Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,550 members, 7,816,336 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:43 AM

Help, My Gear One Drags After A Long Time On The Road - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Help, My Gear One Drags After A Long Time On The Road (900 Views)

How Do I Convert My Gear From 13 Pin To 10 Pin? / Please Help Me Before I Lose My Gear Box / What Comes To Your Mind When You See These Cars On The Road? (PHOTOS) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help, My Gear One Drags After A Long Time On The Road by td4realluv: 7:49am On Oct 27, 2023
Good morning great minds.

So, I have diz Toyota Avensis liftback 2005 and d issue I am having lately is that d gear drags on gear one after a long ride, more like when d gear gets hot. This happens mostly in traffic to d extent that I wouldn't be able to close up any gap btw a car in front of me such that keke (Tricycles) easily enters my front.

Plz note that when I start d car to drive in d morning, it works perfectly until when it gets very hot due to long driving mostly in the hot afternoons
I have serviced d gear, changed my fuel pump buh it only improved insignificantly.

My mechanic is saying I have to repair the gear, plz I need ur comments.

Thank u!

Re: Help, My Gear One Drags After A Long Time On The Road by Angrigowt: 8:38am On Oct 27, 2023
It needs complete draining. The gear oil has expired or there is no gear oil inside.
Re: Help, My Gear One Drags After A Long Time On The Road by fineboynl(m): 9:08am On Oct 27, 2023
Lol at repair the gear.

Go and buy new gear.
Re: Help, My Gear One Drags After A Long Time On The Road by GreekDon: 9:18am On Oct 27, 2023
td4realluv:

So, I have diz Toyota Avensis liftback 2005 and d issue I am having lately is that d gear drags on gear one after a long ride, more like when d gear gets hot. This happens mostly in traffic to d extent that I wouldn't be able to close up any gap btw a car in front of me such that keke (Tricycles) easily enters my front.

Plz note that when I start d car to drive in d morning, it works perfectly until when it gets very hot due to long driving mostly in the hot afternoons
I have serviced d gear, changed my fuel pump buh it only improved insignificantly.

Thank u!

Check if your transmission line is connected to the cooling mechanism. In most cars, the transmission line passes through the radiator where it is cooled before returning back to the transmission.

If the transmission is being cooled and the quality of transmission oil is ok, then a replacement is your sure option. Repairing a faulty gear in Nigeria is just a waste of money except you want to try the likes of radautoworks. I think they are in Lekki, Lagos.

1 Like

Re: Help, My Gear One Drags After A Long Time On The Road by Michael547(m): 1:45pm On Oct 27, 2023
You should also try and run a scan on the car.

Meanwhile.......I do professional pre-purchase car inspection in the southwest incase you need my service. 08167469103
Re: Help, My Gear One Drags After A Long Time On The Road by td4realluv: 9:47am On Nov 03, 2023
Angrigowt:
It needs complete draining. The gear oil has expired or there is no gear oil inside.
I have actully serviced d gear, changed d oll and filter, was just a very minor improvement.
Thanx
Re: Help, My Gear One Drags After A Long Time On The Road by td4realluv: 9:51am On Nov 03, 2023
GreekDon:

Check if your transmission line is connected to the cooling mechanism. In most cars, the transmission line passes through the radiator where it is cooled before returning back to the transmission.

If the transmission is being cooled and the quality of transmission oil is ok, then a replacement is your sure option. Repairing a faulty gear in Nigeria is just a waste of money except you want to try the likes of radautoworks. I think they are in Lekki, Lagos.

A gear master had a look @ d car & after much assessment, he concluded it was an electrical fault. A guru @ that job has bn contacted, just that he hasn't showed up. Hopefully, he wld come around diz week.
Thanx for ur contribution.

1 Like

Re: Help, My Gear One Drags After A Long Time On The Road by td4realluv: 9:55am On Nov 03, 2023
Michael547:
You should also try and run a scan on the car.

Meanwhile.......I do professional pre-purchase car inspection in the southwest incase you need my service. 08167469103

The car was scanned but returned no result bcoz d car was actually converted from manual to auto. In fact, it runs on 2 brain boxes, so we are having an electrical technician coming to look @ it,
Thanx
Re: Help, My Gear One Drags After A Long Time On The Road by td4realluv: 1:13pm On Dec 04, 2023
td4realluv:

Thank u!

Gd afternoon and compliments of d season to everyone!

So, I'm back here to give u guyz d update on my last post abt my gear issue. I finally got it fixed last week after much consultations.

I was introduced to diz guy who is a gear technician (gear rewire), we test drove d car together after explaining what d issue is.

He gave me an assurance that my car wld be fixed, so d car was fixed in a week & a few days after a thorough work.

I am using diz medium to thank everyone for ur comments.

However, one thing I learnt is we shld always try to explore other options to our challenges in life generally, share ur challenges, seek opinions and above all, pray for direction. What wld have cost me like 300k was solved with less than 60k.

I have driven d car to distances and it works just fine. No more dragging after hours & long distances.

1 Like

Re: Help, My Gear One Drags After A Long Time On The Road by fineboynl(m): 2:49pm On Dec 04, 2023
td4realluv:

Gd afternoon and compliments of d season to everyone!

So, I'm back here to give u guyz d update on my last post abt my gear issue. I finally got it fixed last week after much consultations.

I was introduced to diz guy who is a gear technician (gear rewire), we test drove d car together after explaining what d issue is.

He gave me an assurance that my car wld be fixed, so d car was fixed in a week & a few days after a thorough work.

I am using diz medium to thank everyone for ur comments.

However, one thing I learnt is we shld always try to explore other options to our challenges in life generally, share ur challenges, seek opinions and above all, pray for direction. What wld have cost me like 300k was solved with less than 60k.

I have driven d car to distances and it works just fine. No more dragging after hours & long distances.
what did he replace?
Re: Help, My Gear One Drags After A Long Time On The Road by sola12(m): 6:00pm On Dec 07, 2023
Kindly share the number of the gear rewire and location

(1) (Reply)

7 Up Trucks Menace To The Highways / Toyota Or Honda Cars Which Is More Economical / How Can I Get Plate Number For My Vehicle

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.