Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,256 members, 7,815,392 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:40 AM

Tuition Fees Increment: OAU Students Threaten To Shut Campus - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Tuition Fees Increment: OAU Students Threaten To Shut Campus (11589 Views)

UNIBEN Students Threaten To Beat Lecturers Over University Closure - VC / Unilorin's Move To Close Portal Causes Stir As Students Threaten To Protest / OAU students trapped following a downpour, today, in Ile Ife, Osun State (Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tuition Fees Increment: OAU Students Threaten To Shut Campus by DamnnNiggarr: 3:40pm On Sep 18, 2023
Following the 300 percent increment of tuition fees of Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU), Ile-Ife, Osun state, the students of the institution have threatened to shut down the activities of the school if the management failed to revert its decision.

The Nation recalled that the management of the institution through its public relations officer, Abiodun Olarewaju announced the increment last week after an emergency meeting.

However, the students under the auspice of the Student Union led by its president, Abbas Akinremi-Ojo gathered at the Ken Sarowiwa building inside the campus of OAU on Monday to kick against the decision of the management.

Addressing the newsmen, Akinremi-Ojo revealed: “We’ve also written to all respective banks to halt the acceptance of fee payments from any student until a better resolution has been achieved. As much as we don’t want to, we are currently running out of options and might have to shut down all activities on campus and progressively on all other federal institutions campuses in Nigeria because we are carrying the leadership of the National Association of Nigeria Students (NANS) along which they backed.

“The student leadership had met with the management in August when we learnt about plans to increase school fees and we started negotiating. Unfortunately, they shut us out and announced the new fee. They claimed that the Federal Government has stopped funding OAU, meanwhile, the recent release on September 15th, 2023 listed OAU as number 9 of the top-funded universities with a budget allocation of N13.4B.”

Similarly, the leadership of the National Association of Universities Students (NAUS) through its chairman, Comrade Olayinka Popoola in Osogbo warned other universities planning to increase to desist, saying, “Universities must source funds elsewhere to meet their needs.”

https://thenationonlineng.net/tuition-fees-increment-oau-students-threaten-to-shut-campus/

Re: Tuition Fees Increment: OAU Students Threaten To Shut Campus by DamnnNiggarr: 3:41pm On Sep 18, 2023
shocked

When it's about national politics, you won't remember other regions; But when it's about one inconsequential protest, you'll remember that other regions exist in Nigeria.

in this Tinybu regime, let me see that fo0l that'll canvass others to go out on a protest.

39 Likes

Re: Tuition Fees Increment: OAU Students Threaten To Shut Campus by Kusheer(m): 6:59pm On Sep 18, 2023
New beginning

New Era

Go touch everyone

Una Put tinubu for president

Every body go collect

37 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Tuition Fees Increment: OAU Students Threaten To Shut Campus by emmyclassic(m): 6:59pm On Sep 18, 2023
I knew the Tuition fee was going to increase by hundreds of percentage. Laughing when FG and some state Governments were saying nothing like school fees and it’s free

12 Likes

Re: Tuition Fees Increment: OAU Students Threaten To Shut Campus by Eriokanmi: 6:59pm On Sep 18, 2023
Why? Shebi awa lokan? 12.5kg gas cylinder to cost up to 18k before December. Those embracing the CNG as an alternative option to petrol and rushed to buy carborateur, how far na?

34 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Tuition Fees Increment: OAU Students Threaten To Shut Campus by HumbleOptimist(m): 6:59pm On Sep 18, 2023
Elected Officials appointing thousands of "Useless" aides but the masses are supposed to "Sacrifice". You think piliticians are different? No, they are not.
This is why other races have no regard for the blacks.

8 Likes

Re: Tuition Fees Increment: OAU Students Threaten To Shut Campus by 89green: 6:59pm On Sep 18, 2023
My brother, u sure say this Country go progress at all?

I am a very optimistic person but my optimism sef no gree hear word again.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tuition Fees Increment: OAU Students Threaten To Shut Campus by ShoeWorld1(m): 7:00pm On Sep 18, 2023
After passing through hardship to source tuition fees and going to lectures on an empty stomach because there's nothing left in the account.
You will still buy data to write long and untrue epistles about politicians who have made things hard for the citizens.

There's no government job even waiting for you unless you're lucky and favored.
You have to work hard to learn skills or create jobs yourself.

8 Likes

Re: Tuition Fees Increment: OAU Students Threaten To Shut Campus by akpaulite(m): 7:00pm On Sep 18, 2023
Education is too cheap in this country

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tuition Fees Increment: OAU Students Threaten To Shut Campus by Samakus(m): 7:00pm On Sep 18, 2023
When ASUU was fighting FG for your cause, majority of you guys joined FG to target ASUU.

All man for himself now. If you no fit afford school, drop out and learn a trade.

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tuition Fees Increment: OAU Students Threaten To Shut Campus by Babalakin34: 7:01pm On Sep 18, 2023
No be only under the auspices, nah over the auspices.
Bat told NANS how he was going to run the tertiary institutions of learning and they supported his electoral bid.
I'm not even here to say that BAT has done well or not, I'm only pointing out that it's common sense to expect exorbitant tuition hike all over our federal institutions given this administration's standing on funding of educational sector.

2 Likes

Re: Tuition Fees Increment: OAU Students Threaten To Shut Campus by tiswell(m): 7:01pm On Sep 18, 2023
I'm glad this suffering started with the ronu's

Igbos and igboland strong!

15 Likes

Re: Tuition Fees Increment: OAU Students Threaten To Shut Campus by SpatialKing(m): 7:01pm On Sep 18, 2023
Why?
Re: Tuition Fees Increment: OAU Students Threaten To Shut Campus by MT: 7:02pm On Sep 18, 2023
The students are simply not being reasonable.

How can you be paying 20k for a session and expect quality education. Is that not ridiculous?

Some average private secondary school pays much more per term. Even in abroad, it is so expensive for their kids to go to University and some students abandon it to learn craft work like plumbing etc. Formal education is not compulsory for everyone, and it is not a determinant to be successful in life.

You expect campuses to have infrastructure and enabling environment, yet you are not ready to fund it.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tuition Fees Increment: OAU Students Threaten To Shut Campus by GUNITGuy: 7:02pm On Sep 18, 2023
Bala blu protest going no where
If NLC can be rendered toothless na one student body go come make noise

1 Like

Re: Tuition Fees Increment: OAU Students Threaten To Shut Campus by YunqTee: 7:03pm On Sep 18, 2023
Be like them nor want make the poor masses go higher institution again... Even if you say "thank God I don finish, your siblings or children go still enter... Tell me wetin still dey affordable for this conrtree 🤔

2 Likes

Re: Tuition Fees Increment: OAU Students Threaten To Shut Campus by EngrchidiG25(m): 7:04pm On Sep 18, 2023
E go touch everybody
Nigeria lo kan

4 Likes

Re: Tuition Fees Increment: OAU Students Threaten To Shut Campus by JuanDeDios: 7:04pm On Sep 18, 2023
How much have the fees been increased to?
Re: Tuition Fees Increment: OAU Students Threaten To Shut Campus by DevilSignature: 7:04pm On Sep 18, 2023
cheesy

Project Shege promax 2023

APC and co coneheads here on nairaland

I greet unaa oOoOOh

2 Likes

Re: Tuition Fees Increment: OAU Students Threaten To Shut Campus by karzyharsky(m): 7:05pm On Sep 18, 2023
Hmmm OAU father of Aluta
Re: Tuition Fees Increment: OAU Students Threaten To Shut Campus by eldoradoxx: 7:05pm On Sep 18, 2023
All these UNILAG and OAU students are being paid by Obidients to ebarice our illustrious son the Jagand of Africa and they will fail inshallah. They should better learn to cope with Obidients in schools like UNN, Uniabuja etc where school fees have been increased and nobody made any noise.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tuition Fees Increment: OAU Students Threaten To Shut Campus by OkpaNsukkaisBae(m): 7:07pm On Sep 18, 2023
Ronu protest! I no follow

1 Like

Re: Tuition Fees Increment: OAU Students Threaten To Shut Campus by seunlayi(m): 7:07pm On Sep 18, 2023
Getting interesting
Re: Tuition Fees Increment: OAU Students Threaten To Shut Campus by EyeCumInPiece: 7:08pm On Sep 18, 2023
They should go and take balablu bulaba loan.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tuition Fees Increment: OAU Students Threaten To Shut Campus by fergie001: 7:08pm On Sep 18, 2023
Beg them oooo..... Those students morale too high.

My dream University

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tuition Fees Increment: OAU Students Threaten To Shut Campus by AwokenVawulence: 7:09pm On Sep 18, 2023
Av
Re: Tuition Fees Increment: OAU Students Threaten To Shut Campus by maramara: 7:09pm On Sep 18, 2023
All schools tuition was increased right from federal govt unity schools, none was exception
Re: Tuition Fees Increment: OAU Students Threaten To Shut Campus by GboyegaD(m): 7:11pm On Sep 18, 2023
I am not against hike in school fees however, I am bothered about the level of mismanagement in most public institution.

I remember when they introduced Faculty Fees in 2002. I still do not understand how the money was spent till tomorrow. Thus, one way to agree to fees increment is that proper audit should be in place going forward.
Re: Tuition Fees Increment: OAU Students Threaten To Shut Campus by chigator2: 7:17pm On Sep 18, 2023
mk

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

NANS Can’t Shut Private Universities / Federal University Of Technology, Minna Gets New VC / Delta State Online Registration Of Bursary & Scholarship For 2016/2017 Begins

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.