Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,365 members, 7,826,431 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 02:13 PM

UCL: Real Madrid Vs Lyon (4 - 0) On 18th October 2011 - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / UCL: Real Madrid Vs Lyon (4 - 0) On 18th October 2011 (1917 Views)

Poll: Who Wins This Match?

Real Madrid: 75% (9 votes)
Lyon: 8% (1 vote)
Draw: 16% (2 votes)
This poll has ended

UCL: Real Madrid Vs Ajax (4 - 1) On 4th December 2012 / UCL: Real Madrid Vs Dortmund - (2 - 2) -On 6th November 2012 / UCL: Real Madrid Vs Man City (3 - 2) On 18th September 2012 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

UCL: Real Madrid Vs Lyon (4 - 0) On 18th October 2011 by mukina2: 9:53am On Oct 18, 2011
Real Madrid coach Jose Mourinho has set his sights on qualifying for the knockout phase of the Champions League as soon as possible ahead of the Group D game against Lyon at the Bernabeu.

Madrid have picked up two wins from two games so far - 1-0 at Dinamo Zagreb and 3-0 at home to Ajax - and take on Les Gones knowing victory would move them to the brink of the last 16 as they look to improve on last year's performance in the competition, when they crashed out in an ill-tempered semi-final against Barcelona.

"The important thing is winning,'' Mourinho said at his pre-match press conference. "Last year we got 10 points in the first four games and with these points we qualified.

"It is not easy to win games in the Champions League and now we have a start of six points.

"Winning the group may have a slight advantage in the draw for the next round. We want to qualify as soon as possible and advance further in the Champions League than we did last year.''

He continued: "Real Madrid has always been an offensive team and I hope to play a balanced team to win games either at home or away.

"It is normal that with hard work the team becomes better. We want to be stronger this season than last, but that is not easy.''

Mourinho will have to decide whether to go with Gonzalo Higuain or Karim Benzema - or both - up front, but was giving little away about his plans.

Higuain has scored three hat-tricks in his last four games - one for Argentina - while Benzema has netted five goals this season and will be keen to face his old club.

"You can play with both or one of them,'' Mourinho said. "Both are good and competition for places improves the team collectively.

"My goal is to unite, not divide. In the press it is different because they are debating who is better or worse. My thinking is different - we win and lose as a team. We have different objectives.''

The Portuguese welcomes back left-back Marcelo after suspension, and has also included 22-year-old goalkeeper Tomas Mejias in his 19-man squad.

Madrid head into the encounter buoyed by Saturday's 4-1 Primera Division victory over Real Betis, but Lyon too enjoyed a healthy home win - 3-1 against Nancy.

Les Gones drew 0-0 at Ajax in their opener before boosting their bid to reach the last 16 for the ninth straight season with a 2-0 home win over Dinamo Zagreb.

Coach Remi Garde will be without Argentinian forward Lisandro Lopez (ankle) and midfield duo Clement Grenier (thigh) and Jeremy Pied (foot) for the match due to injuries.

The teams have faced each other in four of the past six campaigns, including at the last-16 stage for the past two campaigns. Madrid advanced last season, with Lyon triumphant the previous term.

Garde told www.uefa.com: "There is a strange link between the two clubs and draws. For us it is obviously a very difficult tie, but for Real Madrid as well because we've been their worst enemy in the last few years.

"Since the arrival of Jose Mourinho they have a team which is more experienced than in the past. They have a team that can make a difference at any time.

"We know one of their players very well: Karim Benzema.''

Match
Re: UCL: Real Madrid Vs Lyon (4 - 0) On 18th October 2011 by crusufixo(m): 10:10am On Oct 18, 2011
Madrid to nick this one. With Hugain and Cr7, wat could possibly go wrong. Though lyon should not be taken for granted. Hala madrid !!!!
Re: UCL: Real Madrid Vs Lyon (4 - 0) On 18th October 2011 by usbcable(m): 11:36am On Oct 18, 2011
my heart
my body
my soul
my mind
my brain
infact my everything
wants nothing less than a 3-0 beating of Lyon
then on the return leg we beat them 1 or 2-nil

God pls grant my prayer. wink
Re: UCL: Real Madrid Vs Lyon (4 - 0) On 18th October 2011 by Ifemyke: 12:22pm On Oct 18, 2011
Its madrid all the way. However, what are we going to do about this siasia thing? After reading http://mylatestfootballnews..com
honestly i am having a feeling that siasia should resign at least to set example for others
Re: UCL: Real Madrid Vs Lyon (4 - 0) On 18th October 2011 by Kx: 12:26pm On Oct 18, 2011
Los merengues all d way.3.0
Re: UCL: Real Madrid Vs Lyon (4 - 0) On 18th October 2011 by otokx(m): 1:45pm On Oct 18, 2011
Madrid
Re: UCL: Real Madrid Vs Lyon (4 - 0) On 18th October 2011 by mukina2: 7:48pm On Oct 18, 2011
kick off
Re: UCL: Real Madrid Vs Lyon (4 - 0) On 18th October 2011 by mukina2: 8:07pm On Oct 18, 2011
1 - 0
Re: UCL: Real Madrid Vs Lyon (4 - 0) On 18th October 2011 by mukina2: 8:54pm On Oct 18, 2011
2 - 0
Re: UCL: Real Madrid Vs Lyon (4 - 0) On 18th October 2011 by mukina2: 8:58pm On Oct 18, 2011
3 - 0
Re: UCL: Real Madrid Vs Lyon (4 - 0) On 18th October 2011 by bash673(m): 9:26pm On Oct 18, 2011
4-0
Re: UCL: Real Madrid Vs Lyon (4 - 0) On 18th October 2011 by VUVUZELA10: 9:26pm On Oct 18, 2011
Real Madrid 4 Lyon 0
Re: UCL: Real Madrid Vs Lyon (4 - 0) On 18th October 2011 by VUVUZELA10: 9:36pm On Oct 18, 2011
@Uscable
We don spell LYON.
Re: UCL: Real Madrid Vs Lyon (4 - 0) On 18th October 2011 by amblors(m): 10:29pm On Oct 18, 2011
@mukina, ManCity should start seeing frontpage o, they're grown, they're no longer watching the throne, lol
btw, fine win from madrid, 1st serious beating they've given Lyon in a while.
Re: UCL: Real Madrid Vs Lyon (4 - 0) On 18th October 2011 by usbcable(m): 11:30pm On Oct 18, 2011
amblors:

@mukina, ManCity should start seeing frontpage o, they're grown, they're no longer watching the throne, lol
btw, fine win from madrid, 1st serious beating they've given Lyon in a while.
we beat them 3-0 last season
VUVUZELA10:

@Uscable
We don spell LYON.

the second leg will be the icing on the cake. I hope we beat them there too thus creating the stat that we have not only scored there, beaten them on our home soil but that we have also defeated them on there home turf

viva mourinho
viva los Blanco
Re: UCL: Real Madrid Vs Lyon (4 - 0) On 18th October 2011 by mamagee3(f): 12:58am On Oct 19, 2011
They should have scored even more. . .

Angry ronaldo hasn't been scoring goals lately!

(1) (Reply)

Arsenal New Kits / Torres, Pato Or Aguero: Who's Best For Chelsea? / Coaches Who Should Be Sacked.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.