Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,221 members, 7,815,268 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:57 AM

Tiv Umbrella Body Heads To Court Over Claim They Entertain Guests With Wives - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Tiv Umbrella Body Heads To Court Over Claim They Entertain Guests With Wives (33518 Views)

Tiv Cultural Group Dazzle At The Lagos Street Carnival (photos) / Beautiful Tiv Brides In Their Costume / Oba Of Benin Reacts To Attack On Octogenarian In Benin Palace, Heads To Asorock (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tiv Umbrella Body Heads To Court Over Claim They Entertain Guests With Wives by Islie: 11:08am On Nov 04, 2023
Incorporated Trustees of Mzough U Tiv, an umbrella body for Tiv nationalities worldwide, has instituted a suit against the Tiv Area Traditional Council (TATC) over alleged cultural practice by the Tiv tribe.
The allegation borders on claims that the Tiv man entertains his stranger with his wife.

Lead counsel to Mzough U Tiv, Sabastine Hon, explained that the cause of action is that the umbrella body of the entire Tiv race has dragged the Tiv traditional council to court to determine the veracity of the claim that Tiv men give their wives out for pleasure.

He lamented that the matter has raged for long, hence the need to have a permanent solution to it.

Hon also said they have lined up witnesses who are well versed in Tiv tradition and culture, positing that if anyone has anything to the contrary, this is the time for him to come.

“There can’t be collective defamation because we don’t have a cause of action to say that your tribe has been defamed. If we have a determination now, then someday, trace any Tiv man character anywhere, this judgment will be binding on him worldwide and it can be used to sue individuals.

“This is why we are in court, because as a tribe, we have been traumatised. We had expected the Tiv Traditional Council to have taken action since but they deterred and refused to take action, so we are here to enforce our rights as a tribe and nation.

“Our prayer is for the court to make a declaration that no such custom exists in Tiv land and an order of permanent injunction restraining the Tiv Traditional Council from sitting just aloof.

Read Also: Impeachment: Another court restrains Rivers Assembly, others

“We are hoping to get judgment and we are praying to get judgment,” he said.

Counsel to the Defendant (Tiv Area Traditional Council), Edward Ashiekaa, SAN, said the allegation that Tiv people give out their wives to strangers is completely false.

He said: “When this allegation came up, there were lots of complaints from well meaning Tiv sons globally and nationally as to what was happening.

“The Tiv traditional Council was about taking a decision as to the way forward to debunk this allegation when suddenly we were served with the writ of summons to come and defend this.

“Our defence is very simple, we are asked to do something about it. The traditional council is ready to take a decision on this so that whatever resolution is taken will stand as notice to all.

“We are not defending the character of the falsehood of this allegation but what we are coming to court to say it that the traditional council is aware of this allegation and is taking every step to ensure that is not repeated at any other time in future.”

During the mention of the matter, Sabatine Hon, SAN, for the plaintiff, acknowledged that the defendant served him with statement of defence which he has perused and will apply for substantive hearing of the matter because of the issue involved and the zeal in the issue.

While the defence counsel E. Ashiekaa, SAN confirmed that the defendants have filed service of defence.

“It is an interesting case, and to the best of my knowledge, this case has never been mentioned, and I join by brother silk to sit down, depending on how many witnesses they will bring.

https://thenationonlineng.net/tiv-umbrella-body-heads-to-court-over-claim-they-entertain-guests-with-wives/

6 Likes

Re: Tiv Umbrella Body Heads To Court Over Claim They Entertain Guests With Wives by madridguy(m): 11:09am On Nov 04, 2023
grin grin grin

20 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Tiv Umbrella Body Heads To Court Over Claim They Entertain Guests With Wives by Thundafireseun: 11:10am On Nov 04, 2023
grin
Tiv umbrella abegggg I no wan laugh grin grin grin

Out of every rumours there is always an element of truth .....

This umbrella is just seeking attention...

92 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Tiv Umbrella Body Heads To Court Over Claim They Entertain Guests With Wives by Taylor93: 11:11am On Nov 04, 2023
Fvck wey don cost

Na wetin una dey use do colanut

86 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Tiv Umbrella Body Heads To Court Over Claim They Entertain Guests With Wives by kestolove95(m): 11:21am On Nov 04, 2023
But una dey give una wife to guest na..

37 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Tiv Umbrella Body Heads To Court Over Claim They Entertain Guests With Wives by Curse777: 11:28am On Nov 04, 2023
cool

Dey play

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Tiv Umbrella Body Heads To Court Over Claim They Entertain Guests With Wives by Salary: 11:35am On Nov 04, 2023

**Joblessness!!

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tiv Umbrella Body Heads To Court Over Claim They Entertain Guests With Wives by benuejosh: 11:36am On Nov 04, 2023
It is very demeaning, foolish and unreasonable for people to actually think that about a Tiv man.

But i want to make it clear for anyone who will want to come to Tiv land for such expedition to please for the peace of the family he travelled and left behind that he should please write his will before living home. It is very important.

A Tiv man doesn't play with his WIFE and food. Going close to a Tiv man's wife when he is fully aware is like talking badly against Mohammed when you're a Christian in Sokoto or Katsina or Jigawa State. You know the result.

A Tiv man DOES NOT give out his wife as souvenir to visitors. You will DIE!

54 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Tiv Umbrella Body Heads To Court Over Claim They Entertain Guests With Wives by Dshocker(m): 11:36am On Nov 04, 2023
What pretty venita has caused

5 Likes

Re: Tiv Umbrella Body Heads To Court Over Claim They Entertain Guests With Wives by Omotaday(m): 11:37am On Nov 04, 2023
Lol. One of the top cultural rumours during my Sec school days

55 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tiv Umbrella Body Heads To Court Over Claim They Entertain Guests With Wives by pocohantas(f): 11:37am On Nov 04, 2023
No sensible person should believe such story.
Just like the story of Ngwa people eating humans. Sounds ludicrous.

59 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Tiv Umbrella Body Heads To Court Over Claim They Entertain Guests With Wives by Jesuschristus: 11:37am On Nov 04, 2023
Just tell us you have stopped,case closed

49 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Tiv Umbrella Body Heads To Court Over Claim They Entertain Guests With Wives by crossfm: 11:37am On Nov 04, 2023
Hehehe.

These Tiv people really fall my hand. We all know that such accusation is false,why make their claims relevant.

The Tiv people have a more pressing issue, which is how to stop the killings in their area.

The genocide going on there should be their priority,not this. A man whose house is on fire don't go about chasing rat.

26 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Tiv Umbrella Body Heads To Court Over Claim They Entertain Guests With Wives by wizelink(m): 11:37am On Nov 04, 2023
Just imagine
Re: Tiv Umbrella Body Heads To Court Over Claim They Entertain Guests With Wives by Bulldozer90: 11:37am On Nov 04, 2023
pocohantas:
everyone knows it's true.

18 Likes

Re: Tiv Umbrella Body Heads To Court Over Claim They Entertain Guests With Wives by jubrilELsudan: 11:37am On Nov 04, 2023
ABEG BENUE PEOPLE DEY HERE CAUSE I FOR LIKE CUM VISIT YOU OOOO

12 Likes

Re: Tiv Umbrella Body Heads To Court Over Claim They Entertain Guests With Wives by KingLennon(m): 11:38am On Nov 04, 2023
I need to visit a Tiv man to verify this information cheesy. Tiv people know what hospitality is all about...

8 Likes

Re: Tiv Umbrella Body Heads To Court Over Claim They Entertain Guests With Wives by Hezzyluv: 11:38am On Nov 04, 2023
If I may ask, why going to court over what you yourself know pretty well it wouldn't change?

I grew up hearing that story. How truth is it? I don't know. grin

But, in most rumors, there's an element of 2rut in it. grin

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tiv Umbrella Body Heads To Court Over Claim They Entertain Guests With Wives by TANID(m): 11:38am On Nov 04, 2023
Cool cool
Re: Tiv Umbrella Body Heads To Court Over Claim They Entertain Guests With Wives by Nahunger(m): 11:38am On Nov 04, 2023
Lol
Pin us location to your village make we go find out, even who commit crime dey win court case for 9ja 😂😂

4 Likes

Re: Tiv Umbrella Body Heads To Court Over Claim They Entertain Guests With Wives by oluwaseunamos33(m): 11:38am On Nov 04, 2023
Na mumu dey worry you pple. Na everything dem dey carry go court?

12 Likes

Re: Tiv Umbrella Body Heads To Court Over Claim They Entertain Guests With Wives by RandomFellow: 11:38am On Nov 04, 2023
E be like these ones done harvest their yams. Normally, these guys go to court after their harvests. If you provoke them, they wait till they harvest their crops, then take you to court grin grin cheesy

17 Likes

Re: Tiv Umbrella Body Heads To Court Over Claim They Entertain Guests With Wives by jackmrandy: 11:39am On Nov 04, 2023
Back then in school even our Social Studies Aunty told us same story. even use am set questions for us. So make una go court and address this matter now sharp sharp

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tiv Umbrella Body Heads To Court Over Claim They Entertain Guests With Wives by FalseProphet1(m): 11:39am On Nov 04, 2023
pocohantas:
Just like the story of Ngwa people eating humans.
Sounds ludicrous.
They do give out their wives to visitors, although it was an age long practice. But they used to do it in the past.

27 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Tiv Umbrella Body Heads To Court Over Claim They Entertain Guests With Wives by Chatgpt: 11:40am On Nov 04, 2023
Salary:

**Joblessness!!

tongue
Re: Tiv Umbrella Body Heads To Court Over Claim They Entertain Guests With Wives by Chatgpt: 11:40am On Nov 04, 2023
Salary:

**Joblessness!!

tongue
Re: Tiv Umbrella Body Heads To Court Over Claim They Entertain Guests With Wives by Roboto11: 11:40am On Nov 04, 2023
pocohantas:
Just like the story of Ngwa people eating humans.
Sounds ludicrous.

You say?

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tiv Umbrella Body Heads To Court Over Claim They Entertain Guests With Wives by Ybholy(m): 11:41am On Nov 04, 2023
I can’t imagine such.

But it does not happen only in Tiv Tribe.

I guessed I’ve had the same story with some villages or communities in Imo state. But in that case, they offer their first daughter to male visitors.

I can’t say. But I just paused to imagine such funny thing 😂😂😂

5 Likes

Re: Tiv Umbrella Body Heads To Court Over Claim They Entertain Guests With Wives by wittywriter: 11:42am On Nov 04, 2023
Salary:

**Joblessness!!

Apt adjective.

Wittyness.
Re: Tiv Umbrella Body Heads To Court Over Claim They Entertain Guests With Wives by LadyRosa(f): 11:42am On Nov 04, 2023
angry

It's an age-long practice and so, TIV men at a point did these things. Whether it practised to date? May not be possible but maybe, TIV men in their reasonable majority do not value their women that much. Unlike the Idomas and igboid groups, which share boundaries, TIV does not have a culture against infidelity so TIV married women sleep with men like breathe to the nose, and it's a habit their men taught them right and well.

It's affecting genuine well brought up TIV girls. Twice I tried to match some good ones with clients looking to settle down, but they rejected them outright on hearing they are TIVS.

Its far easier to see TIV married women in local meat joints drinking and eating meat with men than any other Nigerian tribe.

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tiv Umbrella Body Heads To Court Over Claim They Entertain Guests With Wives by Cantonese: 11:42am On Nov 04, 2023
Hmm.

But no be today we dey hear that story na.

Is it for the court to determine or the people to make public announcements worldwide, with subtle threats, to prevent men from making sexual advances on their friends wives?

We’re they practicing it before? How did it become such a story and they watched it develop to this extent over the years?

I always wondered how a man would serve his wife to his guests for the night. It will be very good to clear the air over the matter.

5 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

85-Year-Old Emir Farouk Welcomes A Daughter With Young Wife (Pics) / British Tottenham Choir Singing Yoruba song - Ise Oluwa / Oodua beauty contestants At Ooni Ogunwusi Adeyeye's Palace (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.