Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,684 members, 7,823,924 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 06:34 PM

The Tech Craze: A Bubble, Not A Solution For Unemployment In Nigeria. - Jobs/Vacancies (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / The Tech Craze: A Bubble, Not A Solution For Unemployment In Nigeria. (16727 Views)

Man Fries Garri Wearing Suit To Protest High Level Of Unemployment In Nigeria / Unemployment In Nigeria / 10 Ways To Reduce Unemployment In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Tech Craze: A Bubble, Not A Solution For Unemployment In Nigeria. by LUAN(m): 8:40am On Jul 30, 2023
AllenSpencer:

I am telling you reality!

I have worked in 3 different continents with 3 multinationals. I never said IT is saturated, Its the value that comes with it that is going on an all time low!

If you know old players in this game, go ask them! In Nigeria especially, cos Nigeria was holding Africa and Middle-East down in those days. Unlike today, over 500 million have that skill! I travelled intercontinental for a 30 minutes job then. Unlike now, those skills are everywhere and can even be done for free.

Good point.
Someone told me that wen people were not much in tech, ones you are done with HTML, CSS, you are sure of junior level jobs. But now with JS it seems not enough to apply for entry level jobs
Re: The Tech Craze: A Bubble, Not A Solution For Unemployment In Nigeria. by Hassanmaye(m): 10:01am On Jul 30, 2023
SmartyPants:
I've been telling my friends the tech bubble will soon burst and its already evident - nowadays you can come across jobs for developers with pay as low as 100k ...unthinkable 3 years ago.
Chatgtp has Burst our freelancing
Re: The Tech Craze: A Bubble, Not A Solution For Unemployment In Nigeria. by o123456789(m): 10:33am On Jul 30, 2023
omoluka:

Does it entails writing codes? I need high valued tech skill that does not entails writing codes
No, no need for coding or programming skills, and you need only just your android phone. Contact me on WhatsApp:±2348127370217
Re: The Tech Craze: A Bubble, Not A Solution For Unemployment In Nigeria. by niel63(m): 10:55am On Jul 30, 2023
LUAN:
is that not the foundation. Wen I wanted to go into to i was advised to start with those ones you mentioned.

Did you give up?
Re: The Tech Craze: A Bubble, Not A Solution For Unemployment In Nigeria. by LUAN(m): 12:35pm On Jul 30, 2023
niel63:

Did you give up?
at a point, put later start afresh , which am still learning
Re: The Tech Craze: A Bubble, Not A Solution For Unemployment In Nigeria. by niel63(m): 2:09pm On Jul 30, 2023
LUAN:
at a point, put later start afresh , which am still learning

Yeah... but does everything you know in Tech revolves only around these? Tooling nko?

Have you played with Linux? Networking, Security? Omo, Search Engine Optimization is a thing.

Tech is deep and 9ja never see kpakam!
When people like the OP talk like this, I go dey wonder whether dem think say e easy.
It's a lifestyle. Not a shortcut or solution to ends meet.

Tech goes beyond the html, css and all we think we're familiar with.

Do you even know much technical writing takes alone? 🤔

That too isn't easy.
Shey you now understand my point ba?
Re: The Tech Craze: A Bubble, Not A Solution For Unemployment In Nigeria. by LUAN(m): 2:23pm On Jul 30, 2023
niel63:

Yeah... but does everything you know in Tech revolves only around these? Tooling nko?

Have you played with Linux? Networking, Security? Omo, Search Engine Optimization is a thing.

No. only read article on them
Re: The Tech Craze: A Bubble, Not A Solution For Unemployment In Nigeria. by Godmind2022(m): 3:39pm On Jul 30, 2023
Vilgax:
In recent years, the world has witnessed an unprecedented surge in technology, with innovative startups and tech giants captivating global markets and imaginations. This tech frenzy has sparked hope for many developing economies, like Nigeria, seeking solutions to their unemployment woes. However, beneath the façade of success, it becomes clear that the entire tech boom is more of a bubble than a long-term solution to unemployment in these areas.

Without question, technology has revolutionized sectors and created various job opportunities around the world. Yet, the notion that technology alone can sustainably solve unemployment in developing economies like Nigeria is fundamentally flawed. Several things contribute to this challenging situation

Limited Inclusivity
The tech industry, particularly in Nigeria, favours a chosen few with specialized skills, leaving the majority of the workforce out. The demand for a highly educated and competent workforce creates a huge hurdle for people who lack access to decent education, aggravating inequality and unemployment rates.

Automation Threat
Rapid advances in artificial intelligence and automation technology may streamline business operations while also displacing traditional jobs. In nations like Nigeria, where many people rely on labour-intensive jobs, the automation wave could result in massive job losses due to a lack of alternative employment opportunities.

Infrastructure Gaps
While technology has enormous potential, it is primarily reliant on sturdy infrastructure and a consistent power supply, both of which are frequently missing in many emerging economies. Nigeria's IT sector confronts problems such as inconsistent internet connectivity, frequent power outages, and inadequate digital infrastructure, limiting its ability to have a long-term influence on unemployment.

Vulnerability to Market Fluctuations
The tech industry is no stranger to market fluctuations, and developing economies like Nigeria may find themselves exposed to the volatility of the global tech market. Dependence on this industry as a primary solution to unemployment leaves these countries prone to economic shocks when the tech bubble inevitably bursts.

As a response to these factors, developing economies must adopt a more comprehensive and diverse approach to address unemployment sustainably.
This includes investing in education and vocational training to equip the workforce with a broader set of skills and ensuring that these skills are relevant to the local job market. Additionally, governmental policies that nurture traditional industries and encourage entrepreneurship in non-tech sectors can provide much-needed stability and opportunities for job creation.

In conclusion, while the tech craze has indeed shown its potential to generate employment opportunities, it cannot be the sole solution to the deep-rooted unemployment challenges faced by developing economies like Nigeria. A more nuanced and multi-faceted approach is imperative to build a resilient and diverse economy, ensuring that the benefits of technological advancements are accessible to all and not just a select few. Only then can these nations safeguard themselves against the bursting bubble of the tech craze and build a more sustainable future for their citizens.

But let me know what you think, am I being pessimistic towards the possibilities of tech? Or do you have reasons to believe the tech industry can usher Nigeria into a new chapter of economic prosperity? Kindly drop your opinion in the thread below.

On point. Agriculture should be looked into. It's one of the never-failing sure-bets out of poverty.
Re: The Tech Craze: A Bubble, Not A Solution For Unemployment In Nigeria. by RedpillAnalyst: 5:57pm On Jul 30, 2023
dreamxhaser:

This is not a matter of using video cassettes or typewriters. Typewriters were only replaced by a better typewriter (the computer). Just like how mobile phones replaced telephones (Machine replace machine but human still has to operate the machine)

We are talking about AI replacing humans in the next 10 years. Who would trust his business in the hands of AIs alone? Nobody, so you still need a human behind the wheel. So, the concept of completely replacing humans is out of the picture for now.

Now back to your concept of AI reducing the number of workforces. If we are to go by that analogy, even the business will go out if market someday. Because it will be easier for every tom dick to start similar businesses at lower cost.

Therefore if 188 writes were laid off by the company because AI has made operation less costly. Don't you think more similar competitions will likely pop up and hire 12 writers each from the 188 laid off because it has become cheaper and easier to start a same business?

Or why don't you think the businesses will use AI to increase their workers productivity. Which means more profit even if they have to continue paying writers.

So it's either more businesses pop up because of cheap labour (AI) and end up hiring the same tech guys. Or the businesses will use AI to increase their worker's productivity. Therefore leaving new competitions far behind.

Don't you think the businesses will be better off upscaling their worker's productivity with AI for more profit than just cutting costs?

They day AI will cause any serious disruption will be the day it can completely replace humans. That will happen sooner or later. But this isnt that time.

Freelancers have being complaining for year's about low businesses. While at the same time you will see some people celebrating that the number of gigs they receive has increased. The market has been fluctuating for year's, especially Fiverr. But this time, people tend to pin it on AI because of the gpt Hype.

I will hold this quote in the next 3 years.

I specialize in this area. Software engineers are venturing into carpentry in G8 countries and manual work.
Html, css, javascript and Python circle have boomed and bursted.

Agric mechanization with AI will save humanity not some UI/UX
Re: The Tech Craze: A Bubble, Not A Solution For Unemployment In Nigeria. by dreamxhaser: 6:55pm On Jul 30, 2023
RedpillAnalyst:

I will hold this quote in the next 3 years.

I specialize in this area. Software engineers are venturing into carpentry in G8 countries and manual work.
Html, css, javascript and Python circle have boomed and bursted.

Agric mechanization with AI will save humanity not some UI/UX

Okay

May we live long

Most people make the same mistake that project managers and senior leadership make: they think the engineer’s job is to code. It isn’t. But by thinking that, it opens the door to believing these kinds of tools can replace them.

If you’re hiring engineers to write tedious boilerplate then yeah it’ll replace them but that’s only because you were wasting your money to begin with.

Engineers convert requirements into technical interfaces that solve problems and may or may not use code to do it (and a good engineer will understand when it shouldn’t, where if you assume the job is to code, it becomes the only tool). This involves experience, reasoning and comprehension. Stated this way, it’s apparent that AI has a long way to go to replace good engineers. Copied
Re: The Tech Craze: A Bubble, Not A Solution For Unemployment In Nigeria. by jUeLiZ: 9:40pm On Jul 30, 2023
darexolu16:

You would be the greatest fool of all time if u allow anyone's perception to demoralize you...I don't know any profession u see in the world that's not saturated...u see two food seller shops beside each other and they are both making their sales..better continue doing ur tin and make sure u seek God first.. Matthew 6:33
thank you sir. God bless

1 Like

Re: The Tech Craze: A Bubble, Not A Solution For Unemployment In Nigeria. by salz01: 4:40pm On Sep 17, 2023
Dimaya:

That's the crazy part of the whole thing. Those making money are only selling their tech tutorials. As it is, you're guaranteed to make more money installing glass scaffolding on skyscrapers than as a programmer in Nigeria

can you refer me companies currently employing in the glass installation industry. I'm interested in this gig. perhaps you are on the same line.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Invite From Outcess-formerly CCSL / Emerald Food And Beverage Company - Owerri / Federal Character Commission Was Like A Market For Selling Job Slots – Chair

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.