrating that the number of gigs they receive has increased. The market has been fluctuating for year's, especially Fiverr. But this time, people tend to pin it on AI because of the gpt Hype.

1 Like

Re: The Tech Craze: A Bubble, Not A Solution For Unemployment In Nigeria. by LUAN(m): 8:09am On Jul 30, 2023
niel63:

I dey tell you. People dey always think say tech na html and data analysis grin
is that not the foundation. Wen I wanted to go into to i was advised to start with those ones you mentioned.
Re: The Tech Craze: A Bubble, Not A Solution For Unemployment In Nigeria. by LUAN(m): 8:21am On Jul 30, 2023
Douglad:
It's always been very funny to me when people come with pitchforks to attack the tech industry in Nigeria like it's a bubble or other nonsense.

Electrical, mechanical and petroleum engineering jobs that have been seriously bastardized with barely any job openings except being a maths teacher for private secondary schools, where are the articles?

Law as a course where over 70% of the graduates end up selling imported goods from china, where are the articles?

Aside from the healthcare, every field that was once lucrative has little to nothing to offer new graduates and no one talks about it

But for tech every ekuke with internet connection go dey open their silly little mouth dey shout "it is overrated".

Ogbeni shut the fƻck up and do whatever it is you want to do. Una body odor dey disturb the environment.
mechanical engineering has useless me. šŸ˜‚. No one is talking about it saturation
Re: The Tech Craze: A Bubble, Not A Solution For Unemployment In Nigeria. by LUAN(m): 8:29am On Jul 30, 2023
fastseo:

I'm new into tech. Please could you support me with anything to download courses online. Thanks
Re: The Tech Craze: A Bubble, Not A Solution For Unemployment In Nigeria. by LUAN(m): 8:32am On Jul 30, 2023
AllenSpencer:

Naira?

please could you support me with anything. Let me download courses online. I will appreciate anything. Thanks, I still not want to give up on tech. Learning web development
Re: The Tech Craze: A Bubble, Not A Solution For Unemployment In Nigeria. by LUAN(m): 8:38am On Jul 30, 2023
AllenSpencer:

I am telling you reality!

I have worked in 3 different continents with 3 multinationals. I never said IT is saturated, Its the value that comes with it that is going on an all time low!

If you know old players in this game, go ask them! In Nigeria especially, cos Nigeria was holding Africa and Middle-East down in those days. Unlike today, over 500 million have that skill! I travelled intercontinental for a 30 minutes job then. Unlike now, those skills are everywhere and can even be done for free.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Related /past Questions/exam For ASCON Competitive Examination / 60,000 Salary Job In A Manufacturing Co. Or 70,000 Contract Job At Stanbic Bank? / Invite From Outcess-formerly CCSL

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.