Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,205 members, 7,811,556 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 02:36 PM

Omor Community New Yam Festival In Anambra State (Photos) - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Omor Community New Yam Festival In Anambra State (Photos) (26534 Views)

3 Young Women Who Are Virgins Initiated Into Womanhood In Rivers State (Photos) / 2021 Edition Of Umuagu Community New Yam Festival Set For Oct 3 / Igbos Celebrate New Yam Festival In Ghana (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Omor Community New Yam Festival In Anambra State (Photos) by TundeBricklayer: 6:06pm On Aug 24, 2023
IGWE ACHEBE, ANAMBRA SPEAKER UDEZE, IGBAKIGBA OTHERS FETES WITH OMOR KINGDOM AS IGWE ORANU CHIDUME CELEBRATES 2023 OMOR NEW YAM FESTIVAL

The traditional ruler of Omor community in Ayamelum local government, HRH Igwe Dr Chris Oranu Chidume MON (Eze Igulube Omor, Eze Anaukwu) on Saturday August, 19, 2023 performed the Omor 2023 New Yam Festival (Iwa Ji Omor) in a style.

Igwe Oranu who call on the government to continue their dedication towards encouraging productivity in the country and in the state. He believes that if the state and federal govt came encourage the citizenry to go into production of both agricultural produce and other of our daily needs, it will reduce our dependence on imported goods and increase our exportation.

He added that if these measures are taken, it will sharply improve our economy and reduce drastically the high poverty rate and economic hardship bedeviling the nation presently.

He equally commends the Governor Prof Charles Chukwuma Soludo CFR led Anambra State Government for their continued efforts that made the event a peaceful one and pray more efforts are needed towards enhancing productivity even in the state level.

Addressing the press, the Obi of Onitsha, HRM Igwe Alfred Achebe MFR encouraged Ndi Anambra, Igbos and Nigeria at large to go back to agriculture. He said that our old practice of farming our backyards if revived can go a long way to provide food security in the country.

The leader of Omor Supreme Elders Council Rtd. Hon Justice Paul Obidigwe really thanked God for blessing Omor community with a selfless monarch as HRH Igwe Dr Oranu Chidume MON who has continued serving and providing for the Omor community with his wealth.

Justice Obidigwe prayed that God will continue to bless the Igwe, his family and his source of wealth and that his reign will continue till infinity.

The high point of the event includes masquerade display, women dance troupe, Ndi Ada troupe and many other cultural displays that made the event a remarkable and a breathtaking scenery.

Also the Anambra House of Assembly Speaker, Rt Hon Somto Udeze, Anambra State commissioner for homeland, Chief Chikodi Anara (Igbakigba), Commissioner for Industry, Mr Christian, Udechukwu Hon Member Representing Ayamelum at Anambra State Assembly, Hon Abuchi Bernard Udemezue, Igwe of Aguleri, HRM Igwe Dr Mike Idigo (Eze Udo Aguleri), HRH Igwe Johnson Mbanefo of Mkpunando Aguleri, and many traditional rulers and top govt functionaries, lawmakers graced the event.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Omor Community New Yam Festival In Anambra State (Photos) by TundeBricklayer: 6:08pm On Aug 24, 2023
Watch the ongoing road project in Awka, Anambra state by Gov Soludo's administration

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTQKVXvnJTQ?si=mbwsPUDEeknanOjm

More from Omor

6 Likes

Re: Omor Community New Yam Festival In Anambra State (Photos) by TundeBricklayer: 6:10pm On Aug 24, 2023
More

7 Likes

Re: Omor Community New Yam Festival In Anambra State (Photos) by Ofodirinwa: 6:11pm On Aug 24, 2023
great pictures

37 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Omor Community New Yam Festival In Anambra State (Photos) by TundeBricklayer: 6:18pm On Aug 24, 2023
HRH Igwe Dr Chris Oranu Chidume MON (Eze Igulube Omor, Eze Anaukwu) is one of the biggest industrialists in Anamabra state he is the owner of Eastern Distilleries & Food Industries located in Ogbaru, Anamabra state makers of these products not imported, all indigenous products

54 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Omor Community New Yam Festival In Anambra State (Photos) by DEXTROVERT: 6:27pm On Aug 24, 2023
The
East
Is
Rich and Elegant
Culturally

Let's
Rise
To
Appraise
Our
Cultural heritage

107 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Omor Community New Yam Festival In Anambra State (Photos) by TotoGame(m): 6:33pm On Aug 24, 2023
Igbo Culture Amaka! Anambra Amaka!!

80 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Omor Community New Yam Festival In Anambra State (Photos) by Pakute: 6:48pm On Aug 24, 2023
Ayam sorry but anytime i dey hear dis so called yam festival dey make me to laugh. But my question is, how is yam part of ibo culture?, did ibos discover yam?, is there no ibo word for yam?, why not use your indigenous language for the festival rather than English.

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Omor Community New Yam Festival In Anambra State (Photos) by Jcoleworld911: 6:50pm On Aug 24, 2023
A silent billionaire πŸ˜‰
He’s starting another massive company too close to Eastern distiller and he just finished a massive one some months back

This man workforce in harbor industrial park is above 1000

@beautifulmind2, you need to cover that place again, so many industries are there now

We were there last week at UAC, makers of grand oil and feeds etc. My wife and her partners are starting a poultry farm very soon, we went for an inquiry

51 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Omor Community New Yam Festival In Anambra State (Photos) by waynetee(m): 6:50pm On Aug 24, 2023
Pakute:
Ayam sorry but anytime i dey hear dis so called yam festival dey make me to laugh. My question is, how is yam part of ibo culture?, did ibos discover yam?,

Don't mind them, they didn't know they do yam festivals everywhere.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Omor Community New Yam Festival In Anambra State (Photos) by ecolime(m): 6:53pm On Aug 24, 2023
I'm suprised Igbos celebrate new yam festival shocked

Igede people of Benue state sef dey always celebrate am. Their own ehn, dem celebrate am pass Christmas and New year sef.

6 Likes

Re: Omor Community New Yam Festival In Anambra State (Photos) by Greatkenny2: 6:58pm On Aug 24, 2023
Pakute:
Ayam sorry but anytime i dey hear dis so called yam festival dey make me to laugh. My question is, how is yam part of ibo culture?, did ibos discover yam?,

You're a yellowba muzlem... We don't expect you to understand the revered new yam festival...... I'm sure you have the isese festival you and your Fulani lords are disputing over to worry about

98 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Omor Community New Yam Festival In Anambra State (Photos) by KwuoteYourFada: 6:59pm On Aug 24, 2023
Pakute:
Ayam sorry but anytime i dey hear dis so called yam festival dey make me to laugh. But my question is, how is yam part of ibo culture?, did ibos discover yam?, is there no ibo word for yam?, why not use your indigenous language for the festival rather than English.

Where are you from?

Same isese idiots that keeps having erection on Igbo matter

Go and face Gambaris Kwara πŸ–πŸ–πŸ–πŸ–

81 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Omor Community New Yam Festival In Anambra State (Photos) by izenco2005(m): 7:00pm On Aug 24, 2023
If na bad new for don reach front-page, link or no link grin grin > grin

2 Likes

Re: Omor Community New Yam Festival In Anambra State (Photos) by KwuoteYourFada: 7:01pm On Aug 24, 2023
ecolime:

Igede people of Benue state sef dey always celebrate am. Their own ehn, dem celebrate am pass Christmas and New year sef.

Yam festival is by far the biggest cultural festival of Igbos

62 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Omor Community New Yam Festival In Anambra State (Photos) by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 7:05pm On Aug 24, 2023
Pakute:

Iri ji festival.

Mumu

69 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Omor Community New Yam Festival In Anambra State (Photos) by Tinububalls: 7:07pm On Aug 24, 2023
Pakute:
Answering you is stupidity.

42 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Omor Community New Yam Festival In Anambra State (Photos) by Pakute: 7:13pm On Aug 24, 2023
InyinyaAgbaOku:

Iri ji festival.

Mumu
Why are you ashamed to call it iri ji?, it has always been called yam, even on official letter heads from Governor's office. And why is yam part of your culture?, na una get am?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Omor Community New Yam Festival In Anambra State (Photos) by GeneralPula: 7:13pm On Aug 24, 2023
Haha..

Emeka, you don finally reveal yourself after wasting your time impersonating Osun..

Enjoy your fiesta o..
Re: Omor Community New Yam Festival In Anambra State (Photos) by greatiyk4u(m): 7:14pm On Aug 24, 2023
Pakute:

Iwa Ji festival

18 Likes

Re: Omor Community New Yam Festival In Anambra State (Photos) by Pakute: 7:21pm On Aug 24, 2023
Greatkenny2:

You're a yellowba muzlem... We don't expect you to understand the revered new yam festival...... I'm sure you have the isese festival you and your Fulani lords are disputing over to worry about

isese is a yoruba word and the culture peculiar to the yoruba people, hence the word "isese". Is yam peculiar to the ibos?

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Omor Community New Yam Festival In Anambra State (Photos) by Couldntfigurean: 7:29pm On Aug 24, 2023
I have several friends from Omor
Good people

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Omor Community New Yam Festival In Anambra State (Photos) by BigYash: 7:31pm On Aug 24, 2023
Roasted yam with burnt red oil for village those days.. Op why you come dey make fried yam and egg sauce dey hungry me like this? Let me hit the ground running..

8 Likes

Re: Omor Community New Yam Festival In Anambra State (Photos) by igwebuike01: 8:02pm On Aug 24, 2023
TundeBricklayer:
HRH Igwe Dr Chris Oranu Chidume MON (Eze Igulube Omor, Eze Anaukwu) is one of the biggest industrialists in Anamabra state he is the owner of Eastern Distilleries & Food Industries Limited make of these products
If you don't have track record of success you won't rule in SE.

31 Likes

Re: Omor Community New Yam Festival In Anambra State (Photos) by igwebuike01: 8:04pm On Aug 24, 2023
Pakute:
That's the English translation.

2 Likes

Re: Omor Community New Yam Festival In Anambra State (Photos) by MEEVEET: 8:14pm On Aug 24, 2023
Pakute:
How is yam Igbo culture? There is no Igbo land without yam... It's a par with kola nut in Igbo tradition

It's the king of crops, Sustainer of life this is what we ate before the white man came oga

Yam is ji... New yam festival is iri ji festival...

22 Likes

Re: Omor Community New Yam Festival In Anambra State (Photos) by MEEVEET: 8:15pm On Aug 24, 2023
waynetee:

Don't mind them, they didn't know they do yam festivals everywhere.
What's our business if you do yam festival? See me see trouble ooh

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Omor Community New Yam Festival In Anambra State (Photos) by MEEVEET: 8:19pm On Aug 24, 2023
ecolime:

In Igbo land yam is the king of crop... We celebrate the arrival of new yam ... It's the most important crop in Igbo culture outside kola nut... It was the exclusive reserve for men to farm

New yam is the biggest cultural celebration in Igbo land na

I personally don't eat any new yam until I sacrifice an animal to welcome the new yam ( that was how it was in the old days it was a taboo to eat new yam before u celebrate it)

In Igbo land wealth was measured in yam... In my place we have a society called Eze Ji (king of yam) it's a society of the biggest yam farmers
To join your yam ban must reach a certain number

38 Likes 1 Share

Re: Omor Community New Yam Festival In Anambra State (Photos) by MEEVEET: 8:21pm On Aug 24, 2023
Pakute:
Why are you ashamed to call it iri ji?, it has always been called yam, even on official letter heads from Governor's office. And why is yam part of your culture?, na una get am?
We speak English as official language oga.. We don't force people to speak our language we make it easy for everyone to understand

Rest

31 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Oba Sejiro Olalekan Engages Jaiyeola Omolabake, Daughter Of Ebeneze Obey (Photos / 3 Female Osun Followers Solicit For Alms, Dressed In White (Photos) / Google in Yoruba

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.