Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,280 members, 7,811,832 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 08:36 PM

Is This A Good Idea For Interview Abroad. - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Is This A Good Idea For Interview Abroad. (9836 Views)

Business Idea For A Budget Of 500k / I Got A Text For Interview from jiji .. How Real Are They / Invitation For Interview At Tek Expert (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is This A Good Idea For Interview Abroad. by Dododudu(m): 3:35pm On Oct 26, 2023
Good day people, as a Nigerian abroad (in the field of construction/project management), can one use the experience of ọmọ onílẹ̀ (land owners/grabbers) back home to answer interview questions especially on challenges face.

Asking because I recently saw online where someone said she talked about doing paramilitary training back home instead of NYSC during her interview and she got the job.

4 Likes

Re: Is This A Good Idea For Interview Abroad. by nony43(m): 12:36pm On Oct 27, 2023
Oga as you japaa dump that your Omo onile in the drain , don’t go and use it and scatter an organised and working system. Find other ways to pass your interview. Good luck.

46 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is This A Good Idea For Interview Abroad. by Meerahbel: 12:36pm On Oct 27, 2023
The way Nigeria be like this, if you like spend wisely your money 💵 go still finish cool

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Is This A Good Idea For Interview Abroad. by Bobloco: 12:37pm On Oct 27, 2023
grin

2 Likes

Re: Is This A Good Idea For Interview Abroad. by BlueRayDick: 12:37pm On Oct 27, 2023
Omo onile activities is something the oyinbo will not be able to relate with; the interviewer will be lost while u are narrating the event.

Don't use it.

What happened to u talking about managing grievances of workers, host communities etc?

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is This A Good Idea For Interview Abroad. by GboyegaD(m): 12:37pm On Oct 27, 2023
Avoid it as much as you can. It is not relatable in anyway and might throw up questions particularly, if the solution is to pay them and foster relationships with them.

I once talked about my ebanking experience where I worked on dispute settlement. A lady told me I was joking that it isn't possible to go to the ATM and not get cash. Walahi, I explain tire. If only I had listened to my mentor who had always told me to remove that from my resume as no one will believe such can happen.

18 Likes

Re: Is This A Good Idea For Interview Abroad. by WeirdAlien: 12:38pm On Oct 27, 2023
Yes and no.

Such a problem is outside your professional expertise, but indicates you have what it takes to take on unthinkable (unexpected) challenges, and also how to manage conflicts in workplace. So YES.

On the other hand, you can't say you paid them (bribe) or used soldiers to threaten them (human rights violation, assault). Those are red flags. So NO.

Dododudu:
Good day people, as a Nigerian abroad (in the field of construction/project management), can one use the experience of ọmọ onílẹ̀ (land owners/grabbers) back home to answer interview questions especially on challenges face.
If you can present you tackled the problem by engaging stakeholders, local govt, village heads, court orders, employing some of the omo onile as site workers, etc. - that kind of civilized approach (show you are sincere). Then, certainly use it!

4 Likes

Re: Is This A Good Idea For Interview Abroad. by Luisema4luv(m): 12:38pm On Oct 27, 2023
Depends on how you coin the English o

5 Likes

Re: Is This A Good Idea For Interview Abroad. by Femich18(m): 12:39pm On Oct 27, 2023
Using "Omo Onile" as an example ain't too cool to me. You go explain tire.
I believe it can only be used in thesis writing when using Nigeria as a case study.
I may be right or wrong. Let those that know more than us comment

2 Likes

Re: Is This A Good Idea For Interview Abroad. by Wealthoptulent(m): 12:40pm On Oct 27, 2023
Dododudu:

Asking because I recently saw online where someone said she talked about doing paramilitary training back home instead of NYSC during her interview and she got the job.

U go Write CSCs exam 1st to obtain License ,before u go dey explain tire ur Omo'nilę experience
Re: Is This A Good Idea For Interview Abroad. by GloriousGbola: 12:43pm On Oct 27, 2023
Dododudu:

Definitely

It falls under stakeholder management

This is a stakeholder quadrant

The ominile are wild cards. They have no interest in your project but they can fk it up. It is why oil companies have community liason officer.

You have to identify all the stakeholders, their potential impact on the project and plan accordingly.

Identify key leaders in the community and sort them so your project timeline is jeopardized and issues like theft and vandalism can be kept to a minimum

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is This A Good Idea For Interview Abroad. by mercysamuelson(m): 12:48pm On Oct 27, 2023
Just use an example of something they will be able to understand easily other than the omo onile thing.
Re: Is This A Good Idea For Interview Abroad. by optimusprime2(m): 12:49pm On Oct 27, 2023
Yes and no

Yes in the sense that; you need to bring out the creativity and ingenious side of how omo onile relates to the feild. (Trust me, I realised that in Nigeria very creative techniques are used to solve problems however they may be very unrefined and informal, but what matters is that ability to think outside the box).

Highlight your mastery of out the box methodologies and creativity of the omo onile strategy as regards to construction/project management.

No in the sense that you don't say what omo onile rightly is "Hooliganism"
Re: Is This A Good Idea For Interview Abroad. by 43Ronin: 12:49pm On Oct 27, 2023
yh
Re: Is This A Good Idea For Interview Abroad. by eazzzy1(m): 12:52pm On Oct 27, 2023
Interviews abroad does not test knowledge. They test speaking ability and your understanding of the language. If they invite you it’s because they know from your application how knowledgeable you are.

They are trying to see how you will communicate with customers, colleagues or your boss. Just smile and act like you are colleagues with your interviewer. Unless you lied about your knowledge, no question on the interview should be difficult.

2 Likes

Re: Is This A Good Idea For Interview Abroad. by Akalia(m): 12:53pm On Oct 27, 2023
Just do it.
Re: Is This A Good Idea For Interview Abroad. by engrkaz(m): 12:58pm On Oct 27, 2023
Yes….as an example of Stakeholder management…Do you have a way to link the experience to the Power-Influence grid?
Re: Is This A Good Idea For Interview Abroad. by TheFacelessMan: 1:09pm On Oct 27, 2023
WeirdAlien:
Yes and no.

Such a problem is outside your professional expertise, but indicates you have what it takes to take on unthinkable (unexpected) challenges, and also how to manage conflicts in workplace. So YES.

On the other hand, you can't say you paid them (bribe) or used soldiers to threaten them (human rights violation, assault). Those are red flags. So NO.

If you can present you tackled the problem by engaging stakeholders, local govt, village heads, court orders, employing some of the omo onile as site workers, etc. - that kind of civilized approach (show you are sincere). Then, certainly use it!

Smartly captured. 👍

You even turn it to mentoring the agberoes, counselling them, facilitating educational and vocational training opportunities.

Caucasians LOVE hearing things like these. The whole interview could shift to that area with endless questions grin

2 Likes

Re: Is This A Good Idea For Interview Abroad. by Helpfromabove1(m): 1:13pm On Oct 27, 2023
Why not it depends on how you present it that will make it make sense
Re: Is This A Good Idea For Interview Abroad. by Skillsnigeria: 1:20pm On Oct 27, 2023
Hmmm
Re: Is This A Good Idea For Interview Abroad. by adesegun121(m): 1:29pm On Oct 27, 2023
Ok
Re: Is This A Good Idea For Interview Abroad. by Bluntemperor: 1:29pm On Oct 27, 2023
nony43:
Oga as you japaa dump that your Omo onile in the drain , don’t go and use it and scatter an organised and working system. Find other ways to pass your interview. Good luck.

GBAM!
Most Nigerians don't understand that abroad is a well Structured-Society- and you must abide by their rules,policies and regulations!
I don't even know the Omo- Onile you want to form!
Is NYSC not different orientations ni?
That is why the Army are the Commandant of NYSC- training, experience and niches, even though we do agreed that the program is a little deviating from the original Purposes but is still okay for our diversity but Corruption is equally eating deep in it but can be tamed with the Army
Re: Is This A Good Idea For Interview Abroad. by Mindlog: 2:02pm On Oct 27, 2023
TheFacelessMan:

Smartly captured. 👍

You even turn it to mentoring the agberoes, counselling them, facilitating educational and vocational training opportunities.

Caucasians LOVE hearing things like these. The whole interview could shift to that area with endless questions grin

Counselling......if I hear! cheesy cheesycheesycheesy
Re: Is This A Good Idea For Interview Abroad. by Atheistan: 2:53pm On Oct 27, 2023
Let see
Re: Is This A Good Idea For Interview Abroad. by MasterteeOga: 4:58pm On Oct 27, 2023
Dododudu:

That issue of omo onile is "Nigeria Crazy Attitude Ltd"
Please do not take it abroad because them go first check your brain,say which kind foolish imagination be that!
Re: Is This A Good Idea For Interview Abroad. by phemmyfour: 5:59pm On Oct 27, 2023
Dododudu:

yes, even your voluntary works count
Re: Is This A Good Idea For Interview Abroad. by GloriousGbola: 6:26pm On Oct 27, 2023
Omo Nile exist abroad. They are indigenous people. Sometimes you meet naija omo o nile trying to talk like that. They says things like our ancestral lands and other bs.

And it is an issue. Google about different pipelines projects that have stalled because of issues with indigenous peoples. There is one stalled in Canada if I recall.

Keystone XL pipeline

There are also real estate and road projects that stall because one homeowner refuses to sell his home.

Also you can have issues with the homeowners association

So the same situations exist abroad. The only difference is that it is not a rentier thuggish demand from money.

3 Likes

Re: Is This A Good Idea For Interview Abroad. by ednut1(m): 7:06pm On Oct 27, 2023
Yes you can. Your regret mail will be swift

(1) (Reply)

Ptdf Selection Test / Petrogap Oil And Gas Calling For Test?? / The Globacom Customer Service Recruitment 2018

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.