Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,627 members, 7,813,065 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 06:12 AM

Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? (16492 Views)

Wife Sent Packing For Questioning Husband Over Her Mother-in-law's Visit / Lady Empties The House After Husband Sent Her Packing (Photos) / My Wife Sent Her Nude Photos To Zenith Bank Manager In Delta - Man Cries Out (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by lawrenzoo: 6:42pm On Aug 26, 2023
Good day, Nairaland families. I would appreciate it if mature and responsible families in the house could enlighten me on this. My son is only 7 years and 4 months old, and I allow him and his 5 year old sister to do minor chores such as making their beds when they wake up, sweeping their rooms to some extent, taking their plates to the kitchen after eating, and brushing their teeth at night. However, there is one thing I frown upon in the house, "Sending a young guy of his age on street errands," but I discovered that my wife finds it so easy to do so.

Most times my wife would want to get simple stuff like detergent and so, she calls him which i do stop from happening most times since i am of a personal opinion that it is rather too unsafe for him and he should not be sent on an errand alone until he is at least 10years old and above.

Please i want to know if I am simply the one overreacting and too overprotective OR a child of that age should not be sent on an errand?

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by TemplarLandry: 6:44pm On Aug 26, 2023
A 7-year-old boy is too young to be sent on errands in my opinion. You should let him clock 9 and above before sending him to buy things.

69 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by Reinamaria(f): 6:48pm On Aug 26, 2023
You mean you're already teaching your son to disobey your wife -his mother?

Anyway, it depends on the area you're living in.

81 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by Kobojunkie: 6:50pm On Aug 26, 2023
lawrenzoo:
Good day, Nairaland families. I would appreciate it if mature and responsible families in the house could enlighten me on this. My son is only 7 years and 4 months old, and I allow him and his 5 year old sister to do minor chores such as making their beds when they wake up, sweeping their rooms to some extent, taking their plates to the kitchen after eating, and brushing their teeth at night. However, there is one thing I frown upon in the house, "Sending a young guy of his age on street errands," but I discovered that my wife finds it so easy to do so.
Most times my wife would want to get simple stuff like detergent and so, she calls him which i do stop from happening most times since i am of a personal opinion that it is rather too unsafe for him and he should not be sent on an errand alone until he is at least 10years old and above.
Please i want to know if I am simply the one overreacting and too overprotective OR a child of that age should not be sent on an errand?
If you have access to Netflix, I suggest you binge-watch the two seasons of the show called Old Enough, a Japanese show that features children much younger than your kids being sent out on errands. undecided

If you are scared for their safety, then I would suggest you instead follow them from a couple of steps away to guard the kids from afar when they are out on such errands. I don't think you should stop them. undecided

98 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by izonborn098(m): 6:55pm On Aug 26, 2023
Doing work within the house is a good one i love that...
But don't send him/her to across the road... You can send him to the shops within close by....
Even today i don't send my 9yrs younger brother across the road except within the territory... Because any mistake' u go explain tire...

78 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by Romanoff(f): 6:56pm On Aug 26, 2023
As much as children of these days will be tech savvy and book smart, I fear a lot of them will not be Street smart. At age 7, he's not too young to be sent on an errand. You and your wife should give your children security and environmental awareness tips. At this age, they should have a fear of not wandering from where they were sent.

As long as it's within the neighbourhood, I feel it's okay o.

136 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by Kingosytex(m): 6:57pm On Aug 26, 2023
How can a child of 7 years be sent to the streets to do what exactly?
That is child abuse... Whatever happened to the safety of the child?
Why expose the kid to all forms of hazards?
The kid might be kidnapped or hit by a vehicle.
Shey the mama no feel pains during child birth? Shey being pregnant for 9 months na joke to her?

There's no issue with a 7 year old performing some minor chores in the house but going to the streets is way out of it.

23 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by Osobi32(m): 7:06pm On Aug 26, 2023
Reinamaria:

There's no excuse, a 7yr old boy is old enough to run errands. Na so them dey spoil children then come back to cry.

42 Likes

Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by illicit(m): 7:12pm On Aug 26, 2023
Times have changed tho

When I was 7, I was going to my barber and tailor alone

I run personal errands for my dad too

On our street

76 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by TimT: 7:26pm On Aug 26, 2023
I actually see nothing wrong in sending a 7 year old child an errand...
Although I agree with what has been said that "Across the main express is a no no", but within the street is okay....
You see ehn, social interaction and welfare is important in a child's life, so it's good to let them interact with their surroundings....
A 7yr old child should be in pry 2 or 3... at those age, if their school is close by, they can be coming back by theirself with their friends...
So going to buy things will make them know how to interact with their surroundings by conversing with the sellers, knowing items...

And above all, never stop your child from going on errands in the presence of their mother.....

32 Likes

Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by lawrenzoo: 7:43pm On Aug 26, 2023
Reinamaria:

Mind you, most of those discussions are not in front of him, i only do kick against it as soon as i am aware my wife wants to send him on errand not when the boy is with her.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by lawrenzoo: 7:45pm On Aug 26, 2023
Kobojunkie:
If you have access to Netflix, I suggest you binge-watch the two seasons of the show called Old Enough, a Japanese show that features children much younger than your kids being sent out on errands. undecided

If you are scared for their safety, then I would suggest you instead follow them from a couple of steps away to guard the kids from afar when they are out on such errands. I don't think you should stop them. undecided

I agree with you on this, but not like totally leaving them to go on such errand without monitoring them.
Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by lawrenzoo: 7:50pm On Aug 26, 2023
Kingosytex:
How can a child of 7 years be sent to the streets to do what exactly?
That is child abuse... Whatever happened to the safety of the child?
Why expose the kid to all forms of hazards?
The kid might be kidnapped or hit by a vehicle.
Shey the mama no feel pains during child birth? Shey being pregnant for 9 months na joke to her?

There's no issue with a 7 year old performing some minor chores in the house but going to the streets is way out of it.

Exact Opinion i have too, i just wanted to be sure of my actions because I understand we both have equal rights over the child and i don't want to be that bossy man in the house.

1 Like

Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by ikeno(m): 7:52pm On Aug 26, 2023
It's not advisable to send a child on an errand where there are vehicular movement cause it endangers them.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by lawrenzoo: 7:56pm On Aug 26, 2023
Osobi32:
There's no excuse, a 7yr old boy is old enough to run errands. Na so them dey spoil children then come back to cry.

They get spoilt when you do not train them in the way of the Lord, so far these children know their God, his teachings, fear him, respect their parent, then there is nothing that can spoil them, because through the teachings from the word of God and proper guidiance by their parents, they will surely be ok. What i am concerned about here is not that it's bad sending your child on an errand, but the safety of the child of that age is the main concern.

5 Likes

Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by NairalandSARS: 7:59pm On Aug 26, 2023
The kids that come to buy stuff from my shop are most times below 7.

I coule cross roads at age 3. Mtcheww

2 Likes

Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by Ensa777(f): 8:23pm On Aug 26, 2023
My husband had reservations like you until he was in a fix one day and our 7 yr old took him to the next street to the Gen. mechanic grin,he come weak.
Nothing wrong with it. My son of 7 runs errands in my street and also takes his siblings to Barb their hair and church .Thats how we were raised.
It helps them to be money and street smart early.I started at 5 though.
I'm not ready to raise indoor children wey be say when they are released from their cage (house)they'll be behaving like mumu or afraid of the streets.
Let him go biko and destress your wife.Start with the shops in your neighborhood.

49 Likes

Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by Kobojunkiee: 8:36pm On Aug 26, 2023
lawrenzoo:
I agree with you on this, but not like totally leaving them to go on such errand without monitoring them.
Ofcourse, monitor them for as long as you need to until you are certain they no longer need hand-holding. undecided

2 Likes

Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by Osobi32(m): 8:43pm On Aug 26, 2023
lawrenzoo:

They get spoilt when you do not train them in the way of the Lord, so far these children know their God, his teachings, fear him, respect their parent, then there is nothing that can spoil them, because through the teachings from the word of God and proper guidiance by their parents, they will surely be ok. What i am concerned about here is not that it's bad sending your child on an errand, but the safety of the child of that age is the main concern.
From the look of things, am not sure u are in Nigeria. When it comes to raising a child, I don't argue with anyone living outside Nigeria or Africa

6 Likes

Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by Yemike(m): 11:32pm On Aug 26, 2023
It depends on how smart the kids are. Some 5 year old are smart enough to be sent on errands and they'll deliver pretty well.

I know a boy while growing up, he should be around 6yrs I sent him 5 naira kuli-kuli he cut the 5 into 2 equal parts eats 5 and bring the remaining half and sometimes he'll hid 5 naira change inside his dirty pants.

If you're talking about the streets 7 is very old but butty, 7 is very small.

8 Likes

Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by eepeepook: 2:35am On Aug 27, 2023
Come to an understanding with your wife. Left to me, I'll wait till ten years old before sending them on errands.

1 Like

Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by Acidosis(m): 4:22am On Aug 27, 2023
Do what works for you. Many 7 year old kids in Lagos jump buses, okada, and keke to school on their own. Errand na small thing. Meanwhile, in some families, kids don't go to school without their parents in the same chaotic Lagos. There's no principal manual.

The only bad thing is that you and your wife are yet to come to an agreement. Every form of disrespect has consequences.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by 1Sharon(f): 6:12am On Aug 27, 2023
Why can't the parents go on the errands themselves

1 Like

Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by MarketDispatch: 6:18am On Aug 27, 2023
lawrenzoo:
Good day, Nairaland families. I would appreciate it if mature and responsible

We were sent on errands in the era when there was no mobile phones to reach a child. Go to market, go to the Malam next street, go and buy Sugar, Omo, etc etc, and we also went to play football with our friends in the streets and ride bicycles etc. But then, times have changed... people are more afraid in this era of Mobile phones.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by Gadafii: 8:21am On Aug 27, 2023
Kobojunkie:

is Nigeria safe like Japan, are kids being grabbed off the streets and sold off or used for rituals in Japan like it’s done in NAIJA, make some of ina Dey realistic for once

Even as adult was kidnapped or hypnotized in this Nigerian on her way to a job interview in her state, Wetin come be 7yo boy

Op, you need to have a serious discussion with your wife on this issue and let her see the reason, better safe than sorry oo

Also the type of neighborhood you are in determine, so you definitely know better than many of these nairalander telling you it’s ok to send him out, na you born your pikin, if your not ok with it, na you know why, so no listen to them

22 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by falcon01: 8:22am On Aug 27, 2023
lawrenzoo:

I know it's all about safety, but you can send them in errands near the house or have your eyes on them when they leave till they reach there. Teach them how to handle stranger, don't talk to a stranger teach them when someone stops you run home straight and other survival techniques, it's tough out there and they have to learn else they'll grow up and have no idea how to tackle any issue. Bottom line send them on errands where they are in eyesight until he matures to do it on his own

8 Likes

Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by Gadafii: 8:24am On Aug 27, 2023
NairalandSARS:
The kids that come to buy stuff from my shop are most times below 7.

I coule cross roads at age 3. Mtcheww
you could cross road at three khe😢😢

Which village did you grow up in because if na urban settlements, I pity you oo

adults around seeing a 3 yo crossing road will raise alarm, slow down with this your lie please

10 Likes

Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by onumadu: 8:28am On Aug 27, 2023
Back in the day, it used to be safe, but the days are getting evil.
So, please try to keep explaining to your wife that the days are not as they used to be.
An intelligent woman wouldn't need to be told these things.
That is why it is very important to marry an intelligent woman.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by Ndipe(m): 8:58am On Aug 27, 2023
A 7 year old child is too young to be sent on errand unless it is within the neighborhood especially in this era of kidnapping. Wait till they are older. Better safe than sorry.

1 Like

Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by Nobody: 9:35am On Aug 27, 2023
I know a four years old girl that's already running errands.. grin grin grin.. But she's only sent somewhere close by and the parents would stand outside to watch her.

One time they tied money on her so that she can go and give to the neighbor...😂😂😂

7 Likes

Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by 1Sharon(f): 9:50am On Aug 27, 2023
Samantha124:
I know a four years old girl that's already running errands.. grin grin grin.. But she's only sent somewhere close by and the parents would stand outside to watch her.

One time they tied money on her so that she can go and give to the neighbor...😂😂😂

That's so cute 🥺

1 Like

Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by ChybuzzDD(m): 10:04am On Aug 27, 2023
Reinamaria:

You female folks always have a way of reasoning things upside down.

It's not always about you.

The security and safety of such a young child in an unsafe country like Nigeria must be considered over the mother's selfish interest on obedience and respect.

10 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Nigerian Men Dont Know How To Be Men!! / What Would You Do If You Find A Used Condom Wrapper In Your Matrimonial Bedroom? / Husband Paid His Wife House Rent For Good 10 Years: Unknownly

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.