Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,465 members, 7,864,949 topics. Date: Wednesday, 19 June 2024 at 09:55 AM

10 Things My Diagnosis Taught Me - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / 10 Things My Diagnosis Taught Me (469 Views)

The Bitter Experience That Taught Me A Lesson To Save Money (True Story) / Pictures Of My Things My Brother Destroyed Out Of Anger. / How A Pant Taught Me How To Always Mind My Business (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Things My Diagnosis Taught Me by toon64545: 8:52am On Nov 07, 2023
Living with ADHD+BPD is no joke. I got diagnosed this year at the age of 33 and these are some of the discoveries I made.

1. Adolescence is the most important developmental stage in life.

2. A promising gifted child with a bright future can live a wasted life if plagued by mental health disorder(s).

3. The boarding house is not for all children.

4. Late diagnosis makes life more difficult.

5. You must learn to forgive yourself for all the things you did wrong but must also learn to live with whatever consequence(s) your disorders left behind.

6. Work hard to restore peace with those you offended

7. Don't let your diagnosis define you.

8. Stigma will come but don't let that pull you down.

9. You can still make it, just don't give up.

10. Mental health is as real as physical health, seeking help doesn't make you weak.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Things My Diagnosis Taught Me by LordReed(m): 9:08pm On Nov 07, 2023
I salute your resolve.

toon64545:
Living with ADHD+BPD is no joke. I got diagnosed this year at the age of 33 and these are some of the discoveries I made.

1. Adolescence is the most important developmental stage in life.

2. A promising gifted child with a bright future can live a wasted life if plagued by mental health disorder(s).

3. The boarding house is not for all children.

4. Late diagnosis makes life more difficult.

5. You must learn to forgive yourself for all things you did wrong, but must learn to live whatever consequence(s) your disorders left behind.

6. Work hard to restore peace with those you offended

7. Don't let your diagnosis define you.

8. Stigma will come but don't let that pull you down.

9. You can still make it, just don't give up.

10. Mental health is as real as physical health, seeking help doesn't make you weak.
Re: 10 Things My Diagnosis Taught Me by toon64545: 2:45am On Nov 08, 2023
LordReed:
I salute your resolve.

Thanks
Re: 10 Things My Diagnosis Taught Me by Mindlog: 8:20am On Nov 08, 2023
Nice reflections.

There need to be more awareness, so parents can see the need for early assessments and intervention.

1 Like

Re: 10 Things My Diagnosis Taught Me by toon64545: 1:50pm On Nov 08, 2023
Mindlog:
Nice reflections.

There need to be more awareness, so parents can see the need for early assessments and intervention.

Parents really have a lot of work to do.
Re: 10 Things My Diagnosis Taught Me by Mindlog: 5:04pm On Nov 08, 2023
toon64545:

Parents really have a lot of work to do.

I am into neurodevelopmental assessments, do QB testing for ADHD assessment and when I get to enlighten some Nigerian parents on the need to have their children assessed for glaring markers of some neurodevelopmental disorders, they reject in Jesus name.
Re: 10 Things My Diagnosis Taught Me by toon64545: 7:48pm On Nov 08, 2023
Mindlog:

I am into neurodevelopmental assessments, do QB testing for ADHD assessment and when I get to enlighten some Nigerian parents on the need to have their children assessed for glaring markers of some neurodevelopmental disorders, they reject in Jesus name.

It sounds strange to most, even with all the visible havoc this has caused me till this age of 33 my mom still finds it difficult to understand and believe...I don explain tire...The only solution is for survivors to come out and let them know it's real...as for me since the disorder has refused to let me have a career till the point of diagnosis, I have decided to spend the rest of my life creating awareness about mental health...that alone will give me fulfillment and satisfaction cos I can't just imagine another child suffering all I went through. My transformation still looks like a mystery to me, from being a celebrated academically gifted child to an adult who has nothing to show for it.

Please don't let their responses stop you from doing the good work, those who will listen will do.
Re: 10 Things My Diagnosis Taught Me by toon64545: 7:57pm On Nov 08, 2023
Mindlog:
Nice reflections.

Re: 10 Things My Diagnosis Taught Me by toon64545: 7:59pm On Nov 08, 2023
Mindlog:
Nice reflections.

Yes.

(1) (Reply)

Fairly Used Executive Sofas For Living Room Giveaway / I Want To Report Immigration Fraud / The Thing That Follows

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.