Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,642 members, 7,809,415 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:09 AM

University/Polytechnic Web Portal: What Features Would You Love? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / University/Polytechnic Web Portal: What Features Would You Love? (3910 Views)

E-school Web Portal / What App/Software Will You Love To Have But Can't Afford? / I Need A Program For Result Web Portal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

University/Polytechnic Web Portal: What Features Would You Love? by moderatorr: 4:31am On Oct 10, 2011
storm school website!

hi friends,

for the past two months, i've been creating a school management software.

Its for managing NIGERIAN higher institutions.
am building it to fit into nigerias structure of tertiary systems, where many foreign softwares have loopholes.

Not yet stable though, but i've deployed it in one of my client institution's website.

Now the ball:
pls friend, what is the feature you would have loved in your school's website apart from checking results, please share your ideas.

I really want to make a world standard software, that can fit into nigerian type of higher institutions. This will go a long way to prove that nigerians are not just end users.

Please i have not released the link because its not yet stable. I'll feed you the link in few days time.
Your ideas please.
Re: University/Polytechnic Web Portal: What Features Would You Love? by moderatorr: 4:35am On Oct 10, 2011
i wish i could 'ping' my lecturers on ma school's website.

Eg. 'good morning sir, will the practical still hold today?'
Re: University/Polytechnic Web Portal: What Features Would You Love? by Redstone(m): 9:07am On Oct 11, 2011
Can you write software very well. especially in financial sector. If so, please send me a mail : orji_dan@yahoo.com
Re: University/Polytechnic Web Portal: What Features Would You Love? by oakcha(m): 2:41pm On Oct 11, 2011
When i studies for my M.Sc program, you can really do a lot on ur sms, lecturers can upload lecture materials (pdf,word) format, students can chat (include the social networking stuff), students can summit assignment within a time frame and window, when that time/windows closes you can't summit again, Student can create study groups online and do study discussion virtually,
You can take a look at the moodle system (open source), i think the school configured it and embedded it into the school system, if you want more info on how it works, you can hit me on deokocha@gmail.com (am not charging you oooooo)

cheers
Re: University/Polytechnic Web Portal: What Features Would You Love? by DisGuy: 3:28pm On Oct 11, 2011
time table

School/term Calender with examination dates

Contact details of Each lecturer plus

Map to all the lecture rooms and rest room

general announcements

modules for each course/ Course Content
Re: University/Polytechnic Web Portal: What Features Would You Love? by freecocoa(f): 5:15pm On Oct 11, 2011
Abeg I'd like an avenue where you could report any lecturer.
Re: University/Polytechnic Web Portal: What Features Would You Love? by truefact: 5:24pm On Oct 11, 2011
@ moderatorr,

if you an IT expert with portal knowledge i will like to make contact with you, perhaps, we can do business together, please contact me, info_md@yahoo.com, anybody else with some knowledge on web development and management can contact me too, it's about partnering and leadership
Re: University/Polytechnic Web Portal: What Features Would You Love? by Nobody: 5:59pm On Oct 11, 2011
the poster can start by lobbying the instituition to outsource the management of the portal to your organisation. then the different units, depts, offices and pay centres can contact you and say what they want and you can then do it.
in my school uniport, after all the online payment from yr1 to final, the virtually changing e-portal managers after every session, they had no way of verifying who actually paid their fees over the years thus, we had to do payment through the bursary office, in essence, it was as if we never made online payment
Re: University/Polytechnic Web Portal: What Features Would You Love? by manny4life(m): 5:48am On Oct 12, 2011
Redstone:

Can you write software very well. especially in financial sector. If so, please send me a mail : orji_dan@yahoo.com

Go to oDesk.com and outsource your software needs, besides, what type of financial software are you talking about?

@OP, spend your time and do research, ask some students if they will allow you up to a certain allotted time to view their portal system, You can talk to school IT administrators, you can buy a software / platform (i.e. if u have the money), test it and see various functions for yourself. I think there's more time involved in doing both random and defined research than there is to actually doing the work itself, I'm not claiming expert knowledge but just sharing my knowledge.
Re: University/Polytechnic Web Portal: What Features Would You Love? by moderatorr: 7:00am On Oct 12, 2011
careytommy :
in my school uniport, after all the online payment from yr1 to final, the virtually changing e-portal managers after every session, they had no way of verifying who actually paid their fees over the years thus, we had to do payment through the bursary office, in essence, it was as if we never made online payment
this is an eye opener to me. As a student my school website changes every year. But i never thought the reason could be what u just pointed out.
I could over come this if you help answer this question- what other variable is unique to each student over the whole years of stay in school? Apart from student's name(which could be typed in the wrong order next year) . Email(many students have complained that they dont have this, and they dont want to depend on this to login).
Regnumber(that of my school used to change every two years. So i its not all that dependable. What of that of your school? Secondly, students dont get there regnumber until weeks after starting school for the first time! When they must have completed their payments, how then can the site track the payments made before the student has an account?).
Your suggestion will help many students.
Re: University/Polytechnic Web Portal: What Features Would You Love? by moderatorr: 7:47am On Oct 12, 2011
manny4life:

Go to oDesk.com and outsource your software needs, besides, what type of financial software are you talking about?

@OP, spend your time and do research, ask some students if they will allow you up to a certain allotted time to view their portal system, You can talk to school IT administrators, you can buy a software / platform (i.e. if u have the money), test it and see various functions for yourself.
if i have the money? An institution pays me half a million to revolutionise ther e-system and you are asking me that. Money is not the problem. The problem is that most buy and install school sites end up not fitting into the nigerian tertiary institution structure. I have more than 9 of such softwares and they are all saying the same thing-"am not nigerian, please bear with me".

Outsourcing the entire school staff? Thanks for that suggestion. I was doing it individually before.

1 Like

Re: University/Polytechnic Web Portal: What Features Would You Love? by moderatorr: 7:52am On Oct 12, 2011
truefact:

@ moderatorr,

if you an IT expert with portal knowledge i will like to make contact with you, perhaps, we can do business together,   please contact me,  info_md@yahoo.com, anybody else with some knowledge on web development and management can contact me too, it's about partnering and leadership
thanks , i'll mail you latter in the day. 08068944517 daveozoalorATgmailDOtcom
Re: University/Polytechnic Web Portal: What Features Would You Love? by moderatorr: 8:13am On Oct 12, 2011
oakcha:

When i studied for my M.Sc program, you can really do a lot on your sms, lecturers can upload lecture materials (pdf,word) format, students can chat (include the social networking stuff), students can summit assignment within a time frame and window, when that time/windows closes you can't summit again, Student can create study groups online and do study discussion virtually,
You can take a look at the moodle system
(open source)
thanks a million. @first bolded-
for simplicity, i think i should just create the facebook kind of microblogging.for now.
@second bolded-for now in ma software, students can submit assignments, but not within a time frame. This is a feature i neglected. Thanks for reminding me.

@3rd bolded- i have used moodle.but it cannot check something off colour like aptitude test result. But i'll still mail you. More over i wanted something completely nigerian not reconfigured.

Lecturers can upload pdf etc? A bit complex for now. I'll include it in 1.3 version of it.
Re: University/Polytechnic Web Portal: What Features Would You Love? by moderatorr: 8:36am On Oct 12, 2011
Dis Guy:

time table

School/term Calender with examination dates

Contact details of Each lecturer plus
Map to all the lecture rooms and rest room
general announcements
modules for each course/ Course Content
Dis guy, you are da bomb! Trully trully i say unto you, I will not call my web application a 1.0 version until it has all the features you listed above.
Fortunately i can do that within the next 48 hrs.

@bolded
i think i have to meet the school lands and survey department for a school map.

Does anybody know what google used to create google maps so that google can search according to location?
Re: University/Polytechnic Web Portal: What Features Would You Love? by bigleap1: 6:05pm On Oct 12, 2011
email to info@sorealglobalconcepts.com for any Software needs / Consultation
Re: University/Polytechnic Web Portal: What Features Would You Love? by moderatorr: 8:48am On Oct 13, 2011
big_leap:

email to info@sorealglobalconcepts.com for any Software needs / Consultation
this thread is not just about advertising your website, but making meaniful contribution to the development of a new software.
Did you notice i have not put the link to the software? So it doesnt seem am trying to market it.

@dis guy
i spent the whole of last night trying to get students to select there courses for the semester in the year, in cluding carry over courses (from the same list of courses table in the database)
Its a complex relationship. It would be easy to achieve with php or even java. But considering the type of php am coding with, itr a bit more difficult but more effective.

I met the school lands/planing department yesterday and they promissed to get me a scanned copy of the school map! Many thanks for that suggestion.

But i think i'll have to recreate the map using autocad on a white background. What do you think?

1 Like

Re: University/Polytechnic Web Portal: What Features Would You Love? by DisGuy: 5:00pm On Oct 13, 2011
Well done

I was thinking there will be a generic time table for students in each department, for every semester, they will just cancel out the modules they are not taking.

with the map, as long as they know where the classes are, its cool

and perhaps a printable one for visitors showing the toilets, library and auditorium

do you have a link to the current website?

Well done once again for pushing the bar! i'm usually confused when i visit unversity website, either not functioning, contain very little information or very rigid- it's almost as if the students are not expected to use it part from paying their fees with a scracth card
Re: University/Polytechnic Web Portal: What Features Would You Love? by moderatorr: 7:01pm On Oct 13, 2011
Dis Guy:

Well done

I was thinking there will be a generic time table for students in each department, for every semester, they will just cancel out the modules they are not taking.

with the map, as long as they know where the classes are, its cool

and perhaps a printable one for visitors showing the toilets, library and auditorium

do you have a link to the current website?

Well done once again for pushing the bar! i'm usually confused when i visit unversity website, either not functioning, contain very little information or very rigid- it's almost as if the students are not expected to use it part from paying their fees with a scracth card

mail me so i'll send you the link. DaveozoalorATgmailDOTcom.
Any other person who wants to contribute can mail me for the link.

@bolded
throw more light on what you mean by that?
You mean academic time table?

From your earlier suggestion.
Courses now have course content io the site.
Is there a need for coursetimetable?
Where a lecturer can specify what progress is expected in the course per week in the semester?
Re: University/Polytechnic Web Portal: What Features Would You Love? by NET1(m): 7:24pm On Oct 14, 2011
i love the replies here.

.NET
Re: University/Polytechnic Web Portal: What Features Would You Love? by moderatorr: 7:17am On Oct 15, 2011
.NET:

i love the replies here.

.NET
hi .NET thanks a lot. Anything missing from the features above?
Checkout www.aifpunipesa.com where i am deploying it for the first time.
If you need to login to see more features please mail me for a passkey. I am hoping you would be able to contribute to the development by suggesting new features and modifications.
DaveozoalorATgmailDOTcom
lets go there.
Re: University/Polytechnic Web Portal: What Features Would You Love? by moderatorr: 4:00pm On Oct 20, 2011
today, i added image slides to the homepage.
However am going to make the feature available for a webmaster to enable or disable it.
I am also going to do the same for the footer links and copyright information.

Many thanks to @.NET for opting to selflessly expose bugs in the web app.
Many thanks to @disguy for his suggestions on essential features for the app.
Many more thanks to all of you in this forum who have contributed to the development of this good software.
I think i'll put all you guys names in the about section of this software during deployment.
Re: University/Polytechnic Web Portal: What Features Would You Love? by moderatorr: 3:16pm On Oct 21, 2011
school calender can now be uploaded as an attatched pdf.
I am looking forward to expanding the code to a generic calender that students can click a particular day to expand it.
Every information about the school can now be uploaded. Eg. History of the school.
I am currently working on a place were students can post information by themselves. A forum, sort of.
Re: University/Polytechnic Web Portal: What Features Would You Love? by moderatorr: 3:21pm On Oct 21, 2011
nice people, i think i should open another thread where you guys can critisize the portal application constructively.
Re: University/Polytechnic Web Portal: What Features Would You Love? by NET1(m): 3:32pm On Oct 21, 2011
Bro, you want us to see this application through your eyes? You keep telling me how the application works and looks. I personally would need access to a demo version, so I can properly criticize the application for you.

Anyway, more power to your elbows on your project.

.NET
Re: University/Polytechnic Web Portal: What Features Would You Love? by moderatorr: 3:11am On Oct 23, 2011
Alright, please forgive my little delay, am a perfectionist.
I wanted to achieve a seamlessly perfect interface before you guys start seeing the inside, that was the major cause of the short delay.
i have disconnected some previous modules(assignments, quizes, practicals, exam  etc) i have created earlier, so as to achieve this.
I will add them latter, on after the other.

here is the login for a student level:
site: www.aifpunipesa.com

Registration number: 2009/HND/9627/EE
Password:                  basket

Everyone here is free to login, and see around for yourself.
Feel free to edit and modify anything so as to understand how the app works(thats when i think you should be able to detect errors).

PS:
If you find any errors or have any suggestions to make ,
just copy the url of that particular page and please mail me with your suggestion  here daveozoalor AT gmail DOT com .
(Oops! i should have added a contact admin feature!)

My rating of the security is 60% for now. if you have any worse rating i would also want to know.

Thanks a million guys.
All those who make meaningful contributions , with your permission, i would like to add your names in the About section of the software during deployment.

(Following your suggestion, i have opened another thread for the debugging)
see ya.
Re: University/Polytechnic Web Portal: What Features Would You Love? by moderatorr: 9:31am On Oct 23, 2011
if you want to join the development i think you should mail me privately so i can show you the git.

(1) (Reply)

Test Your Knowledge Of Excel On This / What Is The URL For Jumia Seller Centre API / I Can Program A Html Css Javascript Website For 1k

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.