Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,313 members, 7,839,508 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 09:15 PM

The Five Stages Of Publishing Your Book - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Five Stages Of Publishing Your Book (189 Views)

What's The Cost Of Publishing A Book And How To Make Profit From It? / How To Make N400,000 Steady Monthly Income With Your Book / Have You Tried Publishing Your Books Through Publiseer? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Five Stages Of Publishing Your Book by TRWConsult(m): 6:28pm On Aug 09, 2023
I’ll start with a disclaimer and some credentials; I’m involved in the submissions and editing process for Grimbold Books, my publisher. It’s a small indie press, which in many ways is wonderful – anyone involved gets to do a bit of everything! But it’s really made me realise that when I first started submitting writing to publishers, I had absolutely no idea of the process that goes on once your writing has hit the submissions inbox. Surely they just…read it? And then publish it?

Well, yes…sort of. But it’s a bit more complicated than that.

So, before you do any of this, go and read 5 Questions to Ask Before Submitting a Short Story. It applies to novels, too!

Stage 1: Submission
1. Read the subs guidelines! I know they’re annoying and it’s a pain to have to format (I submit too, so I have a lot of sympathy for the never-ending task of re-formatting things) but it really does make reading easier.
2. And on the same note, please send the amount asked. If the guidelines say 10,000 words, a little under or over is fine…but don’t send your entire manuscript.
3. Having a synopsis is nice; it gives us some idea of how the story unfolds. We often won’t have time to read the entire thing, so the first 30 pages and a synopsis is excellent.
4. Tell us something about you; you don’t have to seem quirky, but just some insight into who you are is nice. However, your work will speak for itself, so if (like me) you’re fairly self-conscious when it comes to showing off, you won’t miss out by not giving a huge bio.
5. And lastly (again) – read the guidelines! You want to make the publisher’s job as easy as possible – and that means sending what they’ve asked for. Yes, it sucks when every single submission wants a different style and set of information, but them’s the breaks. Just do it.

Stage 2: Waiting. And waiting. And more waiting.
Read more

(1) (Reply)

The Blind Singer And The Big Sun (Episode 1) / A Poem For Criticism / My Friend's Man

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.