Stats: 3,154,179 members, 7,821,987 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:50 PM

Why Do Nigerian Girls Hardly Visit The Gym? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Why Do Nigerian Girls Hardly Visit The Gym? (7276 Views)

Nigerian Girls: Do You Exercise? / 20 Reasons Why Going To The Gym Is A Huge Waste Of Time / Your Most Hated Exercises At The Gym? (2) (3) (4)

Why Do Nigerian Girls Hardly Visit The Gym? by uceee(m): 4:11pm On Oct 09, 2011
Why Do Naija Girls Not Work Out?

The importance of physical exercise to everybody cannot be overemphasised. There are countless books on it. Even films we watch encourage it. Yet only a handfull of girls in Nigeria have ever had a work out session. Even among that handfull who have ever worked out, only about a fifth of them have a physical exercise routine that enables them work out regularly. Yet they never fail to grab any opportunity to eat calories like there is no tomorrow. If you've ever taken a girl out, u'll understand what am saying. The results of these bad habits are there for all to see. By the time they are 25, they are struggling with weight issues. They always have to wear too-tight and uncomfortable jeans to try to hold their jiggling thighs and asses in place. They almost starve themselves to death to have a decently shaped tommy. Unfortunately, when they get married, and maybe have their first babies, they can't manage the fat anymore. They fatten up so much that their husbands find it difficult to reconcile the woman they married with the person they are living with. All these can be avoided by just working out for about 5hrs a week or even less. So for God's sake why do Naija girls not work out?
Re: Why Do Nigerian Girls Hardly Visit The Gym? by martyns303(m): 5:21pm On Oct 09, 2011
Very good question my brother. hope this makes the front page.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Girls Hardly Visit The Gym? by uzoo: 9:33pm On Oct 09, 2011
i met a lady who was celebrating her 70th birthday today who looked 40(for real) when i asked her grand child who's a teenager to show me her mom.both the mother & 70 yr old granny looked like sisters.
everyone at the party said she worked out 4 or 5 days a week at the National stadium for the past 20.years.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Girls Hardly Visit The Gym? by uzoo: 9:47pm On Oct 09, 2011
my point is regular exercise and healthy diet can transform you & you wont even recognise yourself in the mirror.
it eliminates a lot of diseases linked to old age( high BP,etc).
a lot Nigerian girls come to you & say stuffs like "if you were weighing 65kg before child birth,you can never go back to that weight ever again after child birth"
isn't that ignorance?
when you try 2 convince them its possible by showing them before & after pictures of celebrity moms like Heidi klum,they tell you that "don't be fooled ,those people go under the knife & take certain drugs to look thin"
what will i call that . . . ignorance?
Re: Why Do Nigerian Girls Hardly Visit The Gym? by uzoo: 10:01pm On Oct 09, 2011
even our so called nolly wood celebs find it hard to maintain an ideal weight and figure.(tummy bulging out )every where
i'm yet to see one celeb who has taken up a challenging role that requires gaining a lot of weight for that particular role and having to lose it back.

Renee Zelwegger was asked to gain 20 pounds to play the role of a fat clumsy single girl who was in love with Collin Firth(can't remember the name of the movie). and after the movie was shot she worked out 3 hours every day to return to her slim figure within a few months.
same with other holly wood celebs.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Girls Hardly Visit The Gym? by uzoo: 10:16pm On Oct 09, 2011
taking long walks every day or at night is also a good form of exercise.
eliminating fatty foods in your diet ,taking at least two litres of water everyday.
resist the urge to eat everything served at parties.
take natural healthy drinks or even water in place of coke,beer & the rest.
avoid "voluntary" starvation in other to .lose weight ,rather,take small portions of meals every 2 or 3 hours instead of a big bowl of rice or swallow for lunch or dinner.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Girls Hardly Visit The Gym? by uzoo: 10:39pm On Oct 09, 2011
Discipline - yourself by avoiding fatty foods & watching what you eat.

Dedication - 2 or 3 hours ,5 days a week to cardio exercise(make sure you're sweating & panting)

Determination - if you are a size 16 ,buy your self a very beutiful size 14 dress/skirt/pair of pants/top or shirt & tell youself you must fit into it before this year's christmas holidays.

get a personal scale & weigh yourself regularly to make sure you're on track.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Girls Hardly Visit The Gym? by Mcleo007(m): 10:53pm On Oct 09, 2011
Laughs out loud! grin
Re: Why Do Nigerian Girls Hardly Visit The Gym? by HISchild: 11:27pm On Oct 09, 2011
Certainly exercise is healthy for the body, but futile in the long run cause all we are is dust and shadow. Relationship/reconciliation with/back to GOD by redemption through The Lord JESUS CHRIST is priceless; "For bodily exercise profiteth little: but godliness is profitable unto all things, having promise of the life that now is, and of that which is to come."-1Tim 4:8. “So then faith [cometh] by hearing, and hearing by the word of GOD.” - Rom 10:17 - pls, stay in the holy word of GOD.

Re: Why Do Nigerian Girls Hardly Visit The Gym? by Sissy3(f): 9:47am On Oct 10, 2011
nigerian girls una don hear the announcment. make una start gyming

Re: Why Do Nigerian Girls Hardly Visit The Gym? by iice(f): 2:58pm On Oct 10, 2011
lol Sissy.

@Topic
Maybe because it's not really part of our society/culture.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Girls Hardly Visit The Gym? by uceee(m): 8:30pm On Oct 10, 2011
Well spoken uzoo. Hope our babes will take your advice though.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Girls Hardly Visit The Gym? by Nobody: 4:20am On Oct 11, 2011
lmao, i bet the OP is a fatty. why are u singling out girls? guys nko? everybody should look good, it's always been that way though. when we were young we ate less and ran around more , as we got older we started eating 6 pieces of meat like our parents did, instead of the half ounce they gave us as kids, then we have maids and stuff to do all our errands,
i agree with you. exerting energy is very important, maybe you should create work out tapes adapted to the nigerian home.no?
Re: Why Do Nigerian Girls Hardly Visit The Gym? by Jenifa1: 4:31am On Oct 11, 2011
because there is no incentive for it.
most men prefer a girl with big boobs and yansh. but curvy women are most prone to getting fat.
I personally have a friend who doesn't want to exercise because she's scared her ikebe will be the first place to shrink.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Girls Hardly Visit The Gym? by moreprof: 9:28am On Oct 11, 2011
Well its cos we dont have a culture for working out, or perhaps we are used to working out in the kitchen, lol
Re: Why Do Nigerian Girls Hardly Visit The Gym? by Freiburger(m): 9:46am On Oct 11, 2011
iice:

lol Sissy.

@Topic
Maybe because it's not really part of our society/culture.

So what your society/culture is saying women is this, women must stay unheathy in silence right?
Re: Why Do Nigerian Girls Hardly Visit The Gym? by hamdana: 9:58am On Oct 11, 2011
Nigerian girls have a lot more to worry about than gym. 90% of the girls can't afford to.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Girls Hardly Visit The Gym? by binigirl(f): 10:01am On Oct 11, 2011
most men prefer a girl with big bosoms and yansh. but curvy women are most prone to getting fat.
I personally have a friend who doesn't want to exercise because she's scared her ikebe will be the first place to shrink.
It jst nt part of our culture bt 2 visit d gym & other tink its a waste of money, bt i tink its somtin Nigerian girls & GUYS shld put in serious consideration
Re: Why Do Nigerian Girls Hardly Visit The Gym? by Otunbakay(m): 10:03am On Oct 11, 2011
You can't really blame them.
The environment they found themselves is not condusive enough to have spare time for that. They just have to hustle and work round the clock to support their families.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Girls Hardly Visit The Gym? by Nobody: 10:07am On Oct 11, 2011
One word: Laziness
Re: Why Do Nigerian Girls Hardly Visit The Gym? by SwiftSMS(f): 10:51am On Oct 11, 2011
Blame it on the green world products, body magic, and other gimmicks saturating the Nigerian market which promise fast weight loss results, while screwing us over and producing zero results. grin grin grin

The gym would be a boring torture for me  It's too methodical and routine. But thanks to Tae-bo by Billy Blanks and Bailomos Dance Class (on moloney street of obalende or is it onikan they call that area) I've found other ways to work out and have mega fun

Tae-Bo really rocks and so does Bailomos which will have you dancing to lively upbeat music of all genres. Ladies (and michelin gentlemen) you need to check them out their pricing is great and exercise has never been so much fun, hell it doesn't even feel like exercise at Bailomos.

Re: Why Do Nigerian Girls Hardly Visit The Gym? by Liss: 11:03am On Oct 11, 2011
@ Swift Sms

I quite agree with you. Gym can be boring but since working out is essential, it's best to do it the fun way examples include swimming, table tennis, dancing etc, Just make it a fun practice for yourself.

BTW, where did you get the Tae-Bo DVD by Billy Blanks?
Re: Why Do Nigerian Girls Hardly Visit The Gym? by SwiftSMS(f): 11:20am On Oct 11, 2011
Hey Liss,

The Tae-Bo work out videos were given to me by my sis I'm not sure where she got it from. I think she purchased it on-line and had it shipped to her. Really not sure

Check out health and fitness stores or video stores around you one of them should have it. A word of advice: go for the VHS ones, you know the old video system we were using before dvd's came out? Once a dvd gets scratched that's the end of it you can't use it any longer.

Be sure to get the complete package of 4 videos i.e The Instructional Work Out, Tae-Bo Basics, Advanced Tae-Bo and the 8 minute Tae-Bo. 1,2 and 3 are very important you can do without the last one.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Girls Hardly Visit The Gym? by Barrywhite8620: 12:02pm On Oct 11, 2011
y should my sis visit?
Wen iron dey our backyard wink wink
Re: Why Do Nigerian Girls Hardly Visit The Gym? by DaDoctor: 12:25pm On Oct 11, 2011
WHO SAID NAIJA LADIES DONT WORK OUT?

DEY DO!!!!

EVEN FROM AN EARLY AGE OF 12-13-14 BUT ON THE BEDDDDDDDDD!!!!!
Re: Why Do Nigerian Girls Hardly Visit The Gym? by TenKobo1: 12:34pm On Oct 11, 2011
Any woman who thinks that serving her breakfast on the bed is romantic must surely be a sad miserable glutton and for sure must be fat. That's the issue with Naija galsssssssss.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Girls Hardly Visit The Gym? by Top12Game: 1:00pm On Oct 11, 2011
Jenifa_:

most men prefer a girl with big bosoms and yansh. but curvy women are most prone to getting fat.
Please tell that your friend to have a look at Serena William's ikebe.

On a more serious note, I think both gender are guilty of this. People gain weight and develop pot bellies to show that they are "chopping". Just take a look at our Nollywood actors. Most of them are pot-bellied and out of shape after some years in the industry just to show thy are now big boys.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Girls Hardly Visit The Gym? by didoflex(m): 1:03pm On Oct 11, 2011
Hmmmmm, Why?

We are generally less concerned about our health in Naija, we have other worries especially how to survive,

Nigerian women generally tend to relax especially after marriage and after they've had kids. THEY PRESUME THEY HAVE ATTAINED THE APEX OF THEIR LIVES!

Not all of them but majority don't even try and look they way they were when single,

Apart from the women, men too don't have time to work out, but its more acceptable for a man to have a pot-belly as long as he has money in his pocket.

However we also have the Naija spec determining attractiveness for both sexes. Abroad an attractive woman is slim, even skinny with little or no 'yansh' or boobs while here a woman is attractive with a big butt, bosom and flesh in the right places.

A man abroad should be muscular with a six pack and athletic, while here it ranges from tall and slim, to big or huge or no pre-determined spec as long as there is CASH in his pocket!!! Women will generally run away from a Muscular man in Naija o for fear of beating!! lol!

Conclusion: Naija is tough in terms of creating the time to work out. I for one am guilty, from being an avid all round sports person, to a home-work-kids-TGIF-sleep-work-home-kids etc etc etc person. Its a vicious cycle.

We all should try hard to do find some way to burn and expend energy sha. (and I don't mean just in bed!)
Re: Why Do Nigerian Girls Hardly Visit The Gym? by iice(f): 1:36pm On Oct 11, 2011
Freiburger:

So what your society/culture is saying women is this, women must stay unheathy in silence right?

We have other priorities. Pursuing Making money, getting Blackberries, finding men who can shower us with money etc. Who get time for gym? grin
Re: Why Do Nigerian Girls Hardly Visit The Gym? by Rhymez(m): 1:41pm On Oct 11, 2011
iice must be a fatso. grin
Re: Why Do Nigerian Girls Hardly Visit The Gym? by iice(f): 1:46pm On Oct 11, 2011
Yes and so? grin grin
Re: Why Do Nigerian Girls Hardly Visit The Gym? by Nobody: 1:49pm On Oct 11, 2011
Some people have a stress free life I tell you.

grin grin grin grin Putting other people problem on your head.

Help With Prescription For Malaria&typhoid Fever. / Change / Court Restrains Resident Doctors In ESUT Teaching Hospital From Strike