Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,148 members, 7,811,272 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 08:00 AM

Basketball: Liz Cambage Says She's In Talks To Represent Nigeria - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Basketball: Liz Cambage Says She's In Talks To Represent Nigeria (22905 Views)

Liz Cambage Denies Calling D'tigress Monkeys - Nigerian Players Reacts / Liz Cambage Denies Racially Insulting Nigerian Players During Pre-Olympic Match. / Liz Cambage To Nigerian Team: Go Back To Your 3rd World Country (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Basketball: Liz Cambage Says She's In Talks To Represent Nigeria by naptu2: 5:05am On Aug 08, 2023
The full interview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_HFv1ig0GA

Previous thread.
Liz Cambage Denies Racially Insulting Nigerian Players During Pre-Olympic Match.

Bleacher Report @BleacherReport

Liz Cambage says she’s in talks to leave the Australian team to represent Nigeria in the Olympics.

She maintains she did not use a racial slur towards the Nigerian team during a scrimmage ahead of the 2021 Tokyo Olympics

(via Taylor Rooks X)

https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/1688643460931198976

Interviewer: The altercation with the Nigerian team. Obviously there were reports of a physical and verbal altercation between your Australian team and the Nigerian team and a report says that you called the players monkeys and told them to go back to their third world country. You have vehemently denied these reports, but there are also a group of people that say that you did say these things. Why are these stories so drastically different?

Liz Cambage: A lot of girls don't like me. I don't really lean towards racially backed insults. That's not how I go. I'm very pro-black.

Interviewer: So you maintain that you did not say these things?

Liz Cambage: I did not say these to these girls.

Interviewer: Why would something as bad as this happen?

Liz Cambage: Because the truth looks a lot worse for other organisations involved, than using me as a scapegoat. Like why does Nigeria want me to leave Australia and go represent them?

Interviewer: You're saying right now?

Liz Cambage: We're filing for me to leave the Australian team so I can represent Nigeria.

Interviewer: Because Nigeria would like you to join the team.

Liz Cambage: I've been in cahoots. I've been talking with them since all of this happened. This is what I mean, people don't know the truth.

Promise Amukamara is a D'Tigress star.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Basketball: Liz Cambage Says She's In Talks To Represent Nigeria by naptu2: 5:06am On Aug 08, 2023
Shorter clip of the interview

Video of Liz Cambage hitting a Nigerian player.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TlVS3J3IfY

Liz Cambage denies calling Nigerian players racial slur in pre-Olympics altercation

Jack Baer·Writer
Mon, May 30, 2022, 6:31 AM

Los Angeles Sparks center Liz Cambage responded to an Australian media report about the altercation that ended her Australian national team career ahead of last summer's Olympics.

According to an investigative report by Sydney's Daily Telegraph, Cambage allegedly used racial epithets, calling the Nigerian team "monkeys" and telling them to "go back to your third-world country" during an incident that began when she hit one of their players with a hard elbow.

Cambage denied the allegations and claimed that she was "physically assaulted," in a post on her Instagram page Sunday night.

The incident that took place during the pre-Olympic scrimmage with the Nigerian team was handled privately, almost a year ago.

I am very disappointed and hurt by the events and accusations that have unfolded in the Australian media. The recount of what took place is inaccurate and misleading.

I did not use the racial slur towards the Nigerian team that has been circulating.

After I unintentionally fouled a Nigerian player on court I was then physically assaulted by this player on the sideline of my bench. I was hit in the face and pushed to the ground but I walked away. Prior to the game I asked to sit out because I was concerned about my mental and physical health, which I have addressed publicly.

We did not have professional referees to manage and prioritise both teams' safety during this highly physical scrimmage.

This is not an excuse or justification to the events that unfolded or my actions, however, I feel that a full picture of the environment that led to this outcome must be shared.

I have taken responsibility and accountability for my involvement in what occurred. I genuinely apologised to the Nigerian team and I once again, am sorry that these events are being rehashed.

I truly hope that I can move forward from this incident and apply actionable effort to be my best self.

Thank you,
Liz xX

Reported details of the Olympic training altercation

The incident happened at a closed scrimmage between Australia and Nigeria in Las Vegas in July, a little over a week before the Olympics were scheduled to begin.

Things first got tense with the elbow, which can be seen here. Then tensions reportedly escalated when Cambage re-entered the game, got tangled up with a Nigerian player, then allegedly slapped her across the face. The Nigerian player allegedly struck Cambage from behind as she walked back to the bench, leading the her to unload on her opponents.

From The Daily Telegraph:

Two Nigerian players confirmed they directly heard Cambage refer to them as "monkeys".

"She did say, 'Control your monkeys' or something like that," one player said. "The stuff she was saying was ridiculous.

The second player said: "That's what I recall, the term monkeys, yes. And go back to where you came from.

A third player told this investigation: "I was on the court. She definitely said go back to your third world country. I didn't hear it, but (teammates) confirmed she called us monkeys."

The day after the altercation, Cambage, whose father is Nigerian, reportedly covered a Nigerian team dinner to apologize for her actions, leading to a mixed reaction. She also apologized to the Australian team, which was described as "lighthearted" by one player.

Perplexingly, Cambage had spent the time before the scrimmage praising the Nigerian team and describing her own team as racist, according to a Nigerian player:

On the day of the practice game, a Nigerian player has revealed Cambage approached one of her teammates and told her: "Liz was telling her, 'Oh my god, I wish I was playing for the Nigerian national team'.

"She was really complimenting us, and she was saying that her Australian team is racist. This was on the day of the scrimmage.

"It's like something in a movie, unrealistic."

The rest of the article paints a picture of an Australian team desperate to keep their star happy in the run-up to the Olympics, to the frustration of her teammates. Cambage publicly lashed out at the team earlier this month, saying the team failed to support her.

Also earlier this month, former Opals captain Jenna O'Hea confirmed the training camp incident and said Cambage told the Nigerian players to "go back to your third world country."

The Nigeria altercation resulted in Cambage facing a potential removal from the Australian team, but she instead announced her own withdrawal. In a statement, Cambage claimed she was leaving the team over concerns about her mental health in the Olympic bubble.

Cambage, a four-time WNBA All-Star, is currently in her first season with the Los Angeles Sparks after two seasons with the Las Vegas Aces. She was drafted No. 2 overall by the Tulsa Shock in 2011.

Sparks coach Derek Fisher supported Cambage before the Sparks' game Sunday against the Minnesota Lynx.

“For us, we had some conversations internally — [with] ownership, with some of our players, management. Made the decision that Liz would be a welcome part of our team and that’s the way we’re looking at that at the moment,” Fisher said, via the Los Angeles Times. “If there are things that I guess continue to trend or come out that are confirmed at a later date, we’ll address that at that time in terms of how we feel about it. But right now, it’s something that in our opinion is pretty much complete, it’s just folks bringing it back up and expressing how they feel about it.

“But at this point, we don’t have much else to comment on, other than it was investigated, looked into and all we can do right now is focus on tonight and how we’re going to handle things moving forward. And if there are things to address to speak to at a different time, we’ll definitely do so.”

Cambage's teammate, Nneka Ogwumike, who is also the president of the WNBPA and Nigerian, said after the Sparks' game that the team had discussed the incident prior to Cambage joining the Sparks in the offseason.

"We got past it. So whatever agenda is happening with it resurfacing, that's other people's business," Ogwumike said after the Sparks' win Sunday, via the Times. "And quite frankly, we talked about it before she came to the team and granted, people have their own accounts of what happened, but we addressed it and we talked about how important it is for us to be together, be transparent and also empower giving people second chances.

"She could probably have more to say to her side of the story, but as a team, we talked about it and addressed it and anything else is really not anyone else's business unless Liz comes out and says what she wants to say. That's kind of all I have to say about that."

https://sports.yahoo.com/liz-cambage-nigerian-players-olympics-altercation-racial-slur-053100483.html
Re: Basketball: Liz Cambage Says She's In Talks To Represent Nigeria by naptu2: 5:06am On Aug 08, 2023
More.
Re: Basketball: Liz Cambage Says She's In Talks To Represent Nigeria by ShaqFu: 7:09am On Aug 08, 2023
naptu2:
The full interview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_HFv1ig0GA

Previous thread.
Liz Cambage Denies Racially Insulting Nigerian Players During Pre-Olympic Match.

Bleacher Report @BleacherReport

Promise Amukamara is a D'Tigress star.
this woman is very proud and arrogant.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Basketball: Liz Cambage Says She's In Talks To Represent Nigeria by Mynd44: 7:11am On Aug 08, 2023
Represent ko
House of Representatives ni.

We will rather lose back to back to back than have her on the Nigerian team. The drama she carries alone will cost us a lot.

She and the former coach can start their own team

68 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Basketball: Liz Cambage Says She's In Talks To Represent Nigeria by oluseyiforjesus(m): 7:14am On Aug 08, 2023
Success hv many fathers failure is a bastard

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Basketball: Liz Cambage Says She's In Talks To Represent Nigeria by Blackestjunior(m): 7:17am On Aug 08, 2023
Dey your dey oo

27 Likes

Re: Basketball: Liz Cambage Says She's In Talks To Represent Nigeria by crossfm: 7:17am On Aug 08, 2023
Hehehe.

We don't need woke culture in Nigeria.

She want to come and negate our peace and progress which the team is building.

Nigeria as a country is great,just bad leadership,and once we get that right,the sky will be a starting point for us.

53 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Basketball: Liz Cambage Says She's In Talks To Represent Nigeria by BrickDevo: 7:17am On Aug 08, 2023
Nice move, i hope they don't owe her
Re: Basketball: Liz Cambage Says She's In Talks To Represent Nigeria by Swagk101(m): 7:17am On Aug 08, 2023
Two Nigerian players confirmed they directly heard Cambage refer to them as "monkeys".

"She did say, 'Control your monkeys' or something like that," one player said. "The stuff she was saying was ridiculous.

The second player said: "That's what I recall, the term monkeys, yes. And go back to where you came from.

Imagine, na now wey she see say we dey win back to back she come realize say we no be monkey grin

32 Likes 1 Share

Re: Basketball: Liz Cambage Says She's In Talks To Represent Nigeria by DropsMic(m): 7:17am On Aug 08, 2023
We no want you

5 Likes

Re: Basketball: Liz Cambage Says She's In Talks To Represent Nigeria by FOOTSOLDIER2(f): 7:19am On Aug 08, 2023
What I see is a tall thick Caucasian for better doking cheesy grin

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Basketball: Liz Cambage Says She's In Talks To Represent Nigeria by faithfull18(f): 7:19am On Aug 08, 2023
Hmmn.
Re: Basketball: Liz Cambage Says She's In Talks To Represent Nigeria by OneCandleAway(f): 7:19am On Aug 08, 2023
BrickDevo:
Nice move, i hope they don't owe her

Did you read at all.

24 Likes

Re: Basketball: Liz Cambage Says She's In Talks To Represent Nigeria by kasim155: 7:20am On Aug 08, 2023
Very soon na, Most Nigeria national team will be fill with half cast.

8 Likes

Re: Basketball: Liz Cambage Says She's In Talks To Represent Nigeria by DenreleDave(m): 7:20am On Aug 08, 2023
grin grin

I can't believe that I read this epistle..

What has gotten into me?

3 Likes

Re: Basketball: Liz Cambage Says She's In Talks To Represent Nigeria by Sultty(m): 7:21am On Aug 08, 2023
people lie a lot women lie more

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Basketball: Liz Cambage Says She's In Talks To Represent Nigeria by CSTRR: 7:21am On Aug 08, 2023
She wants to represent the same team that she racially abused?

Lol.

She is just using us for clout.

But she is a world class player though.
A good addition if she comes.

10 Likes

Re: Basketball: Liz Cambage Says She's In Talks To Represent Nigeria by Skillsnigeria: 7:21am On Aug 08, 2023
Hmmm
Re: Basketball: Liz Cambage Says She's In Talks To Represent Nigeria by Jaqenhghar: 7:22am On Aug 08, 2023
Niggerians with their coonish "everything foreign is good" mentality a will happily forgive her.

2 Likes

Re: Basketball: Liz Cambage Says She's In Talks To Represent Nigeria by Kellie069(m): 7:22am On Aug 08, 2023
9ja women basket ball team na Top Dog actually. Dem too sabi,

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Basketball: Liz Cambage Says She's In Talks To Represent Nigeria by OyeofIkoTuN(m): 7:23am On Aug 08, 2023
Dey play

Someone please help me read and answer this simple question for me biko.. is she racist or not? I can see monkey in the comments

2 Likes

Re: Basketball: Liz Cambage Says She's In Talks To Represent Nigeria by danowena: 7:23am On Aug 08, 2023
It's nice to see our half castes, foreign born and foreign based folks are now clamouring to play for Nigeria.
Any which way, we don't want her.

3 Likes

Re: Basketball: Liz Cambage Says She's In Talks To Represent Nigeria by brainpulse: 7:24am On Aug 08, 2023
grin

1 Like

Re: Basketball: Liz Cambage Says She's In Talks To Represent Nigeria by dalebrown: 7:25am On Aug 08, 2023
Our basketball ladies are so fiiiinnnnneeee cheesy grin

9 Likes

Re: Basketball: Liz Cambage Says She's In Talks To Represent Nigeria by iLoveYouToo(m): 7:25am On Aug 08, 2023
Image cleaning but we forgive you, hop on, let’s beat the West at their game.

2 Likes

Re: Basketball: Liz Cambage Says She's In Talks To Represent Nigeria by brainpulse: 7:26am On Aug 08, 2023
Those important people adding value to this Nation speaks well of Nigeria and wants to do more. But Obiidiots that have nothing to add and whose parents are as usless like them in life are the one always wailing and speaking bad about their useles Nigeria life.

3 Likes

Re: Basketball: Liz Cambage Says She's In Talks To Represent Nigeria by pongwa(m): 7:27am On Aug 08, 2023
naptu2:
More.
she has ate her words so she is welcome

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigeria V Burkina Fasso - The Premier League Has Destroyed Our Football / Osimhen Nets Seventh Serie A Goal As Napoli Leapfrog Juventus / PHOTO: Copy Of Keshi's Letter To The NFF

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.