Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,750 members, 7,817,080 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:47 AM

Chinua Achebe Tops The List Of 40 Most Powerful Celebrities In Africa - Literature (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Chinua Achebe Tops The List Of 40 Most Powerful Celebrities In Africa (9860 Views)

poem: nna anyi,is it true, Tribute To Chinua Achebe By Dike Chukwumerije (video) / Chinua Achebe Publishes Biafran Memoir / Best African Author: Wole Soyinka or Chinua Achebe? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chinua Achebe Tops The List Of 40 Most Powerful Celebrities In Africa by Nayah(f): 1:26pm On Oct 14, 2011
manchy7531:

if Drogba and Samuel Eto'o are been taken because of what they have done for their respective countries then i think Nwankwo kanu, deserves to be on the list, cos he is an African football legend

I agree
Re: Chinua Achebe Tops The List Of 40 Most Powerful Celebrities In Africa by onila(f): 1:44pm On Oct 14, 2011
its only few celebrtities in Africa that are involed in politics because of how complicated politics can be. Even though he was kind of picky, you have to admit he tried.
Re: Chinua Achebe Tops The List Of 40 Most Powerful Celebrities In Africa by Gbenge77(m): 2:46pm On Oct 14, 2011
Fantastic.
Re: Chinua Achebe Tops The List Of 40 Most Powerful Celebrities In Africa by Gbenge77(m): 2:51pm On Oct 14, 2011
Fantastic.
Re: Chinua Achebe Tops The List Of 40 Most Powerful Celebrities In Africa by mellow(m): 3:03pm On Oct 14, 2011
These tribalistic Idiots can never discuss anything meaningfull without tribal sentiments. Instead of celebrating Nigerians who made the list, that is if the list is true, they are busy destroying their towns men in a world Forum. Shame on you!!!!!
Re: Chinua Achebe Tops The List Of 40 Most Powerful Celebrities In Africa by dayokanu(m): 3:16pm On Oct 14, 2011
Achebe would sacrifice anything to win one single Nobel prize.
Re: Chinua Achebe Tops The List Of 40 Most Powerful Celebrities In Africa by Nayah(f): 3:27pm On Oct 14, 2011
Dayokanu how are you? please why africans can not be happy for their brothers, is it so difficult to be united?
Re: Chinua Achebe Tops The List Of 40 Most Powerful Celebrities In Africa by Nobody: 4:32pm On Oct 14, 2011
I am not here on tribal charades or something. It's sad to see people coming in here to rubbish your mentor.

I for one has reviewed many works of Soyinka and Achebe. And, for the truthful part there is nothing representing as a person with a broad background of traditions and culture than in the works of Soyinka. There are quite many authors whose works are well translated and well sold all over the world but on the literary circles lack so much flavor to make them standout. If I must choose from a wide array of literary works of both authors, I would easily be more critical of Wole Soyinka for many things - consistency, evolving words, quotable quotes, creativity and just to mention a few. On the other hand Achebe is little hesitant of reality, aggressive, simplistic and author focusing only on writing and teaching(mainly as a profession).

However, I am not here to praise anybody but to lay claims to the fact that he's seen deemed not equal to Achebe by some few in this forum is juts unacceptable. Yorubas have a very rich cultural background and Wole Soyinka used that to his advantage. I have read a lot of critiques by renown  professors all over the world on African authors and, Soyinka is by far the best to have received more attentions. A famous critique once wrote that he can not keep reading endless meaning to the famous line by Wole Soyinka, " A tiger does not shout its tigritude," he declared, "it acts.".He also said if Wole has not written anything at all that line is enough to grant him respect improvise.

My views on the matter are clear enough, I am not here to put any tribe down nor uplift one author above another. I am here to contribute to what seem right, to encourage the upcoming authors in the like of Chimanmada,Uwem Akapn, Toyin Adewale,etc. I hope we can be more critical of their works rather than being tribalistic about what ethnicity they belong.

Thank you!
Re: Chinua Achebe Tops The List Of 40 Most Powerful Celebrities In Africa by SKYQUEST(m): 5:47pm On Oct 14, 2011
i guess Forbes was not just considering how wealthy the nominees are
Re: Chinua Achebe Tops The List Of 40 Most Powerful Celebrities In Africa by Ohaneze1: 8:54pm On Oct 14, 2011
all4naija:

I am not here on tribal charades or something. It's sad to see people coming in here to rubbish your mentor.

I for one has reviewed many works of Soyinka and Achebe. And, for the truthful part there is nothing representing as a person with a broad background of traditions and culture than in the works of Soyinka. There are quite many authors whose works are well translated and well sold all over the world but on the literary circles lack so much flavor to make them standout. If I must choose from a wide array of literary works of both authors, I would easily be more critical of Wole Soyinka for many things - consistency, evolving words, quotable quotes, creativity and just to mention a few. On the other hand Achebe is little hesitant of reality, aggressive, simplistic and author focusing only on writing and teaching(mainly as a profession).

However, I am not here to praise anybody but to lay claims to the fact that he's seen deemed not equal to Achebe by some few in this forum is juts unacceptable. Yorubas have a very rich cultural background and Wole Soyinka used that to his advantage. I have read a lot of critiques by renown  professors all over the world on African authors and, Soyinka is by far the best to have received more attentions. A famous critique once wrote that he can not keep reading endless meaning to the famous line by Wole Soyinka, " A tiger does not shout its tigritude," he declared, "it acts.".He also said if Wole has not written anything at all that line is enough to grant him respect improvise.

My views on the matter are clear enough, I am not here to put any tribe down nor uplift one author above another. I am here to contribute to what seem right, to encourage the upcoming authors in the like of Chimanmada,Uwem Akapn, Toyin Adewale,etc. I hope we can be more critical of their works rather than being tribalistic about what ethnicity they belong.

Thank you!

You can only address Yoruba monkeys in you baseless talk show. The question is, does Soyenka book worth reading compare to Achebe. Soyenka does not have any book that somebody can waste his or her time reading compare to Achebe's book which has been read all over the world and has sold for over 10million copies and has been translated in over 70 languages. How many Soyenka books has been translated in 2 languages. There is nothing that you will say that will justify Soyenka. Do you know that the Forbes called Chinua Achebe, the Father of African Literature. So by that standard Achebe is the best and brightest Africa has. Dalu
Re: Chinua Achebe Tops The List Of 40 Most Powerful Celebrities In Africa by babyboy3(m): 10:00pm On Oct 14, 2011

You can only address Yoruba monkeys in you baseless talk show. The question is, does Soyenka book worth reading compare to Achebe.

, Novelty Prize Award,

Soyinka, 1

Achebe, 0

Nuff Said
Re: Chinua Achebe Tops The List Of 40 Most Powerful Celebrities In Africa by Relax101(m): 11:16pm On Oct 14, 2011
dayokanu:

Achebe would sacrifice anything to win one single Nobel prize.

Na wa for you o. You 've been a tribalist for years now and have no real plan to drop it.

I thought you would have developed little sense after several years you have spent on NL? You are such a coward.

Kai, Olorunmaje.
Re: Chinua Achebe Tops The List Of 40 Most Powerful Celebrities In Africa by Nobody: 11:21pm On Oct 14, 2011
The reason he can't get Nobel Prize is that he is as arrogant as Léopold Sédar Senghor, keep praising what is not actually there!
Re: Chinua Achebe Tops The List Of 40 Most Powerful Celebrities In Africa by aloyemeka1: 12:51am On Oct 15, 2011
My people I ask again, on what basis can we compare Achebe and Soyinka?. The only thing common between the two great authors is their nationality. Comparing the works of Achebe with Soyinka is like comparing the music of Michael Jackson with that of Fela Kuti . While both Fela and Michael excelled in their music careers, there is no common ground for comparison because the difference in genre. Achebe's area of expertise in literature is totally different from Soyinka's area of expertise. I am sure many of you are aware of that but it is indeed more entertaining to do tribal bashing.
Re: Chinua Achebe Tops The List Of 40 Most Powerful Celebrities In Africa by Nobody: 1:06am On Oct 15, 2011
^^^^
Another clown! Look at your comparison closely it only speaks of a demented person.  Sorry, Achebe is not somebody I would admire for his works. Take it any day from me - I don't see anything appealing in Achebe's works. Nothing unusual, nothing creative and nothing different from any freelance writer works. Please, spare me your Michael Jackson/ Fela Kuti comparison.

The reason why Things Fall Apart is so popular is because of the title taken from Yates Butler's Second Coming( a long poem). The story line is almost alike!
Re: Chinua Achebe Tops The List Of 40 Most Powerful Celebrities In Africa by Ohaneze1: 7:29am On Oct 15, 2011
all4naija:

^^^^
Another clown! Look at your comparison closely it only speaks of a demented person.  Sorry, Achebe is not somebody I would admire for his works. Take it any day from me - I don't see anything appealing in Achebe's works. Nothing unusual, nothing creative and nothing different from any freelance writer works. Please, spare me your Michael Jackson/ Fela Kuti comparison.

The reason why Things Fall Apart is so popular is because of the title taken from Yates Butler's Second Coming( a long poem). The story line is almost alike!

You don't need to admire him, you monkey, but the whole world does. Who are you by the way if not an usual Yoruba dirty pig. Achebe's name rings bell all over the world because of his works. People in Nigeria rarely know who is Soyenka not to talk of the world. You wouldn't pass through Nigerian and African school and the world at large without passing through Achebe's works on literature. And where had you got the illusion that Yates Butler has the copyright on Things Fall Apart, then why didn't 50 Cent went straight to him Yates instead offering Achebe $1m to use the Title? You are talking from the both sides of the mouth without facts. FYI. Forbes of America has more integrity and credibility than Noble Committee of Austria, its not about the money. So Achebe remains the Father of Literature in Africa as confirmed by the Forbes
Re: Chinua Achebe Tops The List Of 40 Most Powerful Celebrities In Africa by babyboy3(m): 7:36am On Oct 15, 2011
You don't need to admire him, you monkey,

Cant you voice your opinion without calling people names or is it part of your make-up?

People in Nigeria rarely know who is Soyenka

cry cry cry I stopped reading after that point!!!
Re: Chinua Achebe Tops The List Of 40 Most Powerful Celebrities In Africa by Ohaneze1: 8:29am On Oct 15, 2011
^^

grin You are still talking, do you know that even the ordinary Drogba has risen and became more popular and influential that you owambe soyenka. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Chinua Achebe Tops The List Of 40 Most Powerful Celebrities In Africa by seanet02: 12:02pm On Oct 15, 2011
Achebe please when are you going to win the Nobel Prize?
Re: Chinua Achebe Tops The List Of 40 Most Powerful Celebrities In Africa by Nobody: 12:41pm On Oct 15, 2011
I think Chinua Achebe was nominated once and failed to win it. Sorry to see how those praising Achebe in the light of bringing another author(who is far better) down is really appalling. This unhealthy bashing by some arrogant Igbos is not helping anybody. I can't stop and wonder why these people think being arrogant is all  there is. Resorting to demeaning important Laureate like Wole Soyinka is indescribable to say the least yet, the worse is that it's coming from  foolhardy clowns, who have never read most of the author works they seemed to defend.

http://www.kwenu.com/publications/chiakwelu/achebe_nobel_cold_war.htm

For the link above, I can't imagine somebody with so much lackadaisical attempt to defend the author and hope the Nobel Prize Committee will award him the prize after his incomprehensible write-up.
Re: Chinua Achebe Tops The List Of 40 Most Powerful Celebrities In Africa by ElmA1(f): 5:10pm On Oct 25, 2011
Impressive smiley
Re: Chinua Achebe Tops The List Of 40 Most Powerful Celebrities In Africa by Shaw007(m): 7:24pm On May 21, 2012
jojo2011: Where is MANDELA? These is just somebody's imagination.A list without Mandela is total rubbish
yeah,exactly,but hey,he hasnt really been much 2 africe except his country

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

My Incredible Night With Bunmi (A Short Romantic Story) / Nemesis / Iron Sanctuary: Only I Level Up (V2)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.