Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,059 members, 7,810,953 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 07:18 PM

Liz Cambage Denies Calling D'tigress Monkeys - Nigerian Players Reacts - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Liz Cambage Denies Calling D'tigress Monkeys - Nigerian Players Reacts (27472 Views)

Basketball: Liz Cambage Says She's In Talks To Represent Nigeria / Liz Cambage Denies Racially Insulting Nigerian Players During Pre-Olympic Match. / Liz Cambage To Nigerian Team: Go Back To Your 3rd World Country (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Liz Cambage Denies Calling D'tigress Monkeys - Nigerian Players Reacts by tundetech5: 1:34pm On Aug 09, 2023
Nigerian players react on social media after Liz Cambage denies calling D'Tigress monkeys.

Following Australia's Liz Cambage's explosive interview with Taylor Rooks of Bleacher Report the Nigerian basketball social media space has been on fire.

In a lengthy interview with Taylor Rooks of Bleacher Report, Cambage addressed claims that she racially disparaged Nigerian players during a warm-up game for the Opals' 2021 Olympic campaign.

Cambage confirmed she had been involved in a physical incident during the warm-up game and that there "were words exchanged" before withdrawing from the Tokyo Games due to mental health issues.

The interview has brought back memories of the situation that a lot of people put in the past.

Liz Cambage's initial response to monkey speculation
When the accusation was first made was a statement by Liz CXamage that apologized to the Nigerian team.

She said, "The incident that took place in the pre-Olympic scrimmage with the Nigerian national team was handled privately almost a year ago,

"I am very disappointed and hurt by the events and accusations that have unfolded in the Australian media.

"The account of what took place is inaccurate and misleading. I did not use the racial slur toward the Nigerian team that has been circulating.

"After I unintentionally fouled a Nigerian player on court, I was then physically assaulted by this player on the sideline of my bench.

"I was hit in the face and pushed to the ground, but I walked away. ... We did not have professional referees to manage and prioritize both teams' safety during this highly physical scrimmage.

"This is not an excuse of justification to the events that unfolded or my actions, however, I feel that a full picture of the environment that led to this outcome must be shared.

" I have taken responsibility and accountability for my involvement in what occurred. I genuinely apologized to the Nigerian team and I once again am sorry that these events are being rehashed.

"I truly hope that I can move forward from this incident and apply actionable effort to be my best self."

Liz Cambage explains D'Tigress monkey chants from her perspective
Cambage spoke on her hesitation to compete at the Tokyo Olympics when asked about the claims and why her side of the story is so different.

She said, “A lot of girls don’t like me and a lot of times I say no to something, people really want to make me look like the issue.

“I never wanted to go into that Olympics. I spent the whole week going into that bubble saying I don’t want to be in the bubble.

"I’ll show you text messages between me and Sandy Brondello [saying] I do not want to go to this Olympics, I do not want to be a part of this Olympics, I do not believe in this Olympics.

“I feel like the Tokyo Olympics is everything against what the true Olympics is. Like the Olympics is about nations coming together, not weird bubbles.

"I’m not a bubble girl. I have anxiety and I need to be able to leave situations like that [snaps fingers]... there is so much pressure.

“This is the pinnacle of sport. This is the Olympics. I’m already struggling mentally and physically. I’m open and honest about everything...

“This one girl that has been saying I called them monkeys... I’ll call you a b***h. I’ll call you a dumb b***h. That’s what I say to people I get angry with,” Cambage said.

“I don’t really lean towards racial insults. That’s not how I go. I’m very pro-Black. I did not say these things. This girl that is saying all these things had a lot to say about me.

“Leak the tapes. I’ve never owned the tapes. Leak the tapes. Y’all want to see the truth, leak the tapes. Everyone in Australia that has seen the tapes, still lying about what is on these tapes, leak the tapes.”

Liz Cambage issues statement after new tape
A section of the tapes has now been revealed on social media which has sparked more wild reactions on social media.

Liz Cambage has issued a statement following the release of an additional video showing their confrontation at a pre-Tokyo Olympics scrimmage.

She denied racist slurs, though, and added that she was "pretty annoyed at all the fake news and lies.

A opposing player was elbowed in the head by Cambage during a practice match in Las Vegas that was played behind closed doors, as seen in the footage

After the altercation, the newly released video shows Cambage leaving in the direction of the Australia bench while also appearing to speak with Nigerian players nearby.

In response to what Cambage stated, a Nigerian player then rushes toward her and appears to punch her as the two teams converge.

The statement by the 31-year-old said, “In light of the circulating footage from the 2021 scrimmage between the Opals and D’Tigress, I want to provide clarity on my recollection of the events.

“Before the scrimmage, I had expressed concerns to Opals staff about the unacceptable playing conditions within the COVID ‘Bubble’ they were imposing.

"The circulating video portrays a highly physical game with no officiating, resulting in me being attacked and sustaining a concussion.

"Contrary to false claims, I did not use racial slurs or refer to anyone as a monkey, which is evident from the footage.

“To set the record straight, I never stated that I had officially joined the Nigerian national team. Instead, I expres

"I had discussions with staff members about the necessary steps to become eligible, and thought I was doing them. I extend my best wishes to all players on D’Tigress.

“My dedication to fostering positive change in the sport I love remains unwavering. I have always taken pride in representing the game throughout my career.

“I kindly urge the media and fans to fact-check before publishing and to avoid spreading unverified claims. I also send well wishes to all my former teammates. Looking forward to seeing you all on the court.

“Love and light.”

Liz Cambage claims Nigeria wants her
In the interview, a statement by Cambage that went viral was her saying the Nigeria Basketball Federation (NBBF) want her to dump Australia.

She said, “Like, why does Nigeria want me to leave Australia and represent them? We’re filing for me to leave the Australian team so I can represent Nigeria. I’ve been in cahoots, I’ve been talking with them since all of this happened.

“This is what I mean, people don’t know the truth. I honestly haven’t had one journalist that has written all these lies actually come to me and want my side of the story. There’s a whole tape with the truth out there.

D'Tigress react to Liz Cambage
Nigerian basketball players have taken to social media to debunk the statements by Cambage about the incident and her international allegiance switch.

Promise Amukamara on Twitter said, “She called us Monkeys & told us to go back to our country. Yes she said that!” wrote Amukamara.

“Literally everyone from both teams have the same story BUT her, so y’all do the math! & the only person she has been in “cahoots” w/ was the former coach of our National team & he’s no longer the coach, so there’s that!”

Sarah Ogoke a key player as D'Tigress beat Senegal to win the 2023 FIBA Women's Afrobasket also added, “We are not recruiting you and you definitely spewed racist profanities against us during our scrimmage”.

There are claims that the negotiations for Cambage to switch were made by the former coach but have been shit down since the appointment of Rena Wakama.

The saga involving Cambage is not expected to end soon as many stakeholders are expected to give their opinion going forward.

Source: Pulse Sport Nigeria

https://www.pulsesports.ng/basketball/story/liz-cambage-denies-calling-dtigress-monkeys-nigerian-players-react-on-social-media-2023080906081884237

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Liz Cambage Denies Calling D'tigress Monkeys - Nigerian Players Reacts by Alchemy528: 1:36pm On Aug 09, 2023
That's just talent, like go and watch Messi games talent everywhere

2 Likes

Re: Liz Cambage Denies Calling D'tigress Monkeys - Nigerian Players Reacts by marlow1962(m): 1:54pm On Aug 09, 2023
Om
Re: Liz Cambage Denies Calling D'tigress Monkeys - Nigerian Players Reacts by Daamaaxi(m): 1:55pm On Aug 09, 2023
Okay
Re: Liz Cambage Denies Calling D'tigress Monkeys - Nigerian Players Reacts by iLoveYouToo(m): 1:55pm On Aug 09, 2023
I don’t know what she did or didn’t do, all I know is this girl just wants to play basketball. Nobody holy pass

D’Tigress however need to be careful before the select her because this type of player can be very disruptive and destroy team spirit

48 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Liz Cambage Denies Calling D'tigress Monkeys - Nigerian Players Reacts by donfemo(m): 1:55pm On Aug 09, 2023
They are champions that’s what matters!

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Liz Cambage Denies Calling D'tigress Monkeys - Nigerian Players Reacts by Ppogbae: 1:56pm On Aug 09, 2023
This woman has burnt all of her bridges. Even Australians rejoiced at the false rumors of her switching to Nigeria.

47 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Liz Cambage Denies Calling D'tigress Monkeys - Nigerian Players Reacts by silverx(m): 1:56pm On Aug 09, 2023
tundetech5:
Nigerian players react on social media after Liz Cambage denies calling D'Tigress monkeys.

Following Australia's Liz Cambage's explosive interview with Taylor Rooks of Bleacher Report the Nigerian basketball social media space has been on fire.

In a lengthy interview with Taylor Rooks of Bleacher Report, Cambage addressed claims that she racially disparaged Nigerian players during a warm-up game for the Opals' 2021 Olympic campaign.

Cambage confirmed she had been involved in a physical incident during the warm-up game and that there "were words exchanged" before withdrawing from the Tokyo Games due to mental health issues.

The interview has brought back memories of the situation that a lot of people put in the past.

When the accusation was first made was a statement by Liz CXamage that apologized to the Nigerian team.

She said, "The incident that took place in the pre-Olympic scrimmage with the Nigerian national team was handled privately almost a year ago,

"I am very disappointed and hurt by the events and accusations that have unfolded in the Australian media.

"The account of what took place is inaccurate and misleading. I did not use the racial slur toward the Nigerian team that has been circulating.

"After I unintentionally fouled a Nigerian player on court, I was then physically assaulted by this player on the sideline of my bench.

"I was hit in the face and pushed to the ground, but I walked away. ... We did not have professional referees to manage and prioritize both teams' safety during this highly physical scrimmage.

"This is not an excuse of justification to the events that unfolded or my actions, however, I feel that a full picture of the environment that led to this outcome must be shared.

" I have taken responsibility and accountability for my involvement in what occurred. I genuinely apologized to the Nigerian team and I once again am sorry that these events are being rehashed.

"I truly hope that I can move forward from this incident and apply actionable effort to be my best self."

Cambage spoke on her hesitation to compete at the Tokyo Olympics when asked about the claims and why her side of the story is so different.

She said, “A lot of girls don’t like me and a lot of times I say no to something, people really want to make me look like the issue.

“I never wanted to go into that Olympics. I spent the whole week going into that bubble saying I don’t want to be in the bubble.

"I’ll show you text messages between me and Sandy Brondello [saying] I do not want to go to this Olympics, I do not want to be a part of this Olympics, I do not believe in this Olympics.

“I feel like the Tokyo Olympics is everything against what the true Olympics is. Like the Olympics is about nations coming together, not weird bubbles.

"I’m not a bubble girl. I have anxiety and I need to be able to leave situations like that [snaps fingers]... there is so much pressure.

“This is the pinnacle of sport. This is the Olympics. I’m already struggling mentally and physically. I’m open and honest about everything...

“This one girl that has been saying I called them monkeys... I’ll call you a b***h. I’ll call you a dumb b***h. That’s what I say to people I get angry with,” Cambage said.

“I don’t really lean towards racial insults. That’s not how I go. I’m very pro-Black. I did not say these things. This girl that is saying all these things had a lot to say about me.

“Leak the tapes. I’ve never owned the tapes. Leak the tapes. Y’all want to see the truth, leak the tapes. Everyone in Australia that has seen the tapes, still lying about what is on these tapes, leak the tapes.”

A section of the tapes has now been revealed on social media which has sparked more wild reactions on social media.

Liz Cambage has issued a statement following the release of an additional video showing their confrontation at a pre-Tokyo Olympics scrimmage.

She denied racist slurs, though, and added that she was "pretty annoyed at all the fake news and lies.

A opposing player was elbowed in the head by Cambage during a practice match in Las Vegas that was played behind closed doors, as seen in the footage

After the altercation, the newly released video shows Cambage leaving in the direction of the Australia bench while also appearing to speak with Nigerian players nearby.

In response to what Cambage stated, a Nigerian player then rushes toward her and appears to punch her as the two teams converge.

The statement by the 31-year-old said, “In light of the circulating footage from the 2021 scrimmage between the Opals and D’Tigress, I want to provide clarity on my recollection of the events.

“Before the scrimmage, I had expressed concerns to Opals staff about the unacceptable playing conditions within the COVID ‘Bubble’ they were imposing.

"The circulating video portrays a highly physical game with no officiating, resulting in me being attacked and sustaining a concussion.

"Contrary to false claims, I did not use racial slurs or refer to anyone as a monkey, which is evident from the footage.

“To set the record straight, I never stated that I had officially joined the Nigerian national team. Instead, I expres

"I had discussions with staff members about the necessary steps to become eligible, and thought I was doing them. I extend my best wishes to all players on D’Tigress.

“My dedication to fostering positive change in the sport I love remains unwavering. I have always taken pride in representing the game throughout my career.

“I kindly urge the media and fans to fact-check before publishing and to avoid spreading unverified claims. I also send well wishes to all my former teammates. Looking forward to seeing you all on the court.

“Love and light.”

In the interview, a statement by Cambage that went viral was her saying the Nigeria Basketball Federation (NBBF) want her to dump Australia.

She said, “Like, why does Nigeria want me to leave Australia and represent them? We’re filing for me to leave the Australian team so I can represent Nigeria. I’ve been in cahoots, I’ve been talking with them since all of this happened.

“This is what I mean, people don’t know the truth. I honestly haven’t had one journalist that has written all these lies actually come to me and want my side of the story. There’s a whole tape with the truth out there.

Nigerian basketball players have taken to social media to debunk the statements by Cambage about the incident and her international allegiance switch.

Promise Amukamara on Twitter said, “She called us Monkeys & told us to go back to our country. Yes she said that!” wrote Amukamara.

“Literally everyone from both teams have the same story BUT her, so y’all do the math! & the only person she has been in “cahoots” w/ was the former coach of our National team & he’s no longer the coach, so there’s that!”

Sarah Ogoke a key player as D'Tigress beat Senegal to win the 2023 FIBA Women's Afrobasket also added, “We are not recruiting you and you definitely spewed racist profanities against us during our scrimmage”.

There are claims that the negotiations for Cambage to switch were made by the former coach but have been shit down since the appointment of Rena Wakama.

The saga involving Cambage is not expected to end soon as many stakeholders are expected to give their opinion going forward.

https://www.pulsesports.ng/basketball/story/liz-cambage-denies-calling-dtigress-monkeys-nigerian-players-react-on-social-media-2023080906081884237
Na she sabi

1 Like

Re: Liz Cambage Denies Calling D'tigress Monkeys - Nigerian Players Reacts by DenreleDave(m): 1:56pm On Aug 09, 2023
grin grin

Their problem... Their business..

I'm less concerned

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Liz Cambage Denies Calling D'tigress Monkeys - Nigerian Players Reacts by inoki247: 1:56pm On Aug 09, 2023
Lol nothing dey pain man if you call me Monkey na to call u agama Lizard....

3 Likes

Re: Liz Cambage Denies Calling D'tigress Monkeys - Nigerian Players Reacts by iLoveYouToo(m): 1:56pm On Aug 09, 2023
donfemo:
They are champions that’s what matters!

I don’t think she has joined the team yet . She has come up with these defenses because she wants to represent Nigeria.

Her former teammates (Australia) have even confirmed that she made those damning statements

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Liz Cambage Denies Calling D'tigress Monkeys - Nigerian Players Reacts by ahnie: 1:56pm On Aug 09, 2023
Hate speech
Re: Liz Cambage Denies Calling D'tigress Monkeys - Nigerian Players Reacts by JackDaAlienz(m): 1:57pm On Aug 09, 2023
Women are very childish babies
Very useless, always fighting each other

Nigerian player punched her first
That is why she called you monkey
Una think say na lagos where u go punch person.. Nothing go happen
You punch person
The person you punch call you monkey
Now you come dey cry...fear women

I remember when my ex vex throw her hair dryer machine, it hit my face, small nose bleed.
I come insult her, call her all sorts of names

Do you know that this girl report me to her family that i called her bastard and other hurtful names.
She no tell them say na she first throw dryer hit my face
She only told them all the bad words i called her

In this case, i support Australian babe
Nigerian girls can be witches
They can hit you with stick and see no problem but just insult her with bad words and she will start crying victim.

Women are just like children...

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Liz Cambage Denies Calling D'tigress Monkeys - Nigerian Players Reacts by ZombiePUNISHER: 1:59pm On Aug 09, 2023
undecided

only Tinubu supporters are monkeys

Begging on the road for lifts and what not

meanwhile Tinubu and his cronies are enjoying their enjoyment allowance grin

6 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Liz Cambage Denies Calling D'tigress Monkeys - Nigerian Players Reacts by 7demons: 1:59pm On Aug 09, 2023
D
Re: Liz Cambage Denies Calling D'tigress Monkeys - Nigerian Players Reacts by Dbestbrest: 2:00pm On Aug 09, 2023
This Liz of a girl should just shut up. Don't let Nigerians cook food for you, you won't be able to finish it in your life time

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Liz Cambage Denies Calling D'tigress Monkeys - Nigerian Players Reacts by Racoon(m): 2:02pm On Aug 09, 2023
This Liz of a girl is a chronic irredeemable pathological liar. No sane person should take her serious.

3 Likes

Re: Liz Cambage Denies Calling D'tigress Monkeys - Nigerian Players Reacts by MetroLane: 2:02pm On Aug 09, 2023
Even Nigerians that have Carried tribalism on their head like dandruff will come out and talk bad about this lady.

She might not be a good person, whether or not she called them monkey, she has her karma to deal with.

But Nigerians that hate themselves so much will suddenly become United in other feast on her matter, then when the issue dies down, they return to hating themselves and using tribal slurs.

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Liz Cambage Denies Calling D'tigress Monkeys - Nigerian Players Reacts by gameova(m): 2:03pm On Aug 09, 2023
Trying to save face
Re: Liz Cambage Denies Calling D'tigress Monkeys - Nigerian Players Reacts by Sapaz02: 2:04pm On Aug 09, 2023
tundetech5:

“Love and light.”

# someone with a misplaced identity calling out people who know their root. Mthcw

1 Like

Re: Liz Cambage Denies Calling D'tigress Monkeys - Nigerian Players Reacts by Goodlady(f): 2:04pm On Aug 09, 2023
She's bearing Folake. She must be tough!
That name is venomous!
I v read about her and all I see is negativity. She left the Australian team in an inglorious way and now trying to come to Nija when we never chop belle full.

6 Likes

Re: Liz Cambage Denies Calling D'tigress Monkeys - Nigerian Players Reacts by Peejayz: 2:06pm On Aug 09, 2023
silverx:

Na she sabi
you had to quote the whole thing .... Goat

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Liz Cambage Denies Calling D'tigress Monkeys - Nigerian Players Reacts by Kcfresh2103(m): 2:07pm On Aug 09, 2023
If she call them monkey, make dem call her gorilla make the matter rest.
Re: Liz Cambage Denies Calling D'tigress Monkeys - Nigerian Players Reacts by Kcfresh2103(m): 2:07pm On Aug 09, 2023
You now don call person goat.
Peejayz:
you had to quote the whole thing .... Goat
Re: Liz Cambage Denies Calling D'tigress Monkeys - Nigerian Players Reacts by Omoawoke: 2:11pm On Aug 09, 2023
Those beautiful girls

Everybody seems to have an issue with her.
Talent is not enough, discipline is very important

4 Likes

Re: Liz Cambage Denies Calling D'tigress Monkeys - Nigerian Players Reacts by Obakoolex(m): 2:12pm On Aug 09, 2023
Thunder fire her
Re: Liz Cambage Denies Calling D'tigress Monkeys - Nigerian Players Reacts by blingxx(m): 2:15pm On Aug 09, 2023
Racism in sport is very common no biggie
Re: Liz Cambage Denies Calling D'tigress Monkeys - Nigerian Players Reacts by transient123(m): 2:17pm On Aug 09, 2023
Pls, don't take her in, she will be rocking the boat and will be a cancer to the team.

2 Likes

Re: Liz Cambage Denies Calling D'tigress Monkeys - Nigerian Players Reacts by Obierika(m): 2:18pm On Aug 09, 2023
Ppogbae:
This woman has burnt all of her bridges. Even Australians rejoiced at the false rumors of her switching to Nigeria.

It appears she's a very toxic person

5 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Top 19 Jersey For Russia 2018 World Cup / Guinness World Record: Davido, Sowore Turn Up To Support Chess Master, Onakoya / Schweinsteiger & Bale... 9 Modern Stars Who Made Career Playing Out Of Position

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.