Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,239 members, 7,818,812 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:15 AM

Death Row Inmate's Chilling Last Words Before Injection Takes 12-minutes To Kill - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Death Row Inmate's Chilling Last Words Before Injection Takes 12-minutes To Kill (3606 Views)

Man's Car Burgled Within 12 Minutes Of Using An ATM In Abuja / 23 Nigerians On Death Row In Saudi Arabia (Full Names) / 99-Year-Old Prisoner On Death Row In Enugu Prison With His Son (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Death Row Inmate's Chilling Last Words Before Injection Takes 12-minutes To Kill by Proudlyomonna: 8:32am On Aug 13, 2023
A death row inmate convicted of killing a woman in 1995 uttered chilling last words before he was put to death in July. Jemaine Cannon was imprisoned for slaughtering 20-year-old mother Sharonda Clark.

After escaping form a prison work center in Oklahoma, Jemaine Cannon headed to Tulsa, where he stayed with 20-year-old Sharonda Clark.

The mother of two provided him shelter as he evaded authorities. He repaid her by violently slaughtering her.

Clark's body was found after a relative reported her missing when she failed to pick up her children from daycare. That was in 1995.

Now, 28 years later, Clark's family finally received some semblance of closure after the 51-year-old was put to death at an Oklahoma State Penitentiary in McAlester on July 20.

It took 12 minutes to kill him — but before he died, he was given the chance to say a few last words. What he uttered was chilling.

"Yes, I confess with my mouth and believe in my heart that God raised Jesus from the dead. Therefore, I am saved. Thank you," he said.

During a clemency hearing last month before the Oklahoma Pardon and Parole Board, he admitted to killing Clark but claimed it was self-defence. He told them: "I am deeply disheartened that the act of defending my life and the acts that she initiated against me ever happened. The ending of human life was never desired, planned or premeditated."

Sharonda Clark was killed in 1995
Sharonda Clark was killed by Jemaine Cannon in 1995
That board ultimately denied his appeal to stay the death penalty, as did the federal appeals court on July 19 — the day before he was killed.

During that hearing, he claimed, among several other things, that he wasn't subject to Oklahoma state laws because he was Native American.

His attorney, Mark Henricksen, told the panel at the clemency hearing that the state's decision to proceed with the execution — which is the ninth since lethal injections resumed in Oklahoma in 2021 after a six-year hiatus and the second in 2023 — was an act of "historic barbarism."

"Mr. Cannon has endured abuse and neglect for 50 years by those charged with his care," Henricksen said in a statement. "He sits in his cell a model prisoner. He is nearly deaf, blind and nearing death by natural causes."

"The decision to proceed with this particular execution is obscene," he concluded.

Clark's family sees it differently, however. Her now-adult daughters urged the state to kill him, with the eldest, Yeh-Sehn White, telling the Pardon and Parole Board last month that the convict had never expressed remorse in the decades of his imprisonment.

"Mercy was never given to my mother. Even today, he still points the blame at my mother for his actions," she told the board.

Mazurennae, Clark's other daughter, celebrated as soon as she found out Cannon's petition had been denied and that he would be killed. She said the decision provided "relief" to her family, her sister and her grandmother, who didn't live to see justice served.

Cannon has a history of violence, too. When he escaped the prison work center in southwest Oklahoma in 1995, he had been serving a 15-year sentence for brutally assaulting another woman with a claw hammer, iron and kitchen toaster, leaving her permanently injured. He also raped her.

After escaping and killing Clark, he fled to Flint, Michigan, to stay with his uncle until his mother urged him to turn himself in.

Cannon's lethal injection was administered at 10.01am on July 20, and it took 12 minutes to kill him.

It was administered on the same day Alabama was set to execute James Barber for beating to death a woman in 2001. Alabama paused its lethal injections in 2015 due to complications and mix-ups with the drugs used, and this would have been the first killing since then.

Mirror Online Aug 12, 2023 9:00Am.

Re: Death Row Inmate's Chilling Last Words Before Injection Takes 12-minutes To Kill by Puss360(f): 8:32am On Aug 13, 2023
Hmm

Long and short is dat.... May God never let our good gestures lead to our untimely death...

11 Likes

Re: Death Row Inmate's Chilling Last Words Before Injection Takes 12-minutes To Kill by Proudlyomonna: 8:35am On Aug 13, 2023
I believe in my heart and confess with the word of my mouth that Jesus Christ of Nazareth is God. Defeated death.
Rose up gloriously on the 3rd day.
Now lives forever to grant me the Zoe Life.

Happy Sunday to Children of the Living God.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Death Row Inmate's Chilling Last Words Before Injection Takes 12-minutes To Kill by b3llo(m): 8:36am On Aug 13, 2023
I use to think Americans don't kill their prisoners.
Re: Death Row Inmate's Chilling Last Words Before Injection Takes 12-minutes To Kill by helinues: 8:36am On Aug 13, 2023
Most people are familiar with Nike logo but most people don't know the motto of the logo.

Just do it

The words was coined by the first man to be sentenced to death in USA, when he was asked to say his last words, he simply said, just do it.

9 Likes

Re: Death Row Inmate's Chilling Last Words Before Injection Takes 12-minutes To Kill by Kingosytex(m): 8:46am On Aug 13, 2023
Nike...Just do it.
Wike... Just over do it cheesy

7 Likes

Re: Death Row Inmate's Chilling Last Words Before Injection Takes 12-minutes To Kill by illicit(m): 8:52am On Aug 13, 2023
Hell straight
Re: Death Row Inmate's Chilling Last Words Before Injection Takes 12-minutes To Kill by Coolbreeze1988(m): 9:10am On Aug 13, 2023
He accepted Christ before dying, hopefully he will be in heaven
Re: Death Row Inmate's Chilling Last Words Before Injection Takes 12-minutes To Kill by vastolord4(m): 9:26am On Aug 13, 2023
Seriously, if man was God, even if I was carried away with this wicked act of killing her, I wouldn't allow such enter heaven. I would make him rot while alive.. life you can't breathe unto another you took without any reason..

1 Like

Re: Death Row Inmate's Chilling Last Words Before Injection Takes 12-minutes To Kill by Maynman: 1:01pm On Aug 13, 2023
helinues:
Most people are familiar with Nike logo but most people don't know the motto of the logo.

Just do it

The words was coined by the first man to be sentenced to death in USA, when he was asked to say his last words, he simply said, just do it.
He said, Let's do it'.
Re: Death Row Inmate's Chilling Last Words Before Injection Takes 12-minutes To Kill by finallybusy: 2:56pm On Aug 13, 2023
What’s chilling there? Mscheew.
Re: Death Row Inmate's Chilling Last Words Before Injection Takes 12-minutes To Kill by Miravik900(m): 3:48pm On Aug 13, 2023
illicit:
Hell straight

E go shock you

2 Likes

Re: Death Row Inmate's Chilling Last Words Before Injection Takes 12-minutes To Kill by Miravik900(m): 3:49pm On Aug 13, 2023
vastolord4:
Seriously, if man was God, even if I was carried away with this wicked act of killing her, I wouldn't allow such enter heaven. I would make him rot while alive.. life you can't breathe unto another you took without any reason..

Omo na heaven that guy go go ooo

1 Like

Re: Death Row Inmate's Chilling Last Words Before Injection Takes 12-minutes To Kill by emmy512: 4:04pm On Aug 13, 2023
helinues:

Just do it

He said let's do it not just do it
Re: Death Row Inmate's Chilling Last Words Before Injection Takes 12-minutes To Kill by Adanac(m): 4:25pm On Aug 13, 2023
Gate keeper of Hell, I salute you ooo

illicit:
Hell straight

1 Like

Re: Death Row Inmate's Chilling Last Words Before Injection Takes 12-minutes To Kill by Westerhoffe(m): 11:38pm On Aug 13, 2023
Mmm… mmm….
Re: Death Row Inmate's Chilling Last Words Before Injection Takes 12-minutes To Kill by judedwriter(m): 7:09pm On Aug 14, 2023
Hopefully he has gone to heaven....

But the woman he killed, where has she gone to? Heaven or hell?

(1) (Reply)

Naija Criminal Ring In NY / Notorious Dey Bam Cult Leader Shot Dead In Rivers State / Junkies "Rejoice" After Been Arrested By Police Anti-Cult Unit (pics/video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.