Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,925 members, 7,810,557 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 11:02 AM

65 Internet Acronyms And Slangs You Never Knew - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 65 Internet Acronyms And Slangs You Never Knew (28678 Views)

Top 10 Lagos Slangs You Must Know As A Resident / Words And Acronyms That Gained Popularity In Year 2020. / Nigeria: Street Slangs You Must Know When You Are In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

65 Internet Acronyms And Slangs You Never Knew by Iyaebube(f): 3:26pm On Aug 14, 2023
Conversational internet acronyms and slang
Most social media acronyms are less business-related and more casual and conversational. A lot of them have been around online for years, while others are a bit more recent. You’ll often find these acronyms used in public posts that your followers make or share, or in their comments on your posts.

It’s good to know what these social media abbreviations mean so you know what your audience is saying and provide them with a relevant response if needed. Some of these abbreviations are also used as hashtags, and you can take advantage of them for better visibility.

AFAIK – As far as I know
AMA – Ask me anything. Often used by celebrities, influencers, industry experts and regular social media users as an open invite for questions.

BRB – Be right back
BTAIM – Be that as it may
BTS – Behind the scenes. Use this social media acronym when you’re giving your followers a behind-the-scenes look at what your brand is doing.
BTW – By the way
DAE – Does anyone else…?
DYK – Did you know…?
ELI5 – Explain like I’m five. Often used in forums like Reddit when people are looking for the simplest explanation to more complex topics.
FBF – Flashback Friday. A theme in which people share old pictures or posts with their followers/
FBO – Facebook official. When you make a public announcement on Facebook about a live event such as a new relationship, a change of job, etc.
FF – Follow Friday. A trend that started out on Twitter and involves giving a shoutout to people that you think deserve more recognition and followers.
FOMO – Fear of missing out. This often spurs people’s desire to keep up with social media in general, and is also often tapped for marketing such as through limited deals, exclusive product reveals and other tactics.
FTFY – Fixed that for you
FTW – For the win
FYI – For your information
or GTG – Got to go
– Good game
GTR – Got to run
HBD – Happy birthday
HIFW – How I feel when…
HMB – Hit me back
HMU – Hit me up
HT or H/T – Hat tip. Used for acknowledging, appreciating or thanking other users.
HTH – Here to help or happy to help
ICYMI – In case you missed it. Typically used when sharing content that’s not too current.
IDC – I don’t care
IDK – I don’t know
IKR – I know, right?
ILY – I love you
IMHO – In my humble opinion
IMO – In my opinion
IRL – In real life
JK – Just kidding. Used for conveying a light-hearted tone.
LMAO – Laughing my a** off
LMK – Let me know
LMS – Like my status. Used for inviting people to engage with a post.
LOL – Laughing out loud
MCM – Man crush Monday. Chipotle put its own twist to this abbreviation to fit the product
MTFBWY – May the Force be with you. A “Star Wars” reference commonly used to give encouragement.
NBD – No big deal
NM – Not much
NSFW – Not safe for work
NVM – Never mind
OH – Used as context for quotes
OMW – On my way
OOTD – Outfit of the day
OP – Original poster
OTP – One true pairing. Commonly used in fandoms. Refers to two people or fictional characters that you consider the perfect pair/couple.
PPL – People
ROFL – Rolling on the floor laughing
ROFLMAO – Rolling on the floor laughing my a** off
SFW – Safe for work
SMH – Shaking my head. Used to express shock or disappointment
TBH – To be honest
TBBH – To be brutally honest
TBT – Throwback Thursday. Like FBF, this involves sharing old photos or posts.
TFW – That feeling when… Used for sharing a relatable experience.
TGIF – Thank God it’s Friday
TIL – Today I learned…
TL;DR – Too long; didn’t read. Here’s an example of Slack using this acronym along with some of the other ones we’ve mentioned earlier. This may look like overkill but in the case of Slack, it fits the brand personality and shows an attempt to get the message across clearly with a bit of humor:
TMI – Too much information
WBU – What about you?
WBW – Way back Wednesday. Follows the same theme as FBF and TBT
WFH – Work from home
YOLO – You only live once

53 Likes 24 Shares

Re: 65 Internet Acronyms And Slangs You Never Knew by Iyaebube(f): 3:28pm On Aug 14, 2023
Feel free to add yours😁
Re: 65 Internet Acronyms And Slangs You Never Knew by wittywriter: 4:09pm On Aug 14, 2023
How come you failed or forgot to add the most oldest >>> ASAP<<<
Iyaebube:
Most social media acronyms are less business-related and more casual and conversational. A lot of them have been around online for years, while others are a bit more recent. You’ll often find these acronyms used in public posts that your followers make or share, or in their comments on your posts.

It’s good to know what these social media abbreviations mean so you know what your audience is saying and provide them with a relevant response if needed. Some of these abbreviations are also used as hashtags, and you can take advantage of them for better visibility.

AFAIK – As far as I know
AMA – Ask me anything. Often used by celebrities, influencers, industry experts and regular social media users as an open invite for questions.

BRB – Be right back
BTS – Behind the scenes. Use this social media acronym when you’re giving your followers a behind-the-scenes look at what your brand is doing.
BTW – By the way
DAE – Does anyone else…?
DYK – Did you know…?
ELI5 – Explain like I’m five. Often used in forums like Reddit when people are looking for the simplest explanation to more complex topics.
FBF – Flashback Friday. A theme in which people share old pictures or posts with their followers/
FBO – Facebook official. When you make a public announcement on Facebook about a live event such as a new relationship, a change of job, etc.
FF – Follow Friday. A trend that started out on Twitter and involves giving a shoutout to people that you think deserve more recognition and followers.
FOMO – Fear of missing out. This often spurs people’s desire to keep up with social media in general, and is also often tapped for marketing such as through limited deals, exclusive product reveals and other tactics.
FTW – For the win
or GTG – Got to go
– Good game
GTR – Got to run
HBD – Happy birthday
HIFW – How I feel when…
HMB – Hit me back
HMU – Hit me up
HT or H/T – Hat tip. Used for acknowledging, appreciating or thanking other users.
ICYMI – In case you missed it. Typically used when sharing content that’s not too current.
IDC – I don’t care
IDK – I don’t know
IKR – I know, right?
ILY – I love you
IMO – In my opinion
IRL – In real life
LMK – Let me know
LOL – Laughing out loud
MCM – Man crush Monday. Chipotle put its own twist to this abbreviation to fit the product
MTFBWY – May the Force be with you. A “Star Wars” reference commonly used to give encouragement.
NBD – No big deal
NM – Not much
NSFW – Not safe for work
NVM – Never mind
OMW – On my way
OOTD – Outfit of the day
OP – Original poster
OTP – One true pairing. Commonly used in fandoms. Refers to two people or fictional characters that you consider the perfect pair/couple.
PPL – People
SFW – Safe for work
TBH – To be honest
TIL – Today I learned…
TL;DR – Too long; didn’t read. Here’s an example of Slack using this acronym along with some of the other ones we’ve mentioned earlier. This may look like overkill but in the case of Slack, it fits the brand personality and shows an attempt to get the message across clearly with a bit of humor:
WBU – What about you?
WFH – Work from home

@ Nlfpmod

Wittyness

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 65 Internet Acronyms And Slangs You Never Knew by judatech: 4:12pm On Aug 14, 2023
IDH- I Dey Hungry 🤕

32 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 65 Internet Acronyms And Slangs You Never Knew by Mirrorseed: 5:21pm On Aug 14, 2023
I bookmarked this page

Informative post 👍🏽

10 Likes

Re: 65 Internet Acronyms And Slangs You Never Knew by yarimo(m): 6:59pm On Aug 14, 2023
Oyo - own you own

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: 65 Internet Acronyms And Slangs You Never Knew by efembaba(m): 9:01pm On Aug 14, 2023
gfbas - groceries, floating berries and sweetners e.g. na gfbas I dey chop like this so

idss- I don see shege

spm- shege pro max

sps - sheges per seconds

49 Likes 6 Shares

Re: 65 Internet Acronyms And Slangs You Never Knew by blueghost(m): 10:21pm On Aug 14, 2023
Gen Z Language
if i am chatting with you and you use those on me i will not take you serious

49 Likes 6 Shares

Re: 65 Internet Acronyms And Slangs You Never Knew by PlayerMeji: 11:24pm On Aug 14, 2023
What of OMD...?

Owo Mi Dáa ..?

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 65 Internet Acronyms And Slangs You Never Knew by laborious(m): 12:34am On Aug 15, 2023
ENKR "E NI KU RE"

11 Likes

Re: 65 Internet Acronyms And Slangs You Never Knew by Kenmatt(m): 6:13am On Aug 15, 2023
Iyaebube:

AFAIK – As far as I know

BRB – Be right back
BTW – By the way
DAE – Does anyone else…?
DYK – Did you know…?
FTW – For the win
or GTG – Got to go
– Good game
GTR – Got to run
HBD – Happy birthday
HIFW – How I feel when…
HMB – Hit me back
HMU – Hit me up
IDC – I don’t care
IDK – I don’t know
IKR – I know, right?
ILY – I love you
IMO – In my opinion
IRL – In real life
LMK – Let me know
LOL – Laughing out loud
NBD – No big deal
NM – Not much
NSFW – Not safe for work
NVM – Never mind
OMW – On my way
OOTD – Outfit of the day
OP – Original poster
PPL – People
SFW – Safe for work
TBH – To be honest
TIL – Today I learned…
WBU – What about you?
WFH – Work from home

@ Nlfpmod

Which one is CIAO or CAIO I don't even know the order it is written that most girls place on their forehead on social media pictures.

4 Likes

Re: 65 Internet Acronyms And Slangs You Never Knew by Gbolahan111: 7:24am On Aug 15, 2023
You forgot to include:
OMG…. Oh my God
Is SMH not Somehow?

3 Likes

Re: 65 Internet Acronyms And Slangs You Never Knew by chybuzky(m): 7:42am On Aug 15, 2023
I think say OTP na One Time Password grin grin

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: 65 Internet Acronyms And Slangs You Never Knew by KingMack(m): 8:29am On Aug 15, 2023
nice one..we learn errday✌️
Re: 65 Internet Acronyms And Slangs You Never Knew by Iyaebube(f): 8:56am On Aug 15, 2023
Gbolahan111:
You forgot to include:
OMG…. Oh my God
Is SMH not Somehow?

SMH : shaking my head not SOMEHOW

9 Likes

Re: 65 Internet Acronyms And Slangs You Never Knew by Kaido: 9:03am On Aug 15, 2023
I don't bother reading chats or opinions of people that use these internet acronyms.

22 Likes

Re: 65 Internet Acronyms And Slangs You Never Knew by Iyaebube(f): 9:04am On Aug 15, 2023
Kenmatt:

Which one is CIAO or CAIO I don't even know the order it is written that most girls place on their forehead on social media pictures.

CIAO is pronounced as Chow.is a casual Italian salutation that can mean both Hello and goodbye. Most English speakers understands it as well

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 65 Internet Acronyms And Slangs You Never Knew by 9182736455O1999(m): 9:18am On Aug 15, 2023
I already knew 33 there.
Re: 65 Internet Acronyms And Slangs You Never Knew by FutureRecord: 10:15am On Aug 15, 2023
Iyaebube:

AFAIK – As far as I know

BRB – Be right back
BTW – By the way
DAE – Does anyone else…?
DYK – Did you know…?
FTW – For the win
or GTG – Got to go
– Good game
GTR – Got to run
HBD – Happy birthday
HIFW – How I feel when…
HMB – Hit me back
HMU – Hit me up
IDC – I don’t care
IDK – I don’t know
IKR – I know, right?
ILY – I love you
IMO – In my opinion
IRL – In real life
LMK – Let me know
LOL – Laughing out loud
NBD – No big deal
NM – Not much
NSFW – Not safe for work
NVM – Never mind
OMW – On my way
OOTD – Outfit of the day
OP – Original poster
PPL – People
SFW – Safe for work
TBH – To be honest
TIL – Today I learned…
WBU – What about you?
WFH – Work from home

@ Nlfpmod
Re: 65 Internet Acronyms And Slangs You Never Knew by wiseone28: 12:25pm On Aug 15, 2023
I knew all already

Except 69 and MILF

1 Like

Re: 65 Internet Acronyms And Slangs You Never Knew by Stawner16(m): 2:54pm On Aug 15, 2023
G2.g : Got to go.
FYM: Fućk you mean?
DTF: Down to f*ck.
TDB: Till daybreak.

Iyaebube:

CIAO is pronounced as Chow.is a casual Italian salutation that can mean both Hello and goodbye. Most English speakers understands it as well

There was this canned tomato paste that was called Ciao back in the days before Gino and the other new cats arrived cheesy

4 Likes

Re: 65 Internet Acronyms And Slangs You Never Knew by BALLOSKI: 2:46am On Aug 16, 2023
Mirrorseed:
I bookmarked this page

Informative post 👍🏽

That's why Seun should have a bookmark button under every post or replace the useless "share" button with a "bookmark" button, but he doesn't evolve easily. He's always comfortable with old thing.

18 Likes

Re: 65 Internet Acronyms And Slangs You Never Knew by Giftedhand47(m): 6:44pm On Oct 25, 2023
I fix faulty iphone panels from 6 up till 14promax... Dont condemn that panel ill fix it for you... Call or text me on WhatsApp via siggy below

Location is ikeja
Re: 65 Internet Acronyms And Slangs You Never Knew by Adonisteve: 6:45pm On Oct 25, 2023
cool
What about 'SIU' by Ronaldo? grin
Re: 65 Internet Acronyms And Slangs You Never Knew by DSC7: 6:45pm On Oct 25, 2023
Here to learn and make more money....

Re: 65 Internet Acronyms And Slangs You Never Knew by tiswell(m): 6:45pm On Oct 25, 2023
lipsrsealed
Re: 65 Internet Acronyms And Slangs You Never Knew by ShugaSneh: 6:46pm On Oct 25, 2023
TSP ..... Tinubu she pro max
Re: 65 Internet Acronyms And Slangs You Never Knew by kereman1: 6:47pm On Oct 25, 2023
Op, y didn't I see POV?

3 Likes

Re: 65 Internet Acronyms And Slangs You Never Knew by SoftP(m): 6:47pm On Oct 25, 2023
Men Mount!
MM
Re: 65 Internet Acronyms And Slangs You Never Knew by inoki247: 6:48pm On Oct 25, 2023
Lol

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Secondary School Students Sing Naira Marley's "Opotoyi" During Assembly / Outrage As Teacher Attacks Little Girl In Class, Hits Her On The Head / Do you Remember Or Used This?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.