Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,748 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:57 PM

What Is The Maximum Daily Deposit In Nigerian Banks? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / What Is The Maximum Daily Deposit In Nigerian Banks? (31060 Views)

Free Flow Of Yuan In Nigerian Banks - What You Need To Know / 6 Types Of People You Meet In Nigerian Banks / Sort Codes For Nigerian Banks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Maximum Daily Deposit In Nigerian Banks? by coninse: 11:56am On Oct 21, 2011
Can anyone please let me know the daily deposit limit set by CBN?[color=#000099][/color]
Re: What Is The Maximum Daily Deposit In Nigerian Banks? by Seun(m): 11:57am On Oct 21, 2011
150,000 naira for individuals and 1 million naira for companies.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Maximum Daily Deposit In Nigerian Banks? by coninse: 12:03pm On Oct 21, 2011
Thanks Seun. If the deposit is above 1 million naira in an individual account, is there any alert trigger? Will the account be frozen? I am curious and would like to know.
Re: What Is The Maximum Daily Deposit In Nigerian Banks? by Seun(m): 12:28pm On Oct 21, 2011
They'll charge you 10%. This is under the CBN cash limit policy which has not been enforced yet.
Re: What Is The Maximum Daily Deposit In Nigerian Banks? by Kx: 12:30pm On Oct 21, 2011
Seun:

They'll charge you 10%. This is under the CBN cash limit policy which has not been enforced yet.
Ultimately,Who earns the 10%, bank P+L a/c or CBN?
Re: What Is The Maximum Daily Deposit In Nigerian Banks? by Pukkah: 1:43pm On Oct 21, 2011
Technically, there's no daily limit on the amount you can deposit into your account. However, you'll pay the charges from certain amounts (individual or corporate) as already explained above.

The charge goes to the bank which in turn needs to pay for the sorting and processing of its cash by Cash Processing Centres.
Re: What Is The Maximum Daily Deposit In Nigerian Banks? by coninse: 1:58pm On Oct 21, 2011
Thank you all for your responses. Do you know about the current CBN policy which is still in effect on the daily cash deposit limit?
Re: What Is The Maximum Daily Deposit In Nigerian Banks? by Pukkah: 6:01pm On Oct 21, 2011
^^^Is it about the threshold of reporting of transactions to EFCC? If yes, it's N1m for individuals and N5m for corporate bodies. If no, reply.
Re: What Is The Maximum Daily Deposit In Nigerian Banks? by coninse: 7:42pm On Oct 21, 2011
Naija,
Re: What Is The Maximum Daily Deposit In Nigerian Banks? by Godmother(f): 10:06am On Oct 22, 2011
I never knew this. So they charge you if you deposit more than 150, 000. Hmmmm
Re: What Is The Maximum Daily Deposit In Nigerian Banks? by Remii(m): 10:15am On Oct 22, 2011
coninse:

Thanks Seun. If the deposit is above 1 million naira in an individual account, is there any alert trigger? Will the account be frozen? I am curious and would like to know.

I think this applies only to cash deposit, Cheques and other etransfers are still "as is"
Re: What Is The Maximum Daily Deposit In Nigerian Banks? by Abujabir24: 10:22am On Oct 22, 2011
y wil it be 150,000? Even yesterday i deposited 300,000 into my account. Nd ntin happend, i was alerted normally.
Re: What Is The Maximum Daily Deposit In Nigerian Banks? by anishe(m): 10:41am On Oct 22, 2011
There is no charge whatsoever on deposit. you are only charged 10% when you withdraw in excess of the limit set by the CBN. SHIKENA. Always get your facts right.
Re: What Is The Maximum Daily Deposit In Nigerian Banks? by pkv(m): 11:15am On Oct 22, 2011
Pukkah:

^^^Is it about the threshold of reporting of transactions to EFCC? If yes, it's N1m for individuals and N5m for corporate bodies. If no, reply.
are the realy rigid about dat?!was at d bank manager's office last wednesday,in walk this big man who wanted 2 deposit N4m in2 his savings a/c.d bank manager xcused me in d midst of our transaction 2 attend 2 oga big man.no questions no efcc just no nothing.mr big man neva spend half an hour and was gone.my question is dat r some individuals e.g senators immune 2 such regulations?
Re: What Is The Maximum Daily Deposit In Nigerian Banks? by Nobody: 11:50am On Oct 22, 2011
Woo, so u still have limitation on depositing, i thought is is only withdrawing, anyone to clearify?
Re: What Is The Maximum Daily Deposit In Nigerian Banks? by gascoign1(m): 12:13pm On Oct 22, 2011
odiaero:

Woo, so u still have limitation on depositing, i thought is is only withdrawing, anyone to clearify?

Depending on the type of account you operate, normally there is no limit to any amount you can withdraw on saving account as a matter of fact the CBN is trying to enforce a daily limit rules which has not be implemented yet,
Re: What Is The Maximum Daily Deposit In Nigerian Banks? by Pukkah: 12:50pm On Oct 22, 2011
@anishe, you will pay a charge on both your daily cumulative deposits and withdrawals if they exceed N150,000 (as an individual) and N1m for companies with effect from January 1, 2012 if you are in Lagos and from June 2012 if you are in another part of the country.

These limits are different from the current limits which I explained earlier on which banks are expected to report transactions to EFCC.
Re: What Is The Maximum Daily Deposit In Nigerian Banks? by sheriffman(m): 12:55pm On Oct 22, 2011
If deposits truly ve a limit THEN WHAT HAPPENS TO SAVINGS ACCOUNT HOLDERS WHO DO NOT HAVE ACCESS TO DEPOSIT VIA CHEQUES?
Re: What Is The Maximum Daily Deposit In Nigerian Banks? by Pukkah: 1:09pm On Oct 22, 2011
^^^ An individual savings account holder who desires to deposit more than N150,000 per day (when the scheme takes off) would either pay the sum of N100 per N1,000 or open a current account wherein he can pay in up to N1m before a charge of N200 per N1,000 applies.

Mind you, a company can also have a savings account in which case the limit before the charge is N1m per day.
Re: What Is The Maximum Daily Deposit In Nigerian Banks? by Nobody: 1:33pm On Oct 22, 2011
Hello all, don't get it mixed up. Here's some clarification on the CBN policy, read up!
Key Part of Cashless Policy Directive by the Central Bank of Nigeria:
Commencing from June 1, 2012 (January 1, 2012 in Lagos), a daily cumulative limit of N150, 000 and N1, 000,000 on free cash withdrawals and lodgements by individual and corporate customers respectively.
Individuals and corporate organizations that make cash transactions above the limits will be charged a penal fee of N100/thousand and N200/thousand respectively for amounts above the cumulative limits. Furthermore, 3rd party cheques above N150, 000 shall not be eligible for encashment over the counter. Value for such cheques shall be received through the clearing house.
Banks will cease cash in transit lodgement services rendered to merchant-customers from June 1, 2012 (to be replaced by CBN licensed CIT providers)
The policy shall apply to both private and public sector transactions.
All financial institutions including Deposit Money Banks (DMB), Savings and Loans, Mortgage and Microfinance Banks shall comply accordingly.
WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW: Impact on Individual-

The implication of the policy to you as an individual is that with effect from January 1st, 2012 in Lagos you would be charged whenever your cash transactions exceed =N= 150,000 (Both Withdrawal and deposit). Example 1: If Mr. ABC deposited =N=100,000 into your bank account, you would only be eligible to withdraw =N=50,000 without paying the penal fee. The moment you are withdrawing above =N=50,000, you would be charged =N=100 for every thousand that is in excess of =N=150,000. In a layman language, If Mr. Bosun paid =N=100,000 into Mrs. Ngozi account and she want to withdraw all the money across the counter, Mrs. Ngozi’s bank would charge her =N=5,000 for withdrawing the =N=100,000. The calculation is based on =N=100 for every thousand in excess, in this example the excess thousand is =N=50,000. Therefore, you divide 100 by 1000 and multiplied it with 50,000 (100/1000*50,

1 Like

Re: What Is The Maximum Daily Deposit In Nigerian Banks? by ochukoccna: 1:37pm On Oct 22, 2011
akyns:

Hello all, don't get it mixed up. Here's some clarification on the CBN policy, read up!
Key Part of Cashless Policy Directive by the Central Bank of Nigeria:
Commencing from June 1, 2012 (January 1, 2012 in Lagos), a daily cumulative limit of N150, 000 and N1, 000,000 on free cash withdrawals and lodgements by individual and corporate customers respectively.
Individuals and corporate organizations that make cash transactions above the limits will be charged a penal fee of N100/thousand and N200/thousand respectively for amounts above the cumulative limits. Furthermore, 3rd party cheques above N150, 000 shall not be eligible for encashment over the counter. Value for such cheques shall be received through the clearing house.
Banks will cease cash in transit lodgement services rendered to merchant-customers from June 1, 2012 (to be replaced by CBN licensed CIT providers)
The policy shall apply to both private and public sector transactions.
All financial institutions including Deposit Money Banks (DMB), Savings and Loans, Mortgage and Microfinance Banks shall comply accordingly.
WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW: Impact on Individual-

The implication of the policy to you as an individual is that with effect from January 1st, 2012 in Lagos you would be charged whenever your cash transactions exceed =N= 150,000 (Both Withdrawal and deposit). Example 1: If Mr. ABC deposited =N=100,000 into your bank account, you would only be eligible to withdraw =N=50,000 without paying the penal fee. The moment you are withdrawing above =N=50,000, you would be charged =N=100 for every thousand that is in excess of =N=150,000. In a layman language, If Mr. Bosun paid =N=100,000 into Mrs. Ngozi account and she want to withdraw all the money across the counter, Mrs. Ngozi’s bank would charge her =N=5,000 for withdrawing the =N=100,000. The calculation is based on =N=100 for every thousand in excess, in this example the excess thousand is =N=50,000. Therefore, you divide 100 by 1000 and multiplied it with 50,000 (100/1000*50,

10%! shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
That's a killing! embarassed embarassed embarassed
Imagine milking peeps off their money.
Na tithe?
Re: What Is The Maximum Daily Deposit In Nigerian Banks? by Nobody: 2:00pm On Oct 22, 2011
ochukoccna:

10%! shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
That's a killing! embarassed embarassed embarassed
Imagine milking peeps off their money.
Na tithe?

Lol! I guess its to discourage peeps carrying too much cash around.
Rather than incur such costs on withdrawal, i'd rather pay with my debit card!
Re: What Is The Maximum Daily Deposit In Nigerian Banks? by bereal16(m): 2:55pm On Oct 22, 2011
If the said policy is taking effect, then our markets and every other business offices should be giving deadlines to start accepting debit cards for payments of bills and what have you. Internet shopping should also be encouraged within the country,
Re: What Is The Maximum Daily Deposit In Nigerian Banks? by Pukkah: 3:13pm On Oct 22, 2011
I think the awareness among the people about the commencement of the limits is low. CBN needs to increase the awareness especially in Lagos where the implementation is just around the corner.
Re: What Is The Maximum Daily Deposit In Nigerian Banks? by walcolm(m): 8:28pm On Oct 22, 2011
Pukkah:

I think the awareness among the people about the commencement of the limits is low. CBN needs to increase the awareness especially in Lagos where the implementation is just around the corner.
the major problem i see when this kicks off is the amount of unnecessary stress people will be put through and it will only result in more people keeping their money outside the banking system rather than taking it to the banking system

there is still a high level of unreliability in e-banking in nigeria (online transfers and POS).
the amount of paperwork to open an account is at best ridiculous.
banks are always looking for all manners of excuse to charge people who hold account with them
Re: What Is The Maximum Daily Deposit In Nigerian Banks? by Ibraheem1905: 6:25pm On Sep 30, 2014
Deposit limit is not 150,000. It is withdrawal limit at ATM dat is 150,000

1 Like

Re: What Is The Maximum Daily Deposit In Nigerian Banks? by Nobody: 4:45am On Jun 02, 2015
Do these charges apply if i do debit card or cheque deposits?

(1) (Reply)

Sale Of Polaris Bank: CBN Sets Record Straight / Gtb To Close All Their Branches At 1pm Due To Fuel Scarcity / Three Banks To Take Over Etisalat Nigeria Over N541.8 Billion Debt

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.