Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,241 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:42 AM

Keshi And Oliseh To Replace Siasia - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Keshi And Oliseh To Replace Siasia (8984 Views)

Sunday Oliseh To Emerge As Nigeria's New Coach - BBC Sport / Osaze Odemwingie Lashes Out At Keshi And NFF Over AFCON 2013 Exclusion / Who Is The Most Qualified Coach Between Stephen Keshi And Samson Siasia? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Keshi And Oliseh To Replace Siasia by fayawo: 3:51am On Oct 26, 2011
NFF settles for Keshi, Oliseh
…The Sun Publishing
Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Except there is new development, the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) has settled for former Togo national team coach, Stephen Okechukwu Keshi and Sunday Oliseh, an ex-national team star, to take over the coaching affairs of the Super Eagles after offloading embattled Samson Siasia.

According to the plan of NFF’s Technical Committee, Keshi would come in as the head coach, while Oliseh is likely to assist him in that capacity. Both coaches are naturally familiar with the running and problems of the team, having played for the country as Eagles skippers at different occasions.

Sources close to the Glass House disclosed that the two coaches believe that they are ultimately the last options for the crisis-ridden Eagles and as replacements for Siasia, who might not survive the body’s sledgehammer tomorrow.

“The Technical Committee has interviewed Siasia and has submitted its recommendation to the board for final verdict. Definitely, they are not expecting anything less than what people have been expecting to hear. Siasia has no excuse to fail because he was given everything to succeed,” the source said.

The emergence of Keshi-Oliseh would certainly put NFF on its toes as the duo needs proper supervision to really work together.
Football pundits believe that the duo has a lot of differences and it would need a miracle for them to settle down and work together.

Oliseh was quoted as saying that he was ready to work with ‘The Big Boss’, Keshi, and Nigerians are waiting to see them blend in real light.
Keshi has valuable experience on African football as Oliseh is also rich in theoretical aspect of the game.
Keshi was Eagles’ captain for the 1994 FIFA World Cup and he played in five different Africa Nations Cup tournaments, helping Nigeria to win the 1994 event.

He has been a part of the coaching staff for the Nigerian national team, most notably, as head coach for the Junior Eagles in 2004. Between 2004 and 2006 he coached the Togo national team, unexpectedly, bringing the team to its first World Cup tournament - Germany 2006.

Having secured Togo’s unlikely qualification, Keshi was promptly replaced by a German Coach, Otto Pfister prior to the World Cup finals, after Togo showed a dismal performance and failed to advance to the tournament stage in the 2006 Africa Cup of Nations in Egypt.

However, Pfister did not last beyond a controversial World Cup campaign that nearly resulted in a player’s strike over pay and Togo remained without a manager until February 2007, when the country re-engaged Keshi in time for a friendly against Cameroon.
He worked as manager of the Mali national team after being appointed in April 2008 on a two-year deal. Keshi was sacked in January 2010 after Mali’s early exit in the group stages of the Africa Cup of Nations.

Meanwhile, Oliseh, a former midfielder, who had earlier applied for the position of technical director in the NFF, played 63 international matches and scored four goals for Nigeria. He played at the Football World Cups of 1994 and 1998.

Oliseh also participated in the Olympic gold medal winning team of 1996. He is mostly remembered for scoring the winning goal in the group stage match against Spain in the 1998 World Cup, as Nigeria prevailed 3-2.
A throw-in deep in the Spanish half was headed clear by a defender and Oliseh ran and fired an explosive shot from 25 yards and took the Spanish goalkeeper, Andoni Zubizarreta, completely by surprise.

Despite captaining Nigeria during the 2002 Africa Cup of Nations, Oliseh was omitted from the country’s World Cup squad later that year for disciplinary reasons. After missing out on World Cup selection, Oliseh retired from international football in June 2002.

Meanwhile, there are plans to also replace the like of John Obuh, the Under-20 coach and Falcons’ Coach Uche Eucharia for their dismal performaces in the FIFA Under-20 World Cup and Olympic Games qualifiers respectively.

In March 2004, he was sacked by Borussia Dortmund after punching a teammate, Vahid Hashemian while on loan at VfL Bochum.
In January 2006, at the age of 31, Oliseh retired from professional football after playing a half season for Belgian top club K.R.C. Genk.
http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/features/sportsonthehour/2011/oct/26/sportsbreak-26-10-2011-001.html

So is this the solution to Super Chickens problems?
Re: Keshi And Oliseh To Replace Siasia by babyboy3(m): 9:52pm On Oct 26, 2011
Keshi flopped with both Togo and Mali
Re: Keshi And Oliseh To Replace Siasia by Nobody: 9:40am On Oct 27, 2011
grin They will not last, Mark my words, Fighting go happen and we will not qualify for 2013
Re: Keshi And Oliseh To Replace Siasia by ogasir2011: 9:43am On Oct 27, 2011
NFF are just Useless< they just wanna sack SIASIA because he made them miss Foreign Allowance for next's yr AFCON. Keshi and Oliseh not a choice for replacement.
Re: Keshi And Oliseh To Replace Siasia by shevalync: 9:51am On Oct 27, 2011
ogasir2011:

NFF are just Useless< they just wanna sack SIASIA because he made them miss Foreign Allowance for next's yr AFCON.

same reason why the sack amodu lol! grin grin grin grin grin grin
what is good for the goose is also good for the gander me think.
Re: Keshi And Oliseh To Replace Siasia by freshcvv(m): 9:56am On Oct 27, 2011
Good.
Re: Keshi And Oliseh To Replace Siasia by Nobody: 10:01am On Oct 27, 2011
I can't put my money on Keshi+Oliseh, but I still want Siasia out.
Re: Keshi And Oliseh To Replace Siasia by Knight1(m): 10:10am On Oct 27, 2011
and if those ones fail too (one after the other i guess) they'll get okocha abi, then kanu, then Yobo? ehn?
can we really say coaching incompetence of SIasia is what caused our problem?
mscheeeeeeeeeeeew angry
Re: Keshi And Oliseh To Replace Siasia by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 10:14am On Oct 27, 2011
Really, Oliseh at least has some International perspective to bring to the table. don't blame NFF, as a wiseman once said,think of it as a choice a fool considering jumping off a burning platform into icy waters to save his life  grin
Re: Keshi And Oliseh To Replace Siasia by JAZES(m): 10:15am On Oct 27, 2011
I wonder when NFF and Nigerians will realize that there is
no rocket science to success in life. When are we going to realize that
what we need is not qualifications to tournaments but a team and to have a team
we need a dedicated Coach that will go through all the muddy waters with the team
he is building before they come out shinning out as Gold.

The best Super Eagles team took westernhoff more than 4years to put together, the cameroonians
that won AFCON back to back had the same coach for more than 4years, the same goes for the the Pharoahs
of Egypt.

The reason Naija remains the way it is is simply because we always want things to be done for us now. Instant gratification
is the reason Nigeria is the way it is, just take a look at all the sectors in this country and you will notice there is
none of it that has a long term plan.
We want it now and if we dont get it now, then head must roll. There is no nation that is built that way.

I WEEP FOR NAIJA cry cry cry
Re: Keshi And Oliseh To Replace Siasia by Kx: 10:19am On Oct 27, 2011
shevalync:

what is good for the goose is also good for the gander me think.

It ceases to be so if you hail from the state of the no 1 citizen of the nation.
Re: Keshi And Oliseh To Replace Siasia by mbulela: 10:20am On Oct 27, 2011
Keshi is too much of a deals man for my liking.
As a coach, he is no better than Siasia.
Re: Keshi And Oliseh To Replace Siasia by freshcvv(m): 10:26am On Oct 27, 2011
mbulela:

Keshi is too much of a deals man for my liking.
As a coach, he is no better than Siasia.

He's miles better than siasia in all coaching ranking/ratings.

coaches are rated through their records and achievements.
Re: Keshi And Oliseh To Replace Siasia by llexie: 10:38am On Oct 27, 2011
Please let the man analyse records of Siaone and Keshi b4 making comments like the one below.

freshcvv:

He's miles better than siasia in all coaching ranking/ratings.

coaches are rated through their records and achievements.

Achievement my ass.
Re: Keshi And Oliseh To Replace Siasia by freshcvv(m): 10:41am On Oct 27, 2011
llexie:

Please let the man analyse records of Siaone and Keshi b4 making comments like the one below.

Achievement my Bottom.

Another baby from the bottom grin
Re: Keshi And Oliseh To Replace Siasia by Rastamann: 10:53am On Oct 27, 2011
Good radiance to bad rubbish! what is the difference between six and half-a-dozen?
Re: Keshi And Oliseh To Replace Siasia by 1forall: 10:56am On Oct 27, 2011
JAZES:

I wonder when NFF and Nigerians will realize that there is
no rocket science to success in life. When are we going to realize that
what we need is not qualifications to tournaments but a team and to have a team
we need a dedicated Coach that will go through all the muddy waters with the team
he is building before they come out shinning out as Gold.

The best Super Eagles team took westernhoff more than 4years to put together, the cameroonians
that won AFCON back to back had the same coach for more than 4years, the same goes for the the Pharoahs
of Egypt.

The reason Naija remains the way it is is simply because we always want things to be done for us now. Instant gratification
is the reason Nigeria is the way it is, just take a look at all the sectors in this country and you will notice there is
none of it that has a long term plan.
We want it now and if we dont get it now, then head must roll. There is no nation that is built that way.

I WEEP FOR NAIJA cry cry cry

Thank you very much!
Re: Keshi And Oliseh To Replace Siasia by highland(m): 11:04am On Oct 27, 2011
Sorry siasia, NFF only knows success.
Re: Keshi And Oliseh To Replace Siasia by titusjk: 11:06am On Oct 27, 2011
Two Mafias replacing Siasia. I laugh for Super Eagle
Re: Keshi And Oliseh To Replace Siasia by bonason: 11:13am On Oct 27, 2011
I am sorry for Keshi as he is not a better coach to Sia1.

And as for Oliseh, hhhhhhmmmmm No managerial experience, no grassroot football knowledge.

Many Nigeria Premier league teams are struggling and lacking good hands why cant the duo prove themselves locally and allow people to clamour for them.

Only time will tell.

Should they relieve Siasia, we will go back to the proverbial Drawing Board!!!

NFA (No Future Ambition) and na NFF Be Warned
Re: Keshi And Oliseh To Replace Siasia by Kx: 11:16am On Oct 27, 2011
JAZES:

The best Super Eagles team took westernhoff more than 4years to put together,
Weterhof had 4/5 yrs no doubt but
If he did nt qualify for ANC, didnt win 1994 anc in tunis, didnt make it to USA94, would he have had all that time?
If you give siasia long term contract, yet he cant even qualify for tournaments, how will the long term contract make him to win laurel?

Coaches are not assessed by the length of their contracts but by the quality of the results they achieve within the period they are heavily paid to achieve.
What was siasia's record with JUTH FC, Heartland etc?
Even with over aged players in Olympics and Egypt, he could only come 2nd.
Re: Keshi And Oliseh To Replace Siasia by Ojukwu24(m): 11:23am On Oct 27, 2011
What a blind decision. See Naija jumping from frying pan to fire. That is why the credibility of those guy in the glass house is always question. Nigeria will continue to struggle until the stick with one coach for a long time. We don't want to sow but we want to reap what we did not sow. They are in a hurry because they never wanted him (Siasia) there. Keshi and Oliseh will only be fools to take up this appointment because they will get the same treatment Siasia is getting now, (unless they will be gaining something from them, just as they did with the foreign coaches). Anyway, I just hope this post is just a rumor.
Re: Keshi And Oliseh To Replace Siasia by skydeexie(m): 11:24am On Oct 27, 2011
, Both coaches are naturally familiar with the running and problems of the team, having played for the country as Eagles skippers at different occasions.

So did Siasia
Re: Keshi And Oliseh To Replace Siasia by unite4real: 11:27am On Oct 27, 2011
i laugh in eagle.
Re: Keshi And Oliseh To Replace Siasia by Kilode1: 11:59am On Oct 27, 2011
So because he lost a few matches? Is it by force to qualify for next world cup sef undecided

Why not let him continue to build rapport and discipline with a new crop of players he can work with.

All this quick quick result mentality sef undecided
Re: Keshi And Oliseh To Replace Siasia by freshcvv(m): 12:26pm On Oct 27, 2011
Kilode?!:

So because he lost a few matches? Is it by force to qualify for next world cup sef undecided

Why not let him continue to build rapport and discipline with a new crop of players he can work with.

All this quick quick result mentality sef undecided

Because he saw 5milla salary, he didn't bother to check the clause on the contract document, it has it on it that he must get to the semis of the nations cup, if he couldn't even qualify, how then can he achieve that?

Fact is that, Siasia can't handle the SE, na na na.
Re: Keshi And Oliseh To Replace Siasia by soladisc: 12:53pm On Oct 27, 2011
I still believe in SiaSia. All he need now is how to manage players sentiments and emotions and as much as possble control his pride. Oliseh has 2 yrs experience in coaching and he wants Eagles job! what has he achieved with the 2yrs experience? The other time he said he wants to be technical director @ NFF but now he wants to coach, so he wants anything that goes, probabaly because he is jobless and not competence.

I respect and like Keshi, but i still prefer SiaOne
Re: Keshi And Oliseh To Replace Siasia by kingjoe(m): 12:55pm On Oct 27, 2011
the real reason why we did not qualify is because our current crop of players are mediocres.when last did  nigeria win or even get nominaton 4 africa footballer of the year.how are they fairing in their various clubs. osaze and ik uche are arguably our best strikers.which clubs are they playing 4.nsofors club was relegated lst season. mikel hs nt scores a goal after passing ball back and front for 5 yrs.the truth should be told we need to groom  players like ahmed  musa to be able to meet up with change .ther are no more underdogs or minors in african football.we should just improve generally.a situation where  foreign players  come some days to a competetion can no longer work .things hv changed. we are still in analogue .
Re: Keshi And Oliseh To Replace Siasia by Vicrobor(m): 1:11pm On Oct 27, 2011
I THINK SIASIA SHOULD GO SINCE HE COULD NOT ENSURE A SIMPLE THING AS QUALFICATION FOR CAN. JUST IMAGINE THAT THIS IS 2013 QUALIFIER. WE WILL JUST BE OUT OF THE WORLDCUP JUST LIKE THAT
Re: Keshi And Oliseh To Replace Siasia by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 1:29pm On Oct 27, 2011
Vicrobor:

I THINK SIASIA SHOULD GO SINCE HE COULD NOT ENSURE A SIMPLE THING AS QUALFICATION FOR CAN. JUST IMAGINE THAT THIS IS 2013 QUALIFIER. WE WILL JUST BE OUT OF THE WORLDCUP JUST LIKE THAT

Any World-Class Coach could not qualify for Koshofe Lagos Island Cup using the bunch of non-committed, out-skilled and out-matched players SIASIA had to work with
Re: Keshi And Oliseh To Replace Siasia by gaffer: 1:37pm On Oct 27, 2011
What have they (NFF)  achieved so far, sacking and hiring new coaches? Simly Nothing

Christain Chukwu sacked!
Amodu Sacked!
Eguavoen sacked!
Lars Lagerback sacked!
Siasia about to be sacked!
Very soon Keshi and Oliseh not good enough to coach Eagles
These arrant nonsense wont take us anywhere!
Siasia is the most experience coach we have in naija for now.
lets give him second chance to get things done. I believe in come back.
Eagles will bounce back big time.
Re: Keshi And Oliseh To Replace Siasia by gaffer: 1:42pm On Oct 27, 2011
Every coach sack sack sack. Na wa for NFF.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

HIFL 2019: UNIUYO, UNICAL, ABU And KUST Advance To Next Round, DELSU Eliminated / Who Do You Think Is The Best Football Coach In The World ? / Your Nigerian Footballer Of The Year 2012

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.