Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,326 members, 7,829,828 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 12:17 PM

Top 10 Longest-serving African Presidents - Foreign Affairs (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Top 10 Longest-serving African Presidents (45235 Views)

Longest Serving African Presidents / Silvio Berlusconi Is Dead! (italy's Longest-serving Leader Dies At 86) / Queen Elizabeth II: World Leaders Pay Tribute To Uk's Longest-serving Monarch (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Top 10 Longest-serving African Presidents by nairalanda1(m): 3:47pm On Sep 01, 2023
anonymous1759:

Bro everything is not written in black and white Queen Elizabeth was powerful more than any prime minister in the uk forget paper talk.
They play behind the scenes doesn’t mean they’re weakened. Please research about the wealth of the royal family in the uk before you say they’re not powerful.

Monarchy European, Arab nations , Africa are the same thing. The only difference is that Arab , Europeans, Asians have better management than Africa monarchs their people have higher standard of living compared to Africa.

Actually, the UK monarch has less powers than they did in say the 17th century.

In 1649, the then King was beheaded by his people. 13 years later , his son was on the throne, but he kind of signed an agreement....In 1688, the then king was kicked out and replaced with his niece and her husband. And so forth.

Most of the power in the UK is held by the Parliament, and the PM. The current monarch is basically ceremonial. Ya think the Monarchs of the UK wanted the colonies to go? Nope. But the PM and company then decided.

It is the same thing with most European monarchs.

Once upon a time, a European monarch could do and undo. Now, they can't. Their kids can even be called as witnesses in court cases, and be sued.

It's because you don't read history. If you did, and you saw how many European monarchs have been removed, especially countries like France, Rossiya and Germany...and even Austria and Hungary....and Greece...all had kings, all gone now....compared to the power they used to hold centuries ago, you go see.
Re: Top 10 Longest-serving African Presidents by Successlane: 3:53pm On Sep 01, 2023
mmmm
Re: Top 10 Longest-serving African Presidents by Successlane: 3:54pm On Sep 01, 2023
Brendaniel:
For me I don't have problem with the number of terms or longevity of a president, as long as he is offering good governance, even if he stays as a life time president, what is the benefit of changing president every 4 years and each successive president destroys the country further.

Bring a good man that will offer good governance to Nigeria, if he like let him be Chinese, Indian or any tribe from Nigeria, I will give him my support

I whole heartedly support that

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Longest-serving African Presidents by OKORONKWOBRIGHT(m): 3:55pm On Sep 01, 2023
the King s are not supposed to be among the list the are not elected

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Longest-serving African Presidents by lexy2014: 3:55pm On Sep 01, 2023
ijustdey:

https://leadership.ng/top-10-longest-serving-african-presidents/

The heading or topic is misleading. It says "African presidents" but then it is including the kings of Morocco, mswatini and Lesotho. Those are monarchs. When did Monarchs become presidents?

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Longest-serving African Presidents by lexy2014: 3:56pm On Sep 01, 2023
OKORONKWOBRIGHT:
the King s are not supposed to be among the list the are not elected

I thought I was the only one who noticed

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Longest-serving African Presidents by lexy2014: 3:59pm On Sep 01, 2023
chopnaira:

Abdusalami is still respected today in Nigeria because he is the only military ruler in perhaps African history to relinquish power.

Where did you learn this history?
Re: Top 10 Longest-serving African Presidents by McLizbae: 4:00pm On Sep 01, 2023
Chai Cameroon! Paul Biya don rule that country out... If not for soccer, the world may not know that country exist.

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Longest-serving African Presidents by oyatainer(m): 4:01pm On Sep 01, 2023
NaijaSumigan:
I never imagined that Nigeria will get to a point where we would wish we had a Military regime as government.

Democracy isn't working for us in Nigeria. What we have are corrupt politicians without solution. They don't know anything as it concerns governance and what you don't have, you can't give.

Since I was a child till this very moment, it has been same complaints and same set of corrupt fools parading themselves as messiah's but once they get power, it becomes obvious they came for selfish means.

We need to re-evaluate the kind of governance we are practicing cos it's obvious Democracy isn't the way forward for Nigerians.

I strongly advocate for a Military regime in Nigeria...

If military is the determinant of development, Africa would be the most developed continent of the world. The highest numbers of military takeover in the world happened in Africa. What have they done. Our country is the true reflection of what we have in the Fg system now. If you are there tomorrow, what difference can you make? Thats the problem. Who on earth can you trust again if the like of Osinbanjo couldnt do anything spectacular?
Re: Top 10 Longest-serving African Presidents by omooba969(m): 4:01pm On Sep 01, 2023
anonymous1759:

Those monarchs should be removed from the list . Gulf countries practice monarchy , Europe and Asian. Stop making it seems like monarchy is bad in Africa but good in other nations .

👍
Re: Top 10 Longest-serving African Presidents by lexy2014: 4:05pm On Sep 01, 2023
LegendHero:
I think it has more to do with actual performance. It’s not only Africa that we have longest serving presidents. But the main thing is that what did they achieved.

—Russia president for almost 23 years.
—Turkey president now serving for 20 years.
—Singapore president serving for almost 20 years
—Ireland president now serving 12 years
—Chinese president now almost 11 years

The president of Ireland is actually a ceremonial president. It's the PM that has executive powers
Re: Top 10 Longest-serving African Presidents by SALLYBERRY01(m): 4:10pm On Sep 01, 2023
Kings shouldn’t be included.
Re: Top 10 Longest-serving African Presidents by gabbasin: 4:37pm On Sep 01, 2023
We have ceremonial monarch different from absolute monarch, remove the ceremonial monarch from the list. Queen Elizabeth did not rule, she reigned
Re: Top 10 Longest-serving African Presidents by Raf4: 4:56pm On Sep 01, 2023
At some point, Gnassingbe Eyadema of Togo was the longest serving President, at another time it was Mobutu Seseseko of Congo.
Re: Top 10 Longest-serving African Presidents by King3urna(m): 4:58pm On Sep 01, 2023
anonymous1759:

Those monarchs should be removed from the list . Gulf countries practice monarchy , Europe and Asian. Stop making it seems like monarchy is bad in Africa but good in other nations .

Exactly what I wanted to say

2 Likes

Re: Top 10 Longest-serving African Presidents by Reference(m): 5:01pm On Sep 01, 2023
anonymous1759:

They are equally bad. The purpose of democracy is the diversity of ideas and visions leadership brings to make a society viable and enduring.

When you have leadership persist for a long period of time it is like inbreeding within families. Fraught with problems and such countries inevitably become structurally faulty.

When nations have leadership that oeriata they often end catastrophically and without warning.

The reason for instance Britain is no longer a world power is due to the monarchy. A small group of people that made shocking decisions throughout the world that eventually caught up with them.

Today Nigeria is about to make one by proposing to invade Niger Republic. It is a democracy that will give deep thought to the viability of that decision.

Left to Mr. President if this was a monarchy the country may have been at war already with unforseen consequences and most likely bad as we did by invading the west coast during the Babangida regime and sent our economy into a recession we have not recovered from till date.

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Longest-serving African Presidents by TemmyT002(m): 5:16pm On Sep 01, 2023
Remove the word 'serving'
Na scam
Re: Top 10 Longest-serving African Presidents by sureinfo: 5:26pm On Sep 01, 2023
Dem go soon do that Cameroon guy coup
Re: Top 10 Longest-serving African Presidents by bizhop01: 5:28pm On Sep 01, 2023

LegendHero:
I think it has more to do with actual performance. It’s not only Africa that we have longest serving presidents. But the main thing is that what did they achieved.

All this countries in your list are doing pretty well, compare to shit holes
Re: Top 10 Longest-serving African Presidents by Tommydare(m): 5:48pm On Sep 01, 2023
Military regime might be worse than what we have now or there might be no difference.
It's still the same selfish mentality those people will carry enter. Did you think Mali, Burkina Faso etc have experienced any significant changes positively since Military came into power?
NaijaSumigan:
I never imagined that Nigeria will get to a point where we would wish we had a Military regime as government.

Democracy isn't working for us in Nigeria. What we have are corrupt politicians without solution. They don't know anything as it concerns governance and what you don't have, you can't give.

Since I was a child till this very moment, it has been same complaints and same set of corrupt fools parading themselves as messiah's but once they get power, it becomes obvious they came for selfish means.

We need to re-evaluate the kind of governance we are practicing cos it's obvious Democracy isn't the way forward for Nigerians.

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Longest-serving African Presidents by professore(m): 5:56pm On Sep 01, 2023
Imagine
Re: Top 10 Longest-serving African Presidents by tollyboy5(m): 6:35pm On Sep 01, 2023
nairalanda1:

The monarchs in Africa are more autocratic than the monarches in Europe.

Spain's king, for example, serves at the pleasure of the state...he doesn't even own the royal palace..it is owned by the state. The UK monarchs started stripping their powers from the mid 17th century... the PM has more power than the King . Japan's emperor was weakened by the USA after world war 2.

African monarchs, and even Arab monarchs are more autocratic than European monarchs. The King of Eswathini has more power over government than the UK King.
Having more duty does not translate to having more powers than the king. Lets be informed.
Re: Top 10 Longest-serving African Presidents by tollyboy5(m): 6:42pm On Sep 01, 2023
nairalanda1:

Actually, the UK monarch has less powers than they did in say the 17th century.

In 1649, the then King was beheaded by his people. 13 years later , his son was on the throne, but he kind of signed an agreement....In 1688, the then king was kicked out and replaced with his niece and her husband. And so forth.

Most of the power in the UK is held by the Parliament, and the PM. The current monarch is basically ceremonial. Ya think the Monarchs of the UK wanted the colonies to go? Nope. But the PM and company then decided.

It is the same thing with most European monarchs.

Once upon a time, a European monarch could do and undo. Now, they can't. Their kids can even be called as witnesses in court cases, and be sued.

It's because you don't read history. If you did, and you saw how many European monarchs have been removed, especially countries like France, Rossiya and Germany...and even Austria and Hungary....and Greece...all had kings, all gone now....compared to the power they used to hold centuries ago, you go see.
You jumped from 1688 to the present monarch and call him a ceremonial king. You yourself you've not proving how he became a ceremonial king. Was queen Elizabeth ceremonial? or was her predecessor ceremonial? what makes the current king ceremonial?

You seem to be concluding things base on general misguided speculations.
Re: Top 10 Longest-serving African Presidents by nairalanda1(m): 6:58pm On Sep 01, 2023
tollyboy5:

You jumped from 1688 to the present monarch and call him a ceremonial king. You yourself you've not proving how he became a ceremonial king. Was queen Elizabeth ceremonial? or was her predecessor ceremonial? what makes the current king ceremonial?

You seem to be concluding things base on general misguided speculations.

It's a very brief summary. To tell the full story would take pages and pages and pages...you would get bored and I don't have the time..

But then again, suffice it to know that it is a even longer story, from the events around Magna Charta, to the first parliament, to the beheading of King Charles, (and the concept of the Divine Rights of kings.), and the Glorious revolution, and even the House of Lords reform act of 1910, the end of Empire and beginning of Commonwealth, and so on and so forth.

I mean, Henry the eight had several wives beheaded, and even two trusted advisors beheaded for not obeying him (one of the wives had side men, if you get my drift). King Charlie had to go to court to divorce his wifey like everyone else, back when he was a Prince tho...in 1992. What a difference 400 years maketh.

But you don't have to agree with me. That's the beauty of this site.
Re: Top 10 Longest-serving African Presidents by ucnwafor(m): 7:02pm On Sep 01, 2023
Latakia:
Obasanjo wanted to go this way through his Third Term Agenda but patriotic Nigerians stood against him.
do you know that baba is supposedly out performed leader in the country
Re: Top 10 Longest-serving African Presidents by ucnwafor(m): 7:07pm On Sep 01, 2023
Brendaniel:
For me I don't have problem with the number of terms or longevity of a president, as long as he is offering good governance, even if he stays as a life time president, what is the benefit of changing president every 4 years and each successive president destroys the country further.

Bring a good man that will offer good governance to Nigeria, if he like let him be Chinese, Indian or any tribe from Nigeria, I will give him my support
seconded

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Longest-serving African Presidents by rickleye: 7:12pm On Sep 01, 2023
LegendHero:

Don’t forget Isreal to PM comes and goes Benjamin Netanyahu
Re: Top 10 Longest-serving African Presidents by 21NAUGHTYUTY(m): 8:29pm On Sep 01, 2023
Like seriously, 45 years.... Omor
At times the coup is necessary
Re: Top 10 Longest-serving African Presidents by Menclothing: 8:40pm On Sep 01, 2023
You can’t try this in Nigeria never ever reason military can’t come back
Re: Top 10 Longest-serving African Presidents by Cool83(m): 9:27pm On Sep 01, 2023
NaijaSumigan:

Those previous military regime that we have in Nigeria, what do they achieve

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Russian Defence Minister, Sergei Shoigu Had Heart Attack After Speaking To Putin / ECOWAS Imposes More Sanctions On Niger / China Deploys 6 Warships To Middle East Over Fears Israel Crisis Could Spark WW3

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.