Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,120 members, 7,814,933 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:01 AM

Nigeria Beats Rwanda, Reaches 4th Straight Afrobasket Women's Final - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria Beats Rwanda, Reaches 4th Straight Afrobasket Women's Final (16673 Views)

Mali Players In Brawl After 4th Straight Loss At FIBA Women's Basketball W/cup / "I Will Drop My Nude If Nigeria Beats Argentina" - Lady / Alex Iwobi's Sister & Parents At The Stadium In Russia As Nigeria Beats Iceland (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Beats Rwanda, Reaches 4th Straight Afrobasket Women's Final by naptu2: 9:07pm On Aug 03, 2023

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B411DXLlPRA

Nigeria reach fourth straight Women's AfroBasket Final

KIGALI (Rwanda) – Nigeria took a huge step towards their fourth consecutive FIBA Women's AfroBasket title, courtesy of a 79-48 win over hosts Rwanda in a Semi-Finals on Thursday.

The defending champions have shown near-perfection in every aspect of the game to reach their fourth final in a row as they muted off Rwanda's ambitions from the tip-off.

Though the hosts led for a total of 1'28 minutes, Nigeria swiftly flexed their muscles and never looked back, even leading by 26 points at one point.

TURNING POINT: As the hosts scored the opening points, they entered a dry spell which saw Nigeria file a 15-0 run. It was only right before the first buzzer that Rwanda scored once again, but Nigeria managed to go up by 16 points.

From that moment, it became clear that Nigeria would be the one making it through to the Championship Game. They relentlessly paved their way to victory and left Rwanda with the hopes of finishing, at best, at the third place.

HERO: Amy Okonkwo led the D'Tigresses to victory with a game-high 23 points, while Olaoluwatomi Taiwo followed with 12 units to her name.

Okonkwo contributed 10 rebounds, 2 steals and 2 assists.

STATS DON’T LIE: So many figures speak for Nigeria. First thing: they once again relied on their bench to make a difference, producing 33 points, far more than Rwanda's 6 points.

Similarly, they also used fast breaks points (12) to calm Rwanda's nerves and clinch victory.

To add to this, Nigeria have out-rebounded Rwanda 51-35, with 36 defensive rebounds, while the hosts only recorded 25.

Third, they scored 11 for 24 from behind the arc, with Okonkwo and Taiwo sharing 9 of them.

BOTTOM LINE: Nigeria extend their winning streak in Africa to 23-0 and head towards a fourth consecutive FIBA Women's AfroBasket.

While the team has gone through a revamping, with only four players from the previous edition remaining, questions have arisen as to their ability to reach the Championship Game. With what they displayed on the court, they sure are solid title contenders.

THEY SAID: "I feel relieved honored. The team that won two years ago was a phenomenal team. But I think this team as well can fill those shoes. Under the leadership of coach Rena, we are in a good spot to repeat that win.” Pallas Kunaiyi-Akpanah, Nigeria center.

"There's no secret. But they should be empowered. I believed in them. And I put a lot of confidence. And here we are doing amazing things. Team work and confidence in them, and we see the results." - Rena Wakama, Head coach, Nigeria.

https://www.fiba.basketball/womensafrobasket/2023/news/nigeria-reach-fourth-straight-womens-afrobasket-final

26 Likes

Re: Nigeria Beats Rwanda, Reaches 4th Straight Afrobasket Women's Final by naptu2: 9:07pm On Aug 03, 2023

9 Likes

Re: Nigeria Beats Rwanda, Reaches 4th Straight Afrobasket Women's Final by naptu2: 9:08pm On Aug 03, 2023

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEEEEbUKGd8

Picture 1: Amy Okonkwo

Picture 2: Pallas Kunaiyi-Akpanah

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Beats Rwanda, Reaches 4th Straight Afrobasket Women's Final by naptu2: 9:08pm On Aug 03, 2023
Stats

1 Share

Re: Nigeria Beats Rwanda, Reaches 4th Straight Afrobasket Women's Final by ShaqFu: 9:09pm On Aug 03, 2023
5. 😁

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Beats Rwanda, Reaches 4th Straight Afrobasket Women's Final by TemplarLandry: 9:17pm On Aug 03, 2023
cool

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Beats Rwanda, Reaches 4th Straight Afrobasket Women's Final by Citizen24(m): 9:21pm On Aug 03, 2023
Congratulations to the team

7 Likes

Re: Nigeria Beats Rwanda, Reaches 4th Straight Afrobasket Women's Final by DevilishMan: 9:33pm On Aug 03, 2023
Mr. Propaganda don collect another N30k to praise sing.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria Beats Rwanda, Reaches 4th Straight Afrobasket Women's Final by Ind1ana: 9:33pm On Aug 03, 2023
Good job
Re: Nigeria Beats Rwanda, Reaches 4th Straight Afrobasket Women's Final by b0rn2fuck(m): 9:33pm On Aug 03, 2023
I don't know why I hate basketball and worst of all na rubby. How person go dey use hand to put ball inside hole and them go still jump use hand torch the hole

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Beats Rwanda, Reaches 4th Straight Afrobasket Women's Final by Wealthoptulent(m): 9:34pm On Aug 03, 2023
Wey i think na military ways...
LIKE LP PARTIES on NLC Beebvest PULLED DOWN the NATIONAL ASSEMBLY'S GATE yesterday... that what a REAL 'TORE' means is

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Beats Rwanda, Reaches 4th Straight Afrobasket Women's Final by bigdammyj: 9:35pm On Aug 03, 2023
Congrats to them.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Beats Rwanda, Reaches 4th Straight Afrobasket Women's Final by HydraFeeds(m): 9:36pm On Aug 03, 2023
Good news

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Beats Rwanda, Reaches 4th Straight Afrobasket Women's Final by Judolisco(m): 9:37pm On Aug 03, 2023
Jst 2 gifted and blessed nation

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Beats Rwanda, Reaches 4th Straight Afrobasket Women's Final by Yankee101: 9:42pm On Aug 03, 2023
With all those tall Rwandans?
Nice job Naija

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria Beats Rwanda, Reaches 4th Straight Afrobasket Women's Final by makavalley(m): 9:45pm On Aug 03, 2023
The only set of people with our musician and footballers painting our image good and representing us well globally not the so called polithiefcians

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Beats Rwanda, Reaches 4th Straight Afrobasket Women's Final by spiSeyi: 9:58pm On Aug 03, 2023
The coach tongue
Re: Nigeria Beats Rwanda, Reaches 4th Straight Afrobasket Women's Final by Gamesmart: 9:58pm On Aug 03, 2023
Imagine working your butt off in 2022 to qualify for the Basketball WC. And then one useless, low IQ, reetarded cattle rearer called Muhammadu Buhari dumbly decides to stop you from participating because of problems with the federation.

I feel sorry for the poor girls!

Buhari, e no go better for you and your lineage for the next thousand years.

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Beats Rwanda, Reaches 4th Straight Afrobasket Women's Final by Racoon(m): 10:01pm On Aug 03, 2023
Congratulations Nigeria.
Re: Nigeria Beats Rwanda, Reaches 4th Straight Afrobasket Women's Final by Ikaeniyan0: 10:07pm On Aug 03, 2023
The ladies destroyed the host , I pray the lioness no go devour the super falcons like this o

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Beats Rwanda, Reaches 4th Straight Afrobasket Women's Final by Addme: 10:09pm On Aug 03, 2023
We are facing Senegal in the final.
Go Go Go D'Tigress

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria Beats Rwanda, Reaches 4th Straight Afrobasket Women's Final by Zxcvbnmghtr: 10:11pm On Aug 03, 2023
Great
Re: Nigeria Beats Rwanda, Reaches 4th Straight Afrobasket Women's Final by youngsahito(m): 10:11pm On Aug 03, 2023
The undisputed champion...keep it up galz
To marry basketballer dey sweet for me sha.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Beats Rwanda, Reaches 4th Straight Afrobasket Women's Final by sslcrypt: 10:25pm On Aug 03, 2023
Mostly state side based players. Good to see the flow amongst the players. Looking forward to the next female basketball world cup.
Re: Nigeria Beats Rwanda, Reaches 4th Straight Afrobasket Women's Final by ufuosman(m): 10:27pm On Aug 03, 2023
Great
Re: Nigeria Beats Rwanda, Reaches 4th Straight Afrobasket Women's Final by Mccullum: 10:41pm On Aug 03, 2023
Good one girls.

Up Nigeria..

Congratulations.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Beats Rwanda, Reaches 4th Straight Afrobasket Women's Final by Lanre4uonly(m): 10:48pm On Aug 03, 2023
Nigerians awaits the trophy.
Congratulations to D'Tigress
Re: Nigeria Beats Rwanda, Reaches 4th Straight Afrobasket Women's Final by Padipadi(m): 10:51pm On Aug 03, 2023
Original people. Go girls
Re: Nigeria Beats Rwanda, Reaches 4th Straight Afrobasket Women's Final by phemmyfour: 10:56pm On Aug 03, 2023
Gamesmart:
Imagine working your butt off in 2022 to qualify for the Basketball WC. And then one useless, low IQ, reetarded cattle rearer called Muhammadu Buhari dumbly decides to stop you from participating because of problems with the federation.

I feel sorry for the poor girls!

Buhari, e no go better for you and your lineage for the next thousand years.
It was the sport minister not Buhari....since the two faction of the association couldn't put their house in order.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Beats Rwanda, Reaches 4th Straight Afrobasket Women's Final by REDshouse(m): 10:58pm On Aug 03, 2023
Obi the reactor is coming to react and congratulate them

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Okagbare Jumps 7.14m At Diamond League In Qatar / Tennis: Serena Fined $17,000 For U.S Open Code Violations / Ablefast.com - Football Pools Coupon Fixtures Up To Week 20 Out

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.