Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,678 members, 7,816,777 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:56 PM

Private Car Owners Turn Commercial To Augment Fuel Money - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Private Car Owners Turn Commercial To Augment Fuel Money (19969 Views)

Is It A Must For Private Car Owner To Have Road Worthiness? / Private Car Owners Do Not Need Roadworthiness Issued By VIO - Appeal Court / 11 Mistakes Most Nigerian Car Owners Make (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Private Car Owners Turn Commercial To Augment Fuel Money by Bobloco: 7:12am On Aug 21, 2023
The days where you see a car owner comfortably sitting in his car with the air conditioner on while he or his driver drives is gradually disappearing.

The picture in vogue is a car owner and five persons clustered in a car, which windows are wound down for ventilation.

Economy&Lifestyle discovered that these occupants of the car in such scenarios are either colleagues, who are also car owners and take weekly turns to transport their colleagues to and fro work or passengers picked up from the bus stops to their destinations. Thereby turning various private cars to commercial.

All these changes are done in a bid to make up fuel money thereby reducing the heavy burden of increase in fuel pump price since May 2023.

The National Bureau of Statistics, NBS, Premium Motor Spirit (PMS) watch for June showed that the average cost of a litre of PMS, also called petrol, rose year-on-year by 210.31 per cent to N545.83 in June 2023 from N175.89 in June 2022.

Apart from the high price of petrol, the cost of car repair, purchasing of car parts and maintenance have also increased, thereby increasing the burdens corporate car owners bear.

Mr. Akinyele Omoniyi, a civil servant, narrated his ordeal in the present fuel price hike.

He said: “When fuel prices increased, I tried leaving my car at home and boarded public transport.

“It was a very bad idea because that week my two phones were stolen by pickpockets. At times I trekked when the fare was too much.

“It was then I sold the idea of taking turns to transport ourselves to and from work to my colleagues who lived around my area. We started to take turns to drive ourselves home. We are six in number.

“Since the roads are filled with less or no traffic, the method has saved not only me but also my colleagues the burden of buying petrol. My colleagues have also sold this idea to many.”

Mrs. Awosina Ruth, a civil servant and colleague of Omoniyi said the idea was at first ridiculous.
She said: “At first I thought Omoniyi’s idea was ridiculous but when I related the idea to my husband, he advised me to give it a trial.

“I am now enjoying it because it has made me cut down the cost of fuelling my car every month. We now share the price burden.”

For Mr. Christopher Okoro, an accountant, who works on the Island, he has to turn his car to commercial to make up fuel money.

He said: “I work on the Island and leave the house 5.a.m daily. I couldn’t take the risk of boarding commercial vehicles to work due to the delays they have in dropping and picking passengers.

” I tried putting up with the cost of fuelling my car in a month, which didn’t pay me at all.
“The money for fuelling my car has eaten deep into my budget for other expenses. I could hardly feed, stock up my house and pay bills and I can’t park my car at home.

“I had to start picking up passengers going to areas along my route on my way to work and back.
“It hasn’t been quite easy though because some passengers would pick up quarrel for their balance and other little things.

“I usually pray to God to keep me safe from carrying the wrong passengers. Now, I worry less about fuelling my car.”

Mrs. Shalewa Ogulusi, a banker, noted that apart from the high cost of fuel, the cost of repairing and maintaining a car is now very expensive due to the high prices of car parts.

She added:”That is why I now join my colleagues in their cars when going to work.

“We take turns in taking ourselves to and from work and this has helped me reduce the cost of transportation.

“Though, I still read in the news that the petroleum marketers are planning to increase the cost of fuel. I pray that this doesn’t happen because people are yet to get up their feet from the recent increase.

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2023/08/private-car-owners-turn-commercial-to-augment-fuel-money/amp/

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Private Car Owners Turn Commercial To Augment Fuel Money by successmatters(m): 7:13am On Aug 21, 2023
By the time bulabablu is finished with Nigeria, people will be lining up daily to beg for food just as they do in Ibadan streets. grin
I was telling a friend gabbytabby about how poor people have besieged their state.

82 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Private Car Owners Turn Commercial To Augment Fuel Money by TemplarLandry: 7:13am On Aug 21, 2023
God bless hardworking men.

I dedicate “Man Must Chop” by Ichaba feat. Davido to real men outchea. Great jam!

7 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Private Car Owners Turn Commercial To Augment Fuel Money by successmatters(m): 7:16am On Aug 21, 2023
TemplarLandry:
God bless hardworking men.

I dedicate “Man Must Chop” by Ichaba feat. Davido to real men outchea. Great jam!
God punish those criminal politicians that has impoverished Hardworking men and women of Nigeria,
I dedicate "Hit them up" by Tupac Shakur to blast their bald heads at Aso village. Great jam.

122 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Private Car Owners Turn Commercial To Augment Fuel Money by slowice(m): 7:20am On Aug 21, 2023
Omo when do Nigerians take a break from constantly mounting wahala?

The average Nigerian have never and may never enjoy life... His father's land brings him nothing but fear, pain and uncertainty.

61 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Private Car Owners Turn Commercial To Augment Fuel Money by raskymonojendor: 7:23am On Aug 21, 2023
More funding needed for transportation planning and analysis. This is what we call a modal shift in transport engineering. cheesy

4 Likes

Re: Private Car Owners Turn Commercial To Augment Fuel Money by princeade86(m): 7:23am On Aug 21, 2023
Na so e go be
Re: Private Car Owners Turn Commercial To Augment Fuel Money by jumper524(m): 7:23am On Aug 21, 2023
successmatters:
By the time bulabablu is finished with Nigeria, people will be lining up daily to beg for food just as they do in Ibadan streets. grin
I was telling a friend gabbytabby about how poor people have besieged their state.
the hypocrisy in you is daring.
So if obi and Atiku has removed subsidy just like Asiwaju did, those drivers won't find it difficult to patch up too?
The careless lifestyle is what has weaken our naira and depreciated our economy, turning it to borrow to feed yet you just enjoy making mockery of everything without any logical reasoning.

29 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Private Car Owners Turn Commercial To Augment Fuel Money by crossfm: 7:23am On Aug 21, 2023
Hehehe.

All man is now a coded economist in Nigeria grin cheesy.

No more time for frivolities grin.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Private Car Owners Turn Commercial To Augment Fuel Money by IyaTola: 7:23am On Aug 21, 2023
Na today!
You are even trying using your car for commercial.
By the time you calculate the fuel to take you your destination is 10k, you would opt for commercial bus. Check BRT terminal the commuters have tripled.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Private Car Owners Turn Commercial To Augment Fuel Money by Lanre4uonly(m): 7:23am On Aug 21, 2023
It is well.
Re: Private Car Owners Turn Commercial To Augment Fuel Money by BestTrades: 7:23am On Aug 21, 2023

To check vehicle history (Vin check)of any car.

Check for accidents, stolen vehicles, recalls ....and more

For comprehensive vehicle history report .

https://verifyithq.com/services/vehicle-history-reports/

For Retrieval Of Lost Custom Duty

https://verifyithq.com/lost-customs-papers/

For Custom Duty Verification .....
https://verifyithq.com/services/customs-duty-verification/

Re: Private Car Owners Turn Commercial To Augment Fuel Money by Crafteck1: 7:24am On Aug 21, 2023
His paid supporters don waka commot, on top una 30k, you see your fellow country people suffering but pretend... May you spend that money in the hospital.

34 Likes 1 Share

Re: Private Car Owners Turn Commercial To Augment Fuel Money by accordadoga24(f): 7:24am On Aug 21, 2023
It has been happening even before now in places like Abuja.

Everything’s gonna be alright.

E lo fi okan bale

3 Likes

Re: Private Car Owners Turn Commercial To Augment Fuel Money by HeadNigga: 7:24am On Aug 21, 2023
That was how I traveled to benin in a Bugatti coz the owner needed money to augment for fuel.

#buga.

8 Likes

Re: Private Car Owners Turn Commercial To Augment Fuel Money by Ofunaofu: 7:24am On Aug 21, 2023
RenewedHopeShege

4 Likes

Re: Private Car Owners Turn Commercial To Augment Fuel Money by Macphenson: 7:24am On Aug 21, 2023
Another achievement of druggie's administration. I was telling somebody yesternight that this is going to be the worst 100 days in office ever of any President. So far Buhari is doing better than Tinubu.

24 Likes

Re: Private Car Owners Turn Commercial To Augment Fuel Money by successmatters(m): 7:25am On Aug 21, 2023
jumper524:
So if obi and Atiku has removed subsidy just like Asiwaju did, those drivers won't find it difficult to patch up too?
The careless lifestyle is what has weaken our naira and depreciated our economy, turning it to borrow to feed yet you just enjoy making mockery of everything without any logical reasoning.

Obi never does any half measures, he doesn't leave any loose ends. He wouldn't have removed subsidy without preparing for the impacts. He is not a drug addict.

61 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Private Car Owners Turn Commercial To Augment Fuel Money by incogni2o: 7:25am On Aug 21, 2023
It is well
Re: Private Car Owners Turn Commercial To Augment Fuel Money by lokotamak(m): 7:25am On Aug 21, 2023
cool
Re: Private Car Owners Turn Commercial To Augment Fuel Money by Calabar1stSon: 7:26am On Aug 21, 2023
Abandoned cars turned scrap at my Estate due to fuel subsidy. When you ask them to vote wisely you'd be called a WAILER.

40 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Private Car Owners Turn Commercial To Augment Fuel Money by whytediamond(m): 7:27am On Aug 21, 2023
wink

1 Like

Re: Private Car Owners Turn Commercial To Augment Fuel Money by Luckysbab: 7:27am On Aug 21, 2023
This isn't a bad idea, if that is the intent of the author.

2 Likes

Re: Private Car Owners Turn Commercial To Augment Fuel Money by realtestament(m): 7:27am On Aug 21, 2023
We miss you dear Buhari😢

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Private Car Owners Turn Commercial To Augment Fuel Money by nkemoma(m): 7:27am On Aug 21, 2023
Lol..

The goal is that the average man should dare not have a car for luxury..

You either do cabu cabu or troway your car.

Unago C. Shege!!

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Private Car Owners Turn Commercial To Augment Fuel Money by Ofunaofu: 7:27am On Aug 21, 2023
jumper524:

You Tinubu minions and agbadorians should stop making this unintelligent and foolish comparison

Tinubu is the one who made that thoughtless "subsidy is gone" pronouncement right on his inauguration ground which has further impoverished Nigerians thereby moving over 180 million Nigerians into multi dimensional poverty

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Private Car Owners Turn Commercial To Augment Fuel Money by Bwillanto(m): 7:28am On Aug 21, 2023
Can we blame them
Re: Private Car Owners Turn Commercial To Augment Fuel Money by Luckysbab: 7:28am On Aug 21, 2023
accordadoga24:
It has been happening even before now in places like Abuja.

Everything’s gonna be alright.

E lo fi okan bale

I don't even understand why this will be painted as weird and negative.

Many years back, I remember one sharp working class man who drove Toyota Hummer bus to work rather than some fancy car. He used to pick 'passengers' going to work in it and chaarge slightly lesser than the regular fair. I remeber he once mentioned he usually hired it out on weekends to those travelling out of Lag for one ceremony or the other.

6 Likes

Re: Private Car Owners Turn Commercial To Augment Fuel Money by JoshTim: 7:28am On Aug 21, 2023
successmatters:

I know people like you, you pray so hard for people not to succeed. You are manifesting the same thing concerning cabinet that is just newly constituted.

In 6 months time you can start your critique not when they haven't even started.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Private Car Owners Turn Commercial To Augment Fuel Money by lincsnuel: 7:28am On Aug 21, 2023
Hmm
Re: Private Car Owners Turn Commercial To Augment Fuel Money by simfrost90210: 7:29am On Aug 21, 2023
Way to go for now especially Corolla owners!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

A Tanker And BRT Bus Accident In Abuja This Morning / The Nigerian Police And Engine Number. / Waymo Self-driving Cars Becomes Soft Before Hitting A Pedestrian

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.