Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,456 members, 7,816,063 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:42 AM

Is Lagos A Good Place To Build A Refinery Like Dangote Refinery? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Is Lagos A Good Place To Build A Refinery Like Dangote Refinery? (30467 Views)

Is Lagos The Best Place For Dangote Refinery? / BUA Group Signs Technology Deal With France's Axens For A Refinery In Akwa Ibom / Latest Update from Dangote Refinery, Ibeju-Lekki, Lagos (Photos and Videos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Lagos A Good Place To Build A Refinery Like Dangote Refinery? by ngoremeka: 11:23am On Mar 21, 2021
LAGOSIANS IS REFINERY GOOD OR BAD FOR YOU SINCE IT IS LOCATED IN LAGOS?

Why I ask is because, in my own opinion, what is happening in oil rich areas might happen in Lagos. Things like air pollution land pollution especially oil spills, which will reduce the value of land in those area. I don't think people will be able to go to the beach to relax anymore! You see we should be thinking of the future and not "I wan chop am now now" mentality and that is why I say is it GOOD OR BAD? SHARE YOUR OPINION

52 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Is Lagos A Good Place To Build A Refinery Like Dangote Refinery? by BlueSparks: 11:25am On Mar 21, 2021
I've maintained that many heavy industry across the world are built in forests. While it is good in many areas, I believe it would have been better in forests like in Ijebu area. As the presence will lead to a surge in productivity in such areas.

Although, it may be connected to a railway grid, or ferried through the Atlantic, there's going to be massive shakings in that entire part of Lagos when it starts. Lagos FTZ is bound to benefit, and Lagos generally. But who knows. There's plenty of advantages and disadvantages. It's better we watch

We don't still know the impact of that refinery on the environment and human lives in the area. I'm paying keen attention to this in the first 5 years of its operation to see how it goes.

More Wins to him, more Wins to Lagos

70 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Is Lagos A Good Place To Build A Refinery Like Dangote Refinery? by UkBalesNig(f): 11:27am On Mar 21, 2021
Certainly

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Lagos A Good Place To Build A Refinery Like Dangote Refinery? by yomi007k(m): 11:29am On Mar 21, 2021
BlueSparks:
I've maintained that many heavy industry across the world are built in forests. While it is good in many areas, I believe it would have been better in forests like in Ijebu area. As the presence will lead to a surge in productivity in such areas.

We don't still know the impact of that refinery on the environment and human lives in the area. I'm paying keen attention to this in the first 5 years of its operation to see how it goes.

Can you guarantee safety and security in those areas?

If you were Dangote, can you put your money in such a place? I hope you have done businesses before. Supervison and management alone is a serious task.

It is enough risk building a refinery. It is much bigger risk siting them in such locations.

And if you are talking about impact on environment, I am sure they wont want to be negligent as alot of educated persons are around and will be ready to take it up.

53 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Is Lagos A Good Place To Build A Refinery Like Dangote Refinery? by BlueSparks: 11:31am On Mar 21, 2021
yomi007k:

If you were Dangote, can you put your money in such a place? I hope you have done businesses before. Supervison and management alone is a serious task.

It is enough risk building a refinery. It is much bigger risk siting them in such locations.

K

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Lagos A Good Place To Build A Refinery Like Dangote Refinery? by aminusodiq(m): 11:31am On Mar 21, 2021
densely populated area
Re: Is Lagos A Good Place To Build A Refinery Like Dangote Refinery? by yomi007k(m): 11:32am On Mar 21, 2021
BlueSparks:

I'm building many industries in the forest as I speak. They are multiple and are all doing fine

I hope this answers your questions

Good for you.

4 Likes

Re: Is Lagos A Good Place To Build A Refinery Like Dangote Refinery? by aminusodiq(m): 11:32am On Mar 21, 2021
BlueSparks:

I'm building many industries in the forest as I speak. They are multiple and are all doing fine

I hope this answers your questions
boss abeg... I need job... presently based in Lagos... any connect... pls I'm available. b.tech. agric economics

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Lagos A Good Place To Build A Refinery Like Dangote Refinery? by BlueSparks: 11:32am On Mar 21, 2021
yomi007k:

Good for you.

Your wahala. Let me be plz
Re: Is Lagos A Good Place To Build A Refinery Like Dangote Refinery? by Hashabiah: 11:35am On Mar 21, 2021
Lagosians have not thought of the long term effect of having a refinery in Lagos. But I know by the time people start swallowing atmospheric pollution in the form smog and flue gases, then they will wake up and cry.

34 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Is Lagos A Good Place To Build A Refinery Like Dangote Refinery? by BlueSparks: 11:36am On Mar 21, 2021
Hashabiah:
Lagosian have not thought of the long term effect of having a refinery in Lagos. But I know by the time people start swallowing atmospheric pollution in the form smog and flue gases, then they will wake up and cry.

That's what they fail to pay attention to. Greed and the lust of wanting to overtake everyone is blinding eyes to reality

My family stay close to the area. I've told them all to run. And vacate the territory that the money people would generate would be used in treating cancer and all. I was around Ajah before.

From the hold up to the unhealthy air, I calculated the completion time of the refinery and made sure I ran as far as possible to a complete far place from that entire axis.

Before the refinery, Lagos has a highly toxic air. Now to add to it, what would be the resultant cumulative environmental impact on living, air, the Atlantic ocean, traffic etc.

Nigerians and greed are 5 and 6. Thats why Nigerians only look at Pros without looking at Cons. I ain't buying a single foot of land in that terrain. Lai lai

72 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Is Lagos A Good Place To Build A Refinery Like Dangote Refinery? by Hashabiah: 11:46am On Mar 21, 2021
BlueSparks:

That's what they fail to pay attention to. Greed and the lust of wanting to overtake everyone is blinding eyes to reality

My family stay close to the area. I've told them all to run. And vacate the territory that the money people would generate would be used in treating cancer and all. I was around Ajah before.

From the hold up to the unhealthy air, I calculated the completion time of the refinery and made sure I ran as far as possible to a complete far place from that entire axis.

Before the refinery, Lagos has a highly toxic air. Now to add to it, what would be the resultant cumulative environmental impact on loving, air, the Atlantic ocean, traffic etc.

Nigerians and greed are 5 and 6. Thats why Nigerians only look at Pros without looking at Cons. I ain't buying a single foot of land in that terrain. Lai lai
You are right. The pollution in lagos will not only harm the air, but it will also harm the environment in terms of crude waste disposal. I just hope that the government will be able to make laws that will enable better management of pollution in that state

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Lagos A Good Place To Build A Refinery Like Dangote Refinery? by BlueSparks: 11:49am On Mar 21, 2021
Hashabiah:
You are right. The pollution in lagos will not only harm the air, but it will also harm the environment in terms of crude waste disposal. I just hope that the government will be able to make laws that will enable better management pollution in that state

I'm not even looking at the crude waste which I want to believe they'll have schematics in its blueprints to accommodate waste disposal

What about the heat it generates?

If we work the maths, a cooling pot of water boils water to 100 C Celsius and becomes hot. Let's use that as a multiplier effect.

650,000 barrels daily

Fertilizer production

It's going to generate a heat wave SW has never witnessed before. Mark this comment down I said so. Even the wide Atlantic ocean won't be able to absorb the heat completely. Because before now traffic heat, and industrial capacity has been generating large amount of heat waves.

We can't be too astute in these discussions. The back lash will come. They hate Lagos, they aren't from Lagos Bla Bla bla

My own concern is I've moved myself and my family. Far as possible. I may return, b it only after I've studied the environmental impact for the first 3 to 5 years of it's operations.

62 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Is Lagos A Good Place To Build A Refinery Like Dangote Refinery? by BlueSparks: 11:54am On Mar 21, 2021
Let me quote

Pansophist

Daddytime

Franchasng

Aconomist

I'd love to hear your perspectives in this issue gentlemen

1 Like

Re: Is Lagos A Good Place To Build A Refinery Like Dangote Refinery? by Hashabiah: 11:56am On Mar 21, 2021
BlueSparks:

I'm not even looking at the crude waste which I want to believe they'll have schematics in its blueprints to accommodate waste disposal

If we work the maths, a cooling pot of water boils water to 100 C Celsius and becomes hot. Let's use that as a multiplier effect.

650,000 barrels daily

Fertilizer production

It's going to generate a heat wave SW has never witnessed before. Mark this comment down I said so. Even the wide Atlantic ocean won't be able to absorb the heat completely. Because before now traffic heat, and industrial capacity has been generating large amount of heat waves.

We can't be too astute in these discussions. The back lash will come. They hate Lagos, they aren't from Lagos Bla Bla bla

My own concern is I've moved myself and my family. Far as possible. I may return, b it only after I've studied the environmental impact for the first 3 to 5 years of it's operations.
Boiling water? Hahahaha...the heat is above that my brother. Most refineries deal with super-heated water. And that boils above 100 degrees. We have not even mentioned the gas flaring and the oxides of sulphur that will be unleashed from the flares. But who am I to complain. After all, I am not in lagos and I am not an indigene.

44 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Lagos A Good Place To Build A Refinery Like Dangote Refinery? by motherlode: 11:57am On Mar 21, 2021
yomi007k:

If you were Dangote, can you put your money in such a place? I hope you have done businesses before. Supervision and management alone is a serious task.

And if you are talking about impact on environment, I am sure they wont want to be negligent as alot of educated persons are around and will be ready to take it up.

You made some very valid points...

As we know today, the knowledge gap is quite different now. It would only be folly on the side of Lagos state government and the surrounding environment if a repeat of what happened or is currently happening in Niger Delta surfaces in Lagos.

I certainly don't want to believe that the citizenry will be as negligent as they were many years back.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Lagos A Good Place To Build A Refinery Like Dangote Refinery? by BlueSparks: 11:58am On Mar 21, 2021
Hashabiah:
Boiling water? Hahahaha...the heat is above that my brother. Most refineries deal with super-heated water. And that boils above 100 degrees. We have not even mentioned the gas flaring and the oxides of sulphur that will be unleashed from the flares. But who am I to complain. After all, I am not in lagos and I am not an indigene.

I just used it as a reference point.

I understand the scope of the heat from a refinery, many Lagosians or SW have never experienced it. I stay on this stand point with a 98% on my stance that most Southend have not experienced the heat wave refineries generate

They should go and ask people in Bayelsa, Kwale, PortHarcourt. Those ones will give then a decent accurate perspective on the subject matter.

When it gets so hot at nights, people go into streams to Bury themselves at night cause the heat is scorching and killing. This one I know first hand, I come from communities with refineries. And all of those oil and gas installations. So when I see people rushing to go buy lands saying a gold rush will occur. I feel have hey considered the cons? Cause when these monies comes, it brings in irreversible immune degenerative sickness with it which the money will be spent on back again

So what's the point?

47 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Is Lagos A Good Place To Build A Refinery Like Dangote Refinery? by motherlode: 11:59am On Mar 21, 2021
BlueSparks:

I am also glad there is a focus shift away from the aspect of crude waste. However, this area shouldn't be totally ignored.

About that heat of a thing?

The truth is that there is no certainty that this won't happen again in Lagos with respect to the refinery being built. I schooled in Badagry (A boarding secondary school in between Iworo and Ajido community) and i can categorically tell you that we felt tortured by the heat waves emitted due to excessive gas flaring from West African Gas Pipeline Company Ltd (WAGPCo) jointly owned by Chevron West African Gas Pipeline Ltd, Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation, Shell Overseas Holdings Limited, Takoradi Power Company Limited, Societe Togolaise de Gaz and Societe BenGaz S.A.. You can imagine in a boarding school where we couldn't sleep in our hostels due to abnormal heat and low air quality, we had to make do with the front of our classrooms and the open fields. Just so pathetic!

The communities are still being affected today and nothing is being done as we speak. So many agitations yet no result! The fact that institutions in this country don't check the gross inadequacies of these companies is a big blow on how much justice the communities around can get.

The Nigerian legislation with respect to gas flaring as stipulated in 1969 mandates every company to cease such acts within 5 years of establishment. There was zero achievement with this legislation and another was set up in 1979 called the Associated Gas Re-Injection Act Number 99 of 1979, where the Nigerian government required oil corporations operating in Nigeria to guarantee zero flares by January 1, 1984. I don't need to tell you this is 2021 already!

Besides, do you also know that the Nigerian government makes money from gas flaring. The Act as established in 1979 allowed some conditions for specific exemptions or the payment of a fee which as subsequently shot up to $3.50 for every 1000 standard cubic feet of gas flared as at January, 2008. These fines are quite very easy to pay by these companies given the fact that majority of these fines would still go unremitted!

Last time i checked, Nigeria is the 6th largest gas flaring country in the world and the 2nd largest in Africa. In 2016, a 2020 target was set to achieve zero gas flaring by the then minister of state for petroleum (Ibe Kachukwu)... This is 2021, gas is still being flared heavily and rumour says there is another push for 2030!

We will get there someday!

54 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Lagos A Good Place To Build A Refinery Like Dangote Refinery? by Hashabiah: 12:09pm On Mar 21, 2021
BlueSparks:

I just used it as a reference point.

I understand the scope of the heat from a refinery, many Lagosians or SW have never experienced it. I stay on this stand point with a 98% on my stance that most Southend have not experienced the heat wave refineries generate

They should go and ask people in Bayelsa, Kwale, PortHarcourt. Those ones will give then a decent accurate perspective on the subject matter.

When it gets so hot at nights, people go into streams to Bury themselves at night cause the heat is scorching and killing. This one I know first hand, I come from communities with refineries. And all of those oil and gas installations. So when I see people rushing to go buy lands saying a gold rush will occur. I feel have hey considered the cons? Cause when these monies comes, it brings in irreversible immune degenerative sickness with it which the money will be spent on back again

So what's the point?
True talk sha. May God help us.

1 Like

Re: Is Lagos A Good Place To Build A Refinery Like Dangote Refinery? by franchasng: 12:17pm On Mar 21, 2021
Very interesting topic going on here.

You know, many people think Americans and Europeans are mad when they started abandoning their light industries and started moving productions to Asia, mostly China.

They were doing it to save their dying environment being polluted by several industrial productions. China being a country that doesn't care about environmental hazard, accepted those industries some decades ago and today environmental pollution is killing China that some weeks, you can hardly see beyond 1 meter in Beijing and Shanghai.

The refinery will definitely have serious negative impact on Lagos state environment of course. But the leadership of Lagos state is more concerned with the revenue it would generate for them in terms of tax returns and all other direct and indirect levies.

This is the same mistake Nigerian leaders made with allowing only Lagos seaports to function optimally thinking they were shortchanging some sections of the country but today, Apapa is a no go area. The whole area is messed up that people are relocating from Apapa unlike before that Apapa was among the glories of Lagos.

Same thing will happen in Ibeju Lekki with this Dangote refinery.

Dangote is a black man not even a Whiteman. Whitemen couldn't manage the adverse effects of heavy industries in their region talk more of a monopolistic black business man like Aliko Dangote.

This made me to put my land at Ibeju Lekki for sale even though many people project that it would be the next Banana Island in terms of real estate appreciation, but I pity those planning to go and live there with their family members.

The reason we have cancer and several unprintable terminal diseases in the Western countries is as a result of heavy industrialization which they are seriously campaigning for collaboration to save the earth through climate change initiatives people like Prince Charles the waiting King of England have been busy campaigning for along with US President Joe Biden and many other world leaders.

The only thing saving the western countries from the serious adverse effects of these heavy industries is their wonderful Healthcare system which Nigeria don't have.

Such project ought to have been sited in a thick forest with lots of trees and nearby sea/ocean to cushion the pollution.

I developed some breathing related issues after living in some heavily industrialized cities in Asia, and I am still struggling with it. So I pity those living around the refinery when it will start full operation.

Cc: bluesparks

118 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Is Lagos A Good Place To Build A Refinery Like Dangote Refinery? by BlueSparks: 12:35pm On Mar 21, 2021
franchasng:
Very interesting topic going on here.

You know, many people think Americans and Europeans are mad when they started abandoning their light industries and started moving productions to Asia, mostly China.

They were doing it to save their dying environment being polluted by several industrial productions. China being a country that doesn't care about environmental hazard, accepted those industries some decades ago and today environmental pollution is killing China that some weeks, you can hardly see beyond 1 meter in Beijing and Shanghai.

The refinery will definitely have serious negative impact on Lagos state environment of course. But the leadership of Lagos state is more concerned with the revenue it would generate for them in terms of tax returns and all other direct and indirect levies.

This is the same mistake Nigerian leaders made with allowing only Lagos seaports to function optimally thinking they were shortchanging some sections of the country but today, Apapa is a no go area. The whole area is messed up that people are relocating from Apapa unlike before that Apapa was among the glories of Lagos.

Same thing will happen in Ibeju Lekki with this Dangote refinery.

Dangote is a black man not even a Whiteman. Whitemen couldn't manage the adverse effects of heavy industries in their region talk more of a monopolistic black business man like Aliko Dangote.

This made me to put my land at Ibeju Lekki for sale even though many people project that it would be the next Banana Island in terms of real estate appreciation, but I pity those planning to go and live there with their family members.

The reason we have cancer and several unprintable terminal diseases in the Western countries is as a result of heavy industrialization which they are seriously campaigning for collaboration to save the earth through climate change initiatives people like Prince Charles the waiting King of England have been busy campaigning for along with US President Joe Biden and many other world leaders.

The only thing saving the western countries from the serious adverse effects of these heavy industries is their wonderful Healthcare system which Nigeria don't have.

Such project ought to have been sited in a thick forest with lots of trees and nearby sea/ocean to cushion the pollution.

I developed some breathing related issues after living in some heavily industrialized cities in Asia, and I am still struggling with it. So I pity those living around the refinery when it will start full operation.

Cc: bluesparks

My brother how you dey. And the doctor grin

I go address you later. Good to get your objective analysis.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Lagos A Good Place To Build A Refinery Like Dangote Refinery? by franchasng: 12:55pm On Mar 21, 2021
BlueSparks:

My brother how you dey. And the doctor grin

I go address you later. Good to get your objective analysis.
we cool lol

4 Likes

Re: Is Lagos A Good Place To Build A Refinery Like Dangote Refinery? by yomi007k(m): 12:57pm On Mar 21, 2021
motherlode:

You made some very valid points...

As we know today, the knowledge gap is quite different now. It would only be folly on the side of Lagos state government and the surrounding environment if a repeat of what happened or is currently happening in Niger Delta surfaces in Lagos.

I certainly don't want to believe that the citizenry will be as negligent as they were many years back.

Thank you.
Re: Is Lagos A Good Place To Build A Refinery Like Dangote Refinery? by Aconomist: 2:06pm On Mar 21, 2021
ngoremeka:
LAGOSIANS IS REFINERY GOOD OR BAD FOR YOU SINCE IT IS LOCATED IN LAGOS?

Why do I ask is because in my own opinion what is happening in oi rich areas might happen in lagos thing like air pollution land pollution especially oil spill which will reduce the value of land in those area .I don't think people will be able to go to the beach to relax anymore!you see we should be thinking of the future and not" I wan chop am now now" mentality and that is why I say is it GOOD OR BAD SHARE YOUR OPINION

Dangote chose the perfect location for his refinery because Lagos is the only functional state government in Nigeria. He had originally planned to locate in it Oyo, but the fools over there frustrated him. By choosing the Lekki free trade zone, he doesn't have to worry about the land use problems that face other parts of the country.

In terms of safety and pollution, refineries are only dangerous to people living within a 30 mile radius, and Dangote's site is roughly 40 miles away from mainland Lagos. Obviously, the people who live in Lekki will face much more risk. But it can't be much more dangerous than their dirty gasoline fumes you inhale every day. Dangote's refinery will also be made to a Euro V standard which will minimize some of the health risks.

Obviously, even with this, a project like this would never be allowed in a modern country. But welcome to Nigeria.

50 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Is Lagos A Good Place To Build A Refinery Like Dangote Refinery? by SavageResponse(m): 3:22pm On Mar 21, 2021
Hashabiah:

Oga modern refineries do not flare gas!

16 Likes

Re: Is Lagos A Good Place To Build A Refinery Like Dangote Refinery? by Hashabiah: 3:25pm On Mar 21, 2021
SavageResponse:

Oga modern refineries do not flare gas!
Bros do not display your ignorance abeg. If you do not know about flaring and refinery technology then shut up and read on it.

25 Likes

Re: Is Lagos A Good Place To Build A Refinery Like Dangote Refinery? by SavageResponse(m): 3:49pm On Mar 21, 2021
Hashabiah:
Bros do not display your ignorance abeg. If you do not know about flaring and refinery technology then shut up and read on it.

You are the one who is displaying ignorance here!

Stop mixing up refinery and crude oil production platform(Onshore and offshore)

30 Likes

Re: Is Lagos A Good Place To Build A Refinery Like Dangote Refinery? by Hashabiah: 3:50pm On Mar 21, 2021
[s]
SavageResponse:

You are the one who is displaying ignorance here!

Stop mixing up refinery and crude oil production platform(Onshore and offshore)
[/s] Books do not bite. Just read nigger. You will like it

6 Likes

Re: Is Lagos A Good Place To Build A Refinery Like Dangote Refinery? by ImDStar: 9:37pm On Mar 21, 2021
I'd prefer the neighboring states.
Re: Is Lagos A Good Place To Build A Refinery Like Dangote Refinery? by GodIsBiafran: 9:37pm On Mar 21, 2021
cool
Re: Is Lagos A Good Place To Build A Refinery Like Dangote Refinery? by Movieguru(m): 9:38pm On Mar 21, 2021
Maybe
Re: Is Lagos A Good Place To Build A Refinery Like Dangote Refinery? by omorttee4u(m): 9:38pm On Mar 21, 2021
No perfect site for an industry like refinery....i'm sure there are numerous advantage for dangote to choose that site.

Localization of an industry can't be anew thing for somebody like dangote.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Businesses That Can thrive In Nigeria Despite The Bad Economy / Fatima Dangote And Jamil Abubakar Wedding Dinner In Abuja (Photos) / Customs Plans To Ban Second-Hand Clothes (Okrika)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.