Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,683 members, 7,844,246 topics. Date: Wednesday, 29 May 2024 at 05:00 PM

Please I Need Help - Transfer/change Of Department - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Please I Need Help - Transfer/change Of Department (381 Views)

Department Of Petroleum Resources DPR Salary Structure / My Department/course Is Still Unaccredited. Help! / More Absurdity In Uch : See The Lifetime Head Of Department In Uch (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please I Need Help - Transfer/change Of Department by Chidumga2006(m): 5:55pm On Oct 01, 2023
I'm a student of MOUAU
I'm in 200level in computer engineering department
But I'm considering transferring from computer engineering department to computer science department
bcuz I don't have a strong background in mathematics , and I feel that computer science is a little bit less maths-intensive compared to computer engineering , I had wanted to learn programming and I thought that computer engineering would be good for me as it is a combination of computer science and electrical engineering and as such I'll have the background of a computer science ( I mean the programming background/aspect of it ) and also the background of an electrical engineer ( the hardware and embedded systems aspect of it ) , but when I was in 100lvl first semester, I found mathematics very difficult and I didn't even solve anything during our exams , I did " guesswork " throughout the mathematics exams and I think our maths course is a 3 unit course , and things got worst as I proceeded to 2nd semester, as we were now offering two maths courses which were 3 unit course and I actually missed the test for one of the mathematics courses ( which is think is 30marks ) and I didn't even buy the workbook we were actually told to buy for the course and for the other maths course , I told someone to help me get the book and help me write the assignment we were given on it and help me submit it cuz I wasn't around and the worst was that I forgot to send him my matric number and the person submitted it like that , things just got more difficult for me in my second semester maths exams , though the gss courses , chemistry course and eng courses ( general engineering courses) were okay for me including physics Sha , though physics gave me a tough time due to the mathematical calculations in it which is a much when compared to chemistry.

I was actually told to reach a CGPA of 3.0 before I'll be allowed to transfer and which I will buy the application form which is up to atleast 10k and also pay additional 20k for the change/transfer of department stuff

I'm actually giving it a thought as I don't know if I shud go ahead with it if I were to reach the 3.0 CGPA , as my 100lvl first and second semester results which will be used to calculate my CGPA to know if I reach their minimum CGPA requirements will be out in 200lvl first and second semester, which means that I'll be entering 300lvl by the time the results are out , and I was told that I can still transfer to computer science department and start with them in 300lvl , that I won't be stepped down if I shud do the transfer , which all together might mean that i won't/might not be able to transfer to another department in and start with them in 200lvl in MOUAU .

please guys I know my writeup was long , I apologize for that , but I need you guys advice and suggestions on this matter as it would go a long way for me and help/assist me in making decisions concerning the transfer of department stuff , bcuz I'm confused

and I don't want to transfer to computer science department and regret it later on in life , as I heard that the computer science of a course isn't that lucrative in Nigeria

and I don't also want to regret not transferring to computer science department later on if I shud go further on in my computer engineering course and God forbid it , I don't graduate with a good grade due to the amount of mathematics in computer engineering , as I heard that computer engineering is maths-intensive, and not just computer engineering but engineering courses as a whole

Guyz plz I need your help

lalasticlala
mynd44
plz I need this post/writeup to enter front page
Re: Please I Need Help - Transfer/change Of Department by Owen247: 9:03pm On Oct 01, 2023
For me i would say, have patience with time all those yeye general courses will pass away, then you can know and enjoy your dept better whilst discovering your potentials and strength.

But do your mind!.

1 Like

Re: Please I Need Help - Transfer/change Of Department by sageb: 9:26pm On Oct 01, 2023
Chidumga2006:
I'm a student of MOUAU
I'm in 200level in computer engineering department
But I'm considering transferring from computer engineering department to computer science department
bcuz I don't have a strong background in mathematics , and I feel that computer science is a little bit less maths-intensive compared to computer engineering , I had wanted to learn programming and I thought that computer engineering would be good for me as it is a combination of computer science and electrical engineering and as such I'll have the background of a computer science ( I mean the programming background/aspect of it ) and also the background of an electrical engineer ( the hardware and embedded systems aspect of it ) , but when I was in 100lvl first semester, I found mathematics very difficult and I didn't even solve anything during our exams , I did " guesswork " throughout the mathematics exams and I think our maths course is a 3 unit course , and things got worst as I proceeded to 2nd semester, as we were now offering two maths courses which were 3 unit course and I actually missed the test for one of the mathematics courses ( which is think is 30marks ) and I didn't even buy the workbook we were actually told to buy for the course and for the other maths course , I told someone to help me get the book and help me write the assignment we were given on it and help me submit it cuz I wasn't around and the worst was that I forgot to send him my matric number and the person submitted it like that , things just got more difficult for me in my second semester maths exams , though the gss courses , chemistry course and eng courses ( general engineering courses) were okay for me including physics Sha , though physics gave me a tough time due to the mathematical calculations in it which is a much when compared to chemistry.

I was actually told to reach a CGPA of 3.0 before I'll be allowed to transfer and which I will buy the application form which is up to atleast 10k and also pay additional 20k for the change/transfer of department stuff

I'm actually giving it a thought as I don't know if I shud go ahead with it if I were to reach the 3.0 CGPA , as my 100lvl first and second semester results which will be used to calculate my CGPA to know if I reach their minimum CGPA requirements will be out in 200lvl first and second semester, which means that I'll be entering 300lvl by the time the results are out , and I was told that I can still transfer to computer science department and start with them in 300lvl , that I won't be stepped down if I shud do the transfer , which all together might mean that i won't/might not be able to transfer to another department in and start with them in 200lvl in MOUAU .

please guys I know my writeup was long , I apologize for that , but I need you guys advice and suggestions on this matter as it would go a long way for me and help/assist me in making decisions concerning the transfer of department stuff , bcuz I'm confused

and I don't want to transfer to computer science department and regret it later on in life , as I heard that the computer science of a course isn't that lucrative in Nigeria

and I don't also want to regret not transferring to computer science department later on if I shud go further on in my computer engineering course and God forbid it , I don't graduate with a good grade due to the amount of mathematics in computer engineering , as I heard that computer engineering is maths-intensive, and not just computer engineering but engineering courses as a whole

Guyz plz I need your help

lalasticlala
mynd44
plz I need this post/writeup to enter front page

Have you lay your hands on the Computer science department courses and credit unit module manual.
If you do, you will know that the department take courses of mathematics/statistics dept up till the second semester of 300 level.
In 400level, you will go for 9 months/1 year internship.

You cannot drop mathematics/statistics courses in computer science department so if you're not good in mathematics, you know what to do.

1 Like

Re: Please I Need Help - Transfer/change Of Department by Epurogonogono(m): 8:05am On Oct 02, 2023
Your want to move from computer engineering to computer science and you are not good at maths ๐Ÿคจ๐Ÿ™„?

From your write up, it seems like you don't even know what you want and where you heading to ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜’.

Have you even checked the courses that would be offered in the computer science department?

If your goal is just coding, maybe you should consider software engineering (you can even learn the aspect you want to focus on outside the university) instead of computer science, though, it doesn't mean that you would escape mathematics, because I don't think there is any computer related major that can be studied in the university without some mathematics being involved.

So try to enjoy mathematics and make improvements on your ability in it, if you want to continue in this path.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Vacancy For An Interior Design Instructor In Ibadan / I Am Recruiting For / OPEN: Orange African Social Venture Prize 2015

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.