Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,076 members, 7,825,398 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 01:17 PM

I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me - Travel (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me (44410 Views)

I Do Not Want To Japa But What Business Can I Start With 4 Million Naira. / I Want To JAPA But I Am Really Confused / My Family Is Discouraging Me From Moving To UK (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by Kevineleven(m): 12:56pm On Oct 10, 2023
Love800:
Hw can dis be possible?
You will find useful tips on YouTube
Start with this :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vD4-hpaRPKc
Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by Love800(m): 3:04pm On Oct 10, 2023
Pls wat do mean by under the table jobs?
Papilagreen:
Let me add small thing based on my own experience and knowledge as person living here in America.

First your friend might be very very correct just FYI.

see I will not advice anybody not to come to America. But... if you coming here to hustle if u from 40 and below then try ur luck even 49 is too much 35 because to settle here go take u 5 to 6 years if things goes ur way.

If you above 40 then na holidays and vacation or business trips I go advice u to come do for America. I won't even advice anybody to buy properties here if you finally start making some changes to save for future investments.

America no easy as u dey see am most of all if u are a married man with wife and kids back home my advice is just forget it.

Before u go settle down e no easy see to get ur residency self no be beans u go fight for am like say na ur life.
If u think say under table jobs go help you na sorry for u. It will help for only paying your feeding and accomodations u no go fit save pim because na peanuts dem go dey pay u.

I no sy make my guy no try but make him consider him age and health factor first because this America dem dey sick anyhow u no get insurance na die for u.
America sweet only when u come in ur early 20s ND 30s u go fit plan ur self if not e no easy at all like u dey see am. Una go dey see the money na so the money go dey go.
See it takes two members of a household i.e father and mother to be working before you fit dey save small change for ur bank if not na lie because things are cost way cost now due to inflation watin I dey buy $10 around 2021, present today it cost about $22 which is twice the amount and it goes for everything u want to buy in America.

My final judgement is this. If the man is above 40 and he will put himself in debt to relocate to America i.e, borrow from friend family or bank or even sell property then it's not worth it because that man no go get peace all the days him go work work work and nothing much to show for it just my 2 cents.
Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by Papilagreen: 11:10pm On Oct 10, 2023
Love800:
Pls wat do mean by under the table jobs?

Undertable jobs simply means you working without the proper authorization therefore, working in very low establishments under the redar i.e working without SSN, work permit and paying tax which could lead to serious consequences if caught by the authorities.

It has lots of disadvantages and it pays way below minimum wage. I.e peanuts, half the required hourly pay.

There are many types of undertable jobs but it works at its own discretion.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by Love800(m): 5:31am On Oct 11, 2023
Tank u so much
Papilagreen:

Undertable jobs simply means you working without the proper authorization therefore, working in very low establishments under the redar i.e working without SSN, work permit and paying tax which could lead to serious consequences if caught by the authorities.

It has lots of disadvantages and it pays way below minimum wage. I.e peanuts, half the required hourly pay.

There are many types of undertable jobs but it works at its own discretion.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by Deprofessional(m): 1:42pm On Oct 14, 2023
Papilagreen:
Let me add small thing based on my own experience and knowledge as person living here in America.

First your friend might be very very correct just FYI.

see I will not advice anybody not to come to America. But... if you coming here to hustle if u from 40 and below then try ur luck even 49 is too much 35 because to settle here go take u 5 to 6 years if things goes ur way.

If you above 40 then na holidays and vacation or business trips I go advice u to come do for America. I won't even advice anybody to buy properties here if you finally start making some changes to save for future investments.

America no easy as u dey see am most of all if u are a married man with wife and kids back home my advice is just forget it.

Before u go settle down e no easy see to get ur residency self no be beans u go fight for am like say na ur life.
If u think say under table jobs go help you na sorry for u. It will help for only paying your feeding and accomodations u no go fit save pim because na peanuts dem go dey pay u.

I no sy make my guy no try but make him consider him age and health factor first because this America dem dey sick anyhow u no get insurance na die for u.
America sweet only when u come in ur early 20s ND 30s u go fit plan ur self if not e no easy at all like u dey see am. Una go dey see the money na so the money go dey go.
See it takes two members of a household i.e father and mother to be working before you fit dey save small change for ur bank if not na lie because things are cost way cost now due to inflation watin I dey buy $10 around 2021, present today it cost about $22 which is twice the amount and it goes for everything u want to buy in America.

My final judgement is this. If the man is above 40 and he will put himself in debt to relocate to America i.e, borrow from friend family or bank or even sell property then it's not worth it because that man no go get peace all the days him go work work work and nothing much to show for it just my 2 cents.

Would your final judgement be different if the man is 50, and his wife whom he sent to US has stabilized and has invited him and the children to come over?
Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by Papilagreen: 1:45am On Oct 15, 2023
Deprofessional:

Would your final judgement be different if the man is 50, and his wife whom he sent to US has stabilized and has invited him and the children to come over?

Well I would say it depends on the both parties and their agreement. But if the man in question is above 50 it's still difficult in some aspects.

I.e work, health, etc but if you want me to break down more I can.
But it is still going to be difficult regardless if the man in question have to work.
Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by Deprofessional(m): 8:20pm On Oct 15, 2023
Papilagreen:

Well I would say it depends on the both parties and their agreement. But if the man in question is above 50 it's still difficult in some aspects.

I.e work, health, etc but if you want me to break down more I can.
But it is still going to be difficult regardless if the man in question have to work.

Please break it down. Are you saying men in their 50s don't work in US?

This man is not coming to hustle for papers. He already had one through his wife.

The family wants to be united once again.

Please break it down.
Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by Papilagreen: 11:25pm On Oct 15, 2023
Deprofessional:

Please break it down. Are you saying men in their 50s don't work in US?

This man is not coming to hustle for papers. He already had one through his wife.

The family wants to be united once again.

Please break it down.

Okay I will try my best to explain to you from my own experience and what I have seen from multiple people not just Nigerians but with other African countries as well i.e Ghana, Kenya serialone etc.

So it's like this firstly if he has crossed the hurdles of getting his greencard which also comes with a work authorization he is entitled to work and pay taxes legally in America.

Now here are the factors to consider.

1 age wise which relates to job. Now unless they reside in a big city where he will be able to get a job immediately he comes into the country firstly they will be plenty discrimination just with the name first so first I will advice he picks one English name now before he relocates and tag it to his name change it will help for him to get a job.
And with the age, they will choose someone in their early 30s before they choose him. But if he lives in a big town then that shouldn't be a problem.
But I will give him one great idea that will help him alot at the end of this my short epistle that will help him with finance heck this hustle saved my life men.... Lol...

2. America u no dey sit-down for one place u are always on the move 24/7 hustle because bills no dey wait for u.
U see that light internet nextfilx Hulu Amazon prime TV apple tv etc it is very entertaining and u must get am like it or not. Insurance etc with bill as month end u must pay if not dem cut u off automatically e no be like 9ja. So u just have to be working to keep up bills so u no go too get time u go dey work see the money u no go too get time for urself.

Also as kids con involve na the culture whole new culture e go take dey years to adapt to am and the food e go affect ur health plenty junk food dey u go dey eat am dey sweet u but na for the future u go pay health wise so make Google be ur best friend when u firat enter this country.
Depending the state u dey go the Cold e bad...
First timer it's the worst experience u will ever get no matter the cold gears u have on. And it took me a long time to get used to the cold and at that age 50 I swear e no go easy.
I did more research on this and the older you get i.e 45 upward if u dey use to warmer climate and you relocate to colder region, the health dey go down a lot but it's only common with west African men migrating to colder region. But I pray its not the portion of this person because I no lie u when u don dey settle which will take u like 5 to 6 years to start settling only then will you start enjoying America.
Also new type of sickness your body never dey used to before. For example, we no get malaria here the mosquitoes here no dey give malaria typhoid etc. We get much type bad types here mostly flu related and food poisoning related. So u go need buckle up when u start transitioning from African to Western food.

Finally I no go advice you because in the next of relocating to America, you go sell all your properties carry the money come here believe me it's of no use because the currency rate when u start buying things here go shock u.. lol ur kidney go cut run leave u when u spend 100$ for just 5 clothes u go buy for 5000 naira for Nigeria.
$1000 na 1 million plus for there abi. U go fear how u go spend $5000 in one day for just one silly thing wain no make sense when u come here
So my advice just carry small u can leave the rest eg lands but u see cars etc sell them but leave ur land just get get ur C of O u good to go cause I learned the hard way.

If I go advice u something if u get like $5000 to $8000 ur own side money they carry am follow body I no go advice u to depend on ur wife when u land here cause believe me the load go heavy. No go use that ideology say I sponsor her aboard now she works. Yes it's okay but try reduce the load for her with this idea I wan give u so.

So here is the idea. If u fit get like minimum $5000 to $9000 us own u carry come here do this so you can be self employed it will help you and your wife and kids. But see no pressure her u find the money when u come here go to a dealership in your town after you don get ur SSN and work authorization use that money go car dealership pick out a new car 2018 to 2023 model any of the above because it comes with warranty get a new car around the range of 25 to 30 thousand dollars car, out that money as down payment register for Uber and door dash and Uber eat as soon as u get approved use that card for ur delivery when I was doing this, I work like 8 hrs daily on a good day I make $150 to $200 on a bad day $80 to $100. Now you can choose what time you want to work and your schedule.
It has many benefits because u get to know the terrain and also from there you start seeing good job vacancies and get a better job that pays much better
So u see with that u will be able to pay monthly the rest of the car payment help with household bills to help your wife and kids. And also foot your own bills too.
And don't go get used cars ooo even if fairly used. I have very good reason for this. So ur car has warranty. Incase u wan change parts, for the next 10 years after purchase you still have warranty for parts full coverage so you drive ur hustle u no go fear say u go service car pay out of pocket B4 2 to 3 years u don pay off the car twice if u like to drive 2 years too much self if u still get hustling spirit but na how u plot ur map matters. Also one quick tip Incase u buy new car no let them cheat u with warranty del dem sabi use style sell u premium u don't need premium. It's same thing they just want to take extra from u so no fall.

So my guy I don too type hand don dey pain me but if u get extra question shoot I dey with u.

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by Deprofessional(m): 9:05am On Oct 16, 2023
Papilagreen:

Okay I will try my best to explain to you from my own experience and what I have seen from multiple people not just Nigerians but with other African countries as well i.e Ghana, Kenya serialone etc.

So it's like this firstly if he has crossed the hurdles of getting his greencard which also comes with a work authorization he is entitled to work and pay taxes legally in America.

Now here are the factors to consider.

1 age wise which relates to job. Now unless they reside in a big city where he will be able to get a job immediately he comes into the country firstly they will be plenty discrimination just with the name first so first I will advice he picks one English name now before he relocates and tag it to his name change it will help for him to get a job.
And with the age, they will choose someone in their early 30s before they choose him. But if he lives in a big town then that shouldn't be a problem.
But I will give him one great idea that will help him alot at the end of this my short epistle that will help him with finance heck this hustle saved my life men.... Lol...

2. America u no dey sit-down for one place u are always on the move 24/7 hustle because bills no dey wait for u.
U see that light internet nextfilx Hulu Amazon prime TV apple tv etc it is very entertaining and u must get am like it or not. Insurance etc with bill as month end u must pay if not dem cut u off automatically e no be like 9ja. So u just have to be working to keep up bills so u no go too get time u go dey work see the money u no go too get time for urself.

Also as kids con involve na the culture whole new culture e go take dey years to adapt to am and the food e go affect ur health plenty junk food dey u go dey eat am dey sweet u but na for the future u go pay health wise so make Google be ur best friend when u firat enter this country.
Depending the state u dey go the Cold e bad...
First timer it's the worst experience u will ever get no matter the cold gears u have on. And it took me a long time to get used to the cold and at that age 50 I swear e no go easy.
I did more research on this and the older you get i.e 45 upward if u dey use to warmer climate and you relocate to colder region, the health dey go down a lot but it's only common with west African men migrating to colder region. But I pray its not the portion of this person because I no lie u when u don dey settle which will take u like 5 to 6 years to start settling only then will you start enjoying America.
Also new type of sickness your body never dey used to before. For example, we no get malaria here the mosquitoes here no dey give malaria typhoid etc. We get much type bad types here mostly flu related and food poisoning related. So u go need buckle up when u start transitioning from African to Western food.

Finally I no go advice you because in the next of relocating to America, you go sell all your properties carry the money come here believe me it's of no use because the currency rate when u start buying things here go shock u.. lol ur kidney go cut run leave u when u spend 100$ for just 5 clothes u go buy for 5000 naira for Nigeria.
$1000 na 1 million plus for there abi. U go fear how u go spend $5000 in one day for just one silly thing wain no make sense when u come here
So my advice just carry small u can leave the rest eg lands but u see cars etc sell them but leave ur land just get get ur C of O u good to go cause I learned the hard way.

If I go advice u something if u get like $5000 to $8000 ur own side money they carry am follow body I no go advice u to depend on ur wife when u land here cause believe me the load go heavy. No go use that ideology say I sponsor her aboard now she works. Yes it's okay but try reduce the load for her with this idea I wan give u so.

So here is the idea. If u fit get like minimum $5000 to $9000 us own u carry come here do this so you can be self employed it will help you and your wife and kids. But see no pressure her u find the money when u come here go to a dealership in your town after you don get ur SSN and work authorization use that money go car dealership pick out a new car 2018 to 2023 model any of the above because it comes with warranty get a new car around the range of 25 to 30 thousand dollars car, out that money as down payment register for Uber and door dash and Uber eat as soon as u get approved use that card for ur delivery when I was doing this, I work like 8 hrs daily on a good day I make $150 to $200 on a bad day $80 to $100. Now you can choose what time you want to work and your schedule.
It has many benefits because u get to know the terrain and also from there you start seeing good job vacancies and get a better job that pays much better
So u see with that u will be able to pay monthly the rest of the car payment help with household bills to help your wife and kids. And also foot your own bills too.
And don't go get used cars ooo even if fairly used. I have very good reason for this. So ur car has warranty. Incase u wan change parts, for the next 10 years after purchase you still have warranty for parts full coverage so you drive ur hustle u no go fear say u go service car pay out of pocket B4 2 to 3 years u don pay off the car twice if u like to drive 2 years too much self if u still get hustling spirit but na how u plot ur map matters. Also one quick tip Incase u buy new car no let them cheat u with warranty del dem sabi use style sell u premium u don't need premium. It's same thing they just want to take extra from u so no fall.

So my guy I don too type hand don dey pain me but if u get extra question shoot I dey with u.

Thank you for the quick response.

To be honest, I struggled to understand what you wrote up there.

Of course, migrating at old age of 45 and above isn't good but I don't personally like families being apart.

When people say abroad isn't easy, it appear these people mean that Nigeria is easy.

Let me tell you a story.

I have a friend who worked for many years in UBA. He lost his job about 3 years ago. To be honest with you, he has not gotten any other thing doing.

He told me that feeding is a big problem for his family and there is no near solution.

Nigeria is more difficult than abroad. The only difference is that people can come to your aid in Nigeria than abroad.

If you don't have a personal business in Nigeria and you have the means to japa even at age 50, please do.

This country is heading to point of no return.

3 Likes

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by alphabbey1(m): 10:38am On Oct 16, 2023
Offpointng:

Worse enemy? How?? what are you japaing for Abroad without having a skill??

Or dem tell you doing menial jobs like cleaner is enough to get you a bed space and cover ur whole monthly bills?? It's irritating how y'all hate to hear the truth. Disgusting lots sad
Menial Jobs cannot cover monthly bills ? Why are you guys lying na. Haba!...

Do you need skill to get health care Job ?

1 Like

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by Offpointng: 9:55pm On Oct 19, 2023
alphabbey1:

Menial Jobs cannot cover monthly bills ? Why are you guys lying na. Haba!...

Do you need skill to get health care Job ?

Dont text outta sheer ignorance. How much is a menial job pay? and how much do an average house rent cost monthly in the Suburbs of Manhattan?? coupled with some other Bills you know. What single menial job will cover em??

1 Like

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by alphabbey1(m): 6:20pm On Oct 20, 2023
Offpointng:

Dont text outta sheer ignorance. How much is a menial job pay? and how much do an average house rent cost monthly in the Suburbs of Manhattan?? coupled with some other Bills you know. What single menial job will cover em??
Trying to twist the words to defend your previous erroneous statement... A bus conductor cannot live in Lekki, but can live in Lagos. So what's the issue or no unskilled workers in New York City !!!?

1 Like

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by standfit007: 12:51pm On Mar 23
Haba baba! Not flimsy wood abeg. There are some high standards that you easily count misalignment and of course a charge against such a person for doing substandard. Woods as choice for building some houses is in the best case possible for the context. No one wakes up and just do things without considering repercussions compared to us over here. And we have many good heart and human centered culture where man consider their impact in the now and future about an act. So people are highly educated about choices and there are consequences too(this is the beautiful part for me….if you do nonsense and you are caught, you will pay for it and deterrence is held up)

planetx:
Houses in Nigeria are actually better built than the one's in the US, that are just basically flimsy wood.
Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by 79733139(m): 1:18pm On Mar 23
Even your friends in Nigeria secretly don't want you to japa.... it's normal. Nigerians abroad would say all sorts of things to convince you to stay back... it's normal.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

Mention The Funniest Bus-stops You've Ever Heard / Cows Storm Abuja International Airport, Cause Traffic / 20 Most Ridiculous Overloaded Vehicles Spotted On The Road

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.