Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,927 members, 7,835,095 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 03:56 AM

Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? (16623 Views)

Wife Sent Packing For Questioning Husband Over Her Mother-in-law's Visit / Lady Empties The House After Husband Sent Her Packing (Photos) / My Wife Sent Her Nude Photos To Zenith Bank Manager In Delta - Man Cries Out (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by Offpoint1: 12:06pm On Aug 27, 2023
lawrenzoo:

Mind you, most of those discussions are not in front of him, i only do kick against it as soon as i am aware my wife wants to send him on errand not when the boy is with her.
Baba don turn your child to dundee, let that child be street smart.

Unless there's an express or busy road in between your street... Let the kid go out an interact with his environment.
Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by onadana: 12:07pm On Aug 27, 2023
Ensa777:
My husband had reservations like you until he was in a fix one day and our 7 yr old took him to the next street to the Gen. mechanic grin,he come weak.
Nothing wrong with it. My son of 7 runs errands in my street and also takes his siblings to Barb their hair and church .Thats how we were raised.
It helps them to be money and street smart early.I started at 5 though.
I'm not ready to raise indoor children wey be say when they are released from their cage (house)they'll be behaving like mumu or afraid of the streets.
Let him go biko and destress your wife.Start with the shops in your neighborhood.

Street smart is a mentality of the poor vis a vis the average mind. What is street smart..?Are Dangote or Otedola or Adeleke's children street smart?Street smart or street wise is the language of the poor.Your time is not your children's generation.Let this children breath.

1 Like

Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by aQUINandmore: 12:07pm On Aug 27, 2023
Kobojunkie:
If you have access to Netflix, I suggest you binge-watch the two seasons of the show called Old Enough, a Japanese show that features children much younger than your kids being sent out on errands. undecided

If you are scared for their safety, then I would suggest you instead follow them from a couple of steps away to guard the kids from afar when they are out on such errands. I don't think you should stop them. undecided
it's not reasonable to compare the Japanese society to ours, aside the fact that Japan have the culture of teaching their kids on self reliance, japanese kids cook their school meals themselves and self themselves too, they learn to clean and do many other things at a very young age and that's their culture and way of life.
how would you compare a Japanese society where an 80 years old has never experience theft, pick pocket or kidnapping once to nigeria where skull mining, kidnapping and other vices are normal daily occurrences cool

1 Like

Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by Trustedpronet: 12:11pm On Aug 27, 2023
you've been over protective. Though if the errand service requires road crossing or high population of bikes it might not be right to send him. Night is also dangerous.
Children can surprise you any... because i remember where I use to visit when I was 6-8years old.
It also depends on the child...there are smart 7 that can handle complex situations.
Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by spiritedtete: 12:14pm On Aug 27, 2023
lawrenzoo:

Mind you, most of those discussions are not in front of him, i only do kick against it as soon as i am aware my wife wants to send him on errand not when the boy is with her.

If your wife is so desperate sending your son on errand, she should follow up at close proximity. I have a son of your son's age. I will never allow him go alone to the store. I do follow him and watch him buy and pay while I watch like a stranger. NIgeria is not even safe anymore to allow 7 year old boy on the street.

1 Like

Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by Enculer2: 12:16pm On Aug 27, 2023
Some Nigerians are too dumb to reason.

What if the child never returns?
Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by IbileIfe: 12:20pm On Aug 27, 2023
NO.
Anyone who cares for the safety and security of his or her child will not send the child on any errand.
Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by ChybuzzDD(m): 12:20pm On Aug 27, 2023
Alexiiydon:
because south east is not secure doesn’t mean other regions is not secure

What's the incidence of disappearance of children in the southeast, relative to your own region, you hypocrite??

Which region is frequently in the news for beheading children, women and men for rituals?

Do the insecurity and criminal practices which include ritual killings spare sny rrgion in Nigeria?

Are people from your region not amongst those running out of Nigeria with insecurity as one of their major excuses?

Do you have any statistics to prove your own region is spared?

Idiots like you turn every thread into tribal war ground

1 Like

Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by ibrosemberlon: 12:26pm On Aug 27, 2023
It depends on the location.
Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by Opanka44(m): 12:27pm On Aug 27, 2023
Reinamaria:
You mean you're already teaching your son to disobey your wife -his mother?

Anyway, it depends on the area you're living in.

Didn't u read what the op wrote there or u simply can't comprehend? Why would a responsible father teach his child to disobey his mum? The man only called his wife's attention to the insecurity associated with sending a 7yeear old child on errands in the street.
Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by olancho: 12:30pm On Aug 27, 2023
To me I send my son who is 8 now on errand to buy me recharge card and also buy himself snacks I started sending him since he was 7. He makes his bed, sweep and arrange his room. He will be attending boarding school so it is good I teach him all this now. At 13 I have started traveling long distance journeys alone because of the secondary school I attended in the 80s/90s when Nigeria was good.

2 Likes

Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by dapadawee: 12:30pm On Aug 27, 2023
MichaelSokoto:

10 yrs is too small naa!
let's wait 4 dem to reach 20 or 25 first naa!
Errandbuse ko!
Well am not an ignorant person.
Under law if you send your pikin we're be under 10 go message if motor jam am. No case shebi you hear
Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by Birminghamvirgo(m): 12:35pm On Aug 27, 2023
At age 7, I was already hawking... Depending on your neighborhood and how you train your child

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by AdaAwka1: 12:36pm On Aug 27, 2023
lawrenzoo:
Good day, Nairaland families. I would appreciate it if mature and responsible families in the house could enlighten me on this. My son is only 7 years and 4 months old, and I allow him and his 5 year old sister to do minor chores such as making their beds when they wake up, sweeping their rooms to some extent, taking their plates to the kitchen after eating, and brushing their teeth at night. However, there is one thing I frown upon in the house, "Sending a young guy of his age on street errands," but I discovered that my wife finds it so easy to do so.

Most times my wife would want to get simple stuff like detergent and so, she calls him which i do stop from happening most times since i am of a personal opinion that it is rather too unsafe for him and he should not be sent on an errand alone until he is at least 10years old and above.

Please i want to know if I am simply the one overreacting and too overprotective OR a child of that age should not be sent on an errand?

Teach them early. Let them learn to be independent and hardworking very early. Nothing wrong with sending a 7yr old on errand, but not too far ls also make sure Yr environment is a good one.
Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by ebbo(m): 12:37pm On Aug 27, 2023
Do u want your boy to become a Dundee or a mumu right? Give him street awareness from a tender age. But protect ur daughter and give her soft life.
Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by LINSAR: 12:41pm On Aug 27, 2023
Kobojunkie:
If you have access to Netflix, I suggest you binge-watch the two seasons of the show called Old Enough, a Japanese show that features children much younger than your kids being sent out on errands. undecided

If you are scared for their safety, then I would suggest you instead follow them from a couple of steps away to guard the kids from afar when they are out on such errands. I don't think you should stop them. undecided

Is Japan not safer than Nigeria?

You sef!
Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by LINSAR: 12:44pm On Aug 27, 2023
Osobi32:
There's no excuse, a 7yr old boy is old enough to run errands. Na so them dey spoil children then come back to cry.

He isn't talking about being old enough. He is talking about their safety.

Even when with your kids on the road, you still have to tell them to leave the road for an incoming vehicle. Now imagine you aren't there.

Also, they can easily be lured away by strangers and be kidnapped.
Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by Christistruth03: 12:53pm On Aug 27, 2023
Not even a 12 year old girl

Not in a Nation where even Police are going missing

Many people are not ok
Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by Collins4u1(m): 12:54pm On Aug 27, 2023
except your son is a Dull human, at 7 he should be running those tiny errands for his mother.

Another factor is the environment, if it's a busy neighborhood with high vehicular movement, then it can be risky.

Catch them young!

1 Like

Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by Procashtips(m): 12:55pm On Aug 27, 2023
Kobojunkie:

You're comparing Japan with Nigeria?

In safety, security, civilization and orderliness?

Infact how do you even compare both?
Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by Kobojunkiee: 12:59pm On Aug 27, 2023
Gadafii:
is Nigeria safe like Japan, are kids being grabbed off the streets and sold off or used for rituals in Japan like it’s done in NAIJA, make some of ina Dey realistic for once
Even as adult was kidnapped or hypnotized in this Nigerian on her way to a job interview in her state, Wetin come be 7yo boy
Op, you need to have a serious discussion with your wife on this issue and let her see the reason, better safe than sorry oo
Also the type of neighborhood you are in determine, so you definitely know better than many of these nairalander telling you it’s ok to send him out, na you born your pikin, if your not ok with it, na you know why, so no listen to them
Why una no dey read for Pete's sake..

If you are scared for their safety, then I would suggest you instead follow them from a couple of steps away to guard the kids from afar when they are out on such errands. I don't think you should stop them.

If fear of insecurity will deprive you of raising a child with healthy social intelligence then why bother having a child in the first place in that environment? undecided
Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by isabi2lof: 1:00pm On Aug 27, 2023
There's nothing wrong in that , teach them the basic security awareness, it will also help them to be street wise ..
Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by Kobojunkiee: 1:02pm On Aug 27, 2023
Procashtips:
You're comparing Japan with Nigeria?
In safety, security, civilization and orderliness?
Infact how do you even compare both?
Open your eyes please
Kobojunkie:

if insecurity stops you from raising a child with healthy social intelligence why not also let it stop you from having a child altogether? undecided
Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by Kobojunkiee: 1:02pm On Aug 27, 2023
LINSAR:
Is Japan not safer than Nigeria?You sef!
Learn to read abeg!
Kobojunkie:

if insecurity stops you from raising a child with healthy social intelligence why not also let it stop you from having a child altogether?
Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by kkins25(m): 1:03pm On Aug 27, 2023
rickleye:

What year 1985 ?
Plus you were not trekking alone but with a group. Let the child be a child until he/she shows the capacity to do.
2000s sir.
Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by Kobojunkiee: 1:03pm On Aug 27, 2023
aQUINandmore:
it's not reasonable to compare the Japanese society to ours, aside the fact that Japan have the culture of teaching their kids on self reliance, japanese kids cook their school meals themselves and self themselves too, they learn to clean and do many other things at a very young age and that's their culture and way of life.
how would you compare a Japanese society where an 80 years old has never experience theft, pick pocket or kidnapping once to nigeria where skull mining, kidnapping and other vices are normal daily occurrences cool
Learn to read abeg!
Kobojunkie:

if fear of insecurity stops you from raising a child with healthy social intelligence why not also let it stop you from having a child altogether? undecided
Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by ade4real2016: 1:04pm On Aug 27, 2023
Sincerely, you're a perfect description of a responsible father... However, going by ya analysis,l think l should input my opinion using what happens in my house as a case study...I started gradually by sending my 8yr old daughter now 10yr on errand beside my house in broad day light...Over time,l will stand by d road side watching over her if she's going like few yards away from my house but now l allow her go alone to those places without staying by d entrance gate watching her but with strict warning that it's dangerous to talk to strangers...The only thing l will never tolerate is sending under 10yr old on errand in d night...We must remember we live in a wicked world now where criminals lurk n roam d street looking for vulnerable children...Am very certain some parents here my have divergent views on this but l will state here that,it is better to stay at home peacefully than having sleepless nights all in d name of giving my children independence...My candid advice...
Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by Kobojunkiee: 1:05pm On Aug 27, 2023
Harrynight:
My heart bleeds when we talk about certain things Ilin nigeria people bring in comparison from sane countries

We talking about nigeria here bro... I'm a Security consultant, from my experience in physical security management bro, I would tell u it's not safe for kids of that age sending them errands on nigeria streets
Learn to read abeg!
Kobojunkie:

Also, if insecurity stops you from raising a child with healthy social intelligence why not also let it stop you from having a child altogether? undecided
Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by Kobojunkiee: 1:05pm On Aug 27, 2023
phorget:
Japan is different from Nigeria, I wont personally send a child of that age on any errand outside the home. Even my daughter of 10years wont still go beyond 2 poles on her own.
Learn to read to save your life abeg! undecided
Kobojunkie:

if fear of insecurity stops you from raising a child with healthy social intelligence why not also let it stop you from having a child altogether? undecided
Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by Kobojunkiee: 1:07pm On Aug 27, 2023
gohf:
you are comparing a Japanese show to Nigeria reality 🤣
Learn to read abeg!
Kobojunkie:

if fear of insecurity stops you from raising a child with healthy social intelligence why not also let it stop you from having a child altogether?
Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by Kobojunkiee: 1:08pm On Aug 27, 2023
grandstar:
■ You show Japanese society where kidnapping and even crime in general is so low that the police do not have enough to do?
This isn't Japan. Kidnapping and ritual killings are common place here.
In the Scandinavian countries, mothers leave their babies in cots outside when they enter saloons to do their hair.
These are safe countries. I know you meant well. Nigeria is still too dangerous. When a kid is 8 or 9, sending him on errands should be okay.
Learn to read abeg.
Kobojunkie:

Re: Should A Child Of This Age Be Sent On An Errand? by Procashtips(m): 1:11pm On Aug 27, 2023
Kobojunkiee:
Open your eyes please
if insecurity stops you from raising a child with healthy social intelligence why not also let it stop you from having a child altogether? undecided

Why should he follow them?
Of what use is the errand then?

The OP is talking about the age, not about the rest you listed.

At least 10 is okay outside the house.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Husband Disappears As Wife Gives Birth To Twins In Abuja / Help Save Mama Kazeem / Help! My Wife Has A Flaccid Boobs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.