Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,672 members, 7,820,357 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:32 PM

Should I Stay and Complete My PhD Or Accept a 30 NZD Per Hour Job In New Zealand - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Should I Stay and Complete My PhD Or Accept a 30 NZD Per Hour Job In New Zealand (23780 Views)

Applying for Phd or a Master's Degree In US, which way is best? / Air Peace 14-Hour Flight To China, Breaks Nigerian Aviation's Record / New Zealand Adds Prostitution To List Of Employment Skills For Immigrants (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Stay and Complete My PhD Or Accept a 30 NZD Per Hour Job In New Zealand by grandstar(m): 4:45pm On Oct 17, 2023
Middleborn:
I just got a job offer in New Zealand, I am to earn 30 New Zealand dollars per hour.

I have been pursuing a career in academics and I currently run a PhD program in a federal University. I am currently in the field gathering my data.

Should i move to New Zealand or should I turn down the job to complete my PhD? Or is there a way to continue and finish my PhD program via video conferencing since I just have to present my research work.
Please help me. Tell me what may work in this situation.

Learn all you can about New Zealand. Go to Quora and ask very insightful questions. Also read up answers to previous questions regarding the country.

Follow New -Zealand vlogggers on YouTube.

New Zealand is an expensive place. Crime is very low though you have problems with gangs.

I feel you should go. It will take you a few years to adjust. At the very least, you're going legally.

1 Like

Re: Should I Stay and Complete My PhD Or Accept a 30 NZD Per Hour Job In New Zealand by rapheal5(m): 4:46pm On Oct 17, 2023
Middleborn:
I just got a job offer in New Zealand, I am to earn 30 New Zealand dollars per hour.

I have been pursuing a career in academics and I currently run a PhD program in a federal University. I am currently in the field gathering my data.

Should i move to New Zealand or should I turn down the job to complete my PhD? Or is there a way to continue and finish my PhD program via video conferencing since I just have to present my research work.
Just chill a lil, a secondary student is on the way to advise u..
Re: Should I Stay and Complete My PhD Or Accept a 30 NZD Per Hour Job In New Zealand by Father4all: 4:50pm On Oct 17, 2023
You will be surprised that ten years after completing your Poly education, you will still be unemployed. Oga run now that you still can
Re: Should I Stay and Complete My PhD Or Accept a 30 NZD Per Hour Job In New Zealand by omolola12345(m): 4:56pm On Oct 17, 2023
Discuss with your supervisor first but If I were in your shoes if I did not get positive feedback from my supervisor I will pack my load and leave for Netherland. You know what happening in this country presently.
Re: Should I Stay and Complete My PhD Or Accept a 30 NZD Per Hour Job In New Zealand by IbeOkehie: 5:11pm On Oct 17, 2023
Ask the Anti-Jakpa Crew, they will show you how to work remotely and earn $20K per month right there in Nigeria. cheesy

Re: Should I Stay and Complete My PhD Or Accept a 30 NZD Per Hour Job In New Zealand by IbeOkehie: 5:12pm On Oct 17, 2023
Deleted
Re: Should I Stay and Complete My PhD Or Accept a 30 NZD Per Hour Job In New Zealand by olayinka63: 5:19pm On Oct 17, 2023
madampresident:
A Nigerian phD is almost weightless in the global world anyway. If you can't find a way to finish it from overseas, ditch it completely. You are better off with an overseas phD.

Also, NZD and Australia who are neighbors often offer full tuition scholarship for phD.

This is how ignorant like you will keep on giving nonsense information. Who told you Nigeria PhD is weightless outside? This how you people castigated every facet of education in Nigeria and yet developed country are coming for Nigerian trained professionals which has led to japa syndrome. Infiiriority complex is worrying you.
We have a lot of Nigerian PhD older lecturing outside and working on different research. They were also getting steady research grant. Well, I understand that you don't value what you have.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should I Stay and Complete My PhD Or Accept a 30 NZD Per Hour Job In New Zealand by grandstar(m): 5:21pm On Oct 17, 2023
spiSeyi:
Foolish question but something is telling me this OP story is not real, it's just an imagination grin because no sane Nigerian will leave a 30 NZD/hour job for a useless PHD. Even prof nor collect 30 NZD/hr in Nigeria undecided

Many who have japa without asking questions have suffered. Many ended up sleeping on the street.

Even those asked the hard questions faced difficulties.

Abroad isn't as simple as you think, especially s,place like New Zealand. Loneliness alone fit finish person
Re: Should I Stay and Complete My PhD Or Accept a 30 NZD Per Hour Job In New Zealand by olamilarks(m): 5:35pm On Oct 17, 2023
Middleborn:

One thing to note, NZ is expensive to live in and NZlanders take advantage of the agreement with Aussie to work and live in Australia. NZ is like the last land before Antarctica LOL, so you can't vex and hop on a plane to Nigeria if things are not like you envisioned.
Re: Should I Stay and Complete My PhD Or Accept a 30 NZD Per Hour Job In New Zealand by MatrixCircle: 5:38pm On Oct 17, 2023
What's the future of the Ph.D. you are pursuing in Nigeria
Think of the benefits your children will have when you relocate to NZD can't be compared to the Ph.D.

Some PhD earned from Nigeria if it's not related to Medicine, IT or Engineering, if you bring them here in UK from Nigeria hmmm you may end up working in factories or care homes in the UK with such Ph.D. from Nigeria.
Some are already working in factories here in UK with Ph.D from Nigeria.

I met one that was a lecturer in Nigeria he earns £1400 per month as factory worker but was earning N250k as lecturer in Nigeria while the wife is also a care worker here earning about £1700 per month. He said it's better for him atleast thier 3 children are here in the UK so they will one day find a better job since they only came in UK in month of April.

The decision is yours.
Re: Should I Stay and Complete My PhD Or Accept a 30 NZD Per Hour Job In New Zealand by MasterTeeUSA: 5:38pm On Oct 17, 2023
Move to New Zealand and complete your PhD online...there are no job guarantees after your PhD...hold on to your job...we study more to earn more...and if we can find jobs to start earning, it would be foolish to turn it down. Yoruba song said...if one is looking for money and meet praise, one should return home...because we plan to use money to buy praise anyways. Job experiences will also help you when you finally get your PhD...JOB first.

Middleborn:

Re: Should I Stay and Complete My PhD Or Accept a 30 NZD Per Hour Job In New Zealand by Mrnakeina(m): 5:49pm On Oct 17, 2023
Share the job site, role description and company name. That's the only way I can advise you well.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should I Stay and Complete My PhD Or Accept a 30 NZD Per Hour Job In New Zealand by Ifeanyibombo: 6:18pm On Oct 17, 2023
1 new Zealand dollar is equivalent to ₦450.30 NZD hourly is about ₦13K. 8-10 hours shift daily gives you approx ₦130k daily,which is de salary of most lecturers in zoo, even after their PhD program.Use ur tongue and count ur teeth.
Re: Should I Stay and Complete My PhD Or Accept a 30 NZD Per Hour Job In New Zealand by kclub83(m): 6:19pm On Oct 17, 2023
I go send witches and wizard to you to flog you mercilessly if u don't accept the new Zealand offer. Stay there they ask mumu question.
Re: Should I Stay and Complete My PhD Or Accept a 30 NZD Per Hour Job In New Zealand by spiSeyi: 6:22pm On Oct 17, 2023
grandstar:

Many who have japa without asking questions have suffered. Many ended up sleeping on the street.

Even those asked the hard questions faced difficulties.

Abroad isn't as simple as you think, especially s,place like New Zealand. Loneliness alone fit finish person
New Zealand is a nice place to be and it's mostly underrated NZ is better than Canada cool
Re: Should I Stay and Complete My PhD Or Accept a 30 NZD Per Hour Job In New Zealand by badonkadonk: 6:32pm On Oct 17, 2023
Middleborn:

Stay and finish, then move.
Re: Should I Stay and Complete My PhD Or Accept a 30 NZD Per Hour Job In New Zealand by grandstar(m): 6:34pm On Oct 17, 2023
spiSeyi:

New Zealand is a nice place to be and it's mostly underrated NZ is better than Canada cool

I am sure the climate is much better. The real minus is the distance.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Stay and Complete My PhD Or Accept a 30 NZD Per Hour Job In New Zealand by NaBanga: 6:49pm On Oct 17, 2023
What exactly will you be doing in New Zealand?
Re: Should I Stay and Complete My PhD Or Accept a 30 NZD Per Hour Job In New Zealand by IzRayl: 6:58pm On Oct 17, 2023
1 new Zealand dollar to naira is 450 naira
30 nzd per hour X 1 hour=13,500 naira
30 nzd 8 hours average per day =108,000 naira
30 nzd X 30 days =108,000 X 30 =3,200,000 naira or 7200 NZD per month.......................oga enter the next available flight if you know,you are not making that much per month in Nigeria and besides you fit still run your PhD for new Zealand and e get levels pass naija PhD
Re: Should I Stay and Complete My PhD Or Accept a 30 NZD Per Hour Job In New Zealand by iceberg54: 7:04pm On Oct 17, 2023
Middleborn:

Do you currently have a job in Nigeria?

Firstly, make sure the job offer in NZ is valid. There are lots of scams out there.

What type of visa are you going to NZ with? Does it provide a pathway to permanent residency? Ask your potential employer that question or do your research.

You can always continue your PhD in NZ later if that's what you really want. Many universities allow transfer of credits from prior studies if it's in the same field.

There are opportunities for PhD scholarships in NZ and neighbouring Australia.

All the best.
Re: Should I Stay and Complete My PhD Or Accept a 30 NZD Per Hour Job In New Zealand by komols856: 7:20pm On Oct 17, 2023
Middleborn:

Please go and take the job at New Zealand. You can always complete your PhD program later. The money you make in New Zealand can empower you to buy and invest in different strategic rewarding location in Lagos Nigeria. And l can always also guide on the best place to invest on properties. My official Whatsapp is +2348030897019....Mr. Fabian.

I am also doing my PhD program but if I get that opportunity to earn in hour, I will leave the program
Re: Should I Stay and Complete My PhD Or Accept a 30 NZD Per Hour Job In New Zealand by Tbasicme: 7:22pm On Oct 17, 2023
Middleborn:

First you need to consider the cost of accomodation in New Zealand. Averagely it's about 400 NZ dollar per week

If you work 30 nz dollar per hour and you work 6hrs per day thats about 180 NZ dollar per day. And 1260 per week Minus 400 you have 860 nz dollars. It's a good deal

Meanwhile, NZ dollar is 451. Therefor your 860 x 451 = 387,860 naira per week
Re: Should I Stay and Complete My PhD Or Accept a 30 NZD Per Hour Job In New Zealand by Mayflowa(m): 7:48pm On Oct 17, 2023
Think9ja:
Some people go just decide on a very good day to come nairaland come choke us with their achievements in the name of seeking advice.

If no be 1M job for naija, E go be visa or scholarship to Moon. E go come make you begin think like say na look you come this world come look.

E go better

God no go shame us

My advice is to join the Nigeria Army and work your posting to Sambisa.

Which one do you prefer to hear here? Goodnews or Bad news? There are lots of people crying for help everyday here. I guess you never look their way or border to read their stories. So let the good news roll
Re: Should I Stay and Complete My PhD Or Accept a 30 NZD Per Hour Job In New Zealand by Dzeems01: 8:23pm On Oct 17, 2023
My brother ..move to new Zealand ..NZD to NAIRA IS 421.50.u can get a fully sponsored PHD over there and with ur wealth of k knowledge..u Stand a better chance..cos with ur PhD here in Nigeria u fit still dey find work oo
Re: Should I Stay and Complete My PhD Or Accept a 30 NZD Per Hour Job In New Zealand by alleygra(f): 8:30pm On Oct 17, 2023
madampresident:
A Nigerian phD is almost weightless in the global world anyway. If you can't find a way to finish it from overseas, ditch it completely. You are better off with an overseas phD.

Also, NZD and Australia who are neighbors often offer full tuition scholarship for phD.

PhD is PhD. There is nothing like Nigerian PhD. I will advise d poster to finish his PhD and then migrate
Re: Should I Stay and Complete My PhD Or Accept a 30 NZD Per Hour Job In New Zealand by Mypeople2(m): 8:44pm On Oct 17, 2023
Middleborn:

1Nzd is equal to 59 cents.
That is 30 Nzd =1770 US cents . Since 1 dollar 1000 naira, that means 1cent = 10 naira.So, 1770 US cents = N17,700 per hour, for 10 working hours a day , it will be 17700×10 =N177000
Re: Should I Stay and Complete My PhD Or Accept a 30 NZD Per Hour Job In New Zealand by peculiar2233: 9:21pm On Oct 17, 2023
sageb:

Move to New Zealand now, later you can get a fully funded PhD scholarship abroad.
Leave Agbado kingdom before it gets worse 😂
Take this advice and thank us later.
Best of luck in your future endeavors

1 Like

Re: Should I Stay and Complete My PhD Or Accept a 30 NZD Per Hour Job In New Zealand by Dikastan: 9:22pm On Oct 17, 2023
Middleborn:

Part of the reason for asking is that I don't know this country that much other than it is really down the earth. I've dug up details about it. But is it a nice place to live in? I would appreciate real experiences from Nairalanders.
How should one budget bro,to do visa to work in that country?
Re: Should I Stay and Complete My PhD Or Accept a 30 NZD Per Hour Job In New Zealand by Memyselfu2009(m): 9:32pm On Oct 17, 2023
YOU CAN COMPLETE YOUR PHD LATER NO LOSS THIS JOB OH

Middleborn:

Re: Should I Stay and Complete My PhD Or Accept a 30 NZD Per Hour Job In New Zealand by Mcslize: 9:44pm On Oct 17, 2023
Middleborn:

Part of the reason for asking is that I don't know this country that much other than it is really down the earth. I've dug up details about it. But is it a nice place to live in? I would appreciate real experiences from Nairalanders.

New Zealand of all places? New Zealand is a very good and beautiful first world country with good standard of living. It is a neighbor to Australia. Some Zealanders do even go to Australia to work cuz they are very close and are like neighbors. Move asap.

You can do your PhD with a funded scholarship later on when you get there, probably 3 years later.

Moving will not only give you international exposure but also good living condition. PhD doesn't run away from one. You can do it any time. The fact that you already got a job, is a no brainer.

If I were you, I won't think twice. I will grab the offer without thinking twice. Do know that you ain't going there to stay idle. You're going there to work and this said work, you've already gotten it.

Don't miss this opportunity brother.
Re: Should I Stay and Complete My PhD Or Accept a 30 NZD Per Hour Job In New Zealand by Laple0541(m): 9:47pm On Oct 17, 2023
I doubt if you are doing any PhD, cos I can’t imagine a student of that calibre seeking advice like that from a social platform like nairaland. Do your research about the country, weigh your options then decide.
Re: Should I Stay and Complete My PhD Or Accept a 30 NZD Per Hour Job In New Zealand by Mcslize: 9:49pm On Oct 17, 2023
pyyxxaro:
Pls don’t go , I heard Hamas members are relocating there

Yeye! No be only Hamas na Hamarama.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

George Kourounis: Escapades Of Wild Weather Adventurer & Guiness World Record / Epic Throwback Of Marina Lagos In The 1960s / Renovated VIP Lounge At Kaduna Airport (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.