Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,127 members, 7,811,181 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 05:27 AM

I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me (44232 Views)

I Do Not Want To Japa But What Business Can I Start With 4 Million Naira. / I Want To JAPA But I Am Really Confused / My Family Is Discouraging Me From Moving To UK (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by wwwkaycom(m): 8:54pm On Oct 06, 2023
THIS STORY IS ACTUALLY FROM A FRIEND, HE SENT IT TO A WHATSAPP PLATFORM WE BELONG TO. I AM SEEKING ADVISE AND ASSISTANCE FOR HIM HERE PLEASE

My childhood friend is based in Texas, USA. He traveled out 12 years ago. Actually I work with government in Nigeria with a salary of 180k per month. It is becoming increasingly tough to take care of family responsibilities so early this year, I started making moves to relocate to US or Canada.

But the issues surrounding japa are quite enormous so I reached out to my friend to seek his advise, suggestions and possibly financial loan which I will pay back. He gave me some important reasons why I shouldn't migrate. He spoke about my age, no technical skill, finances, leaving known for unknown and difficulties faced by new comers in America. I didn't agree with these reasons even though he sounded genuine. I left him and started making other moves but eventually realized I still needed him.

8 months later, I spoke with him again, he repeated the same reasons why I shouldn't relocate. I am not 50 yet, I know a 56 year old man who relocated to Canada late last year and today his family members have started faring well here in Nigeria. Infact, his son who is presently rounding off his NYSC will be moving by march next year so what is the fuss about my age? I have made up my mind to stop seeking his support and carry my cross myself.

Thank you all.

89 Likes 4 Shares

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by Wujio: 8:58pm On Oct 06, 2023
If your mind is there, then your destiny and blessing is there !

251 Likes 21 Shares

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by Artiiclebeast: 9:00pm On Oct 06, 2023
You are calling a closet enemy a friend?

I pity you, bro.

He gets a hard-on from reading about and knowing that he's doing better than you economically and material-wise and all the respect and worship you've been according to him will become a thing of the past.

Most of them hate competition and always revel in the reality of being the ones at the center of all attention.

Even if you are 50 and able to move to the U.S., get serious, work legitimately for the next 5-7 years, and call it a wrap, you will have successfully settled your downlines and created a wonderful retirement plan for yourself with proper planning.

Move, if you can, and with the right plans and connect.

It is good to skill up, but if you ain't got it, you ain't got it and it isn't the beginning and end of life.

There are a ton of zero-skilled jobs where you can make the equivalent of what you currently earn in a month in Nigeria in just a single day..yeah, you heard me right, in a dayyyyy.

*Edited*

For those quoting me to say what they know nothing about or just getting pissed that I might be encouraging people to come compete with them, I no blame una, it is the usual hoarding of information by Nigerians because they want to be the only ones making it and revered in their locality.

In the U.S., every other nationality are united and supportive of themselves with information and intelligence sharing to prosper together. But Nigerians? Neverrrr. Dem go dey buga dey talk from nose...

Come see Haitians, Moroccans, Kenyans, Hispanics, all having agencies and supporting their people with jobs to survive....

I met a Nigerian grandmother who came here for omugwo. We got talking. Grandma was like, "my pikin, why e be say those our people wey don tey here dey always lie to us" I say "mama, I no know oh".

Mama was like "you no see my new car for outside there, na me dey make $6-7k per month like this depending on how many hours I work. I dey softly dey build apartments for Benin to use for shortlet.."

Kapish

397 Likes 32 Shares

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by Amotolongbo(f): 9:01pm On Oct 06, 2023
It is better you japa with purpose

43 Likes 5 Shares

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by lordm(m): 9:05pm On Oct 06, 2023
Hmm, this country is woke

9 Likes

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by Hezzyluv: 9:05pm On Oct 06, 2023
Think twice

4 Likes

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by Beremx(f): 9:27pm On Oct 06, 2023
That your friend is your worst enemy. You can still travel without him helping you. Get plan B

198 Likes 7 Shares

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by talented321: 9:34pm On Oct 06, 2023
Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by Lungdick: 9:43pm On Oct 06, 2023
You can't just say you want to japa without plans.

legally, the only help your friend can do is write an invitation letter for a visit visa which may still be denied.

OR, he advise you which path you can take legally to immigrate. Since he has seen none, there's no way he can help you.

like you said, you have no skill et cetera et cetera.

your friend is not discouraging you, it was the way you interpreted his advice.

Which route are you taking to migrate??

which skill(s) do you have ??

116 Likes 6 Shares

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by Lungdick: 9:53pm On Oct 06, 2023
Based on my own understanding, the following are the ways you can migrate to the following countries:

USA:

-(illegal). Travel as a visitor and overstay your visa. You can do under the table jobs. Once you are caught, it's deportation and banning straight.
-study route. Maybe masters or PHD. Do you masters there, apply for a post graduate work visa. Pray you see an employer that'll sponsor you this period.
-business visa. You are to invest atleast $800000 minus tax, application fee etc. This will take atleast 18mnths to process.
-marry a US citizen
-if you have a family there, they can file for you
-DV lottery

64 Likes 12 Shares

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by being(m): 9:57pm On Oct 06, 2023
Retire where? In Canada shocked? Back to Nigeria? You are the enemy without realising.. You want a man in his 40s(assumed) to goan start all over again in subzero weather. The man is without I.T, medical, or technical skills or big4 experience.. He would most likely have to do manual work at that age in very cold weather. He wouldn't have so much to save after bills, the culture is going to be shocking to him, he will experience systematic racism.. the only thing he will have better is better health care & more organised system.. but these are not worth the disadvantages!!!!
Artiiclebeast:
You are calling a closet enemy a friend?

I pity you, bro.

He gets a hard-on from reading about and knowing that he's doing better than you economically and material-wise and all the respect and worship you've been according to him will become a thing of the past.

Most of them hate competition and always revel in the reality of being the ones at the center of all attention.

Even if you are 50 and able to move to the U.S., get serious, work legitimately for the next 5-7 years, and call it a wrap, you will have successfully settled your downlines and created a wonderful retirement plan for yourself with proper planning.

Move, if you can, and with the right plans and connect.

It is good to skill up, but if you ain't got it, you ain't got it and it isn't the beginning and end of life.

There are a ton of zero-skilled jobs where you can make the equivalent of what you currently earn in a month in Nigeria in just a single day..yeah, you heard me right, in a dayyyyy.

95 Likes 11 Shares

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by slimjohn2k5: 10:18pm On Oct 06, 2023
I hv a friend in uk that kept telling me it is hard over to there and withing 4 months he invited mum who is still there with him and relocated his sister with her husband n 2 kids last week.

If you Make up ur mind, do it.

173 Likes 13 Shares

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by Westerhoffe(m): 10:22pm On Oct 06, 2023
grin
Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by PinkNature: 10:24pm On Oct 06, 2023
Your friend deserved to be jailed.

34 Likes 5 Shares

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by RightToReject(m): 10:29pm On Oct 06, 2023
Each one's reality differs. So, don't allow all these bumpkins here to cause bad blood between you and your dear friend. He could have spoken and advised you based on his own reality, and even if his present reality changes for good tomorrow, it shouldn't make him a liar and your enemy in general.

Your best bet at this juncture should be to create your own path and encrypt it.

76 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by TheBTCinvestor: 10:50pm On Oct 06, 2023
wwwkaycom:
THIS STORY IS ACTUALLY FROM A FRIEND, HE SENT IT TO A WHATSAPP PLATFORM WE BELONG TO. I AM SEEKING ADVISE AND ASSISTANCE FOR HIM HERE PLEASE

My childhood friend is based in Texas, USA. He traveled out 12 years ago. Actually I work with government in Nigeria with a salary of 180k per month. It is becoming increasingly tough to take care of family responsibilities so early this year, I started making moves to relocate to US or Canada. But the issues surrounding japa are quite enormous so I reached out to my friend to seek his advise, suggestions and possibly financial loan which I will pay back. He gave me some important reasons why I shouldn't migrate. He spoke about my age, no technical skill, finances, leaving known for unknown and difficulties faced by new comers in America. I didn't agree with these reasons even though he sounded genuine. I left him and started making other moves but eventually realized I still needed him. 8 months later, I spoke with him again, he repeated the same reasons why I shouldn't relocate. I am not 50 yet, I know a 56 year old man who relocated to Canada late last year and today his family members have started faring well here in Nigeria. Infact, his son who is presently rounding off his NYSC will be moving by march next year so what is the fuss about my age? I have made up my mind to stop seeking his support and carry my cross myself. Please my people, can you link me with people or organisations that can offer genuine services towards JAPA on this platform or elsewhere?
Thank you all.

Your mind no go touch ground..u go see grin

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by hakeemhakeem(m): 11:19pm On Oct 06, 2023
You should have taken those things your friend complaints that you lack and work on it,so that you can be marketable

51 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by Offpointng: 11:37pm On Oct 06, 2023
Beremx:
That your friend is your worst enemy. You can still travel without him helping you. Get plan B

Worse enemy? How?? what are you japaing for Abroad without having a skill??

Or dem tell you doing menial jobs like cleaner is enough to get you a bed space and cover ur whole monthly bills?? It's irritating how y'all hate to hear the truth. Disgusting lots sad

92 Likes 6 Shares

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by Offpointng: 11:43pm On Oct 06, 2023
being:
Retire where? In Canada shocked? Back to Nigeria? You are the enemy without realising.. You want a man in his 40s(assumed) to goan start all over again in subzero weather. The man is without I.T, medical, or technical skills or big4 experience.. He would most likely have to do manual work at that age in very cold weather. He wouldn't have so much to save after bills, the culture is going to be shocking to him, he will experience systematic racism.. the only thing he will have better is better health care & more organised system.. but these are not worth the disadvantages!!!!

Wish I can like this comment ah hundred times. It's really annoying how these folks hate to hear the truth. Like what are you actually going to do Abroad without a skill? what?? Even the better health care system, he won't enjoy cuz where's the money to enjoy it with a menial job?? he might enjoy the organised system but not fully cuz of racism and he's 8times more likely to be shot dead in that USA than he might in Nigeria.

It's pointless giving OP a go ahead if you don't want to be his assumed enemy

39 Likes 6 Shares

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by Kobojunkie: 11:44pm On Oct 06, 2023
wwwkaycom:
My childhood friend is based in Texas, USA. He traveled out 12 years ago. Actually I work with government in Nigeria with a salary of 180k per month. It is becoming increasingly tough to take care of family responsibilities so early this year, I started making moves to relocate to US or Canada. But the issues surrounding japa are quite enormous so I reached out to my friend to seek his advise, suggestions and possibly financial loan which I will pay back. He gave me some important reasons why I shouldn't migrate. He spoke about my age, no technical skill, finances, leaving known for unknown and difficulties faced by new comers in America. I didn't agree with these reasons even though he sounded genuine. I left him and started making other moves but eventually realized I still needed him. 8 months later, I spoke with him again, he repeated the same reasons why I shouldn't relocate. I am not 50 yet, I know a 56 year old man who relocated to Canada late last year and today his family members have started faring well here in Nigeria. Infact, his son who is presently rounding off his NYSC will be moving by march next year so what is the fuss about my age? I have made up my mind to stop seeking his support and carry my cross myself. Please my people, can you link me with people or organisations that can offer genuine services towards JAPA on this platform or elsewhere? Thank you all.
If your Japanomics is not based on a clear plan and research done by your own person, then your friend is right to discourage you from making an attempt since he is afraid you might feel he is to take you on as a burden if things don't pan out. The entire world is open enough these days that you can pretty much plan out your life and stuff by researching life in whatever place you are headed to from right where you are now. So, I see no reason why you should be asking others whether to make the move or not. undecided

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by Artiiclebeast: 12:12am On Oct 07, 2023
being:

Your ignorance and a refusal to acknowledge same is legendary.

What is IT, Medical, Technical, or the Big 4 skills you are yapping about?

Must everyone be in the above-saturated fields?

Okay, I'll attempt to school you a bit.

In Canada and the U.S., you do not need any utopian skills to get into the caregiving industry. With a good agency, you are sure of very good hours that can fetch you a good 5-6k per month....scratch that.

What is sub-zero weather and what has that got to do with age, building, and tasting what true life and the essence of it truly is?

What benefit is the Nigerian weather that's not sub-zero?

Sustematic racism don suffer for una mouth.

What is not systematic about the Yoruba man calling the Igbo man a sub-human/citizen, the Igbo man calling the Yoruba man a headhunter, and the Hausa in one corner getting demeaned and made a jest of.

Make una dey deceive una sef for there..

159 Likes 17 Shares

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by BigDawsNet: 12:52am On Oct 07, 2023
wwwkaycom:

My childhood friend is based in Texas, USA. He traveled out 12 years ago. Actually I work with government in Nigeria with a salary of 180k per month. It is becoming increasingly tough to take care of family responsibilities so early this year, I started making moves to relocate to US or Canada. But the issues surrounding japa are quite enormous so I reached out to my friend to seek his advise, suggestions and possibly financial loan which I will pay back. He gave me some important reasons why I shouldn't migrate. He spoke about my age, no technical skill, finances, leaving known for unknown and difficulties faced by new comers in America. I didn't agree with these reasons even though he sounded genuine. I left him and started making other moves but eventually realized I still needed him. 8 months later, I spoke with him again, he repeated the same reasons why I shouldn't relocate. I am not 50 yet, I know a 56 year old man who relocated to Canada late last year and today his family members have started faring well here in Nigeria. Infact, his son who is presently rounding off his NYSC will be moving by march next year so what is the fuss about my age? I have made up my mind to stop seeking his support and carry my cross myself. Please my people, can you link me with people or organisations that can offer genuine services towards JAPA on this platform or elsewhere?
Thank you all.

Tell your friend not to listen to anyone... he should make his own research and start the process... tell him if he doesn't have any funds den he needs to relax....

Abroad requires lots of funds...

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by tensazangetsu20(m): 1:34am On Oct 07, 2023
I think there was a thread about someone wanting to migrate at 40 and people commented that they even did it at 50 and they are okay. Probably find the thread and send DMS to those people.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by Tayorshd87: 2:05am On Oct 07, 2023
Don'tind those people saying rubbish and don't condemn your friend as a bad one..

Your friend was actually trying to make u do some research either fact because Nigerians believe when u travel abroad then everything becomes rossy and u can made millions like burnabot and wizkid ..

So in case if it doesn't work out so it won't be as if he didn't tell u before moving because traveling requires a lot of funds and hope ur loan can be up to 10M ...

because go you and ur children u can spend close to 15M plz make more research and make some authenticity if ur friend is actually right or wrong..

Enjoy bro

wwwkaycom:

Thank you all.

4 Likes

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by Nobody: 2:21am On Oct 07, 2023
I will advise you not to Japa now. Not yet. E get Y

Very soon, Canada will be visa on arrival for Nigerians.
I trust Tinubu and our able minister of Interior.

Just wait about 5 more years and you will thank me and your friend later.

17 Likes 5 Shares

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by Hypnotise: 3:00am On Oct 07, 2023
Japa. You can do healthcare and they employ regularly. Naija now na lipsrsealed

5 Likes

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by Kobojunkie: 3:01am On Oct 07, 2023
Skyview01:
I will advise you not to Japa now. Not yet. E get Y. Very soon, Canada will be visa on arrival for Nigerians. I trust Tinubu and our able minister of Interior. Just wait about 5 more years and you will thank me and your friend later.
How? undecided

1 Like

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by davidadenrele: 3:24am On Oct 07, 2023
Hello Sir,

Disclaimer iam not a Traveling Consultant or Agent but a passionate reader on Nairaland if i may advise yo sir, your good friend discouraging you wasn't doing so out of hatred but bitter truth and concerned, if i may guess your age you should be close to your fifties, am in the same age bracket as you, one thing I know is age is not a barrier in US or Canada, except if you have clocked up to 60yrs, at such you are not employable due to health challenges, but if you are close to your 50's or in your 50's you will need to have a skill in high demand in US or Canada, Canada just recently invited 1,000 transport personnel for permanent resident express entry programme
https://www.cicnews.com/2023/09/breaking-canada-holds-first-express-entry-draw-in-over-one-month-0936891.html#gs.6mnig3

What do you do for a living? If you don't have any skills then forget about going abroad you might regret your decision truly but if you have a skill or you are currently in a job, you might need to add more skills to the skills you have just to make sure you have an advantage even if you will need to learn skills about mechanized farming it won't be a bad idea am been honest with you.

If you can do please do don't be afraid to take a step forward life is about taking a risk, but make sure you learn a skill in demand that can give you an edge check out more info on www.cicnews.com all the best.

wwwkaycom:

Thank you all.

8 Likes

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by Karleb(m): 3:36am On Oct 07, 2023
But if you are jobless and wants to marry at 37, your friends and family will agree it's a good thing.

Oga, go now before dollar gets to 2k.

40 Likes 5 Shares

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by id4sho(m): 3:43am On Oct 07, 2023
wwwkaycom:

Thank you all.
possibly financial loan which I will pay back and doesn't want to accommodate him. He should look for finances and enter canada

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by Nobody: 3:58am On Oct 07, 2023
Kobojunkie:
How? undecided

That was a lame attempt at sarcasm. I was reacting to a headline about the interior minister asking for a reciprocal visa on arrival for Nigerians.

7 Likes

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by Kobojunkie: 4:00am On Oct 07, 2023
Skyview01:
■ That was a lame attempt at sarcasm. I was reacting to a headline about the interior minister asking for a reciprocal visa on arrival for Nigerians.
A Nigerian minister asked this of Canada? undecided

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Dangote Truck Kills Couple In Lagos Last Night – PHOTOS / FG Plans 10 New Rail Lines (list Of The Rail Lines) / Officer Returns 600,000 Naira To Accident Victim

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.