Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,617 members, 7,813,030 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 05:06 AM

Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy (25975 Views)

Afrobeat Is Taking Over / How Ruggedman And 9ice Elevated Afrobeat - Mrrights / Writing An Afrobeat Song (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by Noneroone(m): 2:22pm On Aug 25, 2023
Grammy award-winning artiste, Burna Boy has described Afrobeats as ‘nothing’, saying it lacks substance.

According to the singer, 90 percent of Afrobeats songs is devoid of real-life experiences and only portray an amazing time which life isn’t all about.

The self-styled African Giant made this known in a recent interview on Apple Music.

“Not even experience, because half of them, like 90% of them, have no real-life experience that they can understand.

“That’s why you hear most Nigerian music, African Music, or Afrobeats, as you people call it, is mostly about nothing, absolutely nothing. There is no substance to it, like nobody is talking about anything, it’s just a great time. But at the end of the day, life isn’t an amazing time.”

His statement has since sparked a range of reactions on social media with some agreeing with him, and others criticizing him for being arrogant.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vanguardngr.com/2023/08/afrobeats-is-nothing-lacks-substance-burna-boy/amp/

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by illicit(m): 2:26pm On Aug 25, 2023
Especially my guy Davido

Just sings about money

Wiz about girls, he tries sometime sha like in Ojuelegba and Joy etc

Rhema just dey insult girls.... I get money pass ur papa.... Who does that

132 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by Armaggedon: 2:28pm On Aug 25, 2023
The truth at last. Once you tell me you enjoy songs from WizKid, Davido etc I'll rate you low instantly.

155 Likes 19 Shares

Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by Winner90: 2:34pm On Aug 25, 2023
Using pidgin alone which is an inferior version of a language means that whatever crap you sing won't have a universal appeal.

23 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by wittywriter: 2:38pm On Aug 25, 2023
How come ? What infered this notion from Burna Boy...
So can someone remind me what category or genre of songs Fela Abami-Eda was entertaining the world with.

Winner90:
Using pidgin alone which is an inferior version of a language means that whatever crap you sing won't have a universal appeal.
How old are you? Fela , Sunny Ade and Angelique sang in pidgin.
Winner90:
read and understand my comment. Firstly, no relationship between the style of contemporary songs labelled afrobeat and fela's style. Secondly, Fela was a popular personality mainly because he founded a genre notably for a unique combination of certain instruments. But non of fela's songs themselves have global appeal, same with sunny ade. Remind me Angelique kidjo's pidgin song that is a worldwide hit. It is better to sing in your language and English like kidjo than in pidgin.
Bob Marley despite being a raggae artiste, had global hits like "one love" because it was creatively written in English.
...to you Fela's songs wasn't appealing ok o.

mariovito:
Why are you engaging someone that thinks Fela lacks global appeal.

Jcole sampled Fela
Common sampled Fela
Nas sampled Fela countless times
Alicia keys sampled Fela in her productions
The Roots did a song with Femi because of Fela's influence
Coldplay sampled Fela

And countless other global artists I can't mention right now.

FATYTOY:

You don't have to drag with this kid. The indomie generation can never understand

GreatrAnalyst:

All these indomie generation kids...
Same afrobeat that Fela pioneered, which same Burna sees as godfather?

I think Burna, either he enjoys controversies or his memory is failing him.
He and his supporters need to beef up their knowledge. Afrobeat comes with variant fusions. SSP sings/sang Afrojuju, KSA does same. Both are offshoots of Afrobeat.

To say that all those legends in their own rights sang no-substance songs is to be dimwitted. He might be referring to his own mates but Afrobeat is beyond Davido and WiKid. You can cut your own piece out of the main Afrobeat, but the overall Afrobeat is recognized world over.

It is like saying because Sean Paul raps in his own Jamaican Patois, then he doesn't rap "substance".

What is the definition of "substance" to start with?
I'm bemused by their wrong opinion.

Naijaboy18:
Imagine insulting the genre that made your whole career. Had burna not sampled fela kuti fir the whole African giant album he would never have been known. He should leave afrobeat alone if he has such a problem

nairalee:
Reading through this thread I'm so ashamed and embarrassed. So burna boy and many Nigerians(Nairalanders) really dont know anything about culture, music and art in general.

What a shame

Wittyness

69 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by kestolove95(m): 2:56pm On Aug 25, 2023
I hate burna boy

109 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by Winner90: 3:37pm On Aug 25, 2023
wittywriter:
How come ? What infered this notion from Burna Boy...
So can someone remind me what category or genre of songs Fela Abami-Eda was entertaining the world with.

How old are you? Fela , Sunny Ade and Angelique sang in pidgin.

Wittyness
read and understand my comment. Firstly, no relationship between the style of contemporary songs labelled afrobeat and fela's style. Secondly, Fela was a popular personality mainly because he founded a genre notably for a unique combination of certain instruments. But non of fela's songs themselves have global appeal, same with sunny ade. Remind me Angelique kidjo's pidgin song that is a worldwide hit. It is better to sing in your language and English like kidjo than in pidgin.
Bob Marley despite being a raggae artiste, had global hits like "one love" because it was creatively written in English.

10 Likes

Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by ShenTeh(m): 10:02am On Aug 26, 2023
Wow.

You all see how the plate is regarded as dirty and gross after we are done with our delicacy from it.

122 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by grandstar(m): 10:03am On Aug 26, 2023
Burnaboy sings Afrobeat. The rest largely sing Afropop. I don't know why they call it Afrobeat.

Pop music is more about having fun and dancing. They usually sing about love.

33 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by SailorUgo(m): 10:03am On Aug 26, 2023
Winner90:

Wrong.
Music is a universal language of its own. Doesn’t matter what language you sing with, great music is great music. And there’re millions of proof. Gangnam style etc etc

kestolove95:
I hate burna boy

He misyarned, but why would you hate the current best musician in Nigeria?

ShenTeh:
Wow.

You all see how the plate is regarded as dirty and gross after we are done with our delicacy from it.

Normal Nigerians. Unfortunately what Burna and most Nigerian artists who try to go international does not understand is that after all said and done, these guys will never accept you as their own.

Las las Burna go realize say na only us Dey rate am.

105 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by ItisWell22(f): 10:03am On Aug 26, 2023
😕

1 Like

Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by rapcy(m): 10:03am On Aug 26, 2023
Well, some afrobeat songs has nothing in meaning truly but it is common with most artists globally. Even US artists dem, how many of them get jams wey dey talk better thing? Mostly na about drugs and women and no better beat to shake body to sef. I rather jam to my afrobeat wey gather rythm. That said, even the Burna Boy has lost touch to who he really was, after that OUTSIDE and AFRICAN GIANT album the rest na half bake album trying his best to sound global when in real sense it was his local prowess that got him the recognition he has now.

79 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by Bfly: 10:03am On Aug 26, 2023
Na now una just dey wake up?
Something wey don cast already.

11 Likes

Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by Jowgraphix: 10:04am On Aug 26, 2023
Nothing but the truth
Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by SpatialKing(m): 10:04am On Aug 26, 2023
True

Afrobeat only
sexualizes women
Promotion drugs and smoking
Cultism

31 Likes

Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by Mindlog: 10:04am On Aug 26, 2023
Winner90:

Reggae music is not written nor performed in Queens English but have global appeal.

75 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by emerged01(m): 10:04am On Aug 26, 2023
I no blame them. Na their fans cause am. Dem go dey sing rubbish dem go still dey hail dem. Most of the artist lack good lyrics. Is it not foolishness to say rice is not a good food?

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by Obiribooba(f): 10:05am On Aug 26, 2023
That's not what he said o

4 Likes

Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by crossfm: 10:05am On Aug 26, 2023
Hehehe.

He said nothing but the truth,though it came out harsh.

Most of these music is just noise.

How can somebody be shouting " see Mary,see Jesus,see Mary,see Jesus" ; grin from the beginning of his song till the end and we call it music .

Some of them no da even listen to their lyrics before releasing it.

44 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by marlow1962(m): 10:05am On Aug 26, 2023
Nigerian musicians and rubbish wack songs are 5&6.
Davido sings rubbish
Burnaboy sings rubbish
Wizkid sings rubbish
Aseka abi wertin be him name sings rubbish
Your favorite Nigerian musician songs rubbish.

Wack lyrics with no meaning. It is not their fault, Nigerians as a whole love rubbish so much, that's why the government is dishing out rubbish to them and yet they are comfortable.

Fela is the only and last Nigerian musician with meaningful songs and lyrics, the rest are just bunch of repeat rubbish.

28 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by ReacherSaidNoth: 10:05am On Aug 26, 2023
No lies detected.

6 Likes

Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by reiddecuti: 10:05am On Aug 26, 2023
Bulk of 9ja music got no content. Full of craps.

6 Likes

Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by Adewale1603(m): 10:05am On Aug 26, 2023
Just beat and noise

4 Likes

Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by Sharpsharp00123: 10:06am On Aug 26, 2023
Some people dey try for this naija

I hail people wey dey listen to burna boy n naira marley songs, I don’t like their attitude so it doesn’t make their songs appealing to me

My personal opinion

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by Nobody: 10:06am On Aug 26, 2023
Nobody badmouths Nigeria and the Nigerian music industry more than that Burna Boy. Same Afrobeat genre he used to sing Ye, Gbona etc, he said it lacks substance. The weed and drugs must be affecting his brain.

To top it all, he always insults his Nigerian fans as if they knew him abroad before Nigerians promoted him. Someone who was cursing his Nigerian fans on stage? I pity the people still attending his shows.

67 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by Cjizzy(m): 10:06am On Aug 26, 2023
He's 100% right.
Afrobeat has only a topic but no substance/content/lyrics.
Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by Solofresh2: 10:07am On Aug 26, 2023
It depends on the content of the music though

6 Likes

Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by Winner90: 10:07am On Aug 26, 2023
Mindlog:

Reggae music is not written nor performed in Queens English but have global appeal.
typical raggae songs are not popular in mainstream western culture. That's why I used one love as example.

1 Like

Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by Omoluabi16(m): 10:07am On Aug 26, 2023
Who made burna boy an authority in music? So a few Grammys and he thinks he's all that? The boy is a f***

41 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Afrobeat Is Nothing, Lacks Substance- Burna Boy by Wealthoptulent(m): 10:07am On Aug 26, 2023
Hmm ok

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Naira Marley – Puta (Official Video) / Audio Download - Okpo Records Smooth Criminal Download Free / All Tracklist Of Olamide – Rapsodi First Debut Album

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.