Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,324 members, 7,811,957 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:48 AM

How To Quickly Stop Your Car When The Brake Fails - Autos (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / How To Quickly Stop Your Car When The Brake Fails (32132 Views)

Causes Of Vehicle’s Stall When The Brake Is Applied / When The Brake Shakes On Freeway But Not On Street Road / What To Do When Your Car brake fails (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Quickly Stop Your Car When The Brake Fails by Bintdawood(f): 9:57pm On Oct 01, 2023
Zoom out😎
Re: How To Quickly Stop Your Car When The Brake Fails by Yuri141: 9:57pm On Oct 01, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:
Just quickly switch off the ignition first and do the rest manually. Check my signature for free stuffs!

very wrong. it will cause the car to skid and you will lose even more control. Turning off the car automatically means you wont be able to move your steering wheel and you need it to guide you to safety

4 Likes

Re: How To Quickly Stop Your Car When The Brake Fails by SweetDipBenny(m): 10:00pm On Oct 01, 2023
SALLYBERRY01:
I never get car but make I save this incase I later buy
Before december you'll get a car smiley

6 Likes

Re: How To Quickly Stop Your Car When The Brake Fails by FreeStuffsNG: 10:05pm On Oct 01, 2023
Yuri141:

very wrong. it will cause the car to skid and you will lose even more control. Turning off the car automatically means you wont be able to move your steering wheel and you need it to guide you to safety
You are right that in theory it looks unorthodox but I am not speaking theory and it is not all the time you have time or not moving against gravity wink

1 Like

Re: How To Quickly Stop Your Car When The Brake Fails by Yuri141: 10:07pm On Oct 01, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:
You are right that in theory it looks unorthodox but I am not speaking theory and it is not all the time you have time or not moving against gravity wink

point noted. Just to ensure that the info is balanced based on the situation

2 Likes

Re: How To Quickly Stop Your Car When The Brake Fails by salem1996: 10:15pm On Oct 01, 2023
UncleKoboko:
shocked
IF NA AUTOMATIC GEAR AND YOU WANT TO SEE YOUR ANCESTORS IN A FLASH, SWITCH THE GEAR TO "P" PARK...

Thank me later grin grin grin

I sometimes will international want to switched to P to see what will happen whenever an on 100 spedoo ....

grin grin

2 Likes

Re: How To Quickly Stop Your Car When The Brake Fails by PaulH07: 10:16pm On Oct 01, 2023
UncleKoboko:
shocked
IF NA AUTOMATIC GEAR AND YOU WANT TO SEE YOUR ANCESTORS IN A FLASH, SWITCH THE GEAR TO "P" PARK...

Thank me later grin grin grin

Lol, abeg wetin go happen?

1 Like

Re: How To Quickly Stop Your Car When The Brake Fails by PaulH07: 10:18pm On Oct 01, 2023
lonelydora:
In an automatic gear, just remove your leg from the accelerator (throttle) while the gear is in "Drive"..... the "engine braking" will slow the car down.

In a manual gear, take the car to gear 1 and leave it there.

I have heard people say "put the gear in Neutral". Don't do this, please.

In all of these, steer the vehicle by concentrating on the road and look for a barrier (like road median or tree) and face the vehicle to.

Why not in neutral please?

2 Likes

Re: How To Quickly Stop Your Car When The Brake Fails by optimusprime2(m): 10:36pm On Oct 01, 2023
Back in the days when I drove manual gear... My brakes failed on many occasions but with a manual gear car, manoeuvres were easy to pull off.

1 Like

Re: How To Quickly Stop Your Car When The Brake Fails by Lisaint(m): 10:40pm On Oct 01, 2023
Thanks for the write up..
Henceforth i will be more careful

Thou i never buy car yet

1 Like

Re: How To Quickly Stop Your Car When The Brake Fails by lonelydora: 10:44pm On Oct 01, 2023
PaulH07:

Why not in neutral please?

There is something called "engine braking" when you car is in gear without your legs on the accelerator. When you put the gear in Neutral, the car will freely move and in some cases on a sloppy road, move faster.

It's good you leave it in gear and focus on the road ahead.

2 Likes

Re: How To Quickly Stop Your Car When The Brake Fails by Gbemini(m): 10:57pm On Oct 01, 2023
Put it in neutral nd dont accelerate again , it will stop by slowing down

2 Likes

Re: How To Quickly Stop Your Car When The Brake Fails by mikool007(m): 11:02pm On Oct 01, 2023
Angrigowt:
Open door. Jump
quickest way to get a murder charge on your hands but at least you’ll be alive tho

2 Likes

Re: How To Quickly Stop Your Car When The Brake Fails by timilehin007(m): 11:10pm On Oct 01, 2023
I’ve had brake failure for uncountable time manual. I used the gear to slow down. To God it still happened to me oN Saturday from Lagos to Dangote cement factory ibese Ogun state. I knew the vehicle had break issue. It was already showing the break light. I thought I could Manage it and fix it when I returned. Blv me, I haven’t driven up to 20mins amass it got worst that I lost total control of the break. I didn’t panic cuz it wasn’t the first time it’s happened to me. I used it to Dangote and still drove it back like that and I still manage to drive 50km/hr at least

2 Likes

Re: How To Quickly Stop Your Car When The Brake Fails by tete7000(m): 11:23pm On Oct 01, 2023
iCauseTrouble:
I have had brake failures several times when I was driving manual. Thank God I was able to put it under control throughout those periods.
Most time, I even still manage to drive without brake to my mechanic.
But I have never experienced it with my automatic.

How can you have break failures several times. Village people dey follow you?

2 Likes

Re: How To Quickly Stop Your Car When The Brake Fails by tete7000(m): 11:29pm On Oct 01, 2023
lonelydora:
In an automatic gear, just remove your leg from the accelerator (throttle) while the gear is in "Drive"..... the "engine braking" will slow the car down.

In a manual gear, take the car to gear 1 and leave it there.

I have heard people say "put the gear in Neutral". Don't do this, please.

In all of these, steer the vehicle by concentrating on the road and look for a barrier (like road median or tree) and face the vehicle to.

If you are on top speed in a manual car, you can't just drop from the top gear to the lowest one, it won't work, the vehicle will skid. You still need to allow the vehicle slow down before moving to the lower gear.

1 Like

Re: How To Quickly Stop Your Car When The Brake Fails by sharpwriter(m): 11:35pm On Oct 01, 2023
tragergeorge:
what's gonna happen??
That thing don save me
My palm was under my brake I no know
I de wanted road,,I check a vehicle was coming I try the brake e strong e no hold at Al and the car fire high so the D without stepping on the pedal was making it move faster sef...
Na P I take stop the car from entering the road
Wow... Did the auto transmission got spoilt after then?

1 Like

Re: How To Quickly Stop Your Car When The Brake Fails by tete7000(m): 11:42pm On Oct 01, 2023
maureensylvia:
Thanks
If I knew this, I wouldn't haven't had that terrible accident that almost took my life September 3rd 2021

Everything happened in few seconds
I survived!
It left me with one thing... phobia for driving

I don't think I'll ever touch steering again.
No I wasn't drunk, I was avoiding a reckless Keke driver

But you didn't sound like it was a brake failure

1 Like

Re: How To Quickly Stop Your Car When The Brake Fails by tete7000(m): 11:43pm On Oct 01, 2023
Gbemini:
Put it in neutral nd dont accelerate again , it will stop by slowing down
Not when you are going downhill.

1 Like

Re: How To Quickly Stop Your Car When The Brake Fails by Chingyyy878: 11:47pm On Oct 01, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:
Just quickly switch off the ignition first and do the rest manually. Check my signature for free stuffs!

Bros abeg, Wetin you dey share?

1 Like

Re: How To Quickly Stop Your Car When The Brake Fails by tete7000(m): 11:48pm On Oct 01, 2023
tragergeorge:
Do brakes just fail like that??
For me there must be sign...
Most especially some driver's been managing the car till something bad come up or sometimes some yeye mechanic go use the car do trial by error

Brakes don't just fail if it they are well maintained, however there can be occasion when the line conveying the brake fluid ruptures resulting in loss of brake fluid and pressure leading to brake failure. I had that kind of experience once, though I was lucky a little fluid in the system managed to bring my vehicle to a stop after the brake first went flat.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Quickly Stop Your Car When The Brake Fails by jaxxy(m): 11:54pm On Oct 01, 2023
For auto if ur car has L u can put it in Low gear. engage ur hand brake as u decelerate.

1 Like

Re: How To Quickly Stop Your Car When The Brake Fails by Geo4646: 1:12am On Oct 02, 2023
👍

1 Like

Re: How To Quickly Stop Your Car When The Brake Fails by Funflipper: 1:12am On Oct 02, 2023
Carmartng:

Sponsored post

Brake failure in 2023? Is it a 1967 Peugeot 404? Modern cars are equiped with advance warning sensors so car brakes don't fail anymore like they used to back in the days.

1 Like

Re: How To Quickly Stop Your Car When The Brake Fails by Funflipper: 1:16am On Oct 02, 2023
tete7000:

How can you have break failures several times. Village people dey follow you?

We need to know the year the car was manufactured.
Re: How To Quickly Stop Your Car When The Brake Fails by Funflipper: 1:24am On Oct 02, 2023
salem1996:

I sometimes will international want to switched to P to see what will happen whenever an on 100 spedoo ....

grin grin

It will mess up your transmission.

1 Like

Re: How To Quickly Stop Your Car When The Brake Fails by gtassure: 4:05am On Oct 02, 2023
maureensylvia:
Thanks
If I knew this, I wouldn't haven't had that terrible accident that almost took my life September 3rd 2021

Everything happened in few seconds
I survived!
It left me with one thing... phobia for driving

I don't think I'll ever touch steering again.
No I wasn't drunk, I was avoiding a reckless Keke driver
You need to overcome that fear! There is no driver behind the wheel who has never experienced some major accidents. It is the courage that make the drivers. New flash, everyone have some fear while driving!
Re: How To Quickly Stop Your Car When The Brake Fails by gtassure: 4:09am On Oct 02, 2023
Truetalk3139:
It takes the grace of God for you not to panic, btw, what do you do when you lose control of your car?
Just rest and hopefully you have seatbelt strapped! There will be two outcomes, It's either you are alive with or without injuries or you are dead!
Re: How To Quickly Stop Your Car When The Brake Fails by kernniejay(m): 5:35am On Oct 02, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:
Turn off ignition and make the worst mistake of your life!
So you dont know that if ignition is off the steering is locked?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Funny Activities Of "Inspired Autos" (Fake Custom Papers And Tint Permit) / I Help People Buy Cars From Cotonuo At Cheaper Rate...no Hidden Charges / Water Dripping From Car Exhaust- A Good Or Bad Sign?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.