Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,214 members, 7,811,590 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 03:09 PM

How Ruggedman And 9ice Elevated Afrobeat - Mrrights - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / How Ruggedman And 9ice Elevated Afrobeat - Mrrights (8963 Views)

Warri 2pac Disses choc city, EME,Wiz, Erriga, Ruggedman Etc In Beat' Em Up Track / No Ban On Olamide, Davido And 9ice’s Songs - NBC / Olamide’s Wo & Wavy Level, Davido’s IF & Fall And 9ice’s Living Things Banned (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Ruggedman And 9ice Elevated Afrobeat - Mrrights by bilms(m): 12:18am On Dec 19, 2018
How RuggedMan and 9ice elevated Afrobeat - MrRights
https://mrrightsng..com/2018/12/how-ruggedman-and-9ice-elevated-afrobeat.html

10 years ago, after Tuface Idibia had blessed the world with African Queen, two (2) Nigerian Music legends, Ruggedman and 9ice released a popular joint that would change the history of African music in the world forever.

The smashing hit song, titled ‘’Ruggedy Baba’’ was the turning point for afrobeats music, not only in Nigeria, but in Africa as a whole. As you may known, Nigeria is the heart of Africa and where ever Nigeria goes, the rest of Africa follows.

Ruggedy Baba was a song that espoused, bolstered and propagandized the concept of mother tongue in hip hop music, transposing the myth of rappers who often claimed that only those who rap in English like Americans are truly hip hop heads.

The boastful ‘’Ruggedy Baba’’synthesized hip hop music with traditional tune that was not very popular at the time and produce a masterpiece of Afrobeats music that would go on to inspire confidence in the younger generation of African artists and embolden them to confidently incorporate indigenous language into their music.

‘’Atewo mo bala (I spread my palm and see lines), A o mo eni to ko (I don't know who wrote them), that was the first line being chanted by 9ice in the chorus, before he added another line that said, ‘We spit in pigin awon kan n wuko (we spit in pigin and some are unhappy), you better show where you belong’’.

Beyond the sweet tune and local flavour of the track, the central message is a clear call on the people of Africa to jettison the culture of imitating foreign products, particularly music,‘’ Wetin go make them know where your music come from in the long run Na the fussion of grammar, your slang and your mother tongue’’ rapped ruggedman.

The legendary Ruggedman argued that, for a music to be respected in the long run, it has to be in your mother tongue and coming from an artist considered as one of the best rappers at the time, a lot of younger artists craving for fame and identity were forced to listen and act on his wise counsel. This has actually paid off today.

Apart from artists who switched from hardcore to indigenous rap music like Olamide, the CEO of YBNL records, Ruggedy baba also helped increase the confidence of indigenous artist who were always being looked down upon at the time.

In verse 2 of the track, rugged man rap, ‘’I'm tired of so called hip-hop heads whispering that I am not holding it down’’ ‘’Say I don change from the way I be before’’ ‘’Say now I dey spit for pidjin’’, ‘’Dem prefer me when I been be hard core’’ ‘’ Our elders mock our shit, Cos of our too much metaphorical out of space type shit, When some rap, Dem no know where we dey come from, Back then two rappers on stage was like seven throwing a tantrum, We need to change that and put a face to our music, Let the world know where we come from, Let no one abuse it’’.
Ruggedman was very conscious of his message and the intention was to force a change in our perception and priority. He wanted us to change from wanting to sing and sound like Americans, he also wanted us to embrace our local flavor and put a face to our music for the purpose of having our stamp on it for easy recognition.

Ruggedman hold dear, the importance of origin. He actually proposed that ‘’ We need to change and put a face to our music’’. This is basically what afrobeats is all about. Africa existing in its own music and taking ownership of it with confidence.

Having addressed the subject of grammar in the first 2 verses of the track, ruggedman dived into another subject of ‘keeping it real’.
He raps, ‘’ Look my guy, I no fit shout, I go only ask what's keeping it real?

Explaining the meaning of keeping it real, Ruggedman rapped, Is it singing or rapping like Oyibo or doing what you and your own people can feel?

In his view, singing and rapping like Americans doesn’t mean you are keeping it real, it simply means that you are trying to be someone else. So, he concluded by stating the rules, ‘’spit in whatever language but make sense’’.

This rule, as espoused by Ruggedman is what many afrobeat artist have taken to heart ever since and it has elevated afrobeat, from just being a local music to a global and highly sorted tune.

As ruggedman stated, ‘’ Wetin go make them know where your music come from in the long run Na the fussion of grammar, your slang and your mother tongue’’

https://mrrightsng..com/2018/12/how-ruggedman-and-9ice-elevated-afrobeat.html

12 Likes

Re: How Ruggedman And 9ice Elevated Afrobeat - Mrrights by bilms(m): 9:31am On Dec 19, 2018
cool
Re: How Ruggedman And 9ice Elevated Afrobeat - Mrrights by MANNABBQGRILLS: 11:41am On Dec 19, 2018
It depends on which year you look at it from....

Some will say it is from Junior and pretty period.....

Some will say it's during the time of the Remedies.....

Some will go back to the time of Daniel Wilson, Kris Okotie, Blakky etc.....

Some will say what you just typed.....

So, we believe it's relative!

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Ruggedman And 9ice Elevated Afrobeat - Mrrights by Flexherbal(m): 11:42am On Dec 19, 2018
They are all playing their part.

The future generation may do it differently.

4 Likes

Re: How Ruggedman And 9ice Elevated Afrobeat - Mrrights by ednut1(m): 11:42am On Dec 19, 2018
In Jonathan's voice this is not correct

3 Likes

Re: How Ruggedman And 9ice Elevated Afrobeat - Mrrights by Nobody: 11:42am On Dec 19, 2018
grin
Re: How Ruggedman And 9ice Elevated Afrobeat - Mrrights by yemmight(m): 11:43am On Dec 19, 2018
Oju koro.
Re: How Ruggedman And 9ice Elevated Afrobeat - Mrrights by Blackfire(m): 11:43am On Dec 19, 2018
When Igbo and Yoruba collabo ,na revolution...

But myopic hatred has blinded our eyes...

17 Likes

Re: How Ruggedman And 9ice Elevated Afrobeat - Mrrights by yimikaa: 11:44am On Dec 19, 2018
This post is sponsored by ........ cheesy

1 Like

Re: How Ruggedman And 9ice Elevated Afrobeat - Mrrights by spiritofthedead: 11:44am On Dec 19, 2018
Ff
Re: How Ruggedman And 9ice Elevated Afrobeat - Mrrights by Princedapace(m): 11:44am On Dec 19, 2018
Nice writeup

Any ways, if u are interested in learning how to earn money online, kindly check out my profile and read my thread on how I make money online.

Freelancing is growing all over the world. It remains one of the best ways to earn side or full time income. To do well as a freelancer, u must learn competitive skill, learn to brand your self, package your brand and send out compelling proposals..
Well, I can teach u all these if u are interested.. Check my profile and read my thread on freelancing..
Re: How Ruggedman And 9ice Elevated Afrobeat - Mrrights by BruncleZuma: 11:45am On Dec 19, 2018
grin grin grin grin
Re: How Ruggedman And 9ice Elevated Afrobeat - Mrrights by dhebz2pon(m): 11:45am On Dec 19, 2018
Ruggedy baba opomulero

1 Like

Re: How Ruggedman And 9ice Elevated Afrobeat - Mrrights by yinkeys(m): 11:47am On Dec 19, 2018
post=73985666:
It depends on which year you look at it from....

Some will say it is from Junior and pretty period.....

Some will say it's during the time of the Remedies.....

Some will go back to the time of Daniel Wilson, Kris Okotie etc.....

Some will say what you just typed.....

So, we believe it's relative!
Your statement made me remember Baba Fryo

5 Likes

Re: How Ruggedman And 9ice Elevated Afrobeat - Mrrights by agadez007(m): 11:47am On Dec 19, 2018
Nonsense post

When Owen gee sang "Daddy mo",9ice or rugged man never dream to start music so how did they embolden others to start using their indigenous languages

1 Like

Re: How Ruggedman And 9ice Elevated Afrobeat - Mrrights by MANNABBQGRILLS: 11:48am On Dec 19, 2018
yinkeys:

Your statement made me remember Baba Fryo
We remember too!
Re: How Ruggedman And 9ice Elevated Afrobeat - Mrrights by Ilefoaye(m): 11:48am On Dec 19, 2018
Xmas is coming happy sale
Re: How Ruggedman And 9ice Elevated Afrobeat - Mrrights by PStacks(m): 11:48am On Dec 19, 2018
How Rugged man and 9ice slept with Tony Paine.

shikenan.

a more appropriate header next time Op.

1 Like

Re: How Ruggedman And 9ice Elevated Afrobeat - Mrrights by Nobody: 11:50am On Dec 19, 2018
Check siggy.
Re: How Ruggedman And 9ice Elevated Afrobeat - Mrrights by TheCurse: 11:55am On Dec 19, 2018

1 Like

Re: How Ruggedman And 9ice Elevated Afrobeat - Mrrights by ObaKlaz: 11:55am On Dec 19, 2018
WHERE IS MODE 9?
Re: How Ruggedman And 9ice Elevated Afrobeat - Mrrights by StOla: 11:55am On Dec 19, 2018
agadez007:
Nonsense post

When Owen gee sang "Daddy mo",9ice or rugged man never dream to start music so how did they embolden others to start using their indigenous languages

It's not Owen Gee that sang "Daddy Moh", it's Ollie Gee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JN9ZBk_GSkA

1 Like

Re: How Ruggedman And 9ice Elevated Afrobeat - Mrrights by Triangles1(m): 11:56am On Dec 19, 2018
You're right, I agree with you 99% bcs does comment above me, they dont have valid point to go against your write up, so therefore kudos to Ruggedy baba, Nice, Tuface for enlightened the heart of Africa from what Baba Fela anikulapo kuti has done for Afro music as a whole. Two head is better than one, I believed in Igbos and Yorubas collaboration, this two are the engine that rocks Nigeria boat but politics has to divide us by ethnicity.

2 Likes

Re: How Ruggedman And 9ice Elevated Afrobeat - Mrrights by crazygod(m): 11:56am On Dec 19, 2018
I believe likes of Lord of Ajasa had started way before nice and rugged man.

1 Like

Re: How Ruggedman And 9ice Elevated Afrobeat - Mrrights by Lexusgs430: 11:57am On Dec 19, 2018
They elevated and it left them behind....... Indeed....
Re: How Ruggedman And 9ice Elevated Afrobeat - Mrrights by ayayamedia(m): 12:00pm On Dec 19, 2018
This guys were part of the people that change the face of our music.
Re: How Ruggedman And 9ice Elevated Afrobeat - Mrrights by Opinionated: 12:02pm On Dec 19, 2018
LOL

See what Mr Eazi has to say on who is influencing who.
Re: How Ruggedman And 9ice Elevated Afrobeat - Mrrights by Nobody: 12:02pm On Dec 19, 2018
grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

A Soldier In The Nigerian Army Yet A Talented Singer/producer / Pasuma Set To Release Hip Hop Album / Live Interview With Blackface On New Album

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.