Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,563 members, 7,827,105 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 07:16 AM

Chinua Achebe Tops The List Of 40 Most Powerful Celebrities In Africa - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Chinua Achebe Tops The List Of 40 Most Powerful Celebrities In Africa (9867 Views)

poem: nna anyi,is it true, Tribute To Chinua Achebe By Dike Chukwumerije (video) / Chinua Achebe Publishes Biafran Memoir / Best African Author: Wole Soyinka or Chinua Achebe? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chinua Achebe Tops The List Of 40 Most Powerful Celebrities In Africa by Nobody: 11:22pm On Oct 13, 2011
The concluding part of the list.

20. Koffi Olomidé, 55, Congolese, Musician
21. Neill Blomkamp, 32, South African, Movie Director
22. Souad Massi, 39, Algerian, Musician
23. Baaba Maal, 58, Senegalese, Musician
24. Hugh Masekela, 72, South African, Musician
25. K'Naan, 33, Somali, Rapper
26. Amadou and Mariam, Malian, Musicians
27. Awilo Longomba, Congolese, Musician
28. Eric Wainaina, 38, Kenyan, Musician
29. Binyavanga Wainaina, 40, Kenyan, Author
30. Ngugi Wa Thiongo, 73, Kenyan, Author
31. Freshlyground, South African, Musicians
32. Chimamanda Adichie, 34, Nigerian, Writer
33. Rokia Traoré, 37, Malian, Musician
34. Tuface Idibia, 36, Nigerian, Musician
35. P-Square, 29, Nigerian, Musicians
36. Don Jazzy, 30, Nigerian, Music Producer
37. D'Banj, 31, Nigerian, Musician
38. Neka, 31, Nigerian, Musician
39. Asa, 29, Nigerian, Musician
40. Patricia Amira, 33, Kenyan, TV Personality
Re: Chinua Achebe Tops The List Of 40 Most Powerful Celebrities In Africa by dayokanu(m): 11:55pm On Oct 13, 2011
jbaur24:

Achebe is the Africas greatest living legend, soyenka is not anywhere near Achebe. Achebe's book is standard curricular in Nigerias and African schools. Achebe's Things Fall Apart has been translated in over 70 languages of the world and has sold over 7 million copies. Achebe does not need Noble Prize,[size=28pt] its the Noble Prize that needs Achebe to legitimize itself[/size]. Am sure Noble Committee will be regretting ever giving a prize to soyenka because they must have realized he was never qualified to receive the honor have seen Achebe's soaring profile around the world.

Has Achebe won the Nobel prize? Simple Yes or No
Re: Chinua Achebe Tops The List Of 40 Most Powerful Celebrities In Africa by Nobody: 12:14am On Oct 14, 2011
jbaur24:

Achebe is the Africas greatest living legend, soyenka is not anywhere near Achebe. Achebe's book is standard curricular in Nigerias and African schools. Achebe's Things Fall Apart has been translated in over 70 languages of the world and has sold over 7 million copies. Achebe does not need Noble Prize, its the Noble Prize that needs Achebe to legitimize itself. Am sure Noble Committee will be regretting ever giving a prize to soyenka because they must have realized he was never qualified to receive the honor have seen Achebe's soaring profile around the world.
Another nitwit! What makes you think Wole soyinka is not anywhere near Achebe? If you are a good critic you won't say that. I still think Wole Soyinka is a better writer than Achebe. I hate the title of "Things Fall Apart" culled from Yate Butler's  Second Coming " - Things fall apart and the center will not hold, ". Wole Soyinka is a prolific writer with African imposing rich  background, he explores the traditions and culture of the Yoruba people in his dramas and other works. Soyinka is an author beyond mere writing, he is  a dramatist ,great playwriter and of course an activist. Please, get your fact straight. Wole soyinka is my mentor!
Re: Chinua Achebe Tops The List Of 40 Most Powerful Celebrities In Africa by Kmaster2010(m): 12:56am On Oct 14, 2011
Hmmm, i think 2face deserves to be on that list
Re: Chinua Achebe Tops The List Of 40 Most Powerful Celebrities In Africa by NRIPRIEST(m): 2:35am On Oct 14, 2011
Achebe the Iroko hold a very intimidating presence in the plant EARTH! His is adored everywhere he goes and he dont stain himself with naija politics.
I dont wanna get into any comparisons.
Ndi Igbo sili na eji anya ama oka chalu acha.
Re: Chinua Achebe Tops The List Of 40 Most Powerful Celebrities In Africa by OgidiBoy(m): 2:49am On Oct 14, 2011
It's so sad I can't even celebrate my fellow town's man making it to the top of 40 most powerful celebrities in Africa without some people

turning the thread into another Igbo/Yoruba senseless fight. sad
Re: Chinua Achebe Tops The List Of 40 Most Powerful Celebrities In Africa by Afam4eva(m): 5:55am On Oct 14, 2011
Why can't we celebrate fellow Nigerians instead of turning this into a tribal affair. Soyinka is a good writer, but Achebe is more than just a good writter. He's the face of African leterature. So, him being on the first spot is not mistaken.

Btw, where's Chimamanda and Genevieve on that list.
Re: Chinua Achebe Tops The List Of 40 Most Powerful Celebrities In Africa by Nobody: 6:01am On Oct 14, 2011
afam4eva:

Why can't we celebrate fellow Nigerians instead of turning this into a tribal affair. Soyinka is a good writer, but Achebe is more than just a good writter. [/b]He's the face of African [b]leterature. So, him being on the first spot is not mistaken.

Btw, where's Chimamanda and Genevieve on that list.
Since when?

Atleast Soyinka went beyond the "literature" periphery (even tho he failed woefully LOL).

Things have indeed fallen apart.

We're still looking for Africa's face of literature.  Chichimananda (or whatever he name is) can set the pace.
Re: Chinua Achebe Tops The List Of 40 Most Powerful Celebrities In Africa by Nobody: 6:39am On Oct 14, 2011
You all are pathetic, crazy, stooopid and foolish. Must everything turn to a tribal war? why can't you grow azzed eeediots just be happy for eachother?

Yorubas are busy putting Achebe down, the Igbos are busy doing same to Soyinka.

This is why our country would never move forward. Shame on all of you "supposedly" exposed people.

Just imagine a lot of these people arguing like their lives depended in it, all live outside Nigeria.

Please go back home and let other people with brain replace yous.

Nansense

@Topic

Where is Mandela, chimamanda even Omotola?
Re: Chinua Achebe Tops The List Of 40 Most Powerful Celebrities In Africa by fmgold: 7:06am On Oct 14, 2011
Did anyone confirm this from the forbes site cos I saw nothing like dat there,no way chinua achebe is more influential than noble price winner Wole Soyinka. Recently he brokered peace between the militants and the federal government. He is a known activist both locally and internationally. I checked the forbes site and ders nothin about this thread there.
Re: Chinua Achebe Tops The List Of 40 Most Powerful Celebrities In Africa by sheyguy: 7:56am On Oct 14, 2011
For those of u complaining of didier drogba and supporting samuel eto , drogba was involved in peace process in cote'DV sometin eto has no answer for. Besides the list is about those who have demonstated their power and not those who have the potential to.
Re: Chinua Achebe Tops The List Of 40 Most Powerful Celebrities In Africa by jamp: 8:08am On Oct 14, 2011
Good one for Nigeria as a nation.

I LOVE THIS COUNTRY.

NAIJA WOLE
Re: Chinua Achebe Tops The List Of 40 Most Powerful Celebrities In Africa by manchy7531: 8:44am On Oct 14, 2011
Chinua Achebe, Genevieve Nnaji, Chimamanda Adichie, P-square, Don jazzy, Nneka(3 igbo kings with 3 queens), Total=6

WOLE SOYINKA, FEMI KUTI, ASA, D'BANJ(3 yoruba kings with one queen), Total=4

2Face idibia(1 idoma king)

This is a living proof to the fact that this two ethnic groups are the bedrock on which nigeria stands,with the igbos always taking the lead in every aspect of life (legal and illegal)(sports,entertainment,business,academics,research,technology,drugs,fraud,scam,entrepreneurship,music,production,hustle,courage,struggle and self determination, name it) , followed by our jealous cousins the Yorubas.

Igbos we too much, na we dey hold najia na why them no want make we live them.   Nigeria be lyk gal way no wan mak e boi frnd dump am cos she no say if e go for her life she no go fit get another man way be lyk am, lol
Re: Chinua Achebe Tops The List Of 40 Most Powerful Celebrities In Africa by manchy7531: 9:11am On Oct 14, 2011
@dayokanu       

The Nobel price is just a political tool and it was given to Soyinka in the military era because of his activism. By the way he does not need the Nobel prize to be a legend neither is he seeking anybody's attention. His handwork speaks for him

can u imagine a book that has been translated into over 50 languages, is that not incredible enough for an african?

Please if his achievement is vexing you, go and drown yourself in River Niger,

AS for Chimamanda Adichie, watch out for her cos, she is another legend in the making. I rest my case
Re: Chinua Achebe Tops The List Of 40 Most Powerful Celebrities In Africa by Ucheosefoh(m): 9:30am On Oct 14, 2011
Na so it be Igbo people no dey carry last na first we dey carry we lead others follow
Re: Chinua Achebe Tops The List Of 40 Most Powerful Celebrities In Africa by Afam4eva(m): 9:44am On Oct 14, 2011
It's worrisome to note that all the Nigerians on that list are either Igbo or Yoruba except for 2face who's Idoma(that's somewhat affiliated to Igbo). How come other ethnicities are not giving the Igbos and Yorubas a run for their money or does the system not allow this?
Re: Chinua Achebe Tops The List Of 40 Most Powerful Celebrities In Africa by Nayah(f): 10:50am On Oct 14, 2011
The most important is being influent to change things in Africa, as poverty, health innovations, research and other things which could help our continent at least to emerge, else this list is a useless sorry to say that

As for Drogba and Eto'o the brother who sais Drogba is involve in politics I disagree, ivorians are blaming him not be that involved especially for denoucing what's happening in Western part of the country, from where he belongs to,as for Eto"o he settle a lot of helping children centres, participating in scholarship for those who want to follow studies, and helps villages having better health system that's what I call being influent
Re: Chinua Achebe Tops The List Of 40 Most Powerful Celebrities In Africa by duke4ever: 10:54am On Oct 14, 2011
all4naija:

Another nitwit! What makes you think Wole soyinka is not anywhere near Achebe? If you are a good critic you won't say that. I still think Wole Soyinka is a better writer than Achebe. I hate the title of "Things Fall Apart" culled from Yate Butler's  Second Coming " - Things fall apart and the center will not hold, ". Wole Soyinka is a prolific writer with African imposing rich  background, he explores the traditions and culture of the Yoruba people in his dramas and other works. Soyinka is an author beyond mere writing, he is  a dramatist ,great playwriter and of course an activist. Please, get your fact straight. Wole soyinka is my mentor!
you dolt, so u hate the title Things fall Apart cos it's coming from the person of Achebe, right?
Have u read Sophocles 'Antigone' before? U better do. Am sure u will conclude that Soyinka is a copicat. The Greek Dramatist Sophocles was the first 2 write about a character who will kill his father and marry his mother being a cause place on the child by the gods.
Soyinka only change the settting 2 yoruba and nothin more. I have critiqued both drama text. So get ur facts right before u start spewin rubish about a creative prose piece of Achebe who did not even adopt the title of Yeath's poem, but made a line in the poem a copyright. Nothing compares 2 Achebe now. Like it or hate it.
Re: Chinua Achebe Tops The List Of 40 Most Powerful Celebrities In Africa by Ohaneze1: 11:13am On Oct 14, 2011
duke4ever:

you dolt, so u hate the title Things fall Apart cos it's coming from the person of Achebe, right?
Have u read Sophocles 'Antigone' before? U better do. Am sure u will conclude that Soyinka is a copicat. The Greek Dramatist Sophocles was the first 2 write about a character who will kill his father and marry his mother being a cause place on the child by the gods.
Soyinka only change the settting 2 yoruba and nothin more. I have critiqued both drama text. So get your facts right before u start spewin rubish about a creative prose piece of Achebe who did not even adopt the title of Yeath's poem, but made a line in the poem a copyright. Nothing compares 2 Achebe now. Like it or hate it.

My brother leave that marauder. Achebe remains the greatest giant as far as Africa is concerned. Soyenka got Noble Prize out of mis-selection by the Noble committee, like as I said before they must be bitter by now because they have since realised that soyenka was and is just a tool in the hands of the politicians and a booth-licker.
Re: Chinua Achebe Tops The List Of 40 Most Powerful Celebrities In Africa by Ohaneze1: 11:19am On Oct 14, 2011
dayokanu:

Forbes has more integrity than the Noble committee of Austria who are more political if you don't know. Achebe was rated No.1 in Africa because they have realized that Soyenka is not even good to be compared to Chimamander not to talk of the great Chinua Achebe
Re: Chinua Achebe Tops The List Of 40 Most Powerful Celebrities In Africa by Ohaneze1: 11:19am On Oct 14, 2011
Re: Chinua Achebe Tops The List Of 40 Most Powerful Celebrities In Africa by MMM2(m): 11:21am On Oct 14, 2011
i did see flavor's name in dat list angry
Re: Chinua Achebe Tops The List Of 40 Most Powerful Celebrities In Africa by Michjoe: 12:32pm On Oct 14, 2011
nice one we got here, grin lipsrsealed u did the research wella b4 posting cheesy cheesy
Re: Chinua Achebe Tops The List Of 40 Most Powerful Celebrities In Africa by Parnassuss(m): 12:34pm On Oct 14, 2011
Personally I would make some changes

I would remove Femi and replace him with Fela (his father)
Roger Milla (Cameroonian Football legend)
Kofi Annan (Fr Gen Sec to the UN)
Frankie Federick (Namibian Sprinter and Olympic medallist)
Charlize Theron (South African and Oscar winning Actress)
Francios Pinaar (South African Rugby captain that won the world cup)
Dikembe Matumbo (Former NBA star)
George Weah (Liberian and former world footballer of the year)
Iman Bowie (Ethiopian Super model
) by baby boy.

I totally agree on Weah, Kofi, Iman and Pinaar. Charlize Theron is as South African as Nas is Yoruba. I don't care how much they shout they are Africans, they are African-Americans. I would add also, Pieters DeVilliers (Spring Bokke's former coach).

Ohaneze1:

Forbes has more integrity than the Noble committee of Austria who are more political if you don't know. Achebe was rated No.1 in Africa because they have realized that Soyenka is not even good to be compared to Chimamander not to talk of the great Chinua Achebe

Erm, I'm Igbo, I studied Literature in English and I can boast of a moderate understanding of world politics yet stil I think Achebe is a great novelist, among my ALL-TIME top three, but Soyinka is a fantastic poet, playwright and novelist. Achebe also has poetry but no where as good as Soyinka's. I think Soyinka won the nobel cos he had such an arsenal, I mean Achebe's writing is legendary but it broke no frontiers, compared to like Gabriel Gircia Marquez who introduced magic realism as a style.
And PLEASE don't you dare call up that overblown Adichie when talking about classic writers, she is just a toast of the western media, even her contemporary Helon Habila, outclasses her by far. Compare her to that conundrum Diane Evans!
Re: Chinua Achebe Tops The List Of 40 Most Powerful Celebrities In Africa by Ohaneze1: 12:53pm On Oct 14, 2011
You are just an Igbo wannabe. You just wrote trash which is only good for my soak-pit. All local and International records including the world revered Forbes has consistently put Achebe as the number 1 (one) in the literary world or whichever term you like. Soyenka is not Achebe's rival despite he won noble prize, Achebe is world renowned and he has contributed immensely to academic world more than Soyenka can ever dream of. Chinua Achebe remains on top ahead of Soyenka and other African writers. As for Chimamanda don't even dare, she is the youngest legend and star coming up in Africa. Infact at the present no writer of her comtempory in Nigeria can rival her works so far. She is a reserved giant of the future who will eventually step into Achebe shoes in the world arena

Parnassuss:

Personally I would make some changes

I would remove Femi and replace him with Fela (his father)
Roger Milla (Cameroonian Football legend)
Kofi Annan (Fr Gen Sec to the UN)
Frankie Federick (Namibian Sprinter and Olympic medallist)
Charlize Theron (South African and Oscar winning Actress)
Francios Pinaar (South African Rugby captain that won the world cup)
Dikembe Matumbo (Former NBA star)
George Weah (Liberian and former world footballer of the year)
Iman Bowie (Ethiopian Super model
) by baby boy.

I totally agree on Weah, Kofi, Iman and Pinaar. Charlize Theron is as South African as Nas is Yoruba. I don't care how much they shout they are Africans, they are African-Americans. I would add also, Pieters DeVilliers (Spring Bokke's former coach).

Erm, I'm Igbo, I studied Literature in English and I can boast of a moderate understanding of world politics yet stil I think Achebe is a great novelist, among my ALL-TIME top three, but Soyinka is a fantastic poet, playwright and novelist. Achebe also has poetry but no where as good as Soyinka's. I think Soyinka won the nobel cos he had such an arsenal, I mean Achebe's writing is legendary but it broke no frontiers, compared to like Gabriel Gircia Marquez who introduced magic realism as a style.
And PLEASE don't you dare call up that overblown Adichie when talking about classic writers, she is just a toast of the western media, even her contemporary Helon Habila, outclasses her by far. Compare her to that conundrum Diane Evans!
Re: Chinua Achebe Tops The List Of 40 Most Powerful Celebrities In Africa by Nayah(f): 1:02pm On Oct 14, 2011
Eh my dear brothers what the hell these Igbo things has to do with the thread??
Re: Chinua Achebe Tops The List Of 40 Most Powerful Celebrities In Africa by Ohaneze1: 1:06pm On Oct 14, 2011
^

Help us ask that mofo.
Re: Chinua Achebe Tops The List Of 40 Most Powerful Celebrities In Africa by onila(f): 1:09pm On Oct 14, 2011
Drogba built a 10 million dollar hospital in his country
Re: Chinua Achebe Tops The List Of 40 Most Powerful Celebrities In Africa by Parnassuss(m): 1:12pm On Oct 14, 2011
Ohaneze1:

You are just an Igbo wannabe. You just wrote trash which is only good for my soak-pit. All local and International records including the world revered Forbes has consistently put Achebe as the number 1 (one) in the literary world or whichever term you like. Soyenka is not Achebe's rival despite he won noble prize, Achebe is world renowned and he has contributed immensely to academic world more than Soyenka can ever dream of. Chinua Achebe remains on top ahead of Soyenka and other African writers. As for Chimamanda don't even dare, she is the youngest legend and star coming up in Africa. Infact at the present no writer of her comtempory in Nigeria can rival her works so far. She is a reserved giant of the future who will eventually step into Achebe shoes in the world arena

lol, Igbo wannabe. The truth is Achebe and Soyinka have gone to great lengths to put Nigeria on the world map, and in particular Soyinka has done muc to put Nigeria on the right track. They are both winners in my book. As far as popularity goes, Mode 9 remains my most influential. Screw Forbes! Screw Tribe!
Re: Chinua Achebe Tops The List Of 40 Most Powerful Celebrities In Africa by Nayah(f): 1:15pm On Oct 14, 2011
Onila, many Ivoirians will tell you Drogba is blamed out there because they said he's a bit picky
Re: Chinua Achebe Tops The List Of 40 Most Powerful Celebrities In Africa by manchy7531: 1:17pm On Oct 14, 2011
if Drogba and Samuel Eto'o are been taken because of what they have done for their respective countries then i think Nwankwo kanu, deserves to be on the list, cos he is an African football legend
Re: Chinua Achebe Tops The List Of 40 Most Powerful Celebrities In Africa by onila(f): 1:18pm On Oct 14, 2011
so many nigerians on the list… so impressive

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nmeri's literary junkyard / My Incredible Night With Bunmi (A Short Romantic Story) / The Official Literature/Writing Section Poster Of The Year Award 2012

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.