Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,209 members, 7,818,706 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:22 PM

How Do Some Families Acquire Land That They Sell for generations? I'm curious - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Do Some Families Acquire Land That They Sell for generations? I'm curious (536 Views)

Why Are Some Families So Divided And What Can I Do To Unite Mine? / 5 Generations Photo Of Nigerian Women / Man Writes On How Some Families Have Destroyed Marriages Of Their Loved Ones (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do Some Families Acquire Land That They Sell for generations? I'm curious by Born2winnx: 11:07am On Sep 12, 2023
I have always wondered if this is legal. You would see some families acquire land claiming that their ancestors were the founders of the land then they sell it out to others for years this has been going on. They even sell to government officials, and government bodies themselves have even purchased this land from them. Where is it stated in the law that if your grandfather has cultivated on some piece of land for decades, it automatically becomes his property or ownership? Or if he has been hunting the bush then it becomes his passed down to his children to own?

Please help my curiosity how did all this ownership mentality started?

You would see some families names renamed on different streets, layouts and I wonder how come? We're their forefathers the only human at that environment during that time or God who created man singlehandedly pointed it to them that it's their share from his Creation?

Nlfpmod
Re: How Do Some Families Acquire Land That They Sell for generations? I'm curious by BItt: 11:17am On Sep 12, 2023
Every land belongs to the government. The government is made up of people, so if you are strong and your people are part of the "government" , you can lay claims to any land and "government" will over look it.
Dem go still even buy from you sef grin

"Know your history and move in numbers, with your folks in high government agencies ". Life is a jungle, numbers determine who owns "what"

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Do Some Families Acquire Land That They Sell for generations? I'm curious by Nobody: 11:18am On Sep 12, 2023
Mtcheww
If your ancestors have no land for you to inherit why are you sad over others?

Come let me cut land for you

1 Like

Re: How Do Some Families Acquire Land That They Sell for generations? I'm curious by Nobody: 11:18am On Sep 12, 2023
BItt:
Every land belongs to the government
That's a lie
Touch any of our family land and face the court

1 Like

Re: How Do Some Families Acquire Land That They Sell for generations? I'm curious by Born2winnx: 11:20am On Sep 12, 2023
IconicR:
Mtcheww
If your ancestors have no land for you to inherit why are you sad over others?

Come let me cut land for you
I am not sad I am just curious.
How all this mentality started.
Re: How Do Some Families Acquire Land That They Sell for generations? I'm curious by BItt: 11:20am On Sep 12, 2023
IconicR:
That's a lie
Touch any of our family land and face the court

The government owns the court too wink
The entire judiciary arm is owned by the people in "government"

2 Likes

Re: How Do Some Families Acquire Land That They Sell for generations? I'm curious by Born2winnx: 11:21am On Sep 12, 2023
BItt:
Every land belongs to the government. The government is made up of people, so if you are strong and your people are part of the government, you can lay claims to any land and "government" will over look it.
I go price one, which day here
The money that was called for me increase my curiosity...like how come.
Re: How Do Some Families Acquire Land That They Sell for generations? I'm curious by BItt: 11:26am On Sep 12, 2023
Born2winnx:
I go price one, wey day here
The money that was called for me increase my curiosity...like how come.

Buy am like that o If it's in a favorable location.
Psalms 24 vs 1 say the earth and all there in belongs to the lord grin but you go still pay for confirm ownership sha
Re: How Do Some Families Acquire Land That They Sell for generations? I'm curious by Nobody: 11:29am On Sep 12, 2023
Born2winnx:
I am not sad I am just curious.
How all this mentality started.
Before the advent of government and judiciary, land were owned by the early settlers of a particular place and they handed those land to their descendants along the line
When the world started moving forward and introducing government, laws and what have you, the owners of those land had to act in accordance with government laws for full ownership and in a case where the government have use for any particular land, they talk with the owners and make agreements and compensation where necessary
I know all these from my papa

1 Like

Re: How Do Some Families Acquire Land That They Sell for generations? I'm curious by Born2winnx: 11:32am On Sep 12, 2023
IconicR:
Before the advent of government and judiciary, land were owned by the early settlers of a particular place and they handed those land to their descendants along the line
When the world started moving forward and introducing government, laws and what have you, the owners of those land had to act in accordance with government laws for full ownership and in a case where the government have use for any particular land, they talk with the owners and make agreements and compensation where necessary
I know all these from my papa

So it's right for them to sell what they achieved free with no hassle for a stupendously sum of money?
How did being the first settlers make them owners? that they had to sell out to others.
I think the government needs to restructure this

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Do Some Families Acquire Land That They Sell for generations? I'm curious by TheBillyonaire: 11:36am On Sep 12, 2023
Born2winnx:
I have always wondered if this is legal. You would see some families acquire land claiming that their ancestors were the founders of the land then they sell it out to others for years this has been going on. They even sell to government officials, and government bodies themselves have even purchased this land from them. Where is it stated in the law that if your grandfather has cultivated on some piece of land for decades, it automatically becomes his property or ownership? Or if he has been hunting the bush then it becomes his passed down to his children?

Please help my curiosity how did all this ownership mentality started?

You would see some families names renamed on different streets, layouts and I wonder how come? We're their forefathers the only human at that environment during that time or God who created man singlehandedly pointed it to them that it's their share from his Creation?

Nlfpmod

There are a number of ways to secure owner rights of properties -

1. War: If you wage physical or spiritual war against any entity or entities, and you defeat the opponent, the property of the defeated becomes the spoils of war and is shared among the winners.

2. Purchase - You can buy properties by purchasing with money or other goods agreed upon by the donor.

3. Exchange - You can exchange your land in the forests with another that is by the highway for economic purposes.

4. Matrimony - Your in-law can award landed properties to you if they have excess.

5. Sponsorship - Some investors get landed property in exchange for sponsoring surveys and titles.

6. Stealing - You can decide to steal someone's land using influence, or simply kill the owners and take the land.

7. Corporate Hijack - You can approach the approach the government and tender your request for land for investment purpose and when the land is provided, you change all titles and bribe a few people in a couple of tenures and convert the land to private use.

8. As a Political office holder, you can equally revoke titles of land and re-allocate it your yourself via proxies.

Etc
Re: How Do Some Families Acquire Land That They Sell for generations? I'm curious by Nobody: 11:38am On Sep 12, 2023
Born2winnx:

So it's right for them to sell what they achieved free with no hassle for a stupendously sum of money?
Like I said earlier, most of these land owners were early settlers of that particular place
It was mainly a forest before someone decided to clear some part and start his existence there

It was not free because they protected the land and cultivated it.
Re: How Do Some Families Acquire Land That They Sell for generations? I'm curious by Nobody: 11:44am On Sep 12, 2023
Born2winnx:

How did being the first settlers make them owners? that they had to sell out to others.
I think the government needs to restructure this
The government can't do anything
These people were there before the government and will always be there.
Re: How Do Some Families Acquire Land That They Sell for generations? I'm curious by Born2winnx: 11:48am On Sep 12, 2023
IconicR:
The government can't do anything
These people were there before the government and will always be there.

It doesn't matter if they were the first men created by God that doesn't give them automatic ownership.
The needs to abolish this act and restructure things.
We are all humans, everyone deserves shelter.
Re: How Do Some Families Acquire Land That They Sell for generations? I'm curious by jmoore(m): 12:05pm On Sep 12, 2023
Village land na village land. You no get your village? If you have exhausted yours, don't be jealous of others.

Lands are shared. Example my father was a beneficiary of lands shared in our village.

Few years ago during my father burial, our cousin enlightened us of how we can be beneficiaries in the future. I and my brothers did the registration, just a token. In years to come, another portion of the village will be shared and we will benefit from it.
Re: How Do Some Families Acquire Land That They Sell for generations? I'm curious by Born2winnx: 12:17pm On Sep 12, 2023
jmoore:
Village land na village land. You no get your village? If you have exhausted yours, don't be jealous of others.

Lands are shared. Example my father was a beneficiary of lands shared in our village.

Few years ago during my father burial, our cousin enlightened us of how we can be beneficiaries in the future. I and my brothers did the registration, just a token. In years to come, another portion of the village will be shared and we will benefit from it.
this is so wrong. All this needs to be abolished that's my point.
Who gave them that authority they have to share land within themselves.

1 Like

Re: How Do Some Families Acquire Land That They Sell for generations? I'm curious by jmoore(m): 12:24pm On Sep 12, 2023
Born2winnx:
this is so wrong. All this needs to be abolished that's my point.
Who gave them that authority they have to share land within themselves.

Abolish wetin? Who made you a judge to say it's wrong?

Village wan share their land, you dey talk say they shouldn't.
Re: How Do Some Families Acquire Land That They Sell for generations? I'm curious by Acidosis(m): 12:47pm On Sep 12, 2023
Many here do not understand your point of view.

3 Likes

Re: How Do Some Families Acquire Land That They Sell for generations? I'm curious by Born2winnx: 1:11pm On Sep 12, 2023
Acidosis:

Many here do not understand your point of view.
I wish it can get to front page.
Nlfpmod
Re: How Do Some Families Acquire Land That They Sell for generations? I'm curious by ecolime(m): 1:36pm On Sep 12, 2023
BItt:
Every land belongs to the government. The government is made up of people, so if you are strong and your people are part of the "government" , you can lay claims to any land and "government" will over look it.

"Know your history and move in numbers, with your folks in high government agencies ". Life is a jungle, numbers determine who owns "what"
Wisdom

1 Like

Re: How Do Some Families Acquire Land That They Sell for generations? I'm curious by Sharpsharp00123: 4:18pm On Sep 12, 2023
BItt:

no it’s not about laying claims where I come from

My grandfather have acres of lands they bought then with their own money n not laying claim on it, as at then when he’s old n he dies, they will share d land to each wife according to tradition

Let me burst your brain, till now those lands are still in existence n my father has done c of o on it so that’s how it goes

Though many of it are still in thick bushes so they lease it out to farmers
Re: How Do Some Families Acquire Land That They Sell for generations? I'm curious by Sharpsharp00123: 4:19pm On Sep 12, 2023
BItt:

The government owns the court too wink
The entire judiciary arm is owned by the people in "government"
just do your c of o n once they touch your land it’s either they relocate u or compensate u
Re: How Do Some Families Acquire Land That They Sell for generations? I'm curious by Beremx(f): 6:41pm On Sep 12, 2023
Your question is not straight and it's confusing. Do you mean how do families acquire land they keep for their generations to inherit? Because I haven't heard of families selling land to their generations instead it is inherited

(1) (Reply)

Gift For Your Wife: Funny Tumbler "I Am Not Spoiled My Husband Just Loves Me".. / Party Party Party / Please Answer Our Short Survey For Your Chance To Get A FREE $50 Gift Card!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.