Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,895 members, 7,817,638 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:03 PM

Hi Guys: Please Help Me Review This Site. - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Hi Guys: Please Help Me Review This Site. (1369 Views)

Plz Help Me Review This Site / Help Me Review This Site Naijastore.net / Hi Guys Check Out This Website I Designed For A Friend Within 2hours (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hi Guys: Please Help Me Review This Site. by nduaj(m): 6:23am On Sep 14, 2007
Hi,
once again, abeg could you guys help me review this site? The pages arnt complete as the client is still gettin somethings together , so review what u can see, and not what u can't see abeg.

Awaiting your responses.

The Site is; www.alkenzo.com
Re: Hi Guys: Please Help Me Review This Site. by henry007(m): 6:31am On Sep 14, 2007
y cant u first tell us wat its supposed 2 be about because i have a strange feelin about dis.,,.,.,, ,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,, ,i advice dat nobody clicks anything till he has told us exactly wat it is.
Re: Hi Guys: Please Help Me Review This Site. by nduaj(m): 6:37am On Sep 14, 2007
@henry007

Oga, its just a basic business website o!!! thrs nothin to be suspicious bout
Re: Hi Guys: Please Help Me Review This Site. by henry007(m): 6:43am On Sep 14, 2007
considerin d fact dat u're a newbie, its very suspicous and rather senseless, ,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,,.,.,,, ,,.u can do wateva u're askin urself
Re: Hi Guys: Please Help Me Review This Site. by nduaj(m): 6:49am On Sep 14, 2007
@henry007

Come, DID U JUST CALL ME A NEWBIE??
Oga, respect yourself o, get your facts before posting, Newbie in what ? web design or in Nairaland?

eigther way, watch your tongue (or shud i say fingers) review the site if want to and if not, lemme rest

i ve posted close to 6 sites here for reviews and i ve been on nairaland for months, so were did the newbie come from? eh ?
Re: Hi Guys: Please Help Me Review This Site. by Cactus(m): 8:34am On Sep 14, 2007
if you are counting the number of days you have spent trying to develop or months in the game as your justification for not being a newbie well poor u. you can have 1 year and still be a newb. lol. your site is bland go back and do your homework. it does not cut it makes my eyes jump all around the page
Re: Hi Guys: Please Help Me Review This Site. by nduaj(m): 8:54am On Sep 14, 2007
@cactus
Cactus:

if you are counting the number of days you have spent trying to develop or months in the game as your justification for not being a newbie well poor u. you can have 1 year and still be a newb. lol. your site is bland go back and do your homework. it does not cut it makes my eyes jump all around the page

pls, could you give me a link to any site u have designed or developed in tthe past?
pls could you explain what you mean by , "it dose not cut, it makes my eyes jump all aroud the page"
for peace and modesty's sake, i will leave the newbie issue out for now, but i ve taken note of these names.
Re: Hi Guys: Please Help Me Review This Site. by xanadu: 9:34am On Sep 14, 2007
@nduaj,

I like your site. The simplistic layout, in my opinion, is refreshing, the colours I think are not harsh to the eyes.
You might want to increase the refresh rate of the slideshow on the home page - the slides are changing a bit too fast, I think - perhaps that's what @cactus meant by 'making my eyes jump all around the page'. If you increase the refresh rate, that should sort it out.
Also, the image on the contact us page is not as sharp as perhaps it could be.

Otherwise - well done.
Re: Hi Guys: Please Help Me Review This Site. by syskay(m): 9:52am On Sep 14, 2007
nduaj,

I am impressed by the diversity and creativity in your web design jobs that I have seen so far. This one is no exception.

Keep up the Good Work.
Re: Hi Guys: Please Help Me Review This Site. by my2cents(m): 10:48am On Sep 14, 2007
nduaj,

xanadu has hinted at the frame rate. Increase it. Having said that, I do like that FINALLY someone has thought about not implementing senseless and nauseous flash animations. At least you hv given the user the opportunity to replay it if they show wish. Kudos.

Other things of note (and I know, u said u rnt done yet, but just so you don't miss them):

1) I would probably make the "al-kenzo" image a little smaller. This would help bring your left nav a little above the fold. At first glance, it looks as if all you have it the navigation at the top. On a similar note, I would make the "I would like to" section smaller as well. There is no need in making it that tall.

2) I noticed that not all pages have the left nav. For consistency sake, either you hv it on all pages or you don't.

3) on pages other than the home page, I would also consider increasing the padding b/w text and the black border to at least 5px. The text currently is too close to the border.

4) In FF on http://www.alkenzo.com/customers.php , the "al kenzo" graphic doesn't extend all the way to the right. There is a white space. Not good

5) Also in FF, comparing http://www.alkenzo.com/customers.php to http://www.alkenzo.com/contact.php, you will note that your graphics to the right don't have equal padding b/w their right side side and the 1px border to the right. It gives the impression that the graphics are "jumping" from page to page.

Finally, I don't know when you posted this but don't forget the pledge I asked that we take (regarding my comments about kheme) on another post. You even said, I believe, "well said". No matter how people piss you off, strive to keep the conversation professional and never personal. I am guilty of doing what I advised you not to do, on this forum, but I will try to do otherwise. I know, it's not easy.

Regarding being a newbie or not, I guess it is a matter of how you see yourself. However, if I may chip in my 2 kobo (abi, cents grin), I would say considering I have been at this for 8 years now, I still regard myself as a rookie. By qualifying myself as a rookie, it motivates me to learn more. If I regarded myself as an expert, I would probably feel I have reached the limit and there is no need to go any further.

I have developed too many sites (personal, for employers, on the side, business, government, etc) to count over the years, yet like when you watch the same movie for the second or third time, I still find myself learning something new each time. Heck, I just finished http://www.autotrader.com/research/model_info/index.jsp?restype=both (I know that by posting this link here, the guys at www.autotraderng.com will once again copy what took me and others 4 months to implement, in 3 days, but what the heck? I will share it nonetheless cool) last month and already, I noticed there is something I did that I could have perhaps done better wink

I hope this helps.
Re: Hi Guys: Please Help Me Review This Site. by nduaj(m): 11:01am On Sep 14, 2007
@my2cents,

you are indeed an exteremly mature individual. I want to thank you for yoour post. i will give complete attention to the corrcetions u have made. thank you vry much. and i guess you are rite about the rookie/newbie issue. There was absolutely no reason for m to flare at the homeboy, i guess am sori.

Thank yo so much,
Re: Hi Guys: Please Help Me Review This Site. by Cactus(m): 3:56pm On Sep 14, 2007
I do not do my work to impress you or others. they are done to my clients' satisfaction.

your site lacks visual focus. Arrangements, contrasts and balance.

top four middle blocks do not wrap text like the bottom two.

look at the space between your right border and where your content stops.

your quick links block too big = spaceholder

use fixed widths for this type not percentages

squinting to read text you have all the space why not make it user accessible

Oh this is a nigerian business website, what are white people doing in the pictures?

look at your about us page. background, alignment etc phew

try using divs you will have more control over placement and flow. or get your css right
Re: Hi Guys: Please Help Me Review This Site. by nduaj(m): 4:53pm On Sep 14, 2007
@Cactus

lipsrsealed , for the high respect i have for my2cents, I will not say whats on my mind to you, but rather, all i can say is Thank you for your input really appreciate it.
Re: Hi Guys: Please Help Me Review This Site. by Cactus(m): 6:29pm On Sep 14, 2007
if you want to say something why dont u just say it.
Re: Hi Guys: Please Help Me Review This Site. by my2cents(m): 6:50pm On Sep 14, 2007
thatz right folks,

Keep it professional and never personal wink
Re: Hi Guys: Please Help Me Review This Site. by nduaj(m): 8:57pm On Sep 14, 2007
@Cactus

if u think you can do somthin half as good as what i ve done here, i dare you to put up one (@ least) of your jobs, don't be a toothless bull dog.all talk and no action, PUT UP A SITE You'VE DONE LETS SEE IF YOU ARE HALF THE DEVELOPER YOU THINK YOU ARE, and don't use that lame excuse that you do sites only to impress your clients , do u think we are kids here ?

be a man, give us a url of ya own!!!

@my2cent
my apologies!! dis guy was askin for it!!!
Re: Hi Guys: Please Help Me Review This Site. by boraddo(m): 8:59pm On Sep 14, 2007
my2cents, im really impressed by the way u take time to review "all" sites, please keep it up.
Re: Hi Guys: Please Help Me Review This Site. by Cactus(m): 10:58pm On Sep 14, 2007
nduaj:

@Cactus

if u think you can do somthin half as good as what i ve done here, i dare you to put up one (@ least) of your jobs, don't be a toothless bull dog.all talk and no action, PUT UP A SITE You'VE DONE LETS SEE IF YOU ARE HALF THE DEVELOPER YOU THINK YOU ARE, and don't use that lame excuse that you do sites only to impress your clients , do u think we are kids here ?

be a man, give us a url of ya own!!!

@my2cent
my apologies!! this guy was askin for it!!!

It is so easy to control people. I wonder how far one can go with social engineering. I thought you never wanted to say anything bad not until I told you to say it imagine. why all the shouting and screaming oh who feels like crying now lol. dude no one is competing with you. if you think what you have done is your best fine that is great. I do not need your approval for the things I do. obviously the concept of standards are different with people. yours and mine are entirely different.
Re: Hi Guys: Please Help Me Review This Site. by my2cents(m): 11:29pm On Sep 14, 2007
yeah boraddo,

In fact, I was just YIMming with Afam a few hours ago on the same topic. Even when I was so busy to the point that I was working weekends a few months ago, I somehow found time to log on to Nairaland. It is very addictive.

Even more important sha is the fact that the more I review, the more I learn for myself. There is so much to learn and the only way to do so is by interacting with people. Even if you do something better than they do, you can still learn from such people, in terms of what not to do. In the end, such people perhaps had a reason for doing it their way. Finally, I also do site reviews for a living. If I am doing what I am doing here for free, just imagine how far I would go if you paid me wink

In the end, we all hopefully learn and it is a win-win situation.
Re: Hi Guys: Please Help Me Review This Site. by nduaj(m): 9:15am On Sep 15, 2007
@Cactus

Just as i thought, COWARD!!!!!!

In anycase, just for the records plllllsssss, never "lead me into temptation again!!!" .
if your intention was to make me mad; I score you 100% becos i was really really mad @ you (there were some statements you made that really vexed me o).
dont play with peoples emotions (anger is an emotion ), it is wrong to do that, dont Provoke people to get them mad intentionally only for you to say , its easy to control people!!! who do u think you are ?, God

if na play, dont try it again (especially with me)!!!!!

it was site review i asked for o!!! not emotional trivia !

I have given you thanks for the review you made, but the part of you goin about controlling people isnt funny @ all, u be winch smiley

anyhow sha, I don tire to dey fight with persin like u, pick on somone your own size, maybe Zeus cheesy

So let the battle end o , abeg and let my site review continue pls.
Re: Hi Guys: Please Help Me Review This Site. by my2cents(m): 10:19am On Sep 15, 2007
nduaj,

This beef b/w you and Cactus reminds me of what happened years ago in university:

Me and some white guy had a beef about coding techniques on a UNIX bulletin board (that's what we had then, unlike you lucky guys who have Nairaland. But I digress grin). The guy immediately went personal. Others on the board even told him so. Then I jumped in and wrote something to the effect that, "don't mind him. I won't post another thread on here in an attempt to respond to him. As my Dad once told me, 'Silence is the best answer for a fool'. Let's see if he is a fool.".

Lo and behold, the guy responded and the young guy that I was, of course I shot back. Another guy posted back something to the effect that, "my2cents (of course not my name at the time, just play along), I am so disappointed in you. The guy went overboard and I had so much respect for you when you quoted that proverb. Now, you are just like him".

That post hit me hard. When I looked up the profile of the 2nd poster, it referenced a photo which had him by a computer with a sort of disappointed look, staring at me. Of course, that picture wasn't made for me, but I took it that way. Moreover, he was a little advanced in age, so I imagined him being my father saying, "my2cents, apparently what I taught you didn't sink in too well". I felt even worse.

That is the "control" and "social engineering" Cactus is referring to. He cast the bait and you fell for it - hook, line and sinker. Now, if you were fish, he would have since de-scaled you, fried you, eaten you and egested you.

Again, controlling emotions is hard for some and the art is what separates the wheat from the chaff with respect to maturity. I can't stick my hands out of your screen and shake you around obviously so all I can really say is work on it. Hopefully you will get it soon. When I apologized on the kheme thread, it took guts. I could have chosen not to. After all, what do I have to lose? The chances of me meeting any of you on this forum are probably lower than the chances of winning a consolidated worldwide lottery. But I did it anyways.

Back to your site: If you haven't yet handed it over to the client, make the revisions, apply the lessons learned to future sites and move on. Simple, short and sharp. Stop the beef. In the end, it doesn't benefit either of you. You should engage in discussions that boost your intelligence and not your egos.

As always, my 2 cents.

1 Like

Re: Hi Guys: Please Help Me Review This Site. by Cactus(m): 4:22pm On Sep 15, 2007
Yes I am a coward. lol so what next. lol what will you do.
Re: Hi Guys: Please Help Me Review This Site. by otoidea(m): 11:16am On Sep 16, 2007
i like the simplicity, it just needs a lil more consistency, my2centz hs pointed out the areas tht need tht,
well done,
Re: Hi Guys: Please Help Me Review This Site. by nduaj(m): 1:03pm On Sep 16, 2007
@otoidea

thanks a million, one question though, are you the web master of storm media/records website?
Re: Hi Guys: Please Help Me Review This Site. by otoidea(m): 1:05pm On Sep 16, 2007
yes i am,

(1) (Reply)

I'm Testing Younaija.com: What Do You Think? / Hacking Challenge Prelab 1 || - Phynxlabs / I Want My Website Detectable By Search Engines

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.