Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,826 members, 7,817,412 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:49 AM

Do Wild Animals Exist In Nigeria: Not Zoos O! - Nairaland / General (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Do Wild Animals Exist In Nigeria: Not Zoos O! (26061 Views)

Real Life Tarzen Girl Grew Up In Jungles With Wild Animals: Pictures / University Girls EXPOSED, Lesbian Party Gone Wild See PHOTOS / Animals And Zoos In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do Wild Animals Exist In Nigeria: Not Zoos O! by martin123: 12:24pm On Oct 27, 2011
What will you call the five guys that gang rape the innocent girl at ABSU are they not wild animals??

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do Wild Animals Exist In Nigeria: Not Zoos O! by Aydot99(m): 12:32pm On Oct 27, 2011
All wild animals in nigeria have been killed and eaten. Yummy wink
Re: Do Wild Animals Exist In Nigeria: Not Zoos O! by iukpe: 12:37pm On Oct 27, 2011
I am not a lion or a Nebuchadnezzar therefore I state that there are no wild animals in Nigeria.
Re: Do Wild Animals Exist In Nigeria: Not Zoos O! by cold(m): 12:52pm On Oct 27, 2011
Yes @op there are wild animals in Naija.You can pay a visit to the Yankari Game Reserve in Bauchi,the Gashaka Game Reserve in Taraba State or the Gumti Game Reserve in Adamawa.The Gashaka/Gumti Reserves are also protected and funded by the WWF (World Wildlife Fund).Not sure about Yankari
Re: Do Wild Animals Exist In Nigeria: Not Zoos O! by slinkky(m): 12:59pm On Oct 27, 2011
No they don't we only have wild people
Re: Do Wild Animals Exist In Nigeria: Not Zoos O! by MrCork17: 1:06pm On Oct 27, 2011
THEY HAVE MOSQUITOS. DONT THEY? undecided
Re: Do Wild Animals Exist In Nigeria: Not Zoos O! by grafikii: 1:14pm On Oct 27, 2011
i know there are pumas in ondo state
Re: Do Wild Animals Exist In Nigeria: Not Zoos O! by publisher(m): 1:22pm On Oct 27, 2011
@OP: Pls ignore some these shallow bastrrds on NL who's combined IQ is not up to one tenth of the wild animals mentioned on this thread.
To ur question,Nigeria has the largest stock of wild life in west Africa mainly in northern Nigeria. However of the big 5 game,we have 3 available,1 extinct and 1 partially available. Nigeria has the largest stock of elephants in west africa. Yankari is acclaimed to have about 500 elephants,Gasaka gumpti park btw Adamawa and Taraba(near the camerounian border is said to have more elephants than Yankari but this is seasonal as these elephant migrate back and forth btw Nigeria and Cameroun. There are forest elephants in okomu,cross rivers and ore. Hippos are found in many northern states,most times in large isolated ponds,there's a very popular one in zamfara state. Kainji lake national park also has many hippos. In the southern parts of Nigeria,u can find pigmy hippos-a smaller sized species. Buffalos can be found in many south western games reserves,oyo national part has many. There are also buffalos in other northern forest areas. Lions are the most threatened in Nigeria. Kainji lake park records occasional sightings,same with Yankari. Giffraffes are partially extinct in Nigeria,the last official indigenous giffrafe in Nigeria was killed by some villagers in the old Gongola state some time in the 1980s. However,migrant Girrafes from Cameroun are sometimes sighted in Gasaka gumpti. Rhinos are extinct in Nigeria,the last one was killed sometime in the 1950s,just b4 Yankari was made a games reserves.
Hyenas are plentiful in many northern states,we see alot of them paraded in lagos being used for entertainment by some hausa boys. Giant antelopes can still be found in parts of Enugu,smaller antelopes are in almost all nigerian states except swampy niger delta areas. Leopards are still rare but there have been sightings in Kainji,Yankari,Gasaka and Cross rivers. Crocrodiles are very common,even here in Lagos around Lekki,Epe and Badagry axis. For birds,Nigeria has many,a spectacle can be seen in Kyarimi park,Borno state where migrant birds from europe come too escape winters. Chimpanzees are plenty in Taraba side of Gasaka gumpti and Cross river national park. Baboons are by far the most popular in Yankari. Silver back gorillas are extinct in Nigeria but regular Gorillas can be foung in Cross river national park. Dolphins and sharks can be sighted off the coast of Ondo,AkwaIbom and Rivers during hamarttan season.
Its just a pity that Nigerians focus only on oil,ecotourism would have turned Nigeria around.
Hope my post satisfies ur curiosity.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Do Wild Animals Exist In Nigeria: Not Zoos O! by martinosi: 1:22pm On Oct 27, 2011
chidike:

So i was discussing with a friend a few days ago and he told me that his girlfriend told him that while she was travelling from awka to onitsha, they (herself and other passengers in the bus) sighted a lion by the road (the road is kinda bushy, but not like thick forests and stuff).

i don't really believe wat my friend told me, which has led me to ask. Do we have wild animals, like lions, cheetahs, leopards that are found in africa in Nigeria

i researched wikipedia, and from my findings we have leopards, lions and cheetahs in the wild in Nigeria. So my question is, is this true?? Have there been any sightings in recent times. Because i know that whenever i travel by road from the north to the south east, i see a lot of thick forests but in the midst of those forests u'll notice a couple of huts, which means that people live there, so wat are your thoughts

What a shame, and you are an African and you are asking this kind of question, see how ignorance
pervades Nigeria like "dirt",
Re: Do Wild Animals Exist In Nigeria: Not Zoos O! by grafikii: 1:30pm On Oct 27, 2011
i love threads like this, at least u get to learn something new, intead of the non sense we read everyday. thanks op and publisher u did justice, more pls

1 Like

Re: Do Wild Animals Exist In Nigeria: Not Zoos O! by Natasha2(f): 1:36pm On Oct 27, 2011
wow poster I'M SHOCKED shocked shocked shocked of course there are wild animals in Nigerian duh if you want to see them you can venture into the forest in case you don't wanna go to the zoo cheesy
Re: Do Wild Animals Exist In Nigeria: Not Zoos O! by pendo89(f): 1:43pm On Oct 27, 2011
very funny comments.Cant stop laughing.
grin grin
Re: Do Wild Animals Exist In Nigeria: Not Zoos O! by rhythyson: 1:46pm On Oct 27, 2011
We have plenty wild even over wild animals for Nigeria plenty grin grin grin
This are likely places you can see then in all shapes grin grin grin( you are free to add yours)

National Assembly
PDP
Ota Farm
and also ASO ROCK
grin grin grin cool
Re: Do Wild Animals Exist In Nigeria: Not Zoos O! by cold(m): 1:51pm On Oct 27, 2011
Re: Do Wild Animals Exist In Nigeria: Not Zoos O! by lovejohn: 1:52pm On Oct 27, 2011
We have plenty wild even over wild animals for Nigeria plenty Grin Grin Grin
This are likely places you can see then in all shapes Grin Grin Grin( you are free to add yours)

National Assembly
PDP
Ota Farm
and also ASO ROCK

Grin Grin Grin Cool

Even dem plenty for:

CPC
ACN APGA
OSUN HOUSE OF REP.
LAGOS FOR OSHODI AND IKOYI
AND FOR UR HOUSE@ OPs  grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Do Wild Animals Exist In Nigeria: Not Zoos O! by Natasha2(f): 1:57pm On Oct 27, 2011
@grafiki are you trying to say you didn't know we have wild animals in Nigeria?  shocked
imagine the poster ''saying not zoo oh'' so you expect wild animals to come to your house before you know they exist? why don't you go to the forest
@those of you calling names of zoo for the poster didn't you see where he wrote ''NOT ZOO'S OH'' undecided
Re: Do Wild Animals Exist In Nigeria: Not Zoos O! by grafikii: 2:07pm On Oct 27, 2011
natasha there is nothing wrong in reading real stories from my country. i know most of u wld rather watch national geographic. for instance i didn't know dolphins are seen here in nigeria
Re: Do Wild Animals Exist In Nigeria: Not Zoos O! by tunnytox(m): 3:04pm On Oct 27, 2011
LWKMD grin grin
Nigerian policemen are wild animals in uniform!
Re: Do Wild Animals Exist In Nigeria: Not Zoos O! by Natasha2(f): 3:08pm On Oct 27, 2011
grafikii:

natasha there is nothing wrong in reading real stories from my country. i know most of u wld rather watch national geographic. for instance i didn't know dolphins are seen here in nigeria
I never said that did I? i was referring to your comment ''i love this thread at least you get to learn something new''
Re: Do Wild Animals Exist In Nigeria: Not Zoos O! by Outstrip(f): 3:09pm On Oct 27, 2011
There was a story circulating not too long ago about a leopard sighted in UNIBEN
Re: Do Wild Animals Exist In Nigeria: Not Zoos O! by Oba234: 3:12pm On Oct 27, 2011
well first, Tigers are not indigenous to Africa, but Asia. Second, many of the wild animals that many westerners expect to see on the safari doesn't exist in Nigeria. The reason why is First, Nigeria can be broken down into two different climate. Southern Nigeria according to geography is a tropical rain forest while northern Nigeria is a very dry climate probably because of its proximity to the Sahara Dessert. One of the main characteristics of tropical rain forest are heavy rain falls and tall tress. The types of animals that exist in tropical rain forest are animals from the ape family mainly monkeys, gorillas and Baboon. These kinds of animals cannot survived in Northern Nigeria because it is too dry for them. I am sorry to say, but animals such as Lions, Hyena, Giraffe, Zebra and all those other animals from the Lion King movie cannot be found in Nigeria mainly because rain forest and dry climate are not where they thrived. These types of animals are mostly found in east Africa and southern Africa because many east African and southern African countries are Savannah grassland and Lions and other animals of such thrived in this kind of Environment. Wide plains are where you will find Safari which doesn't exist in West Africa. Lions don't swing on tress. Abeg! Now Tropical rain forests  harbors animals such as Elephant and Gorillas. the highest concentration of Gorillas in the world are found in the Congo and it is because of the rain forest environment. Gorillas don't live in Savannah grass land that is typically found in eastern and southern Africa.This is why you barely see Gorillas and Lions living together. Now that you know the kind of animals that can be found in Nigeria, the question is why don't we have Gorillas and elephants compare to the Congo since we share the same Geography. The answer to this would be because The Congo and many Central African countries have many uninhabited land that allows these animal to  thrived, but I don't doubt that 600 years ago, southern Nigeria probably had this type of animal, but civilizations drove them away and they are now mostly in countries that give them space to thrive.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do Wild Animals Exist In Nigeria: Not Zoos O! by baslone: 3:27pm On Oct 27, 2011
I saw hyena at Fadeyi bus stop this morning!
Re: Do Wild Animals Exist In Nigeria: Not Zoos O! by olawalebabs(m): 3:32pm On Oct 27, 2011
baslone:

wetin you come do as you see it
Re: Do Wild Animals Exist In Nigeria: Not Zoos O! by olawalebabs(m): 3:33pm On Oct 27, 2011
baslone:

wetin you come do?
Re: Do Wild Animals Exist In Nigeria: Not Zoos O! by sexlog(m): 3:35pm On Oct 27, 2011
i once sighted a leopard on d way to buchi.
Re: Do Wild Animals Exist In Nigeria: Not Zoos O! by tit(f): 3:40pm On Oct 27, 2011
ha ha ha.
stop calling tinubu/fashola local govt chairman hyena.
Re: Do Wild Animals Exist In Nigeria: Not Zoos O! by tjadeba(m): 3:51pm On Oct 27, 2011
Liger:

I wonder why people ask silly questions, I also wonder how come those silly questions make it to the front page. Poster, stop being lazy and do a little research. If you can type "nairaland.com" then you sure can type "google.com".

Then sir,what is the purpose of a forum when everyone can find meanings comprehensively to everything on google. If you do not have answers to questions next time,you keep quiet. cheers angry angry
Re: Do Wild Animals Exist In Nigeria: Not Zoos O! by kemmeye: 3:51pm On Oct 27, 2011
hahahahahahaha this one i actually want to no because the so called hunters have probably killed all of them. smdh
Re: Do Wild Animals Exist In Nigeria: Not Zoos O! by Homar(m): 4:31pm On Oct 27, 2011
We had ikiri in imo state but then rochas sent him to extinsion
Re: Do Wild Animals Exist In Nigeria: Not Zoos O! by dayokanu(m): 4:43pm On Oct 27, 2011
Yes in the sexuality section of Nairaland
Re: Do Wild Animals Exist In Nigeria: Not Zoos O! by Nobody: 4:47pm On Oct 27, 2011
All these bushman talk of elephants, lions, chimps etc baffles me. You cn readily see these WILD ANIMALS in places earlier mentioned. Civilization drove them into our modern society, that is why the forests or uninhabited areas lack them.
Check Aso Rock, you will get plenty of them assisting the LionKing. Same is duplicated across all the states of 9ja.
Re: Do Wild Animals Exist In Nigeria: Not Zoos O! by Freiburger(m): 4:49pm On Oct 27, 2011
aze:

All these bushman talk of elephants, lions, chimps etc baffles me. You cn readily see these WILD ANIMALS in places earlier mentioned. Civilization drove them into our modern society, that is why the forests or uninhabited areas lack them.
Check Aso Rock, you will get plenty of them assisting the LionKing. Same is duplicated across all the states of 9ja.
Civilization indeed. grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

A Thread For Nairalanders With Cute Dimples / 18-yr-old Victim Of Gang molestation Commits Suicide / Flooding Leaves Thousands Stranded At Abuja-lokoja Road

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.