Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,047 members, 7,828,689 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 12:55 PM

As A Programmer What Can We Do To Help Fight Yahoo/cybercrime In This Country - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / As A Programmer What Can We Do To Help Fight Yahoo/cybercrime In This Country (432 Views)

As A Programmer What Other Side Hustle Are You into As U Are Yet To Land A Job / As A Programmer, What Will Be The Output Of This Code? / I Need A Programmer For My Project. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

As A Programmer What Can We Do To Help Fight Yahoo/cybercrime In This Country by Deicide: 10:38am On Oct 31, 2023
I don't know if these problems fall into a category where programmers can even do anything about it. I feel it is about the individual mostly. "If you are not smart, you would be scammed!!" but still, is there anything developers can do?
Re: As A Programmer What Can We Do To Help Fight Yahoo/cybercrime In This Country by Sirmwill: 10:56am On Oct 31, 2023
Create an app/website that can be continuously updated by any Nigerians with names of suspected or confirmed fraudsters with all the evidence (screenshots)they can use

Nigerians and foreigners can check up anyone who may want to defraud them

What if these fraudsters have multiple phone numbers?

With the concept of the NIN and the BVN, it is increasingly difficult to get another phone number or reuse a bank account that has been flagged

It is lack of information that still makes people get defrauded.

Even Nairalanders are constantly defrauded by fellow Nairalanders only to later come back here to confirm later that the culprit has been flagged by other Nairalanders
Re: As A Programmer What Can We Do To Help Fight Yahoo/cybercrime In This Country by MikeMicheal(m): 10:56am On Oct 31, 2023
Deicide:
I don't know if these problems fall into a category where programmers can even do anything about it. I feel it is about the individual mostly. "If you are not smart, you would be scammed!!" but still, is there anything developers can do?
Teach them programming and how you use it to earn legitimately.

2 Likes

Re: As A Programmer What Can We Do To Help Fight Yahoo/cybercrime In This Country by MikeMicheal(m): 10:59am On Oct 31, 2023
Sirmwill:
Create an app/website that can be continuously updated by any Nigerians with names of suspected or confirmed fraudsters with all the evidence (screenshots)they can use

Nigerians and foreigners can check up anyone who may want to defraud them

What if these fraudsters have multiple phone numbers?

With the concept of the NIN and the BVN, it is increasingly difficult to get another phone number or reuse a bank account that has been flagged
They will simply go into more serious crime. (kidnapping, armed robbery...e.t.c.
If crime-A no longer pays, they try another.
More problem for the society.
Re: As A Programmer What Can We Do To Help Fight Yahoo/cybercrime In This Country by Deicide: 11:03am On Oct 31, 2023
You do realize that to get tech job now day hard?
MikeMicheal:
Re: As A Programmer What Can We Do To Help Fight Yahoo/cybercrime In This Country by Deicide: 11:05am On Oct 31, 2023
Sirmwill:
Jesus Christ, this makes sense. But can't they sue for defamation of character?
Re: As A Programmer What Can We Do To Help Fight Yahoo/cybercrime In This Country by MikeMicheal(m): 11:09am On Oct 31, 2023
Deicide:
You do realize that to get tech job now day hard?
Well, without good alternative, they will stop the yahoo and start something worse.
Re: As A Programmer What Can We Do To Help Fight Yahoo/cybercrime In This Country by Deicide: 11:10am On Oct 31, 2023
Personally, why are you not doing Yahoo?
MikeMicheal:
Well, without good alternative, they will stop the yahoo and start something worse.
Re: As A Programmer What Can We Do To Help Fight Yahoo/cybercrime In This Country by MikeMicheal(m): 11:12am On Oct 31, 2023
Deicide:
Jesus Christ, this makes sense. But can't they sue for defamation of character ?
They can, and they will.
Everyone remains innocent, unless proven guilty by the court of Law.
Re: As A Programmer What Can We Do To Help Fight Yahoo/cybercrime In This Country by Sirmwill: 11:12am On Oct 31, 2023
Deicide:
Jesus Christ, this makes sense. But can't they sue for defamation of character?

Since people have been defaming themselves on Nairaland here, has Seun ever been sued?

I don't think so.

But of course
Enough evidence must be supplied else, it can be taken down
Re: As A Programmer What Can We Do To Help Fight Yahoo/cybercrime In This Country by MikeMicheal(m): 11:13am On Oct 31, 2023
Deicide:
Personally, why are you not doing Yahoo?
No need to.
Re: As A Programmer What Can We Do To Help Fight Yahoo/cybercrime In This Country by Sirmwill: 11:20am On Oct 31, 2023
MikeMicheal:
They will simply go into more serious crime. (kidnapping, armed robbery...e.t.c.
If crime-A no longer pays, they try another.
More problem for the society.

Someone once said this... Lol

That crime rate reduced because of the constant presence of Cybercrime

I think it's best to see it as:with the presence of Cybercrime, youths that could have been productive in the country and in life as a whole,they would rather seek shortcuts for money through fraud.

Most would never discover their gifts and talents till they grow old and die poor(don't whine nemesis) that's if they don't end up wasting away in prison.
Re: As A Programmer What Can We Do To Help Fight Yahoo/cybercrime In This Country by Sirmwill: 11:22am On Oct 31, 2023
MikeMicheal:

Trust me

It's not easy for someone who has lived a luxurious lifestyle recently to then stop and condescend to earn legitimately

1 Like

Re: As A Programmer What Can We Do To Help Fight Yahoo/cybercrime In This Country by Mhizzard(m): 11:50am On Oct 31, 2023
There is no how you can stop or eradicate it entirely.even if you get the chance to invent it,they would still secretly derive another scope to continue the act.let look it from this side.who created VPN?Of course programmer.which is use to hide their actual location.
Re: As A Programmer What Can We Do To Help Fight Yahoo/cybercrime In This Country by Hideaki: 8:27am On Nov 01, 2023
First Nigeria needs to be working functional society for the rate of fraud boys to deflate
Re: As A Programmer What Can We Do To Help Fight Yahoo/cybercrime In This Country by Sapeleboy911(m): 9:27am On Nov 01, 2023
Fraud is being encouraged in our society today. Almost everybody wants to cut corners in their quest to make money be it legal or illegal.

Some are suggesting teaching a Yahoo boy programming I laugh. Imagine teaching a local thief who is using knives and sticks for his operations how to make a gun. Fraud is still at a very infant level in Nigeria because many of the fraudsters lack programming skills and computer science concepts in general, it will only get worse if they have such skills.

The majority of Nigerian fraudsters don't phish, clone bank apps, or spam Nigeria debit cards and banklogs. Because they lack the needed skills. They don't even care about their own OpSec, as such fishing them out is not a difficult task.

The question remains even if you publish their details and fish them out. Will our law enforcement agencies act on such information and do their job without compromise? I believe that as much as the Nigerian factor is involved you know the answer is a capital NO.

Our security agencies are corrupt and lack good forensic and computing skills to fish out these fraudsters. Even if the so-called fraudsters are caught, in as much as they are ready to grease the palm of our law enforcement agencies, then it will be a never ending loop of business as usual.

In a closing remark, we can fight yahoo/cybercrime by educating our friends, and family members on how yahoo and internet fraud works, and spamming the fraudster's phone lines, emails, and social media pages. Even with that people will still fall prey to fraudsters, because mugu no go ever finish and story no dey finish. People still fall for sportybet account refill till date. Fraud will only get worse with time.

2 Likes

Re: As A Programmer What Can We Do To Help Fight Yahoo/cybercrime In This Country by Fhaze(m): 12:10pm On Nov 01, 2023
officialefcc isn't willing, i can report a substantial amount of fraudsters to them daily on twiter
Re: As A Programmer What Can We Do To Help Fight Yahoo/cybercrime In This Country by MikeMicheal(m): 5:21pm On Nov 01, 2023
Sapeleboy911:

(1) (Reply)

. / Distress Sale: Udemy Account For Sale / Help: My VS Code Doesn't Run Python On Terminal

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.