Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,915 members, 7,835,061 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 02:51 AM

Can You Edit Someone Else's Android App And Make It Suit You? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Can You Edit Someone Else's Android App And Make It Suit You? (402 Views)

Programming Is Not Fun And To Make It Fun / Who Built Theses Apps. Wificall App, Oride App, And Kobo360 App / How Much Will It Cost To Create An IOS, And An Android App (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can You Edit Someone Else's Android App And Make It Suit You? by jackmrandy: 11:44am On Nov 02, 2023
As the topic says, is it possible to edit an already created app (Andriod and ios as a case study) from a developer, you remove some menus you don't want and compile it again before installing it on your andriod device?

lets look into fintech app as a case study. Be it Opay, Palm pay, MOMO, Regular bank apps and others. Lets say I own an account with PALM PAY. Normally if you install and sign into the palm pay app, you will see all the services they render, transfer menu, airtime top up menu, data purchase menu, betting top up menu and many more. lets assume a user don't want the data purchase menu, as well as the betting top up menu in the app, is it possible to remove those menu ?

Note this is for educational purpose.

I Remember some years back, when We were using opera mini browser for mobile phones , UC browser, BOLT , THEMES (JAVA AND SYMBIAN PHONES), We could tweak those apps to suit us. Especially on the aspect of appearance, welcome sound when the phone is turned on or off, and some other features.

please share your views
Re: Can You Edit Someone Else's Android App And Make It Suit You? by Weezyclan(m): 11:54am On Nov 02, 2023
jackmrandy:
As the topic says, is it possible to edit an already created app (Andriod and ios as a case study) from a developer, you remove some menus you don't want and compile it again before installing it on your andriod device?

lets look into fintech app as a case study. Be it Opay, Palm pay, MOMO, Regular bank apps and others. Lets say I own an account with PALM PAY. Normally if you install and sign into the palm pay app, you will see all the services they render, transfer menu, airtime top up menu, data purchase menu, betting top up menu and many more. lets assume a user don't want the data purchase menu, as well as the betting top up menu in the app, is it possible to remove those menu ?

Note this is for educational purpose.

I Remember some years back, when We were using opera mini browser for mobile phones , UC browser, BOLT , THEMES (JAVA AND SYMBIAN PHONES), We could tweak those apps to suit us. Especially on the aspect of appearance, welcome sound when the phone is turned on or off, and some other features.

please share your views
Of course it can be tweaked but consider the security, legal implications.

2 Likes

Re: Can You Edit Someone Else's Android App And Make It Suit You? by Sapeleboy911(m): 12:14pm On Nov 02, 2023
That can only happen when you have access to the app's source code. Almost all apps on Play Store are not open source. Besides that modifying a closed-source app without permission can land you in trouble, that is PIRACY. But if it is an open source you can modify it to your taste. The Kali, ubuntu, Xubuntu, and blabla OS today were all modified Unix source codes.
Re: Can You Edit Someone Else's Android App And Make It Suit You? by jackmrandy: 1:48pm On Nov 02, 2023
Sapeleboy911:
That can only happen when you have access to the app's source code. Almost all apps on Play Store are not open source. Besides that modifying a closed-source app without permission can land you in trouble, that is PIRACY. But if it is an open source you can modify it to your taste. The Kali, ubuntu, Xubuntu, and blabla OS today were all modified Unix source codes.

Yes. thats true, you are right about the open source thing. It will be fun if most of the apps release their source code so that those who want to tweak can tweak and get/remove any functionality the user don't want.
Re: Can You Edit Someone Else's Android App And Make It Suit You? by airsaylongcome: 2:12pm On Nov 02, 2023
Sapeleboy911:

This is incorrect. Kali, Ubuntu and the others you mentioned are Linux variants, completely different from Unix. Linux isn't a modification of Unix source codes

2 Likes

Re: Can You Edit Someone Else's Android App And Make It Suit You? by Sapeleboy911(m): 3:33pm On Nov 02, 2023
airsaylongcome:

This is incorrect. Kali, Ubuntu, and the others you mentioned are Linux variants, completely different from Unix. Linux isn't a modification of Unix source codes

Linux systems are derived from Unix and it is a continuation of the basis of Unix design. Linux is based on Unix. Unix being a proprietary software, it will always be argued that linux is not a clone of Unix. But we all know that there isn't much difference between the two OS. Just as someone will say C is not C++. But the invention of one made way for the birth of the other.

1 Like

Re: Can You Edit Someone Else's Android App And Make It Suit You? by airsaylongcome: 5:28pm On Nov 02, 2023
Sapeleboy911:

Linux systems are derived from Unix and it is a continuation of the basis of Unix design. Linux is based on Unix. Unix being a proprietary software, it will always be argued that linux is not a clone of Unix. But we all know that there isn't much difference between the two OS. Just as someone will say C is not C++. But the invention of one made way for the birth of the other.

That "there isn't much difference between the two OS " doesn't make Linux a "modification of Unix source codes". My grouse is with that last phrase "modification of Unix source codes". They are similar but completely different pieces of software. Like you said, Unix was/is proprietary. So it's source code was never in the public domain for Linus Torvalds to "modify". 8 know my argument is didactic but I wanted that clarification made. There's a lot of similarities between say an Audi, a BMW and a Mercedes. But they are completely different products that possibly reuse the same fundamental parts. Linux was a deliberate attempt to replicate Unix but it's entire source code was written from the ground up rather than taking Unix source code and "modifying" it.

1 Like

Re: Can You Edit Someone Else's Android App And Make It Suit You? by Possessedkid: 5:52pm On Nov 02, 2023
airsaylongcome:

That "there isn't much difference between the two OS " doesn't make Linux a "modification of Unix source codes". My grouse is with that last phrase "modification of Unix source codes". They are similar but completely different pieces of software. Like you said, Unix was/is proprietary. So it's source code was never in the public domain for Linus Torvalds to "modify". 8 know my argument is didactic but I wanted that clarification made. There's a lot of similarities between say an Audi, a BMW and a Mercedes. But they are completely different products that possibly reuse the same fundamental parts. Linux was a deliberate attempt to replicate Unix but it's entire source code was written from the ground up rather than taking Unix source code and "modifying" it.

Linux embodies the Unix philosophy but it's certainly not Unix

The same way MacOS is a variant of Linux but it's not Linux

Linux is a modified version of Minix
Re: Can You Edit Someone Else's Android App And Make It Suit You? by Unbiased1: 10:49pm On Nov 02, 2023
jackmrandy:

Yes. thats true, you are right about the open source thing. It will be fun if most of the apps release their source code so that those who want to tweak can tweak and get/remove any functionality the user don't want.

Very easy to say until you build your own app then a much wealthier competitor tweaks your open source code to create a variant of your app and use enough funds to market the tweaked app to grow faster than than yours. Open source is good but if you intend to make money from the app, making your app open source can be a very bad idea.

1 Like

Re: Can You Edit Someone Else's Android App And Make It Suit You? by dandylass: 11:05pm On Nov 02, 2023
jackmrandy:

Why will it be so? Bad idea. If you spent money to build app and make it open source others will come and tweak and rubbish your investment, how will you feel?
Re: Can You Edit Someone Else's Android App And Make It Suit You? by jackmrandy: 4:52am On Nov 03, 2023
dandylass:

Why will it be so? Bad idea. If you spent money to build app and make it open source others will come and tweak and rubbish your investment, how will you feel?

I understand the legal and financial implications. But it will be a good idea if they allow customers to tweak their app to suit their own taste. Definitely it's not going to be all customers but for those of us (you and I) who understand what the heading is all about, it will benefit us. Me especially. Wish I can just have a fin tech app with no transfer option, no data purchase option and some other options that are not relevant to me.
Re: Can You Edit Someone Else's Android App And Make It Suit You? by Sapeleboy911(m): 9:58am On Nov 03, 2023
jackmrandy:

I understand the legal and financial implications. But it will be a good idea if they allow customers to tweak their app to suit their own taste. Definitely it's not going to be all customers but for those of us (you and I) who understand what the heading is all about, it will benefit us. Me especially. Wish I can just have a fin tech app with no transfer option, no data purchase option and some other options that are not relevant to me.
What did I just read, a fintech company should allow a customer to modify it's app source code? Have you for a minute weighed the security consequences of such a dangerous policy? Most security firms even warn their customers not to download their app's apks outside their OS PlayStores. Anything fintech and open source should not be in the same sentence.

1 Like

Re: Can You Edit Someone Else's Android App And Make It Suit You? by jackmrandy: 10:08am On Nov 03, 2023
Sapeleboy911:

What did I just read, a fintech company should allow a customer to modify it's app source code? Have you for a minute weighed the security consequences of such a dangerous policy? Most security firms even warn their customers not to download their app's apks outside their OS PlayStores. Anything fintech and open source should not be in the same sentence.

Yes, sure before some one would want such, he or she would have considered the risk aspect of it. And whatever the outcome is, the user will bear the consequences. I love the days of java and Symbian phones. Tweak their app, not all but those we could modify, it comes out good in some while some app crashed totally, even our phone follow crash too, not to mention systems that had to be reformatted, just for the sake of trying to modifying a program source code. I really appreciate all the response you guys have given.

(1) (Reply)

10 Best Kali Linux Forensics Tools / Programming Lessons For Free / 4 Most Important Features Of Transport Management System Software

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.