Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,260 members, 7,815,414 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:59 AM

PayDay To Sell The Company Six Months After $3M Raise - Investment - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / PayDay To Sell The Company Six Months After $3M Raise (14451 Views)

6 Things You Must Do To Raise Money For Your Business In 2021 - Nairametrics / Please Who Know About Insme? Is The Company Legit Or A Scam? / Nigeria Records $15bn Investments In Six Months (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

PayDay To Sell The Company Six Months After $3M Raise by nlfpmod: 3:43pm On Sep 20, 2023
Months after raising $3 million, the Nigerian fintech PayDay is in talks and hopes to conclude a sale of the company soon.

Six months after raising $3 million in a seed round led by Moniepoint, the Nigerian fintech startup Payday is actively speaking to buyers. Favour Ori, the startup’s CEO, confirmed that PayDay is entertaining conversations with potential acquirers. “Active conversations are being had with people who reached out and expressed interest in buying,” Favour told TechCabal.

In March, one publication reported that Moniepoint was in discussions to buy Payday; a journalist at that publication said privately that the deal would be closed in three months.

“Favour himself leaked the news,” One source close to the situation said. “[i]Moniepoint had issued a letter of intent to acquire Payday, contingent upon specific performance benchmarks being met. It was a matter anticipated in the near future[/i].” But by May, there was no update about the deal.

A highly placed member of PayDay’s management said the company was open to being acquired before its seed round. Despite this openness to being bought, the Moniepoint deal did not go through, with one source claiming that Moniepoint’s board was not keen on the deal. One source at a VC with equity in Moniepoint claimed that they first heard about the potential acquisition of PayDay in the media. Despite Moniepoint pulling out of the deal, TechCabal confirmed that talks to sell the company are ongoing.

A wave of bad press may have complicated attempts to sell the company. In August, PayDay acknowledged that it suspended access to customer accounts after it noticed some customers had lost funds to fraudulent activities. While an employee familiar with the matter refused to disclose how much was lost, they admitted that PayDay temporarily disabled access to several accounts to recover funds stolen by people who exploited a loophole in Payday’s infrastructure that enabled currency arbitrage. “The company didn’t publicly acknowledge that it had restricted accounts until a prominent blog accused the company of misappropriating customer funds,” a source told TechCabal.

As the company pushed back on bad press, it also had to deal with internal issues.

A contentious salary adjustment at PayDay

Current and former employees said PayDay slashed salaries of some Nigerian staff in July—three months after the $3 million raise. “They told us that it was because the company wanted to be domiciled in Nigeria and was obligated to pay its resident employees in Naira,” a current employee said. While employees expected the Naira equivalent of their salaries to align with their dollar salaries, the actual amounts fell short, amounting to 30-50% reductions. The company said the cut was necessary to adjust the wages of employees in Nigeria to the regular pay for such roles in the country. A highly placed source claimed that less than 10 of the company’s 60 staff were affected and that PayDay planned to assign stock options to the employees as further compensation. PayDay employees told Techcabal that the stock options that were promised had not materialised.

The displeasure of employees was complicated by the fact that Favour, who shuttled between Rwanda and the U.S maintained his monthly salary of $15,000. “I went months without a salary before we raised it,” Favour said. “After we did, I earned $15,000, but that has been slashed to reduce the burn rate.”

Those salary reductions coincided with the exit of several employees, including co-founder and Chief Operating Officer (COO) Ogechi Obike. Obike’s exit note cited a misalignment of goals as the reason for her departure. Three current and former employees described meetings in which Obike and Favour argued. “During meetings, he provoked arguments, particularly when she proposed alternative approaches different from his own,” said a company insider. The same source claimed Obike was omitted from conference calls involving service providers, investors, and other stakeholders. A source at PayDay’s management denied these claims and said that Favour often had praise for Obike, and she left by mutual agreement.

Favour Ori’s shiny object syndrome

Sources say that many of Favour’s decisions often came out of the blues. “There were instances when we would wake up to discover upcoming features through Twitter, and even the product team had no prior knowledge of these developments,” one person said. “At times, he would suddenly take control of the company’s social media account to respond to customer complaints.” An employee insisted that Favour’s behaviour was typical of founders in the early stages and not necessarily odd or worrisome.

Several people said that Favour had a pattern of hiring top talent from renowned startups, primarily through social media. Once he had recruited them, he rarely allowed them to implement their own ideas instead of compelling them to conform to his directives, effectively stifling their ability to apply their expertise. A member of PayDay’s management who asked not to be named pushed back on some of these claims; ”The team is dealing with a lot, and everyone is stressed, the source said. “I don’t know that anyone left because they were dissatisfied.”

The impulsiveness of the company’s founder was sometimes costly. Some customers lost money while trying to create virtual cards, while others could not access their accounts. “All of this happened because Favour abruptly switched from our previous Mastercard provider to a new one, with minimal to no prior vetting. As soon as the switch happened, we were inundated with a wave of customer complaints,” said an employee to TechCabal. The company claims that it has refunded all the affected customers.

Lately, Favour has reduced his involvement in the company. “He is no longer as active as he once was on the company’s Slack channel, except for a few occasions when he drops messages in the engineering channel,” a source told TechCabal. A source also disclosed that while he is occupied with attempts to sell the company, Favour has worked full-time at GitHub. “Early in the year, during a team hangout, Favour showed us his Github work ID when introducing himself, implying that Payday was a side hustle.” Additionally, PayDay’s co-founder Elijah Kingson is employed at London-based fintech Revolut. Both co-founders declined to comment.

https://techcabal.com/2023/09/20/fintech-payday-is-looking-to-sell-months-after-3m-raise/

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: PayDay To Sell The Company Six Months After $3M Raise by Peacemaker5128: 3:51pm On Sep 20, 2023
may Favour Ori not labour in vain

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: PayDay To Sell The Company Six Months After $3M Raise by olaiya2007(m): 3:54pm On Sep 20, 2023
Ok
Re: PayDay To Sell The Company Six Months After $3M Raise by FalseProphet1(m): 3:54pm On Sep 20, 2023
The prophecy I got on this matter isn't very clear. Kindly bear with me.

This I have seen.

35 Likes

Re: PayDay To Sell The Company Six Months After $3M Raise by adecz: 3:55pm On Sep 20, 2023
Nice one👍
Re: PayDay To Sell The Company Six Months After $3M Raise by Neduzze5(m): 3:55pm On Sep 20, 2023
This is simply the aftermath of a wrong decision taken by the CEO which led to a run on the company by the customers.

Because I don't know how you will wake up one morning, switch from virtual MasterCard to Virtual Visa Card the without allowing users to move out their funds from the MasterCard before blocking their access to it.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: PayDay To Sell The Company Six Months After $3M Raise by Yugoslavia247(m): 3:56pm On Sep 20, 2023
Man don cash out

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: PayDay To Sell The Company Six Months After $3M Raise by richard870(m): 3:57pm On Sep 20, 2023
Interesting..
Re: PayDay To Sell The Company Six Months After $3M Raise by SmartPolician: 3:57pm On Sep 20, 2023
Raising money isn't an issue these days but paying back. I wonder how those feeless neobanks intend to repay all the money investors splashed on them.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: PayDay To Sell The Company Six Months After $3M Raise by Hopium: 3:57pm On Sep 20, 2023
Scammer. Incompetence.

"Payday" indeed.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: PayDay To Sell The Company Six Months After $3M Raise by Okortor: 3:59pm On Sep 20, 2023
This scam company that disguised as a game play and was even advertised on wazobia FM collectingc #200 per account with max of 20account within 40mins and claiming that player's could win up to 50k with just#200 but Las Las na scam show Ponzi.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: PayDay To Sell The Company Six Months After $3M Raise by ecolime(m): 3:59pm On Sep 20, 2023
SmartPolician:
Raising money isn't an issue these days but paying back. I wonder how those feeless neobanks intend to repay all the money investors splashed on them.
Repay investors? So pe Otilor cheesy

Raising money has always been the end game.

Na legalized fraud: Build App, create a buzz around it, raise fund for scaling, cash out, JAPA

As an investor, I would rather invest in the old rusty commercial Banks... lol

37 Likes 6 Shares

Re: PayDay To Sell The Company Six Months After $3M Raise by LibertyRep: 4:00pm On Sep 20, 2023
PayDay.

Very anyhow

3 Likes

Re: PayDay To Sell The Company Six Months After $3M Raise by omoadeleye(m): 4:01pm On Sep 20, 2023
Because they want to sell a fintech now that story come long like this?

They can do whatever they want with it

3 Likes

Re: PayDay To Sell The Company Six Months After $3M Raise by jubrilELsudan: 4:01pm On Sep 20, 2023
AFTER DEM DON TIFF PEOPLE MONEY NOW DEM WAN RRUUUN

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: PayDay To Sell The Company Six Months After $3M Raise by Goalnaldo(m): 4:03pm On Sep 20, 2023
Please how do they start fintech? I want to start. Can one start with zero capital?

6 Likes

Re: PayDay To Sell The Company Six Months After $3M Raise by SETHARTHUR(m): 4:04pm On Sep 20, 2023
I haven't gotten my USD virtual account from this people only naira

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: PayDay To Sell The Company Six Months After $3M Raise by maasoap(m): 4:08pm On Sep 20, 2023
SmartPolician:
Their interest rate on loans is very high. And trust me, a lots of Nigerians are patronising them! Borrowing at that high interest and paying back.
Re: PayDay To Sell The Company Six Months After $3M Raise by motionarena: 4:15pm On Sep 20, 2023
Everything is Fintech in naija.
Everybody is eyeing your Money

Seems this is d new form of Legalized tech ponzi

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: PayDay To Sell The Company Six Months After $3M Raise by TheBillyonaire: 4:18pm On Sep 20, 2023
Businesses layered with fraudulent intentions are just special purpose vehicles for criminal ends. I love this level of yahoo .com

People do not see it coming.

3 Likes

Re: PayDay To Sell The Company Six Months After $3M Raise by 12inchess: 4:20pm On Sep 20, 2023
I still find it largely interesting and ignorant for young Nigerians to devout their life savings to these "neo-yahoo yahoo" Fintech startups. There is still prudence in dealing with institutionalized banks like First Bank, GTB, Zenith etc. This Neo-Yahoo Yahoo Fintech startups in Nigeria are largely unregulated and nothing stops the CEO from cashing out with your funds to buy him a mansion in San Francisco while f**king San Francisco b**ches with your life savings. After Invictus Obi, una still never learn. The only Fintech company I even trust a little bit is Piggvest or Piggybank because they are supported by First Bank and the person in charge is from a well known family honorable family in Nigeria. But even Cecilia Ibru of Oceanic last last she still engaged in shady dealings. Anyway na una sabi. Just a word of advice, the day that girl comot for Piggvest make una comot your money from there ooo because enough wolves are already waiting in the sidelines to pounce on your funds.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: PayDay To Sell The Company Six Months After $3M Raise by motionarena: 4:21pm On Sep 20, 2023
Goalnaldo:
Please how do they start fintech? I want to start. Can one start with zero capital?

Na the new oil well be this.

Na to start our own and cash out

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: PayDay To Sell The Company Six Months After $3M Raise by bigtt76(f): 4:22pm On Sep 20, 2023
Common problem with developers who try to run businesses out of building proof of concepts ..it always ends in tears cheesy

nlfpmod:

https://techcabal.com/2023/09/20/fintech-payday-is-looking-to-sell-months-after-3m-raise/
Re: PayDay To Sell The Company Six Months After $3M Raise by bamac(m): 4:27pm On Sep 20, 2023
The ideas behind fintech coys are just too right to go wrong.

1 Like

Re: PayDay To Sell The Company Six Months After $3M Raise by TrueNigerian300: 4:27pm On Sep 20, 2023
SmartPolician:

It is mostly equity and not loan…it is a share of risk and reward.
Re: PayDay To Sell The Company Six Months After $3M Raise by NOwazobia: 4:36pm On Sep 20, 2023
Payday
Re: PayDay To Sell The Company Six Months After $3M Raise by Panelbeater(m): 4:36pm On Sep 20, 2023
Payday na scammer fintech. My dollars vamoose into the thin air on their Mastercard

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: PayDay To Sell The Company Six Months After $3M Raise by blingxx(m): 4:37pm On Sep 20, 2023
Make grey no fvck up like this pple o undecided

1 Like

Re: PayDay To Sell The Company Six Months After $3M Raise by Appletek: 4:43pm On Sep 20, 2023
He wants to cashout.
Erratic fool

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: PayDay To Sell The Company Six Months After $3M Raise by abhosts(m): 4:48pm On Sep 20, 2023
Lol. Anybody that buys payday is buying a bag full of shit. Over 90 percent of their customers are unhappy due to poor service.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: PayDay To Sell The Company Six Months After $3M Raise by PlaysNigeria: 4:59pm On Sep 20, 2023
Again our fintech goes fintecking

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Beware!!! Mmm Is A Scam. / Made More Than A Million Naira From First Bank Shares! / My Prop Firm Strategy Testing Ground.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.