Stats: 3,152,182 members, 7,815,138 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:04 AM

Why Do You Go To Church? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do You Go To Church? (5838 Views)

Bishop Mar Mari Emmanuel Returns To Church With Eye Patch After Knife Attack / Apostle Johnson Suleman Dressed As A Policeman To Church (Photos) / EFCC Returning N11.9M Stolen By RCCG Deacon To Church (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

Why Do You Go To Church? by Myer(m): 6:05pm On Oct 21, 2023
On the previous thread we considered why so many have stopped going to church and thanks for the contributions.

For those who shared their experiences and also to those who encouraged them in love and good counsel, you're blessed in Jesus name.

As recommended on the thread, for those who are still going to church, kindly share your experience;

-Why ryou still go to church despite life's challenges?
-For those who stopped for some time, why did you return to church?;

Re: Why Do You Go To Church? by ayterajah(m): 6:09pm On Oct 21, 2023
We are created to serve God ....

Re: Why Do You Go To Church? by God1000(m): 6:10pm On Oct 21, 2023
Well, I hardly go to church these days, though I'm a good person to the core, I also obey God's commandments

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do You Go To Church? by Myer(m): 6:16pm On Oct 21, 2023
God1000:
Well, I hardly go to church these days, though I'm a good person to the core, I also obey God's commandments

Interesting. Why did you stop going?
Re: Why Do You Go To Church? by God1000(m): 6:18pm On Oct 21, 2023
Myer:

Interesting. Why did you stop going?

over-commercialization of our churches and the teachings of prosperity.

28 Likes

Re: Why Do You Go To Church? by Myer(m): 6:27pm On Oct 21, 2023
God1000:
over-commercialization of our churches and the teachings of prosperity.

My thoughts exactly.
The prosperity/money gospel has actually chased so many believers from the church.
But don't you think it's better to find the church that preaches the true gospel rather than stop going to church altogether?

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do You Go To Church? by God1000(m): 6:45pm On Oct 21, 2023
Myer:

My thoughts exactly.
The prosperity/money gospel has actually chased so many believers from the church.
But don't you think it's better to find the church that preaches the true gospel rather than stop going to church altogether?
I will do that soon

Re: Why Do You Go To Church? by Onyiiobi7735(m): 6:54pm On Oct 21, 2023
God1000:
You are absolutely correct.Going to church doesn't necessarily make one a candidate for Heaven.
Many times the most wicked and despicable humans go to church regularly.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do You Go To Church? by Onyiiobi7735(m): 7:21pm On Oct 21, 2023
I don't believe in going to church to make Heaven. What matters most is your personal relationship with your Maker and obeying His Commandments. If you must go,be discerning and watchful, because these days are perilous and false prophets and teachers outnumber the genuine ones at a ratio of 90% against 10%.
I go to church to hear the Word and compare the sermon of the pastor with the Bible,to see if they match.
Many so called men of God are adding to the Bible, removing from it, and manufacturing their own doctrines, misinterpreting the Scriptures.
That's why the Judgement of God must begin from the Church.
Moreover going to church doesn't necessarily make one a candidate for Heaven. Oftentimes the human incarnations of demons are seen regularly in churches. Walking embodiment of sexual immorality are found plentiful inside the church in various departments.

Re: Why Do You Go To Church? by Myer(m): 7:50pm On Oct 21, 2023
Onyiiobi7735:
I don't believe in going to church to make Heaven. What matters most is your personal relationship with your Maker and obeying His Commandments. If you must go,be discerning and watchful, because these days are perilous and false prophets and teachers outnumber the genuine ones at a ratio of 90% against 10%.
I go to church to hear the Word and compare the sermon of the pastor with the Bible,to see if they match.
Many so called men of God are adding to the Bible, removing from it, and manufacturing their own doctrines, misinterpreting the Scriptures.
That's why the Judgement of God must begin from the Church.
Moreover going to church doesn't necessarily make one a candidate for Heaven. Oftentimes the human incarnations of demons are seen regularly in churches. Walking embodiment of sexual immorality are found plentiful inside the church in various departments.

You've spoken well and thanks for sharing.

1 Tim 6:3-6
3 If anyone teaches otherwise and does not consent to wholesome words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the [a]doctrine which accords with godliness, 4 he is proud, knowing nothing, but is obsessed with disputes and arguments over words, from which come envy, strife, reviling, evil suspicions, 5 useless wranglings of men of corrupt minds and destitute of the truth, who suppose that godliness is a means of gain.
From such withdraw yourself.
6 Now godliness with contentment is great gain.

However we shouldn't throw away the baby with the bath water. It's important to belong to a family/church where you're growing (spiritually et al)) and as well actively participating in the church growth (spiritually et al).

Hebrew 10:24-25
And let us consider one another in order to stir up love and good works, 25 not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as is the manner of some, but exhorting one another, and so much the more as you see the Day approaching.

Interestingly we will never find a perfect church. I've come to find that some of the challenges we encounter in church are blessings in disguise to deliver us from pride or selfishness or anger or laziness or shyness or stinginess, etc But it's better to be in a church that is helping you grow more and not vice versa.
Church should make us grow in the Gifts and Fruit of the Spirit for good works.

Revelations 2 and 3 describes the various types of churches. I believe the church of Philadelphia seems to be the most praised. You can use the description of the churches to vet yours and know if there's a need to fleave or stay for your spiritual and material growth/edification/Prosperity.

3John.1.2 - Beloved, I pray that you may prosper in all things and be in health, just as your soul prospers.

Re: Why Do You Go To Church? by Onyiiobi7735(m): 9:39pm On Oct 21, 2023
Myer:

You've spoken well and thanks for sharing.

1 Tim 6:3-6
3 If anyone teaches otherwise and does not consent to wholesome words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the [a]doctrine which accords with godliness, 4 he is proud, knowing nothing, but is obsessed with disputes and arguments over words, from which come envy, strife, reviling, evil suspicions, 5 useless wranglings of men of corrupt minds and destitute of the truth, who suppose that godliness is a means of gain.
From such withdraw yourself.
6 Now godliness with contentment is great gain.

However we shouldn't throw away the baby with the bath water. It's important to belong to a family/church where you're growing (spiritually et al)) and as well actively participating in the church growth (spiritually et al).

Hebrew 10:24-25
And let us consider one another in order to stir up love and good works, 25 not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as is the manner of some, but exhorting one another, and so much the more as you see the Day approaching.

Interestingly we will never find a perfect church. I've come to find that some of the challenges we encounter in church are blessings in disguise to deliver us from pride or anger or laziness or shyness or stinginess, etc But it's better to be in a church that is helping you grow more and not vice versa.

Revelations 2 and 3 describes the various types of churches. I believe the church of Philadelphia seems to be the most praised. You can use the description of the churches to vet yours and k ow if there's a need to fleave or stay for your spiritual and material growth/edification/Prosperity.

3John.1.2 - Beloved, I pray that you may prosper in all things and be in health, just as your soul prospers.
Thanks bro.You have so many golden points in your comment, and am grateful for that.

Re: Why Do You Go To Church? by Myer(m): 9:47pm On Oct 21, 2023
Onyiiobi7735:

Thanks bro.You have so many golden points in your comment, and am grateful for that.

Thanks. It wasn't always so. Thank God for Grace and good churches.

Re: Why Do You Go To Church? by Onyiiobi7735(m): 10:07pm On Oct 21, 2023
Myer:

Thanks. It wasn't always so. Thank God for Grace and good churches.
Amen.The church I am currently attending and will never depart from is OPM( Omega Power Ministries). It's one of the few good churches in existence today in our land.

Re: Why Do You Go To Church? by Myer(m): 11:37pm On Oct 21, 2023
Why I started going to church again- Because I needed God's help.

I backslided towards the tail end of 2019. I was a foundation class teacher and among the youth coordinators in my church. I was learning about Grace and Law. I wanted to know the significant differences between the old testament snf the new testament. I guess God realised I needed beyond a scriptural understand,ing as a teacher I would need a practical experiential understanding.

I waited patiently and prqyerfully for more understsnding and I only wrote down whatever was revealed. I did not teach any thing I had not validated.
Then suddenly, I began to experience spiritual drought. I felt as if the Holy Spirit had left me. I who had anchored by life on the Holy Spirit found myself suddenly empty- prayer became a struggle, other activities became a trughle and to make matters worse, the bible began to contradict itself more especially concerning Faith and Works.
The study/thread is here under my pseudonym pressplay411.

Long story short, I felt ashamed and knew if I continued teaching it the foundation class, I might lewd many to error. Luckily my job took me travelling around that period, so I used that as an excuse snd stop coming to church. I prayed and waited patiently for God to restore the Holy Spirit.
Though now I know better than He never left me.
It also didn't help that I started comparing myself with others and felt my faithfulness and seeds were not yielding results as taught.
While I was busy serving God, my colleagues and mates were being materially blessed. I started to feel cheated.
So when I left, it was simolyba matter of time before I went back to my old ways and sins. Actually I got worse. My backsliding lasted 3 years. I guess I enjoyed the first half while the other half were the most miserable years of my life. I got depressed cos nothing was working for me. Got in bad relationships, lost money to ponzi schemes, career wise things seemed to get better but I just didn't have jot. I was depressed.

My the end of 2022 I was already battling with liver problems, due to my alcohol addiction.
I was running broke due to my reckless lifestyle. I was clubbing and dating serially and just doing every thing I had preached against.
I tried going back to church but I would actually have to be tipsy to even go to church. I went to various churches but never could settle down.
I even went to MFM for deliverance. Got back after 3 days fast and prayers only to end get worse after 2 or 3 days.

Until I ran into a neighbor on the street and he invited me to join him for midweek study. For some reason I obliged him. And it was a very small church. The pastor was preaching about Open Doors, things we do that open us up to demonic attacks.
He also picked interest in me during the service and after and genuinely listened to my questions and gave answers patiently. He also followed up and some how I I had hope of salvation again. Interestingly I would later find out the name of the church is Foursquare- Hope Sanctuary.

I eventually redecorated my life to Christ at the Cross-over service and my life has never been the same ever since. He preaches the Undiluted Word of God, without a care whose ax is gored. I would later confirm that the pastor is actually a deliverance pastor (as some call them) when He invited me for a vigil where God granfed him Grace to cast out demons from 3 teenagers.

So it's safe to say that God had cast out demons out of me too.
So yes, I started going back to church because life outside was crises for me. And in Him I found my Help, Healing, Salvation and the Faith that Overcomes the world. He took me from my broken state and is remoulding me to his delight and pleasure.
I do not yet know what He is making out of me, but this Much I know- He has in the space of 10 months re-ordered my life and made me useful for Him in every sphere od my life, even on NL.

When I read the story of the Prodigal Son or watch the drama, I well up with tears because that was me.
I had to fall from Grace to understand all I had and will ever need is God's Grace and Mercy.
So when I go to church now, it is not a religious chore for me- I go to meet fellow saints to know and to do God's will, worshipping in Spirit and Truth.

Re: Why Do You Go To Church? by paxonel(m): 12:56am On Oct 22, 2023
You know, I have always encourage people to go to church so that they will understand the bible and their religion Christianity.
But unfortunately, church has failed in their responsibility to teach people the truth, thereby also exploiting ignorant church members to make wealth for themselves over the years.
So, I have also encouraged people to stop going the moment they notice exploitation.

But it was as if people felt that if they don't go to church regularly, their world will collapse rhereby giving the ecploiters the edge.

Now, since the on-set of the covid meltdown in 2019 till now, the economy has turn sore and biting harder.
Through adaptivity, most people have realized that if they don't go to church, nothing will happen, heaven will not break loose.

Now, the exploiters are becoming broke.
To continue managing their private jets and their exorbitant lifestyles are becoming more prayerful.

The lesson is, nothing last forever except God

Re: Why Do You Go To Church? by Myer(m): 5:37am On Oct 22, 2023
paxonel:
You know, I have always encourage people to go to church so that they will understand the bible and their religion Christianity.
But unfortunately, church has failed in their responsibility to teach people the truth, thereby also exploiting ignorant church members to make wealth for themselves over the years.
So, I have also encouraged people to stop going the moment they notice exploitation.

But it was as if people felt that if they don't go to church regularly, their world will collapse rhereby giving the ecploiters the edge.

Now, since the on-set of the covid meltdown in 2019 till now, the economy has turn sore and biting harder.
Through adaptivity, most people have realized that if they don't go to church, nothing will happen, heaven will not break loose.

Now, the exploiters are becoming broke.
To continue managing their private jets and their exorbitant lifestyles are becoming more prayerful.

The lesson is, nothing last forever except God
Yea, a lot of people were religious. It exposed the difference between religion and worship.
Covid delivered the church from being religious and worshipping out of fear.

1. It helped us really understand the difference between the church as a Building and the church as a People.
2. Some of tbose who had idolised the building have been delivered. Some haven't.
3. Some of those who idolised pastors were delivered from pastor and prophet worship. Some pastors didn't handle/conduct themselves properly while some did.
4. Some of those who idolised tithes were delivered from tithes worship. They realised all the curses didn't fall on them when they didn't pay tithes. In fact some churches advised their members not to pay tithes and take care of their families. While some churches made sure they enforced tithes paymel even if it meant exposing their members to the Covid. I choose not to mention names.
5. It showed the Power /Authority of the government over the church. Romans 13
7. It exposed churches that did not fear nor respect the government. Even though Jesus Christ respected the government and obeyed the laws as long as it didn't not cause him to sin. Not going to mention names either.
8. It helped so many churches who condemned online churches or were reluctant, to finally have no choice but explore and invest in online church and social media opportunities. This expanded the reach of the church. And some churches are the better for it today.
9. It helped some families who were not having family fellowship to develop the habit of praying and studying the bible together.

I believe in every disappoint, there's a blessing if we really pay attention and pray for God's counsel.

And you're right a lot of churches hac failed in their purpose and divested in competition among themselves. Churches were increasing while godliness was conversely reducing. In fact, sin was ironically multiplying. It was as if as Grace abounded, sin abounded much more. Clearly Nigerians had continued in sin as Paul feared and asked, shall we continue in sin that Grace may abound? God forbid!

Nigeria was boasting of the biggest churches in Africa and even the world yet among the most corrupt in the world. It made no sense.
But through it all, God was also building his church.
There were churches that remained true and didn't compromise.

All this was prophesied in thebbible. We are in the last days and the bible warned us that there will be many false teachers, false prophets and false doctrines.
The Bible also warned of the Great falling away (Apostasy) as many will be lovers of self, rebellious, etc.
The Bible also teaches that there will be a new church.
The Bible also said a lot of hints about the last days that have happened, for as many understand eschatology. There are things that happened and that are happening that I am not sure if I'm at liberty to share yet.

Re: Why Do You Go To Church? by paxonel(m): 6:45am On Oct 22, 2023
Myer:

Yea, a lot of people were religious. It exposed the difference between religion and worship.
Covid delivered the church from being religious and worshipping out of fear.

1. It helped us really understand the difference between the church as a Building and the church as a People.
2. Some of tbose who had idolised the building have been delivered. Some haven't.
3. Some of those who idolised pastors were delivered from pastor and prophet worship. Some pastors didn't handle/conduct themselves properly while some did.
4. Some of those who idolised tithes were delivered from tithes worship. They realised all the curses didn't fall on them when they didn't pay tithes. In fact some churches advised their members not to pay tithes and take care of their families. While some churches made sure they enforced tithes paymel even if it meant exposing their members to the Covid. I choose not to mention names.
5. It showed the Power /Authority of the government over the church. Romans 13
7. It exposed churches that did not fear nor respect the government. Even though Jesus Christ respected the government and obeyed the laws as long as it didn't not cause him to sin. Not going to mention names either.
8. It helped so many churches who condemned online churches or were reluctant, to finally have no choice but explore and invest in online church and social media opportunities. This expanded the reach of the church. And some churches are the better for it today.
9. It helped some families who were not having family fellowship to develop the habit of praying and studying the bible together.

I believe in every disappoint, there's a blessing if we really pay attention and pray for God's counsel.

And you're right a lot of churches hac failed in their purpose and divested in competition among themselves. Churches were increasing while godliness was conversely reducing. In fact, sin was ironically multiplying. It was as if as Grace abounded, sin abounded much more. Clearly Nigerians had continued in sin as Paul feared and asked, shall we continue in sin that Grace may abound? God forbid!

Nigeria was boasting of the biggest churches in Africa and even the world yet among the most corrupt in the world. It made no sense.
But through it all, God was also building his church.
There were churches that remained true and didn't compromise.

All this was prophesied in thebbible. We are in the last days and the bible warned us that there will be many false teachers, false prophets and false doctrines.
The Bible also warned of the Great falling away (Apostasy) as many will be lovers of self, rebellious, etc.
The Bible also teaches that there will be a new church.
The Bible also said a lot of hints about the last days that have happened, for as many understand eschatology. There are things that happened and that are happening that I am not sure if I'm at liberty to share yet.
In 2018 before the outbreak of covid 19 , i noticed that Nigerians were too religious, so i set up this thread saying that nothing last forever.

https://www.nairaland.com/4914481/church-going-tithing-necessary#74007289

Our religious nature has not taken us to anywhere better.

As a matter of fact, there are no statistical indices to show that those who are more prayerful or engaged in spiritual battle of fire die by fire prayer intensivity for many years, or those who were more church active, or more babalawo or juju practicing, or more Islamic mosque conscious, are the most wealthiest or happiest Nigerians among the Nigerian population

Re: Why Do You Go To Church? by Myer(m): 7:06am On Oct 22, 2023
paxonel:

In 2018 before the outbreak of covid 19 , i noticed that Nigerians were too religious, so i set up this thread saying that nothing last forever.

https://www.nairaland.com/4914481/church-going-tithing-necessary#74007289

Our religious nature has not taken us to anywhere better.

As a matter of fact, there are no statistical indices to show that those who are more prayerful or engaged in spiritual battle of fire die by fire prayer intensivity for many years, or those who were more church active, or more babalawo or juju practicing, or more Islamic mosque conscious, are the most wealthiest or happiest Nigerians among the Nigerian population

I just read your thread. It was prophetic. More Grace to you and us all.

Re: Why Do You Go To Church? by BXNX: 7:58am On Oct 22, 2023
I don't go to church

Re: Why Do You Go To Church? by Wealthoptulent(m): 9:55am On Oct 22, 2023
Myer:
On the previous thread we considered why so many have stopped going to church and thanks for the contributions.

For those who shared their experiences and also to those who encouraged them in love and good counsel, you're blessed in Jesus name.

As recommended on the thread, for those who are still going to church, kindly share your experience;

-Why ryou still go to church despite life's challenges?
-For those who stopped for some time, why did you return to church?;

Na MEDICAL CENTRE for some people ... (mugu)

@bolded, I stopped going to church for 2 years (2020 - 2022) when my last marriage failed me ( but I realized after 2 years I realized na me pick wrongly ).

OLAADEGBU:

Pulse.ng
Re: Why Do You Go To Church? by BigDawsNet: 9:55am On Oct 22, 2023
To serve God and worship, its also the sabbath day, its my duty to keep it holy..
Re: Why Do You Go To Church? by kereman1: 9:55am On Oct 22, 2023
I don't, y do I have to go to a place where the pastor try to enforce his pov on me, without any argument. The congregation of over 500 adults, sits listens, swallow hook, line and sinker, that's b/s even in senate house there's room for debate and argument

Re: Why Do You Go To Church? by Khalling2007: 9:57am On Oct 22, 2023
Where did you see Jesus go to church in the Bible and sing, dance, and pay tithe in the Bible?
Re: Why Do You Go To Church? by Thegamingorca(m): 9:57am On Oct 22, 2023
Who will go to church? What has all the church going done for anyone? What has going to church done to help the fellow man? Dollar to naira now exchanges for 1190 to dollar
Re: Why Do You Go To Church? by livenija: 9:58am On Oct 22, 2023
To find woman when don lost hope so i can bang her n make her loose more hope
Re: Why Do You Go To Church? by AlphaNugget(m): 9:59am On Oct 22, 2023
To lay with some fresh beeches

Re: Why Do You Go To Church? by omoredia: 9:59am On Oct 22, 2023
So i no go become evildoer like Hamas
Re: Why Do You Go To Church? by isycollins(m): 9:59am On Oct 22, 2023
We went to church, to Him,to praise Him, to pray to Him and to worship Him
Re: Why Do You Go To Church? by AlphaNugget(m): 10:01am On Oct 22, 2023
Sun October, 09:00:01 AM

💵 1 USD >>>>> ₦1,174.120
💷 1 GBP >>>>> ₦1,431.854
💶 1 EUR >>>>> ₦1,223.807
💶 1 CAD >>>>> ₦882.797

But Nigerians will say "Hey, lets all go to church"

Misplaced priority

Re: Why Do You Go To Church? by AntiChristian: 10:01am On Oct 22, 2023
I dey on the bed!

Jesus didn't attend any church on Sunday or anytime!

If you think he did send the name and address of the church here right now!
Re: Why Do You Go To Church? by AlphaNugget(m): 10:02am On Oct 22, 2023
If everybody go church, who go watch pastor for television?

Did God Reveal Himself To Only The Jewish Race? / Why Is Pastor Chris A Fraud? / Non Religious Believers in god Come Here

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86