Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,222 members, 7,818,762 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:04 AM

11 Mistakes Most Nigerian Car Owners Make - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 11 Mistakes Most Nigerian Car Owners Make (25879 Views)

6 Lies Nigerian Car Dealers Tell Prospective Buyers / Private Car Owners Do Not Need Roadworthiness Issued By VIO - Appeal Court / Can A Nigerian Car Be Registered More Than Once? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

11 Mistakes Most Nigerian Car Owners Make by autojosh: 5:55pm On May 09, 2018
Let’s face and accept the truth, most Nigerians, or should I say a good number of Nigerian car owners, make too many mistakes. Some of them can cause minor damages, while others can be fatal.
Let’s find out some mistakes you are probably making and why you should stop them.

Not Reading The Car Manual
I can stake a Rolls Royce Phantom in a bet that, about 5 out of 10 or even more Nigerian car owners/drivers have never read their car manual or any car manual for that matter.
Read your car manual!, not all cars are the same !. Get to know your car.

Not Knowing Basic Car Maintenance And Repair
A very good number car owners, don’t know basic maintenance and repair of minor faults. What if your car breaks down where you have no access to a mechanic, and all you need is just 10 minutes of quick fixes to get you back on the road ?.Learn basic maintenance and repair, some of them are included in the manual !.Watch and learn from your mechanic, ask questions! .

Trying To Fix Things Beyond Your Experience
As much as its good to learn how to fix stuff yourself, there are some things that are way beyond your experience level. Leave it to the pros. Don’t do more damage to your car.

Not Having Basic Tools
This goes hand in hand with learning how to do simple maintenance and repair yourself .There are some set of tools you should always have, a jack is one of them, wheel spanners etc.As funny as it sounds , some people don’t have these. You can get all your tools and more in our auto shop.

Not Buckling Your Kids Up
This is rather sad and extremely dangerous. To compound the whole issue, I have seen parents allow their kids play in the front seat without being buckled up. Please make sure kids are buckled up properly.

Adults Need To Buckle Up Too
This has been repeated so much that people start feeling like they are being “forced” to wear seat belts. It’s for your safety. Kindly put them on always, and properly too.

Disobeying Speed Limits And Traffic Signs
Most Nigerian drivers turn a blind eye to speed limit signs, sometimes school/children crossing signs are ignored too!. They are there to protect you and other road users. Respecting them would take just few minutes of your time, disrespecting them might take your entire life away, or someone else’s life. Be safe .

Disobeying Traffic Lights
I had to separate this from the previous point. This is one of the most common violation/mistake, especially when the road is “free” and there is no traffic officer in sight. I was once knocked down by a Keke(Tricycle) in Mushin one evening, because I trusted the traffic light and the drivers, I didn’t see it coming. Thankfully, it was just a few bruises , it could have been worse. Kindly obey the traffic light always .

Using The Wrong Type Of Oil
Most manuals these days indicate the kind of oil you should use.Stop trusting Kamoru the mechanic’s suggestion on what oil to use.To most of them, “oil na oil “, they can’t even read the labels(I don’t mean to be condescending, but its true).Use the right oil for your car ! .

Using Wrong/Expired Tyres
A very good number of car owners still don’t know that tyres expire just like your milk or drugs .The fact that its shining and the threads are intact doesn’t mean it’s good to go. Some tyres aren’t even created for this climate, they are built for snow and cold environments. News flash!, its indicated on the body of the tyre. You need to start paying more attention to your safety folks!. Yes, Mr Segun, I am talking to you �.

Not Checking Your Tyres Before Leaving The Mechanic’s Shop
Mechanics and vulcanizers can be really careless and nonchalant sometimes. Always double check all the tyres with a wheel spanner(not your bare hands) and make sure they are properly tightened before heading out. In fact, make this a routine check every day, even if you drove your car just last night and it has been parked in your compound all day.
I once caught a neighbour placing a nail under another neighbour’s tyre.
You have no idea what village people and wicked neighbours are capable of, I have said my own oo.��

Hope you enjoyed this and learnt something valuable.
We would love to hear from you

By Donald3d

https://autojosh.com/mistakes-most-nigerian-car-owners-need-to-stop/

17 Likes 5 Shares

Re: 11 Mistakes Most Nigerian Car Owners Make by directorXixXICK(m): 5:56pm On May 09, 2018
A typical Nigerian driver including you OP is guilty of at least 7 out of these 11 mistakes

18 Likes

Re: 11 Mistakes Most Nigerian Car Owners Make by olatunjithomas(m): 6:22pm On May 09, 2018
Autojosh abeg you get 1917 Toyota Camry with reverse camera and parking assist for sale??

contact me if you get

4 Likes

Re: 11 Mistakes Most Nigerian Car Owners Make by tkonmoney: 6:45pm On May 09, 2018
Okkkk
Re: 11 Mistakes Most Nigerian Car Owners Make by Owaincouncil: 6:46pm On May 09, 2018
Alright.
Re: 11 Mistakes Most Nigerian Car Owners Make by KrystosCJ(m): 6:47pm On May 09, 2018
GURUGRAPHICS:
valid points.. smiley

meanwhile guys, are you bored and in need of some entertainment?
then add me on skype at isabel okoh... wink for a video chat session...

...serious buyers only!!!!

Am I buying or paying for a video session with you?

Oil is oil.. until your engine says otherwise.
Re: 11 Mistakes Most Nigerian Car Owners Make by Pabloosas(m): 6:47pm On May 09, 2018
Ya
Re: 11 Mistakes Most Nigerian Car Owners Make by scholes23(m): 6:49pm On May 09, 2018
True

1 Like

Re: 11 Mistakes Most Nigerian Car Owners Make by YoungKeem(m): 6:49pm On May 09, 2018
Nice
Re: 11 Mistakes Most Nigerian Car Owners Make by scholes23(m): 6:51pm On May 09, 2018
KrystosCJ:

Oil is oil.. until your engine says otherwise.
Na lie
Re: 11 Mistakes Most Nigerian Car Owners Make by KrystosCJ(m): 6:53pm On May 09, 2018
scholes23:
Na lie

I'm just reiterating the mentality of most drivers who give in to the suggestion of quack mechanics.
Re: 11 Mistakes Most Nigerian Car Owners Make by Timagex(m): 6:53pm On May 09, 2018
Me hates sit belts!!! But, I fear mechanics in this life shocked

1 Like

Re: 11 Mistakes Most Nigerian Car Owners Make by TalkTalkTwins(m): 6:55pm On May 09, 2018
Timagex:
Me hates sit belts!!! But, I fear mechanics in this life shocked
SEAT

5 Likes

Re: 11 Mistakes Most Nigerian Car Owners Make by Ttipsy(f): 6:57pm On May 09, 2018
12 not knowing how to drive! they speedup when pple r crossing

1 Like

Re: 11 Mistakes Most Nigerian Car Owners Make by Donald3d(m): 6:59pm On May 09, 2018
smiley
Re: 11 Mistakes Most Nigerian Car Owners Make by moscobabs(m): 7:04pm On May 09, 2018
I'm an Accountant, I can do more work on my car than Mechanics, Rewire and even panel beater combine with the help of my car manual

2 Likes

Re: 11 Mistakes Most Nigerian Car Owners Make by eluquenson(m): 7:15pm On May 09, 2018
Well, I know I'm guilty of the seat belt
Re: 11 Mistakes Most Nigerian Car Owners Make by Gkemz: 7:15pm On May 09, 2018
Nice writeup. God bless you for saving another lives.

1 Like

Re: 11 Mistakes Most Nigerian Car Owners Make by femi4: 7:19pm On May 09, 2018
Oil na oil jare. How many naija shop get 5w30 oil

For this buhari economy, in used/expired tyres we trust

1 Like

Re: 11 Mistakes Most Nigerian Car Owners Make by kmaster007: 7:27pm On May 09, 2018
disobeying is allowed.. wen IG disobey Senate Nttn hppn. so, Nttn dey hppn
Re: 11 Mistakes Most Nigerian Car Owners Make by ednut1(m): 7:35pm On May 09, 2018
mobil1 costs like 16k or so, only bot it once grin. afterall winter no dey nigeria mobil XHP wont freeze

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 11 Mistakes Most Nigerian Car Owners Make by Nobody: 7:53pm On May 09, 2018
moscobabs:
I'm an Accountant, I can do more work on my car than Mechanics, Rewire and even panel beater combine with the help of my car manual
tell me more

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 11 Mistakes Most Nigerian Car Owners Make by Timagex(m): 8:00pm On May 09, 2018
TalkTalkTwins:
SEAT
thanks sire
Re: 11 Mistakes Most Nigerian Car Owners Make by Timagex(m): 8:01pm On May 09, 2018
TalkTalkTwins:
SEAT
thanks sire.....is this taiwo or kenny?
Re: 11 Mistakes Most Nigerian Car Owners Make by oluwaseunla(m): 8:02pm On May 09, 2018
ednut1:
mobil1 costs like 16k or so, only bot it once grin. afterall winter no dey nigeria mobil XHP wont freeze

Mobil 1 is not because of winter, it is because of your engine type. If you cannot afford to maintain a car, you have no business owning that type of car.

1 Like

Re: 11 Mistakes Most Nigerian Car Owners Make by INDUSTRIALFAN(m): 8:11pm On May 09, 2018
autojosh:
Let’s face and accept the truth, most Nigerians, or should I say a good number of Nigerian car owners, make too many mistakes. Some of them can cause minor damages, while others can be fatal.
Let’s find out some mistakes you are probably making and why you should stop them.

Not Reading The Car Manual
I can stake a Rolls Royce Phantom in a bet that, about 5 out of 10 or even more Nigerian car owners/drivers have never read their car manual or any car manual for that matter.
Read your car manual!, not all cars are the same !. Get to know your car.

Not Knowing Basic Car Maintenance And Repair
A very good number car owners, don’t know basic maintenance and repair of minor faults. What if your car breaks down where you have no access to a mechanic, and all you need is just 10 minutes of quick fixes to get you back on the road ?.Learn basic maintenance and repair, some of them are included in the manual !.Watch and learn from your mechanic, ask questions! .

Trying To Fix Things Beyond Your Experience
As much as its good to learn how to fix stuff yourself, there are some things that are way beyond your experience level. Leave it to the pros. Don’t do more damage to your car.

Not Having Basic Tools
This goes hand in hand with learning how to do simple maintenance and repair yourself .There are some set of tools you should always have, a jack is one of them, wheel spanners etc.As funny as it sounds , some people don’t have these. You can get all your tools and more in our auto shop.

Not Buckling Your Kids Up
This is rather sad and extremely dangerous. To compound the whole issue, I have seen parents allow their kids play in the front seat without being buckled up. Please make sure kids are buckled up properly.

Adults Need To Buckle Up Too
This has been repeated so much that people start feeling like they are being “forced” to wear seat belts. It’s for your safety. Kindly put them on always, and properly too.

Disobeying Speed Limits And Traffic Signs
Most Nigerian drivers turn a blind eye to speed limit signs, sometimes school/children crossing signs are ignored too!. They are there to protect you and other road users. Respecting them would take just few minutes of your time, disrespecting them might take your entire life away, or someone else’s life. Be safe .

Disobeying Traffic Lights
I had to separate this from the previous point. This is one of the most common violation/mistake, especially when the road is “free” and there is no traffic officer in sight. I was once knocked down by a Keke(Tricycle) in Mushin one evening, because I trusted the traffic light and the drivers, I didn’t see it coming. Thankfully, it was just a few bruises , it could have been worse. Kindly obey the traffic light always .

Using The Wrong Type Of Oil
Most manuals these days indicate the kind of oil you should use.Stop trusting Kamoru the mechanic’s suggestion on what oil to use.To most of them, “oil na oil “, they can’t even read the labels(I don’t mean to be condescending, but its true).Use the right oil for your car ! .

Using Wrong/Expired Tyres
A very good number of car owners still don’t know that tyres expire just like your milk or drugs .The fact that its shining and the threads are intact doesn’t mean it’s good to go. Some tyres aren’t even created for this climate, they are built for snow and cold environments. News flash!, its indicated on the body of the tyre. You need to start paying more attention to your safety folks!. Yes, Mr Segun, I am talking to you �.

Not Checking Your Tyres Before Leaving The Mechanic’s Shop
Mechanics and vulcanizers can be really careless and nonchalant sometimes. Always double check all the tyres with a wheel spanner(not your bare hands) and make sure they are properly tightened before heading out. In fact, make this a routine check every day, even if you drove your car just last night and it has been parked in your compound all day.
I once caught a neighbour placing a nail under another neighbour’s tyre.
You have no idea what village people and wicked neighbours are capable of, I have said my own oo.��

Hope you enjoyed this and learnt something valuable.
We would love to hear from you

By Donald3d

https://autojosh.com/mistakes-most-nigerian-car-owners-need-to-stop/

you wan stake motor wey you nor get... Iffah mail you slap eh grin .. Nice post though..

1 Like

Re: 11 Mistakes Most Nigerian Car Owners Make by Nobody: 8:45pm On May 09, 2018
GURUGRAPHICS:
valid points.. smiley

meanwhile guys, are you bored and in need of some entertainment?
then add me on skype at isabel okoh... wink for a video chat session...

...serious buyers only!!!!
Watchu selling??

1 Like

Re: 11 Mistakes Most Nigerian Car Owners Make by Dottore: 9:14pm On May 09, 2018
Ok
Re: 11 Mistakes Most Nigerian Car Owners Make by CarReg(m): 10:46pm On May 09, 2018
As per having basic tools in your car… this experience change my life….
My car (Corolla 2005 model)couldn’t start in the office after close of work(worked late that day)- battery issue, I got a battery to start it but, no cable to jump start. We resolve to using spanner. We couldn’t get anywhere….

My boss closed and noticed I am still at the car park, we got spinners and many other tools in his Land cruiser prado of 2017 model. The car has a full tool box.

I asked him what is a tool box doing here, and he replied, the white man planned it there so that, if the car break down once in 10 years, you will not be stranded. I imagined mine, that is over 10 years older…….

Since then I became born-again and I bought all necessary tools in my car….

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Coscharis Motor To Start Producing Renault Cars In Nigeria / Stolen Car!!! Plsss Help / Checkout The 9 Oldest Auto-makers In The World

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.