Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,721 members, 7,816,971 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:36 PM

Lionel Messi Leads Inter Miami Into Their First EVER Final - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Lionel Messi Leads Inter Miami Into Their First EVER Final (33256 Views)

Messi Makes MLS History In Thrilling Inter Miami Win At Sold-out Gillette Stadia / Lionel Messi Is Heading To MLS, Decides To Join Inter Miami / David Beckham Dribbles Inter Miami Players In Five-A-Side Match (Photos, Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lionel Messi Leads Inter Miami Into Their First EVER Final by DenreleDave(m): 4:39am On Aug 16, 2023
- Inter Miami recorded another commanding win, this time vs Philadelphia Union

- Lionel Messi got his ninth goal in his sixth Miami game with a long range strike

Lionel Messi scored a stunning strike from 35 yards to lead Inter Miami into the Leagues Cup final with a 4-1 victory over Philadelphia Union.

Miami made a whirlwind start with Messi's strike partner Josef Martinez scoring in just the third minute, latching onto a long ball and rifling home into the far corner.

It was a dream start for Miami in one the toughest games, on paper, the team has faces since Messi arrived a month ago against last season's MLS runner-up.

This time, there was no David Beckham, a Miami co-owner, watching on in the stands in Philadelphia, nor was his wife Antonela in attendance for the road game. The Messis and the Beckhams were recently inadvertently caught up in an incident outside a Miami nightclub - a diner claimed security beat him because they thought he was trying to photograph the Miami star.

Messi and the Miami team were booed as they made their way out onto the field for Tuesday night's game. But it made no difference - the World Cup winner showed exactly why there is so much excitement around his presence here just 20 minutes into the game.

Messi's strike from long distance sent Miami into the final of the Leagues Cup this weekend

Picking up a ball that was flicked into his path by Martinez, Messi strolled forward and, recognizing he was about to be closed down, made the most of the space around him by unleashing a sumptuous left-footed strike from 35 yards.

The ball stayed low and swerved out of the reach of Union goalkeeper Andre Blake, nestling into the corner and leaving what had been a rowdy crowd at Subaru Park stunned into silence.

There was more to come before the halftime interval - Jordi Alba rounded off a fabulous sweeping move for his first goal in Miami colors, running through one-on-one and beating Blake with the composure of a striker like Messi or Martinez.

Union coach Jim Curtin clearly told his team not to respect the likes of Messi, Alba and Sergio Busquets at the halftime break. He also made two changes, bringing on Jack McGlynn and Mikael Uhre for Leon Flach and Damion Lowe.

Union attacked Miami and had some success. Drake Callendar made an outstanding save to deny Chris Donovan's header and Union then got one back in the 73rd minute through substitute Alejandro Bedoya.

It felt, at that time, that the momentum was with Union and with 15 minutes plus stoppage time left, a second goal could have made it nervy for Miami.

But instead, David Ruiz made the game safe for Miami with a smart low finish in the 84th minute to snuff out any fears of a Union comeback.

'We worked our way to the finals and we made it,' Messi said on Instagram after the game. 'We're still on the last step.'

Miami coach Tata Martino heaped praise on his star trio of Messi, Busquets and Alba after another commanding win.

'They (Messi, Busquets, & Alba) pass on this confidence to the younger players and (Messi) has this commitment to the game,' Martino said. 'He's working a lot, especially on recovery balls and this is infectious to his teammates.'

There are lessons to learn for Miami ahead of the final - a more ruthless team might have made the second half harder for them but when you've got Messi in your team, it only takes a second for the game to be taken away in Miami's favor.

Victory also takes Miami into next season's CONCACAF Cup, regardless of whether they win the final but now attention is locked firmly on the bid for silverware this weekend.

'Our team next year will play in an international tournament, which was our goal,' Martino added.

'That has us highly motivated and confident, but we are not allowing that to distract us from what we need as a team to get better. We don’t confuse our success so far with realizing we still have a long way to go.'

Beckham also posted about his pride on social media, writing on Instagram: 'Another amazing night in pink. What a moment for OUR team, OUR fans, OUR club. First final in our history, SO PROUD'.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-12411303/Lionel-Messi-leads-Inter-Miami-final-STUNNING-goal-4-1-Leagues-Cup-victory-against-Philadelphia-Union-4-1.html

44 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lionel Messi Leads Inter Miami Into Their First EVER Final by DenreleDave(m): 4:43am On Aug 16, 2023
My Name na Denrele David.................... Career people, business people and good people of Nairaland, Nigerians home & Abroad should put me in mind

While somebody in Walai Talai Summoni Rojim desert end of the world league is busying parading bend down select - Aba made cup

The greatest in the history of football is showing us what we need. Lionel Messi is the most complete player in the history of soccer.

Arab are even sad because they are forced to make Penaldo happy but Messi makes everyone happy grin

144 Likes 22 Shares

Re: Lionel Messi Leads Inter Miami Into Their First EVER Final by DenreleDave(m): 4:47am On Aug 16, 2023
USA 🇺🇸 & European Interview:

Messi: I have wọn the greatest cup in the history of football ⚽

Reporter: That's true, you won the world cup and also the best player at the tournament.

Arab version:

Reporter: Assamailekun Alfa Penaldo grin grin , have you won the greatest cup in the history of football?

Penaldo: (with red eyes), Maleikun Salam Aboki grin grin grin . Although I didn't win the world cup but I won something that looks like the world cup. Before coming to Walai Talai Desert league, I told them to design the cup to look just like the world cup so that I can pepper Messi fans.

Reporter: Alhamdulilah, can you show us the Aba made world cup you won?

Penaldo: 👇👇👇👇👇

138 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Lionel Messi Leads Inter Miami Into Their First EVER Final by Hpesoj: 4:51am On Aug 16, 2023
Let's the gbas gbos begin!

10 Likes

Re: Lionel Messi Leads Inter Miami Into Their First EVER Final by DenreleDave(m): 4:57am On Aug 16, 2023
Almiron Thierryjay Angelfrost

Our boy has done it again... grin grin grin

Obembet where art thou?

Beverlyjean, Penaldo co*k*r, where una hide?

26 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Lionel Messi Leads Inter Miami Into Their First EVER Final by DenreleDave(m): 4:57am On Aug 16, 2023
Hpesoj:
Let's the gbas gbos begin!

There is no gba gbos.. Messi is definitely clear of fraudnaldo

49 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Lionel Messi Leads Inter Miami Into Their First EVER Final by Freshtruth(m): 4:58am On Aug 16, 2023
MLS is a Micky mouse league Steven Gerarld just against alnasaar the team that sign Ronaldo that is what will call competition. I am just praying supersport should find a way to the airing Saudi Arabia league let me be watching instead . the Saudi Arabia league is now better than Laliga apart from the 3 top clubs in laliga show me the top players playing for the rest teams? Mbappe prefer to move to EPL than Laliga

24 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Lionel Messi Leads Inter Miami Into Their First EVER Final by Chibuzoripob: 5:03am On Aug 16, 2023
grin grin
grin grin
grin grin
Billy 🐐

9 Likes

Re: Lionel Messi Leads Inter Miami Into Their First EVER Final by Freshtruth(m): 5:05am On Aug 16, 2023
Of choosing MLS because of family and move to a proper competition even NPFL is more competitive than MLs Cristiano has 5 Hotels in the us even has a mansion there so he could as well use that as an excuse to move to the us but he love competition. Neymar,Benzema,ronaldo,Firmino will be vying for the Golden boot next season that is what we call competition. Not MLS that is below messi Level

36 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Lionel Messi Leads Inter Miami Into Their First EVER Final by DenreleDave(m): 5:05am On Aug 16, 2023
Freshtruth:
MLS is a Micky mouse league Steven Gerarld just against alnasaar the team that sign Ronaldo that is what will call competition. I am just praying supersport should find a way to the airing Saudi Arabia league let me be watching instead . the Saudi Arabia league is now better than Laliga apart from the 3 top clubs in Madrid show me the top players playing for the rest teams? In a way Cristiano is right messi should stop thus pretence

Now repeat what you just said without tears 😭 bcox you go explain tire grin grin grin grin grin

101 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Lionel Messi Leads Inter Miami Into Their First EVER Final by DenreleDave(m): 5:07am On Aug 16, 2023
Freshtruth:
Of choosing MLS because of family and move to a proper competition even NPFL is more competitive than MLs Cristiano has 5 Hotels in the us even has a mansion there so he could as well use that as an excuse to move to the us but he love competition. Neymar,Benzema,ronaldo,Firmino will be vying for the Golden boot next season that is what we call competition. Not MLS that is below messi Level

How I see what you typed;

Ahdhfhsoajefbeowuwfbejwidyrneiwndbdjssyw
jwhshdyejansofjdhdbsbdjfjrjdjdjfjwjwkedojgfjrj
eoenfnrjwjejrorjewiwjqyqoticncncbnxskdksoe
ofigjwoqoruturaodkfjdjsjdjsifjfjshdbsndkdjfh
wiqowptutufjskkfkzmdndfngjrodkekdk

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

102 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Lionel Messi Leads Inter Miami Into Their First EVER Final by teebagy: 5:07am On Aug 16, 2023
Freshtruth:
MLS is a Micky mouse league Steven Gerarld just against alnasaar the team that sign Ronaldo that is what will call competition. I am just praying supersport should find a way to the airing Saudi Arabia league let me be watching instead . the Saudi Arabia league is now better than Laliga apart from the 3 top clubs in Madrid show me the top players playing for the rest teams? In a way Cristiano is right messi should stop thus pretence
U are daft. Didnt celta vigo beat al nasri 5_0. With ronaldo. Let al haili. Al ithad and al nasri play sevill. Bibao. Real sociedad. Villereal . Valencia then they will know how far.

89 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Lionel Messi Leads Inter Miami Into Their First EVER Final by Freshtruth(m): 5:08am On Aug 16, 2023
Kylian Mbappe prefer to move to EPL rather than Laliga his preferable team is Liverpool that y he want to renew is contract with PSG and wait for Liverpool to enter the champions league then he can sign. He is looking at Halaand as his main rival now and want to start up another messi/ronaldo rivalry in England. Forget thus Madrid talks it will never happen

3 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Lionel Messi Leads Inter Miami Into Their First EVER Final by DenreleDave(m): 5:09am On Aug 16, 2023
Abeg front page

The greatest in the history of football has done it again

8 Likes

Re: Lionel Messi Leads Inter Miami Into Their First EVER Final by Freshtruth(m): 5:15am On Aug 16, 2023
My conclusion Why is messi sacred of Cristiano? Why is messi sacred of competition? Ronaldo went to Italy n invitee messi to come he couldn't, Ronaldo went to EPL but guess what messi ran to Ligue one. It is clear in our eyes but blind messi fans can't speak out Ronaldo no dey pretend lmessi should stop all this hide and seek

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Lionel Messi Leads Inter Miami Into Their First EVER Final by Freshtruth(m): 5:38am On Aug 16, 2023
teebagy:
U are daft. Didnt celta vigo beat al nasri 5_0. With ronaldo. Let al haili. Al ithad and al nasri play sevill. Bibao. Real sociedad. Villereal . Valencia then they will know how far.

Chelsea owner alone spent more than entire Laliga

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lionel Messi Leads Inter Miami Into Their First EVER Final by Goodlady(f): 6:29am On Aug 16, 2023
DenreleDave:
While somebody in Walai Talai Summoni Rojim desert end of the world league is busying parading bend down select - Aba made cup

The greatest in the history of football is showing us what we need. Lionel Messi is the most complete player in the history of soccer.

Arab are even sad because they are forced to make Penaldo happy but Messi makes everyone happy grin
Leave Ronaldo alone o. This no concern him. It's posts like this that made me start following football and I like Ronaldo cos I v discovered people like you hated him for nothing

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lionel Messi Leads Inter Miami Into Their First EVER Final by ThierryJay: 6:32am On Aug 16, 2023
The GOAT strikes majestically again! He just destroyed the toughest team in the MLS with a rocket strike from over 30 yards.

Let this sink in well, Messi has carried the weakest team in the MLS into their first ever final. And all this was done in just 3 weeks! GOATED levels.

Unlike Pendu that jinxed an already great team from first when he joined to third. The tashere local cup he just won was after 8 months.

Messi has been blessing us with mostly spectacular goals, while Wasiu will be siiuing over 0.2cm tap ins garnished with penalties. Difference clear die...

Messi you don dey overfeed us too much o. Since December 18 2022, I've become several trophies heavier grin

41 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Lionel Messi Leads Inter Miami Into Their First EVER Final by Ayoola171(m): 6:37am On Aug 16, 2023
Signing of Messi is the best thing that happened to Inter Miami.

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lionel Messi Leads Inter Miami Into Their First EVER Final by Lucanbay10: 6:48am On Aug 16, 2023

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58KMNMC2lv0
Lionel Messi takes Inter Miami to the League Cup final for the first time in their club’s history.

Leo Messi has scored in all six of his Inter Miami games.
6 games
6 wins
9 goals
1 assist
GOAT

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lionel Messi Leads Inter Miami Into Their First EVER Final by Valwezzy: 6:52am On Aug 16, 2023
The Messi-ah for a reason 🐐🐐

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lionel Messi Leads Inter Miami Into Their First EVER Final by DenreleDave(m): 6:56am On Aug 16, 2023
Goodlady:

Leave Ronaldo alone o. This no concern him. It's posts like this that made me start following football and I like Ronaldo cos I v discovered people like you hated him for nothing

Yen yen yen yen.. Follow follow.. Who ask you? Cho cho cho tongue tongue tongue

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lionel Messi Leads Inter Miami Into Their First EVER Final by 123readygo: 7:27am On Aug 16, 2023
He scored a goal of the tournament contender

3 Likes

Re: Lionel Messi Leads Inter Miami Into Their First EVER Final by adebayo987: 7:29am On Aug 16, 2023
Greatness is not by age. He's older but still playing like a teenager. His motivation is classic.

Environment really matters in everything. France was a toxic place for Messi. France is also toxic to their African colonies.

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lionel Messi Leads Inter Miami Into Their First EVER Final by Angelfrost(m): 7:31am On Aug 16, 2023
DenreleDave:

Obembet where art thou?

Who God has blessed, no naysayer can curse...!

Messi, abeg carry go... You are eternally GOATED!

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Lionel Messi Leads Inter Miami Into Their First EVER Final by Almiron: 8:19am On Aug 16, 2023
DenreleDave:

Obembet where art thou?

my bro, I know you’d have do the needful by creating the topic as usual kudos. Don’t mind those penadogs, they were shamelessly celebrating an inconsequential trophy the other day like say dem win World Cup.

Tbh, I never knew Inter Miami will beat Union, cos they’re one of the best team in the MLS, oh boy as I dey watch the match e come be like friendly. They reduced Philly to dust.

Philadelphia Union is best team of MLS from a decade & was also a best team of tournament, have conceded only 4 goals in leagues cup, lost only 1 home game in last 35 matches & then Leo Messi magic happened they have already conceded 3 goals at the HT, another reason why he's the GOAT!

They're still in last place in MLS' Eastern Conference. The Goat Effect

25 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Lionel Messi Leads Inter Miami Into Their First EVER Final by Almiron: 8:25am On Aug 16, 2023
22 goals In 22 MLS matches before Messi

21 goals in 6 matches after Messi

THIS IS CALLED INFLUENCE. NOT SAUDI MONEY.

44 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Lionel Messi Leads Inter Miami Into Their First EVER Final by Almiron: 8:26am On Aug 16, 2023
The developments at Inter Miami should serve as an insight to the ridiculous levels of some of the worlds best.

From the worst team in America, to potentially the best team in the continent, and turnover time was practically non-existent. All it took was Messi, Busi, & Alba in their mid/late 30s.

This is real 🐐 sh1t, real and instant influence and the pain was delivered straight to the desert. This is what history books will remind the unborn about Leo, this is surreal, this is crazy. Did y’all see his goal, he saw the GK was out and trying to rush back with poor positioning….. common nobody does it like king Leo .

Messi just made bottom team beat the current MLS champions 3-0 in the first half. THE GOAT.

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lionel Messi Leads Inter Miami Into Their First EVER Final by Almiron: 8:30am On Aug 16, 2023
Philadelphia Union coach Jim Curtin after the match🗣️: "With Lionel Messi, nothing is going to stop Inter Miami."

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Lionel Messi Leads Inter Miami Into Their First EVER Final by Almiron: 8:33am On Aug 16, 2023
DenreleDave:

The difference between Messi and others leaving Europe is that while others are washed and finished, HE's still the best in the world. The only 🐐

26 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Lionel Messi Leads Inter Miami Into Their First EVER Final by Almiron: 8:38am On Aug 16, 2023
As seen on Twitter, A penadog stay awake to mock Messi only to end up crying before going to bed. Y’all will explain taya.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lionel Messi Leads Inter Miami Into Their First EVER Final by Almiron: 8:40am On Aug 16, 2023
Freshtruth:
MLS is a Micky mouse league Steven Gerarld just against alnasaar the team that sign Ronaldo that is what will call competition. I am just praying supersport should find a way to the airing Saudi Arabia league let me be watching instead . the Saudi Arabia league is now better than Laliga apart from the 3 top clubs in laliga show me the top players playing for the rest teams? Mbappe prefer to move to EPL than Laliga
you go explain taya

14 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Emenike Kneels Down As Emmanuel Obimma Ebube Muonso Prays For Him (Pic) / Emmanuel Adebayor With His Daughter (Picture) / Willian 'Likes' Chelsea's Instagram Post Celebrating Their Win Over Arsenal

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.